Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Maple forest is just forest... plains is just basically desert nobody is losing anything really other than these can be sub biomes now. Anyhow the new terrain shader can only handle so many textures so something had to give and this will help the game run better. Trust me the new art will make you quickly forget about the old stuff. One gorgeous forest is better than two ♥♥♥♥ty ones.

Madmole for me the Maple forest had the most beautiful forest and even temperature and I loved the rain. The Pine forest felt like just a snow biome with non snow times in between. The plains biome I agree was just a grassed up dessert so no loss for me.

Those mountains look fantastic its just sad the zombies will just mess them up with constant tunnels tunnelling around the bottom if you chose to make a mountain base with a view.

I look forward to everything, also the biomes are sub-biomes now, why can't ya read what he said lol. Changes to the AI were made but not polished and balancing will happen before release of A17. They already said they are getting close to beta but A17 is still alpha, you probably took the April Fools joke way too seriously. Your opinions of this game seem to also be completely biased towards disliking it for some reason, what reason might that be? It's superior to almost every game in this genre. All in all I can only rate your "rating" about a 1.6/2.3 out of 10. Honestly, they update the game and all you do is wanna ♥♥♥♥ on it, why don't you please go develop your own game to meet all of your requirements. I'll finish up mine and we can have fun seeing who did it better :tickled_pink:

Lol. So if I don't like some of the showcased changes, I should make my own game? I guess if I don't like the food in a particular restaurant, I should set up my own restaurant? That's a flawed argument, my friend, and you know it.

Yeah, I know about sub-biomes. They are tiny patches in another biome, like they exist already in A16. Do they equal the currently existing biomes? Not by a long shot.

The last video MM said A17 = beta. Now he says A17 is getting close to beta. Why the vagueness?

And 7 days superior to all other games in its genre. What other games in it genre?

I'm also hoping that not all of the POI's have been turned into dungeons. What happened? Was there a sudden fad for home improvement inspired by the "Saw" films just before the apocalypse?

If about 10% of buildings had been changed to dungeons that may have been okay, 20% would probably be a bit much, although that would mean 450-700 new buildings would now have to be added to keep the ratio. My first level character is going to have to crawl through a trap infested domicile that's supposed to be a challenge for a hardened veteran while looking for their first cooking pot?

I'm pretty sure someone will collect together a bunch of normal buildings to add alongside the existing ones and it may be for the first time ever that a modded version of 7dtd will be my standard setup just to keep it immersive.

I'm also hoping that not all of the POI's have been turned into dungeons. What happened? Was there a sudden fad for home improvement inspired by the "Saw" films just before the apocalypse?

If about 10% of buildings had been changed to dungeons that may have been okay, 20% would probably be a bit much, although that would mean 450-700 new buildings would now have to be added to keep the ratio. My first level character is going to have to crawl through a trap infested domicile that's supposed to be a challenge for a hardened veteran while looking for their first cooking pot?

I'm pretty sure someone will collect together a bunch of normal buildings to add alongside the existing ones and it may be for the first time ever that a modded version of 7dtd will be my standard setup just to keep it immersive.

If I hear him correct he said 70 new added, so the old will still be there. There are some of the old rubble buildings that has no use they could remove. Walking into a building shotgun blasting will wake every zombie nearby so he was asking to be rushed like that. Going in crouched and taking headshots as they sleep is the way to go with silenced weapons like a bow. It would be advisable to level up a bit on zombies outside the towns or do hit an run attacks first.

12. Perishton looks nice, I have to admit. Please tell me that not all buildings are dungeons. Please.

Why not? I mean, I'm pretty sure things like sheds won't be dungeons, but why wouldn't you want all other somewhat big POIs to be at least more interesting to loot than what we have now? Let's admit it, we're all pretty tired of looting the same generic house layout in every town.

If new quests will make us explore POIs in search of specific items, better make them as cool to explore as possible.

Yeah exactly. Some dungeon-style buildings might be nice once in a while, but it will erode a lot of immersion when all buildings look like that. And I think with 70 dungeons added, we are getting close to there.

Plus I'm wondering what RG worlds will look like with only 5 biomes? Quite monotonous I reckon. These changes just come out of thin air, you know?

Who has ever starved to death in this game? You have to mod it to avoid having stacks of clean water to keep you hydrated from all the canned goods you get from zombies and cupboards.

I nearly did back when I was playing 9.3. But that was because I was AFK. :)

I still did not die either. But all my bars were on the floor and could barely move.

I don't really like how these biomes are going away.

I would really like to see what TFP's do to reshape the remaining biomes.

You and I both, mate.

This talk about representing them as a 'sub-biome' is by far nothing like the original biomes.

Ps. Roland, you haven't mentioned the removal of the biomes in the first/second post?

Why not? I mean, I'm pretty sure things like sheds won't be dungeons, but why wouldn't you want all other somewhat big POIs to be at least more interesting to loot than what we have now? Let's admit it, we're all pretty tired of looting the same generic house layout in every town.

If new quests will make us explore POIs in search of specific items, better make them as cool to explore as possible.

I would agree with you if there was more to Navazgane than initially meets the eye (or the random "Navazgane" map) that the game plot ends up revealing.

Meaning "Killer of Monsters", was Navazgane part of a secret, last stand effort to combat the Apocalypse? They never had time to finish everything. Maybe you will pick up the torch for humanity and complete that which no one else could and do what no one else could: turn the tide against evil! :)

This is one video... and many people have been asking for a video. This is NOT a view of a complete A17 ready to play as was obvious from the video. I'm going to give you 1 out of 10 for attitude and general comprehension of the world around you.

Afternoon all.

First time poster here

Had this game for years now and i've loved every second of it

Alpha 17 is looking awesome and i wait in anticipation for all the improvements to terrain and POIs :02.47-tranquillity:

Speaking of the POIs, anyone who perhaps is a bit curious about the dungeons. I think MadMole & the Pimps mean dungeon in the old JRGP term: an area where you go room to room clearing enemies and getting loot. I believe at the "end" of the POI dungeons there is a box containing better loot then usual. As for the state they are in, since when do zombies use doors XD

Apologies if i'm stating the obvious but the discussion above made it seem that people thought Jigsaw was in charge of local housing

This is one video... and many people have been asking for a video. This is NOT a view of a complete A17 ready to play as was obvious from the video. I'm going to give you 1 out of 10 for attitude and general comprehension of the world around you.

Yeah it's not a complete A17, I know that. Did I say that anywhere?

Will I get a higher grade if I only see the positives, and disregard the negatives?

Just had a chance to check out the new video. I am really loving a lot of the new features! I'm sure it was quite obvious to anyone watching that there are still bugs in many aspects, but I can imagine where the end product is supposed to be and I like it.

I know that balancing was stated as needing done, but I must at least throw in my thoughts on it. The new sprinting is actually really short unless every character you play is supposed to be really unhealthy. That wasn't a very far run at all. What would probably work even better is say sprint very fast while stamina is above 50%, but as it hits 50% and lower, slow it down to a good paced jog while using less stamina.

Another possibility: I'm not sure if it could be done, but maybe double tap shift for full sprint (using any and all stamina from 100% down to 0% but make it drain quickly - though not as quite as quickly as it currently is) and the normal shift would be the quicker jog I mentioned above. Not quite as fast moving, but able to continuously move quickly over a longer distance.

One other: Do it like the old Far Cry 2 style (not sure if the others did it too. Didn't play them) where your character sucks at running at first, but the more you do it, the less stamina it uses until it reaches a maximum cap, allowing you to sprint much longer distances after many hours of gameplay.

The new ragdoll physics are definitely going in the right direction, but do need some work. I know you guys are working on it and I can read between the lines on what the goal is here and I'm real excited for that!

I have to agree with the others who mentioned that not every location should be a dungeon. I LOVE this dungeon style idea, truly, but sometimes ... houses just don't have people in them. Sometimes houses are clean and easy to just go in and out of and shouldn't have every door locked and/or boarded up. I can't imagine everyone just happened to be home when the zombie apocalypse happened. And why does every house have an entire family reunion's worth of zombies in them? Most households wouldn't have more than 1 to 4 people in there, and even so, what are the chances all of them are home? I actually miss having more zombies walking around outside of the towns. It seems a lot of the zombie spawns are eaten up by sleepers when you go into towns. I don't mind the idea of some sleepers here and there, but it seems almost every zombie in buildings is a sleeper and there are so many of them that the rest of the town is completely dead. Literally and figuratively. ;)

I still can not wrap my head around why a bullet in a low quality pistol does significantly less damage than the same bullet in a better quality pistol. Same with personal experience/perks. If a toddler grabs a gun and shoots a pig in the face, it doesn't do less damage because the toddler doesn't have weapon experience. It pierces the skin and bone just the same as the bullet shot from the same gun by the toddler's father who may be a Navy Seal. The only thing that would be affected here is accuracy, reload speed, and maybe how fast you're able to shoot it since someone inexperienced wouldn't know how to handle recoil as well and take longer to zero in on their target.

I made a -very- generalized chart showing how I believe things could work more realistically (Percentages would probably need changed a bit), and the game would need to implement gun jamming:

(This forum murdered my picture quality so badly that you couldn't read it. So here's a link: https://imgur.com/bZiLNPW)

I -really- hope you guys one day consider these types of things related to weapons. Please please and more please, because I'm pretty sure this is the only game I've ever played where I can shoot animals point-blank in the face with the first shotgun I find and they literally have enough energy to just run off like nothing happened. I'm absolutely certain most of the face/head wouldn't be there, with or without a perk, shooting the shotgun 500 times to magically do more damage, or using a great quality new gun from the store. haha

Other than that the game is solid behind the current bugs that will be fixed. I can't wait to see where it ends up over the next few months! Even years. I don't mind waiting. I'll be playing either way!

Yeah it's not a complete A17, I know that. Did I say that anywhere?

Will I get a higher grade if I only see the positives, and disregard the negatives?

Sorry, on second read of your post it wasn't nearly as negative as I first viewed it. I can only blame it on lack of caffeine and general irritation at the world. :p

Or maybe my attitude is a 1 out 10 this morning?

Sorry, on second read of your post it wasn't nearly as negative as I first viewed it. I can only blame it on lack of caffeine and general irritation at the world. :p

Or maybe my attitude is a 1 out 10 this morning?

Haha no worries man! Sometimes I sound like a grumpy old man... Well. Most of the time. Kinda makes me wonder how I will be in 30-40 years ^^

Ps. Roland, you haven't mentioned the removal of the biomes in the first/second post?

Well, it was kind of alluded to a while ago, but the second posts lists Plains Biome as a removed feature.

I'm a little sad because I always liked that biome for first starting out, and then would move to the maple forest later.

- - - Updated - - -

Who has ever starved to death in this game? You have to mod it to avoid having stacks of clean water to keep you hydrated from all the canned goods you get from zombies and cupboards.

I do it all the time. Mute the game while watching TV, spend hours doing some task without really watching the game (usually mining), then turn back and realise I'm dead. It's usually early game, because after you get the food/water/stamina buffs you hardly eat or drink anymore.

Well, it was kind of alluded to a while ago, but the second posts lists Plains Biome as a removed feature.

I'm a little sad because I always liked that biome for first starting out, and then would move to the maple forest later.

- - - Updated - - -

I do it all the time. Mute the game while watching TV, spend hours doing some task without really watching the game (usually mining), then turn back and realise I'm dead. It's usually early game, because after you get the food/water/stamina buffs you hardly eat or drink anymore.

Ah yeah now I see. Sorry for that! But it only lists the plains biome, whilst MM also stated that the maple forest biome will be removed.

You and I both, mate.

This talk about representing them as a 'sub-biome' is by far nothing like the original biomes.

When given the choice of getting a smoother running game and lose some biome(s) to make that happen, i will defo choose the smoother running game. Nothing wrong with "only" 5 biomes IMO.

Anyhow the new terrain shader can only handle so many textures so something had to give and this will help the game run better.

Cheers

Personally I dont see any issues with sub biomes. A plains isnt hugely diffrent than a desert and frankly they do lead to each other in the real world. Also, the maple forest/pine forest combo works too. I grow up in Arizona and most of that isnt horribly far off from a compacted prospective.

Archived