Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

well, then I don't want to beat that record

- - - Updated - - -

So sleeping is bad, how about pets ? I saw in some mod they already achieve but any plan for future for it ?

Ah, yes... the one where you hit the dog with a whip to make it your friend, except sometimes he becomes your friend and sometimes he just dies. And then you go smack your cow with a bucket to get milk, but if you do it too much and the cow dies too. I love mods, and I love the modding community, but just because they managed to do something in a mod, doesn't mean they achieved an adequate implementation for including it in the base game. It's not really fair to compare what modders can do to what the game devs can do.

Or...

1. Find ANY house.

2. Take out any stairs and/or ladders.

3. Stay on the roof.

Safe, hoard night after hoard night after hoard ni....

Meh... this doesn't always work out too well, and you may not get a good angle to shoot at zombies. I have had a horde collapse a house on my before. A larger building, yes. But if you go for something relatively small and/or all wooden construction, then you may not survive the night. I build horde towers. 3x3 wide x6 or 7 tall with iron bars at the top so you can shoot down at the zombies, and a ramp leading up to it where you have to jump a gap to get on the tower. The stops most zombies from getting up there. I start it with cobblestone and work up to more solid materials, and add more towers as the game goes on. I usually surround it with barbed wire and/or wooden spikes too. I usually get bored later in the night, when you get the "trickle" near the end, and I get down off my perch to do melee.

It's a joke highlighting the unpopular HP bar in the game. But it is not a joke regarding the release of A17 experimental. When the HP bar is gone A17 experimental will be here. That's just the plain truth.

But the last run of the blue bar may decrease VERY slowly. :p

Meh... this doesn't always work out too well, and you may not get a good angle to shoot at zombies. I have had a horde collapse a house on my before. A larger building, yes. But if you go for something relatively small and/or all wooden construction, then you may not survive the night. I build horde towers. 3x3 wide x6 or 7 tall with iron bars at the top so you can shoot down at the zombies, and a ramp leading up to it where you have to jump a gap to get on the tower. The stops most zombies from getting up there. I start it with cobblestone and work up to more solid materials, and add more towers as the game goes on. I usually surround it with barbed wire and/or wooden spikes too. I usually get bored later in the night, when you get the "trickle" near the end, and I get down off my perch to do melee.

Ok, if it's a one story wooden house it may only survive one hoard night. But then there's always the one right next door ;).

I get your point, but the goal was absolute minimum effort...

Woop Woop!!! Boring alert!!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Rotating+Lights+and+Sirens&&view=detail&mid=C9678E97F5C9A91414CCC9678E97F5C9A91414CC&&FORM=VDRVRV

Coughs * VIDEO * Coughs

Sleeping...really???

Tonight I signed into my server..made it to my Bedroll..slept....IT WAS EPIC!!! Exhausted ..going to bed IRL

Cmon people... WTF

How about sleep as a DLC then..who would pay for that?....

At least get some late game challenges going, instead of more ways to avoid the zombies!! (The M.O.LE(Multiple Occupant Land Explorer), the gyrocopter, the Hog)

Late game has not even been addressed by TFP.....still waiting for temperature to work properly, armor to work properly, zombie AI to work properly( I will believe it when I see it), etc etc .

I would give up below ground level digging for larger hordes in a second. Put ore on the ground like some are and/or just allow above ground mining in sides of hillls and mountains and rocks. Game needs challenges!

IMO

<snipped for space>

zombie AI to work properly( I will believe it when I see it), etc etc .

<snipped for space>

As far as I know the AI system has been completely ripped out and replaced with something better, removing the dependence on the underlying grid system to do pathfinding. I'm quite confident that it'll cure most of the zombie AI problems and quirks... probably replacing them with brand new problems and quirks in the process :-)

Ok, if it's a one story wooden house it may only survive one hoard night. But then there's always the one right next door ;).

I get your point, but the goal was absolute minimum effort...

Yeah, it works as a minimum effort tactic. Stores made of concrete will usually survive a horde night just fine too if you can find one, and many of them have an easy way to access the roof. I went through a phase where I did that when I would play nomad style. Wasn't worth setting up a base if I was only going to be in a town for a day or two.

As far as I know the AI system has been completely ripped out and replaced with something better, removing the dependence on the underlying grid system to do pathfinding. I'm quite confident that it'll cure most of the zombie AI problems and quirks... probably replacing them with brand new problems and quirks in the process :-)

The path generation is a completely new two stage system and works very differently, but the old system is still in there too. We can switch between them for now. Path following and AI are not new, but have been greatly overhauled. I'm sure there will be new issues to deal with.

The path generation is a completely new two stage system and works very differently, but the old system is still in there too. We can switch between them for now. Path following and AI are not new, but have been greatly overhauled. I'm sure there will be new issues to deal with.

That really does surprise me. Without meaning to be offensive, even in a voxel game the idea of a pure A* variation in a three dimensional game is a bit... archaic... these days.

Are there any plans to switch to a navmesh? Perhaps when Unity adds navmesh support to the C# job system?

I could see a sleep system working IF implemented right (see project zomboid). I don't personally think this game needs it though. Yes it would add to "oh crap" moments of you start fatigue too far away from your base, but who would want to be forced to miss the blood moon because its nappy time and your toon is tired? Maybe adds a time management element? Still not 100% for it.

Thats whats when a cup of coffee would come in handy.

I'm looking forward to u17, really sick of current bug bugs, exploits etc.. But I'd rather wait for a worthwhile update soon.

What do you mean about a two stage system?

As it includes the old AI and a new AI, I'm guessing it will run on one of them until some event happens, or a timer ticks off then switch to the other until another event or timer occurs.

No. That's not it. The two stage system is completely new. Check out the post below.

"but the old system is still in there too."

I guess what Faatal means that they didn't delete old system until new system is fully ready. They are testing/compare between two system and when new one is mature enough they will let go the old one. But for time being during development both system are part. There is no sense keeping both in public release. It is just development process.

Archived