Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Hmm, that reminds me, there is no "real" hand-to-hand combat skills. Some good gloves and a couple of magazines duck taped around your forearms and you're good to go! If there was a skill...

A18?

be happy if they add a push animation with or without a gun.

The goal of TFP isn't to make the game more realistic, but it is to make the game more fun :) and I, and many players are all in favor of that!

Farming, IMO, was very tedious and boring, so anything that simplifies the process, is good to me (:

WRONG WRONG WRONG. This game is supposed to be a survival game, but with each alpha it becomes easier and more boring. And i blame comments like yours.

WRONG WRONG WRONG. This game is supposed to be a survival game, but with each alpha it becomes easier and more boring. And i blame comments like yours.

I disagree. It's so easy to mod you can tweak the difficulty however you like. Your strength, zombies' strength, resources, block strength, etc. And much more. One of 7D's strengths is that it is so easily (and heavily) moddable, you can make it as easy or difficult as you like.

I disagree. It's so easy to mod you can tweak the difficulty however you like. Your strength, zombies' strength, resources, block strength, etc. And much more. One of 7D's strengths is that it is so easily (and heavily) moddable, you can make it as easy or difficult as you like.

At this point we don't know to what extent you can mod farming. I agree with the other posters sentiment - the game is becoming a zombie fighting game with simple crafting and survival concepts bolted on to it.

-A

Shots fired!

Yes. Fun > realism. But I wouldn't want to call the game difficult by any means.. :)

Just wondering.. Why did they implement the 'empty-hands-punch-instead-off-E' change? If one uses the same argument, do we need empty hands for looting any container?

Farming would be way more useful when there is a food spoilage timer.

Then the only ways to secure a good supply of (good) food is to either keep perpetually looting/hunting for it, or farming it.

Currently food is becoming a non issue after a while, as the player will stockpile found food.

With food spoilage stockpiling is not possible. Its needs to be gathered/farmed and prepared regularly.

(only for canned food, wich should give less bonuses)

The player can then choose: do I stockpile "low grade" non perishable foods like water and canned food.

Or do I want a secure supply of high grade food (cooked foods and prepared drinks) wich give bonuses but will perish after a while.

Shots fired!

Yes. Fun > realism. But I wouldn't want to call the game difficult by any means.. :)

Just wondering.. Why did they implement the 'empty-hands-punch-instead-off-E' change? If one uses the same argument, do we need empty hands for looting any container?

I was wondering the same thing myself.

You have to leave a hot bar slot open to pick up a plant, which may then get filled because you picked it. So you have to move the item to your backpack to reopen the slot, in order to pick more plants.

If that's how this change is going to work, then it sounds painful.

Do you still press 'E' to pick up stones, or something else lying on the ground, like a dropped bow?

What's the benefit to forcing such a change on all the players who have become accustomed to the current implementation?

-A

I can't say I disagree with the changes to farming from a gameplay perspective, it certainly makes things more efficient. My concern is that an already simple system is being simplified even further, perhaps too far.

As has been mentioned before, the building and survival aspects of the game seem to be increasingly dwarfed into insignificance by the run-and-gun aspect.

Hopefully when water physics gets its long overdue overhaul irrigation will be brought back in. That was a great mechanic which added realism in a reasonably simple way. It also follows what is apparently the current idea of doing something once and then reaping the benefits over the course of time.

And it is a survival game.

Do you want realism instead? Go play Arma 3 or Farming Simulator.. this game is supposed to be fun, not realistic.

the one good thing about the nerf to farming is that you can protect a farm from players with a landclaim. If you have to punch it to harvest it will go 'ding' for anyone that isn't a friend. At least I'm assuming the landclaim mechanics are the same in 17.

Still, this alpha is focused around getting a lot of systems reworked and into place. With the buff system, I could see food spoilage being added easily, just takes time. Now they can work on that, but say push alpha out another 2 weeks. You want this, add another 2 weeks on top, you want that, add another 2 weeks. It can and will add up fast, so I'd be happy to forgo so many of these "wants" to have A17E released sooner then have stuff be added later.

As with seeds, I can see them being rare for fact of I'd rather find 10 then find 1000 and have 990 fail. That's just a lot of wasted time and frustrations of hoping. I can see that making more people mad and quitting then just making them rare. But, as was stated before, someone will mod it to be different, so be looking out for that.

And as with the idea of the game becoming easier, somethings have to become easier (with changing systems around), tested, and released before it can become harder by using it to the fullest. That then takes tweaking and refining. But as what was also stated before, you can heavily mod everything to become harder (which is TFP's plan since this game can be played in so many different ways). Make zombies have more health, dmg, etc. Make you have less health, dmg, etc. Make seeds more rare, put higher gates on perks, make requirements for weapons/armor beyond just perk level, make zombie run speed always faster than yours (makes you care to know where zombies are at all times), make weapons do less damage or break faster. There's plenty of ways to make the game harder, and with this new update, I have a feeling even more mods than usual will be released for the fact of how much more simple it will become to mod.

And I would be against the "E" interact for grass, I DO NOT want to have that always saying "E to interact" everywhere I ran. That would be so frustrating and more immersion breaking than anything else. Basically only way to make it not do that would almost to be looking at the sky while running. And yeah, punching makes sense for crops cause of the stamina usage, makes you hungry to do everything. Basically the short form of pick and replant.

My friends are excited for the update with what little I'm telling them about it (leaving certain things out as surprises for them) since they don't follow the forum. I'm excited for it. And if I can play my cards right, maybe once we do know a release date or the week after it's released, we'll all take a day off and just play it all day.

I can't say I disagree with the changes to farming from a gameplay perspective, it certainly makes things more efficient. My concern is that an already simple system is being simplified even further, perhaps too far.

As has been mentioned before, the building and survival aspects of the game seem to be increasingly dwarfed into insignificance by the run-and-gun aspect.

Hopefully when water physics gets its long overdue overhaul irrigation will be brought back in. That was a great mechanic which added realism in a reasonably simple way. It also follows what is apparently the current idea of doing something once and then reaping the benefits over the course of time.

yeah water physics to troll mole rats hell yeah.

I can think of one.

The punch uses stamina, In turn food and water.

While just using the 'E' button didn't.

Farming would be way more useful when there is a food spoilage timer.

Then the only ways to secure a good supply of (good) food is to either keep perpetually looting/hunting for it, or farming it.

Currently food is becoming a non issue after a while, as the player will stockpile found food.

With food spoilage stockpiling is not possible. Its needs to be gathered/farmed and prepared regularly.

(only for canned food, wich should give less bonuses)

The player can then choose: do I stockpile "low grade" non perishable foods like water and canned food.

Or do I want a secure supply of high grade food (cooked foods and prepared drinks) wich give bonuses but will perish after a while.

Absolutely this. We really need a food spoilage timer.

Similarly, snow needs to melt so if you take it to a warm biome it just goes away instead of allowing you to stockpile water.

Similarly, snow needs to melt so if you take it to a warm biome it just goes away instead of allowing you to stockpile water.

This kind of stuff feels more appropriate in some hyper realism mod. Also, games which DO natively have food spoilage (Starbound and The Forest come to mind) also have mechanics to allow you to store food without spoiling (fridges and drying meat, respectively). So if you're in such a good position that food isn't an issue without food spoilage, you'll most likely also be fine with food spoilage.

Additionally i like to have a decay of consumed food, which forces you to eat different meals. People tend to produce the most ressource-effective food only and then always eat the same. A decay for each kind of food could reduce effectivness of the food, eg. eating grilled pork the 15th time will only restore 50% of the base value, or consuming the same kind of food over and over will give other negative status effects to the char.

Or something similar to "Green Hell" where you need to eat protein, carbs and fat. So grilled pork gives you protein and fat, but almost no carbs. Canned vegetables give you carbs, but low protein and fat, and so on.

This kind of stuff feels more appropriate in some hyper realism mod. Also, games which DO natively have food spoilage (Starbound and The Forest come to mind) also have mechanics to allow you to store food without spoiling (fridges and drying meat, respectively). So if you're in such a good position that food isn't an issue without food spoilage, you'll most likely also be fine with food spoilage.

Until zeds knock your generator out and you lose everything in the fridge.

Archived