Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

IMO this is a step backwards. Not realistic at all. What they should of done was remove the punching grass and replace it with harvesting with the e button, just like any other plant. After all, who Punches grass?! And why are seeds rare? In real life they are everywhere. Maybe make it so seeds can fail to grow. That would make it more challenging and realistic.

• All harvestable plants are harvested by hitting with free hand instead of using with "e" 11/1/18
  • Harvested crop returns to first stage "baby plant" and regrows 11/1/18
  • Seeds very rare 11/1/18

I suppose a nuclear apocalypse would not help to make viable seeds easy to find.

IMO this is a step backwards. Not realistic at all. What they should of done was remove the punching grass and replace it with harvesting with the e button, just like any other plant. After all, who Punches grass?! And why are seeds rare? In real life they are everywhere. Maybe make it so seeds can fail to grow. That would make it more challenging and realistic.

• All harvestable plants are harvested by hitting with free hand instead of using with "e" 11/1/18
  • Harvested crop returns to first stage "baby plant" and regrows 11/1/18
  • Seeds very rare 11/1/18

You could just assume that the seed crafting is actually getting viable seedlings with the majority of seeds being non viable.

It is clearly an attempt at making food self sufficiency slightly harder.

I thought seeds were already rare (as loot), but abundant if you find a patch of farmland and harvest what's there and turn it into seed for transport. Can we not craft seeds anymore? Kind of assuming on my end for this: Unleveled farm skills will yield one, just as in 16.4 untilled dirt yielded one. So at base level you would harvest something and instead of collecting it you would just insta reseed it and not gain a resource? Or do you collect one and any extra you get due to having more perks causes the reseeding? (Or maybe the reseeding is just an automatic feature and doesn't effect the number of harvest?)

I don't know why I have so many questions for such a small change in the grand scheme of things. lol.

It's cheaper to have a console than PC. Not only that, but you know the console will last 6+ years (basing on playstation typically having a new generation every 6 years) and that all games will work on the said console. To have a PC like that, would cost almost quadruple, if not more, to be able to play every game that comes out on PC smoothly without having to turn down graphics to low in that same time frame. And the fact many use it for streaming services. So a console is more efficient/cost effective for a typical family, hence larger market. Whereas to get a great computer takes a computer gamer/engineer/artist/etc that requires a better computer.

Now when I think of 7DtD and how intensive it is only a computer due to voxel based, it doesn't surprise me that some updates haven't been made for console cause I could see it overloading it. Once the new optimizations come out, I bet it'll be much more viable and efficient to start updating the console version again.

Keep in mind tho, a console cannot handle 7dtd at all. It literally cannot handle the entire game. It is a simplified version of the game made to fit into the hardware of the console. It's not graphica that cause the problem, it's CPU power.

After giving it some thought, I think the following about the twitch video:

1- The removal of E to harvest is a step in the right direction (reduces clutter and improves performance).

1.2- The book description for every item should always be the first thing you see when selecting an item, so it should be a priority OVER the "wifi" sign . It should always reset to the book when changing item selection.

2- Character should do a "harvest animation" instead of punching the crops when close to them ( I say, remove E, yes, but do a meaningful animation) . Punching looks cheap and goofy, like that game... minecraft?.

3- Once you set up your farm, that's it. I feel like even though seeds are scarcer as joel says, there should be crop failure and maybe some blocks to prevent that failure when placed near/over said crops.

4- Crops stay planted after harvested? um... I understand the gameplay reason behind this ( makes the perk meaningful and rewarding in all ways and reduces farming time in order to focus on other things), and yet.... if feels overpowered. Again, crop failure Or a crop-eating vulture/zombie would be perfect. It would encourage players to farm in protected locations.

Just my 3 dukes.

1- The removal of E to harvest is a step in the right direction (reduces clutter and improves performance).

1.2- The book description for every item should always be the first thing you see when selecting an item, so it should be a priority OVER the "wifi" sign . It should always reset to the book when changing item selection.

2- Character should do a "harvest animation" instead of punching the crops when close to them ( I say, remove E, yes, but do a meaningful animation) . Punching looks cheap and goofy, like that game... minecraft?.

3- Once you set up your farm, that's it. I feel like even though seeds are scarcer as joel says, there should be crop failure and maybe some blocks to prevent that failure when placed near/over said crops.

4- Crops stay planted after harvested? um... I understand the gameplay reason behind this ( makes the perk meaningful and rewarding in all ways and reduces farming time in order to focus on other things), and yet.... if feels overpowered. Again, crop failure Or a crop-eating vulture/zombie would be perfect. It would encourage players to farm in protected locations.

Just my 3 dukes.

It's a game in alpha, nuff said...

Just my 3 dukes.

that's 4 dukes (5 if you count 1.2)

You could just assume that the seed crafting is actually getting viable seedlings with the majority of seeds being non viable.

It is clearly an attempt at making food self sufficiency slightly harder.

I'm pretty certain that this is a bugfix for harvesting crops lagging out servers on occasion. Please don't bully TFP into undoing this. I'm 99.9999% certain they know how to make their game the way that it was meant to be made.

My thoughts on the video (in chronological order)

1) Bandages.

2) Don't eat from your farm until you have planted enough.

3) Bikes are cool.

4) Bandages!

I kept trying to figure out what is the most important early game perks. Still not sure unless you can make bandages. :)

I'm pretty certain that this is a bugfix for harvesting crops lagging out servers on occasion. Please don't bully TFP into undoing this. I'm 99.9999% certain they know how to make their game the way that it was meant to be made.

So you somehow took my post to be bullying, interesting...

I have no problem whatsoever with the changes to crops.

Lol. Depends on what you bought from the store :p. And was it online store. hehe

Hehe true, well.. The game runs decently enough on my machine (30-40 fps, not everything maxed out). So I probably have many problems running A17. I have some friend who I'm playing with who might have issues, though..

Finally. My fantasy of smacking the bejeezus out of corn stalks has finally been introduced into the game!

Hmm, that reminds me, there is no "real" hand-to-hand combat skills. Some good gloves and a couple of magazines duck taped around your forearms and you're good to go! If there was a skill...

A18?

Hmm, that reminds me, there is no "real" hand-to-hand combat skills. Some good gloves and a couple of magazines duck taped around your forearms and you're good to go! If there was a skill...

A18?

Yes, why can't I do this to zombies in game? We need face physics.

giphy.gif

The goal of TFP isn't to make the game more realistic, but it is to make the game more fun :) and I, and many players are all in favor of that!

Farming, IMO, was very tedious and boring, so anything that simplifies the process, is good to me (:

faming

The goal of TFP isn't to make the game more realistic, but it is to make the game more fun :) and I, and many players are all in favor of that!

Farming, IMO, was very tedious and boring, so anything that simplifies the process, is good to me (:

farming is a lot better in 16.4 than in 15.2 if you remember, also consider this be glad you're not playing starvation mod.

if you think farming is tedious in vanilla. watch kage848 and bloodstalker 101 videos then talk to me.

that's 4 dukes (5 if you count 1.2)

ha ha i like this reply!

ok as of now i am on a 16 day fishing holiday so silly games take their rightful back seat.

ill be back in a long while and see where stuff is at

i will also turn a year older in that time and expect a big one will make my day.

look up northland nz fishing november and weep

oooooooh yeah baby. game on!

catch yas later :-)

With food:

Eventually, obtaining food should become less and less of a problem as greater threats to your survival become more prevalent.

I think A17 is near perfect on food survival: Tough in early game when other threats are weak and easier when other threats start becoming strong.

Archived