Which is the more important main feature of the game VI

Roland

Which is the more important main feature of the game VI  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the more important main feature of the game VI

• POI Editor and huge block id limit increase
    • Moddable dialog trees and quest objectives

So if you aren't into modding yourself you can still vote for the one you are most excited to see be part of the mods you might play and if you aren't into either creating mods or playing mods then please use this window of time before A17 releases to pull that particular trigger and download a mod and try it out. Just ask if you don't know how and people will compete to give you the best and most clear step by step answer on what to do. You could be playing an overhaul mod in just an hour or two from right now(depending on your download speed) and be experiencing a totally new and fresh way to play this game.

So to be clear for those who play mods but don't do modding the first option would be voting for more POI's with lots more variety in custom block types than we currently have.

The second option would be voting for more user created objectives and dialogues for quests so that an overhaul mod could have a story line to go with it.

Both of these are coming so it isn't one or the other. It is simply which you are MOST excited for.

So if you aren't into modding yourself you can still vote for the one you are most excited to see be part of the mods you might play and if you aren't into either creating mods or playing mods then please use this window of time before A17 releases to pull that particular trigger and download a mod and try it out. Just ask if you don't know how and people will compete to give you the best and most clear step by step answer on what to do. You could be playing an overhaul mod in just an hour or two from right now(depending on your download speed) and experiencing a totally new way to play this game.

This Is an amazing sentiment and I support it 100 percent.

But... what does this have to do with a main feature of the game. MOAR POLLZ ROLAND! I expected POLLZ!

This Is an amazing sentiment and I support it 100 percent.

But... what does this have to do with a main feature of the game. MOAR POLLZ ROLAND! I expected POLLZ!

lol...patience. I have to create the thread first and then the poll comes second. It is up now.

I voted quests. From what Prime said, you will be able to do quests and once fulfilled return to the trader to collect a reward. Part of that reward could be another quest meaning quests could be chained into a main storyline group of quests that could give purpose and keep things interesting in.....you guessed it....the late game. This could be super exciting and hopefully with a good variety of quest types breathe new life into the game for those of us who don't see "megabase" as the lategame activity of choice.

There's nothing much to do at 3am but refresh this forum obsessively! :D

Oh damn this is a VERY hard one to choose between. Initially I wanted block limit increases because I need it desperately. BUT then i thought about it and being able to write in our own lore, our own quests and our own activities for players to experience just sounds SO much more fun and can allow the creative juices to flow.

I have this whole idea and backstory for Ravenhearst, and to be able to make that happen through choices and dialogue sounds completely amazing to me. I know Guppy will like it as well. I can imagine a whole medieval themed story to go along with this mod.

Either way this is the best poll ever. There IS no wrong answer here. Have a brownie Roland!

There's nothing much to do at 3am but refresh this forum obsessively! :D

Oh damn this is a VERY hard one to choose between. Initially I wanted block limit increases because I need it desperately. BUT then i thought about it and being able to write in our own lore, our own quests and our own activities for players to experience just sounds SO much more fun and can allow the creative juices to flow.

I have this whole idea and backstory for Ravenhearst, and to be able to make that happen through choices and dialogue sounds completely amazing to me. I know Guppy will like it as well. I can imagine a whole medieval themed story to go along with this mod.

Either way this is the best poll ever. There IS no wrong answer here. Have a brownie Roland!

This was exactly my struggle. In the end I chose the second. Having more blocks is neat, but doesn't really add much to the game. Being able to write custom quests/dialogue trees for my mods... Now there's a real winner. That adds quite a lot to the game.

As others have mentioned, not an easy one to pick this.

I went for block id increases and poi editors, since what the community will, over time, add through that will be awesome I suspect. That could easily be said for the second option to, so it was a coin toss for me on which way I voted.

I do know much about modding but aren't moddable quest objectives just a way to have an already existing functionality that can be modded, pinned onto a quest objective?

For example can't atm modders spawn a spider zombie that will hold a specific loot table after a specific event and this will just pin it on a quest in the UI? Or can't they already plant an item in an area that will spawn after a specific event? Where will moddable quest objectives help?

Also, quest dialog branches may sound great having played games like fallout etc, but will they really add anything to this game? Can anyone make an example or such an instance?

Both are great and can't wait but since I need to choose..

Moar blocks and a built in poi editor.

Although not slick like the up coming conversation tree, we can already give quest n such.

Having a non 3rd party poi editor (hopefully more extensive then the 3rd party poi editor) and more blocks seems to edge out the convo tree imo.

Quests/dialogues, because it's something we can't currently do, over block id's/prefab building, which is something we CAN currently do.

Yes, there are are some functions we can perform via quest, but "kill x to get y" becomes real redundant, real quick.

Conversation trees open up whole new levels of quests...

Roland should have added the new buff system to the poll, to get a clear winner. I guess vii will be buffs vs weapon mods.

Yes, there are are some functions we can perform via quest, but "kill x to get y" becomes real redundant, real quick.

Conversation trees open up whole new levels of quests...

Surely, quests have to be a LOT more creative than that. In general, I am not a fan of quests, expect perhaps if they were to be implemented in a specific manner, which I have posted about in the past - seamless, dymamic and random, so that they don't feel like quests at all.

Anyway, I still don't quite get what "moddable quest objectives" include. Can anyone make an example?

As for dialog trees, save for various quests/stories with different outcomes that modders will create, I don't see much use for them in this sandbox survival we have here. And these will essentially be one-time content.

Note that I am a huge fan of rpgs that involve dialog trees etc, fallout included, but I am having a hard time imagining how they will offer something substantial to this game.

Surely, quests have to be a LOT more creative than that. In general, I am not a fan of quests, expect perhaps if they were to be implemented in a specific manner, which I have posted about in the past - seamless, dymamic and random, so that they don't feel like quests at all.

Anyway, I still don't quite get what "moddable quest objectives" include. Can anyone make an example?

As for dialog trees, save for various quests/stories with different outcomes that modders will create, I don't see much use for them in this sandbox survival we have here. And these will essentially be one-time content.

Note that I am a huge fan of rpgs that involve dialog trees etc, fallout included, but I am having a hard time imagining how they will offer something substantial to this game.

Aren't you the story guy? Quests are how that's delivered.

More to the point though, right now we gather, build, and fight. That's it. Nothing more. Quests will give us a reason to travel, things to do, and most importantly, another avenue to "level up" that's not dependant on punching rocks.

Conversations will allow us to build a rich environment for securing the quests that don't revolve around random finds. Choices can finally have meaning.

More blocks is great. It really is. But really, if I take out the blocks I don't need for my mod, I'm flush anyway. And pilles prefab editor is great for making prefabs; I can do them a lot faster now, and will likely not move to the in-game editor (I've used it, and although I'm sure it's improved since then, I still prefer pilles).

From the bits and pieces we have heard I think a possible example could be this quest:

"If you are interested in an opportunity, meet me on day 14 at noon at location 400N, 300W"

If you get to that location on time, either of three things might happen:

1) 30% chance: you are ambushed by bandits who used the quest as bait

2) 5% chance: you find a dead NPC with a paper hinting at a hidden chest somewhere

3) 65% chance: An NPC tells you that he knows a building that is home to a zombie boss (or alternatively bandits) where a working chem station is in the cellar. He offers to give you the location and will pay you 200 coins if you bring back an antibiotics pill for his dying wife.

3a) you can accept or decline. If you decline, he might attack you (20%), ignore you (20%) or sweeten his offer with more coins or an extended magazine mod (60%). You even might be able to decide if you want more coins or the mod.

Gazz, any comment on whether this might be possible in A17? I imagine the timed appearance of the quest npc could be implemented as an appropriatley delayed spawn buff on a block in that exact location lasting a few minutes.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Even better example: Just play FTL and see what a good writer and some randomization can do with a better quest system in a randomly generated world

As for the poll... I intend to make good use of both systems but I can see the dialog stuff adding a great deal of depth the game that it is currently lacking so I voted for that.

The POI editor will undoubtedly lead to a HUGE variety of POIs being created and shared but there is already quit a variety so I see it as less impactful at this point.

To me, both are very closely related. If you are creating quests, I would think you would want to have a specific POI type in mind for that quest. If it is story driven and a long term quest, it makes sense to have several unique POI along the way to set it apart from the rest of the games POI.

From the bits and pieces we have heard I think a possible example could be this quest:

"If you are interested in an opportunity, meet me on day 14 at noon at location 400N, 300W"

If you get to that location on time, either of three things might happen:

1) 30% chance: you are ambushed by bandits who used the quest as bait

2) 5% chance: you find a dead NPC with a paper hinting at a hidden chest somewhere

3) 65% chance: An NPC tells you that he knows a building that is home to a zombie boss (or alternatively bandits) where a working chem station is in the cellar. He offers to give you the location and will pay you 200 coins if you bring back an antibiotics pill for his dying wife.

3a) you can accept or decline. If you decline, he might attack you (20%), ignore you (20%) or sweeten his offer with more coins or an extended magazine mod (60%). You even might be able to decide if you want more coins or the mod.

Gazz, any comment on whether this might be possible in A17? I imagine the timed appearance of the quest npc could be implemented as an appropriatley delayed spawn buff on a block in that exact location lasting a few minutes.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Even better example: Just play FTL and see what a good writer and some randomization can do with a better quest system in a randomly generated world

It's a good example actually, this is approximately the way I would want a quest to function - with random chances to different outcomes (FTL is one of my favorite indie games). Complex enough, so that it doesn't get repetitive. So, with the current modding tools (since I am clueless about modding in 7D), it isn't possible for example, to trigger events (with or without a random chance)?

It's a good example actually, this is approximately the way I would want a quest to function - with random chances to different outcomes (FTL is one of my favorite indie games). Complex enough, so that it doesn't get repetitive. So, with the current modding tools (since I am clueless about modding in 7D), it isn't possible for example, to trigger events (with or without a random chance)?

I know that the new buff system can trigger happenings from events but for details on what exactly might be possible Gazz or Kinyajuu or Prime would have to chime in.

Archived