Which is the most important feature VII

Roland

Which is the most important feature VII  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most important feature VII

• Polishing and refining and designing Navezgane.
    • Solving current problems with and improving Random Gen

I think it’s an easy bet what will win but as a conversation starter perhaps it can have some merit. This was actually requested in the MEME thread. So have at it and be respectful of differing opinions. Obviously this not an either or question since we will eventually have both but more of a question of where should the devs be focusing most of their time and energy. I’m interested in hearing thoughts on both sides.

Random gen, easily. Ultimately it would be nice if the game had several predefined maps of varying sizes to go along with an uber RWG engine. Predefined maps are great for modders building scenarios and campaigns which could be fun.

But the big money will always be on long term replay value and RWG has a lot more of that going for it than Navezgane does.

I´d have to say Navezgane. It is predetermined area with defined locations and story. I think it would be less work to polish that than the randomgen since there is so much more that could and need be done, that it could potentially drag on for a very long time to improve.

Navezgane is in a really good spot in my opinion that only it really needs is the main story and features that support it. Sidequests etc could be done after since those can work in randomgen as well.

Random gen, easily. Ultimately it would be nice if the game had several predefined maps of varying sizes to go along with an uber RWG engine. Predefined maps are great for modders building scenarios and campaigns which could be fun.

But the big money will always be on long term replay value and RWG has a lot more of that going for it than Navezgane does.

I agree.....BUT.....eventually what could be better than random gen would be dozens of thoughtfully designed maps with a nice quest chain to tell a story. True, each map would only be fun to play once but with enough of them you would have quite a bit of replay value.

Polishing Navezgane gets the devs to include better tools that will hopefully become part of the level editor so that user created maps will proliferate and be filled with awesomely designed terrain landmarks (like the chasm) that won’t ever be able to be included in random gen which will always have generic features rather than designed and sculpted features.

I love random gen, but to be honest, a 10km diameter world in single player is kind of ridiculous. Even one largish city has more POIs than can realistically be explored. Sure, you can get on your minibike and explore, but you'll hit level 200 long before you can explore and loot on the map.

Although I voted for random gen, if Navezgane has a good story and quests at launch, I will almost certainly start there. I've intentionally avoided Navezgane in Alpha because I want it to be new and fresh when the game launches. Until then I'm happy to create new random gen worlds, explore them until it gets boring, and start over again.

I agree.....BUT.....eventually what could be better than random gen would be dozens of thoughtfully designed maps with a nice quest chain to tell a story. True, each map would only be fun to play once but with enough of them you would have quite a bit of replay value.

Polishing Navezgane gets the devs to include better tools that will hopefully become part of the level editor so that user created maps will proliferate and be filled with awesomely designed terrain landmarks (like the chasm) that won’t ever be able to be included in random gen which will always have generic features rather than designed and sculpted features.

If they can make a realistic, working model of the universe, they can make a realistic random map.

Random gen.

The size of Random gen can be set for any size. I just don't personally view it's size as an issue for SP or MP. Put in an option in the settings for those that want a smaller play field.

I guess I wouldn't mind a preset map 'IF' we had the capabilities to add multiple pre made height maps to it. Naves in the center and "player made preset maps" or "TFP preset maps" around it. Especially if they could be randomly laid around it.

Edit: Some do have the capabilities to make preset height maps >.> but it would be nice if TFP gave us the enhanced tools to build upon and beyond to place our maps easier.

I think it really comes down to who cares about a story. Most are happy with open world choose your own objectives gameplay that favors randomgen. But there are some who are hoping for a good story in a well designed map and they are going to feel more excited to have Navezgane done.

I think it’s an easy bet

This one definitely was for me - Random Gen by a mile. That isn't to say I don't like Navazgane at all, or see it is the logical place for preset story elements to be embedded if the Pimps go deep down that path, but Random Gen is, as others have said, where the long term re-playability is for me and what keeps me coming back.

I voted Random Gen, As I am not a fan of static maps in survival type games as once you know where things are it reduces the challenge by a large amount, compared to random gen where you never know what your going to find. They could make the story quests work in random gen too, just have them tied to certan poi's that spawn and have quest flags in the random gen world.

I never tire of Random Gen, so this was an easy vote.

However I do like having both worlds and appreciate the differences from one another. Who doesn't want more 7DTD, right? And I'll consider this a well-rounded trio when Horde Mode comes back =)

I recently revisited Navezgane and did enjoy all the map changes that were added. I haven't played it in quite a few alphas.

(I didn't see any easter eggs, Maharin :laugh:)

There aren't enough PoI's in Navezgane of each type to hold my interest. In RWG, you find a city and it will probably have at least a few types of Signed stores, possibly 2 of one type, and maybe a school or 2 with a library. Navezgane has few of those, in a much smaller area that's easy to memorize, and in MP that means somebody who knows the map can run around and loot all of the good PoI's, leaving nothing of value for people who join later or don't know the map. I would also be much more interested in Navezgane if it becomes Story/Campaign mode, with RWG more focused on being MP. A story seems like it would be easier to implement on a pre-planned map.

So if "Polishing and refining" means adding enough to make the map interesting for a longer game, or MP, then that would be good. But I would much rather see things like the canyon be added to RWG. Even if there is no Gimmie entrance like the mine shaft, it's not real hard to make a staircase down into the bottom. Putting interesting caverns back in, along with the planned Dungeon PoI's would be great. Underground is intense with the darkness and fear of cave-ins and such, meaning it's great fun that can give a real sense of fear when you're building a suspension bridge from the ceiling and you know one wrong move is a fall to near-certain-death. And if ferals and bears spawned in caverns as I read so long ago, that would make them the whole F*cking game.

Adding NPCs and quests to Navezgane (and even perhaps to RGW afterwards) are core features of the game that should be implemented during alpha, while improving RGW is just tweaking that could be done afterwards in beta. Of course, most members here are experienced players who are already looking for replay value with RGW so they will want improvements to it first.

Random Gen. Random Gen has much more replay value, because it is a new world everytime I start over. I want to explore, to expect the unexpected. That makes 7D2D so great.

I don't play Navezgane and Random Gen is one of the big sales arguments this game has in comparison to other games. Definitely should be first priority!

I respectfully disagree here. Especially if I decide to play with PvP enabled, random gen is a level playing field for everyone. This is the challenge everyone has to adapt to. More difficult than just learning on map X I have to do Y and then Z in order to secure A und B. This game is not SuperMario World for a reason.

I think it really comes down to who cares about a story. Most are happy with open world choose your own objectives gameplay that favors randomgen. But there are some who are hoping for a good story in a well designed map and they are going to feel more excited to have Navezgane done.

I think for predisigned maps, there are a lot of decent survival games out there.

Random Gen however, is a unique selling oint.

I'm sure they will do both eventually, but what will satisfy more people is working on a good random map with as flexible a quest/mission system possible.

With Navazgane, a lot of dev man hours for a minimum of play hours doesn't sound like a good trade off. I would play Navazgane maybe 2-3 times, but then stop playing until random maps are good.

Archived