Which is the more important main feature of the game VI

Roland

Which is the more important main feature of the game VI  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the more important main feature of the game VI

• POI Editor and huge block id limit increase
    • Moddable dialog trees and quest objectives

So, with the current modding tools (since I am clueless about modding in 7D), it isn't possible for example, to trigger events (with or without a random chance)?

Simply judging from what modders have NOT done or used strange detours to implement it anyone can make good guesses what is probably impossible (or very very hard to find out): For example create a zombie spawn event from a quest. If that were possible a lot of modders would have used it. Or make a quest with a choice or multiple paths without using multiple recipes as "providers" of that choice.

Simply judging from what modders have NOT done or used strange detours to implement it anyone can make good guesses what is probably impossible (or very very hard to find out): For example create a zombie spawn event from a quest. If that were possible a lot of modders would have used it. Or make a quest with a choice or multiple paths without using multiple recipes as "providers" of that choice.

Yeah, the stuff possible in XML for events is pretty basic and mostly geared toward harvesting resources and crops growing. With A17 there should be a LOT more toys to play with.

I hope someday they open up possible animation sequences to be activated in events so you could have a trader flip you the bird if you piss them off in a transaction. Might also get a zombie to do the moon walk while singing Thriller.

Might also get a zombie to do the moon walk while singing Thriller.

I have zombies in my med mod that I can rig to the thriller dance. =)

...tempted on doing it, as a gag... just one rando who may or may not appear doing the dance. I would lol.

to me neither option is top of my list for what is exciting coming in a17 for mods ;p

Of the two definately dialog trees since it means less work making workarounds for a lack of npc interactions.

Im kinda looking forward to the in game editor tho, because then I can finally work out what I need to build into my web based game world editor ;)

Once again, I find myself voting against an option I don't want rather than voting for an option I do want.

I don't want more dialog trees and quest objectives from NPCs, because I don't want NPC interaction to be a bigger part of the game than it already is. In fact I'd prefer it if there were no traders and the only interaction you have with any other living people was fighting off bandits.

So I voted for the other option - an option about which I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Yeh what triggers it is the question... Be kinda cool to make it command driven, but I have to get with people smarter than me first. =)

For a humorous mod I would suggest making it the opener on horde night. Before the first zombies attack, they do the war dance.

Or the PC can get some hallucigenous drug out of cacti and when he drinks that, zombies do the dance. May even appease some people who want realism in their game (if they experimented with drugs in real life and saw red elephants)

The POI editor will undoubtedly lead to a HUGE variety of POIs being created and shared but there is already quit a variety so I see it as less impactful at this point.

I guess I'm confused. Are modders not already using the in-game editor? Will the first option offer modders more than this already does?

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?47459-Unlocking-In-Game-Prefab-Editor-(Terrain-Tools)-dll-mod

It's cool that it'll be built-in without having to install the .dll. But it seems to me that, to the type of person that's amenable to modding, that extra step wouldn't be a big barrier. In other words, I figured most people that wanted to make things with the in-game prefab editor were already doing so.

Once again, I find myself voting against an option I don't want rather than voting for an option I do want.

I don't want more dialog trees and quest objectives from NPCs, because I don't want NPC interaction to be a bigger part of the game than it already is. In fact I'd prefer it if there were no traders and the only interaction you have with any other living people was fighting off bandits.

So I voted for the other option - an option about which I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

I feel the same as A Nice Cup of Tea. This is a survival game. We already have way too many traders in it. It doesn't really feel like an apocalypse anymore.

Well both are coming despite what we vote for so voting against one by choosing another that you don't care about has zero impact. Probably would have been better to just not vote at all so that the amount of interest generated by the poll would have appeared less than it does. I'm not sure why you feel that a survival game can only be so one-dimensional that there can only ever be hostile lifeforms alive. You truly feel that in such an apocalyptic world there wouldn't be any other human being who could have survived that might want some help or would interact with you in any other way other than kill kill kill? For sake of conversation, I'd like to hear your reasoning that not one single other human sentient could possibly survive as you did but all they want to do is be a bandit because if they did want to be something other than that we would not be playing a survival game.

I am not totally against having npcs. I just believe there should a lot less. In many of my games I could visit 3 traders on the same day (I play long days). I pretty much imagine an actual apocalypse would be every man for themselves. Anyone you meet you would be highly wary of.

I am not totally against having npcs. I just believe there should a lot less. In many of my games I could visit 3 traders on the same day (I play long days). I pretty much imagine an actual apocalypse would be every man for themselves. Anyone you meet you would be highly wary of.

Well maybe they'll eventually make it so that there is always a slight chance of getting attacked by a trader so that you feel that wariness. I agree that knowing 100% that a trader is going to always be just a trader and is never going to try and get the drop on you means there is no feeling of fear or hesitancy in talking to them.

BTW, It would be real nice I imagine in an actual apocalypse to be able to stretch out the daylight time to extraordinary lengths to get everything you want to get done in plenty of time.... ;)

Well maybe they'll eventually make it so that there is always a slight chance of getting attacked by a trader so that you feel that wariness. I agree that knowing 100% that a trader is going to always be just a trader and is never going to try and get the drop on you means there is no feeling of fear or hesitancy in talking to them.

That does sound cool. I can imagine creeping up to the walled settlement, not knowing if it's just a friendly trader, or hostile with sentries tracking my moves from the guard towers. That'd beat what I do now: kick in the door without a care in the world, and throw shiny things at Mr. Pottymouth until he tells me to go away.

BTW, It would be real nice I imagine in an actual apocalypse to be able to stretch out the daylight time to extraordinary lengths to get everything you want to get done in plenty of time.... ;)

That'd be swell with or without the apocalypse! Remember to set your clocks forward this weekend, folks! :D

I think the new POI editor will be great! A way to easily integrate POI's created into the game would also be even better, such as direct importing in the game client, so that you don't necessarily need access to all game files through a separate editor in order to do that.

Being able to simply designate an area, and "import" the POI would be a wonderful thing, and apologies if that's something which already would work. Even better :) And of course the opposite, being able to "clip" a part of the world into a POI file separately, so you could export/save it between worlds.

/V -

Another option could be to have several factions, with traders allied with one faction. Depending on your relationship with any given faction, you may get better prices or you may get the door slammed in your face. Or shot at from a distance, I suppose.

I guess I'm confused. Are modders not already using the in-game editor? Will the first option offer modders more than this already does?

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?47459-Unlocking-In-Game-Prefab-Editor-(Terrain-Tools)-dll-mod

It's cool that it'll be built-in without having to install the .dll. But it seems to me that, to the type of person that's amenable to modding, that extra step wouldn't be a big barrier. In other words, I figured most people that wanted to make things with the in-game prefab editor were already doing so.

I think you'll find a lot of ppl are using Pille's prefab editor over the one that requires the .dll hack. Since you already need to go the extra step anyhow. Might as well get and use the better one atm.

Yeh some people use the in game editor, I guess they like the flat world, but I can put a large build together much faster in pilles.

The ultimate method is to build in game on a dedi, then just export what you need using the badco api... Trim in pilles as needed, then publish. I think you do need the in game for creating the meshes though? Not sure, I don't bother with that.

Yeh some people use the in game editor, I guess they like the flat world, but I can put a large build together much faster in pilles.

The ultimate method is to build in game on a dedi, then just export what you need using the badco api... Trim in pilles as needed, then publish. I think you do need the in game for creating the meshes though? Not sure, I don't bother with that.

Yeah, this is the method I use.

I have changed very few things in the files so I'm basically playing vanilla version. I bought a pc for this game. Last I had a gaming pc swat 4 was a hit game lol (by the way would fall over dead if who ever bought the rights to that would make a swat 5 just sayin) So that was what idk 10 plus years ago. So I'm a little rusty on what to go in and change what to do. One day I will try a mod and when that day comes I will most likely reach out for some help. Until then I really don't have a preference I kinda like the quest part.

seems to me like the quest stuff will be largely ready to go as long as it makes it in game.

being able to do prefabbing and sleepers without 3 additional programs of mix and match your flavor (tho thank bejebus they exist ty),

AND sometimes needing a server to do so would be amazing.

I think you'll find a lot of ppl are using Pille's prefab editor over the one that requires the .dll hack. Since you already need to go the extra step anyhow. Might as well get and use the better one atm.

I can't speak to which editor is better. I assumed the one the developers use would be preferred, so that's what I've used (plus it works on Mac).

What do we actually know, officially, about the first choice? I looked through everything in the top post of the Dev Diary, short of re-watching all the videos, and there was nothing about the POI editor.

Roland: if the POI editor is an important main feature, shouldn't it be on the list? :boink:

Archived