Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

That makes sense. Will they therefore also implement a similar 'empty-hands' system for looting? Else it wouldn't make sense, IMO.

Idk, I was just speculating and pointing out one possible reason as to why they might have changed it from using the 'E' key.

The game is already capable of acknowledging what 'block' you're looking at in 'dm' mode. Maybe they can add a deal where it changes animation sequence like:

Have a 'Grab' animation fire, when looking and performing an action on certain plants and picking up rocks with empty hands.

Have a 'Punch' animation fire, when looking and performing an action on trees, boulders and entities with empty hands.

Not that I'm a big fan of the game but I think ARK did it well with switching the empty hand animations based on what you were getting stuff from.

As for knowing if they would or not? I have no clue. :noidea:

i didnt know so much ppl farmed crops..food never seem to be an issue, but now you say spoilage might be a thing.I may have to reconsider.

I have never farmed, never needed to, for the pure fact how easy it is to get food. If food spoilage was a thing, or if food was harder to get, then I would start farming. Just right now, it can be very pointless depending on how you play. I'm under the impression that people that farmed, did it just because it was something extra to do, be able to make meat stew easier, etc.

I'll reserve judgement until I get to play it.

THIS. THISTHISTHIS. Seriously. We have no idea what else may have changed that may make farming/harvesting more difficult. Perhaps plants will take longer to grow. Perhaps zeds will actively seek to destroy the plants. Perhaps different things will grow in different biomes. Nothing's been mentioned outside of some simplified harvesting mechanic and the fact that you're not constantly having to re-plant.

I actually LIKE the replanting factor. I think you SHOULD have to craft seeds and replant...and I like mods such as WotW and Undead Legacy that require you craft a tool for harvesting seeds (like the mortar and pestle), because it adds a level of challenge.

So I'm not crazy about the changes...but if they make the game run more smoothly, create fewer bugs and glitches, and overall improve the experience of the game...well, I'll suspend both my need for "realism" and my disbelief at self-regrowing plants. After all, I'm playing a game where the dead can rise and try to eat your brains, the world is littered with vehicles I can neither drive nor repair, the only dogs that exist are Dobermans (and they're all zombies) but wolves, deer, and swine are apparently immune to the plague, and the only cops around are overweight donut jockeys with acid reflux from hell.

But I wax verbose (as usual). Ultimately...we don't know how it's all going to pan out...and wiggin' out about it doesn't do a THING.

Gnomaana, I get that you and others equate difficulty AS fun, and I can totally respect that. And I get your concerns over simplification. Thank you, though, for being reasonable enough to reserve judgment until you've actually experienced the game.

I like you. :)

@Tin -

Didn't see your post before. That makes sense, and if as Kosmic Kerman points out, a tool can be used (not just an empty hand) then I really have no problems with the harvest key change.

I could even see some type of bonus being applied with the right harvesting tool...

-A

I love the idea of using a scythe/sickle to harvest, and being able to glean more crops than simply punching. I'd advocate for the hoe, since it's already in-game, but it has historically "dug up" plants for seeds when used on crops themselves, so we'd probably want a separate tool for harvesting.

This kind of stuff feels more appropriate in some hyper realism mod. Also, games which DO natively have food spoilage (Starbound and The Forest come to mind) also have mechanics to allow you to store food without spoiling (fridges and drying meat, respectively). So if you're in such a good position that food isn't an issue without food spoilage, you'll most likely also be fine with food spoilage.

It would add a reason to break coolers and take them when you find them if they slowed the spoilage

- - - Updated - - -

Until zeds knock your generator out and you lose everything in the fridge.

That sounds amazing

I actually LIKE the replanting factor. I think you SHOULD have to craft seeds and replant...and I like mods such as WotW and Undead Legacy that require you craft a tool for harvesting seeds (like the mortar and pestle), because it adds a level of challenge.

I also like the replanting factor. My major argument against the new changes being put in place has to do with time - it takes time to replant; time you can't do anything else like build, scavenge, or fight zombies. Time is a key resource to surviving.

We'll see how it pans out when A17 drops.

-A

Since punching will be the new farming tech, it seems everyone is worried about a full backpack, which i too usually am sitting with one maybe two empty spots when im doing things. It will likely be very irritating to have to drop something to loot your veg. Maybe we should have a toolbelt spot for just unarmed?

On thing I disagree about spoilage (other than it being a pain in the butt) is this. Someone mentioned spoilage on beverages. So instead of making golden rod tea, I make the bottled water and store the goldenrod plants and make it as I need to to avoid "spoilage". Tea leaves last for fricken ever and golden rod plants are everywhere so even if the harvested plants "spoiled" you would just not harvest them. If we had spoilage, you would then have to introduce "crop spoilage" for the same reason. I could just leave my plants in the ground and grab as needed. Then we would be minecraft + farmville FFS.

Corn lasts a year or more in a corn crib, as do potatoes so spoilage seems silly on those types of things. What does that leave? Meat, well meat properly cured lasts more than a year and can be reconstituted. So what is going to spoil? meat stew, isn't it "canned"? My hubby was eating stuffed canned before he was born growing up (by at least 5 years) Players like me will just avoid making items that spoiled from components that don't until we need some so introducing the mechanic seems a bit silly.

I don't think people that advocate spoilage have really thought about the "realism" they are advocating. Crops in game take a week to mature, that isn't real. Neither is spoilage on the timescale you are talking. Unless you have a game going 400 days and you have food sitting around from day one, it isn't going to be realistic that it spoils. (other than uncured meat). Troops are eating MRE's from WW2 and there isn't spoilage concerns.

I always wondered why the canned food we find isn't contaminated or spoiled or irradiated. If food is too easy for you, how about a novel idea... Don't harvest it.

Since punching will be the new farming tech, it seems everyone is worried about a full backpack, which i too usually am sitting with one maybe two empty spots when im doing things. It will likely be very irritating to have to drop something to loot your veg. Maybe we should have a toolbelt spot for just unarmed?

How is this different than before? You still need empty slots in order to harvest in a16. Yes maybe you kinda have one slot less on toolbelt because you need to use hands but I dont see it being any different unless your only harvesting one type of crop. And have they specified if it has to be hit by hands? What happens if you hit it with a hoe or shovel? Would that just destroy it and only give you a seed even though its fully grown?

snip

I don't think people that advocate spoilage have really thought about the "realism" they are advocating. Crops in game take a week to mature, that isn't real. Neither is spoilage on the timescale you are talking. Unless you have a game going 400 days and you have food sitting around from day one, it isn't going to be realistic that it spoils. (other than uncured meat). Troops are eating MRE's from WW2 and there isn't spoilage concerns.

snip

Who talking spoilage has mentioned the word realism?

This kind of stuff feels more appropriate in some hyper realism mod. Also, games which DO natively have food spoilage (Starbound and The Forest come to mind) also have mechanics to allow you to store food without spoiling (fridges and drying meat, respectively). So if you're in such a good position that food isn't an issue without food spoilage, you'll most likely also be fine with food spoilage.

Good point.

All that would be accomplished is adding complexity. Like pushing the right mouse button to draw back your melee weapon and the left mouse for the attack.

Hmm, maybe that would be fun in some trivial way. :)

I also like the replanting factor. My major argument against the new changes being put in place has to do with time - it takes time to replant; time you can't do anything else like build, scavenge, or fight zombies. Time is a key resource to surviving.

So instead of spending the time on re-planting you spend the time harvesting - instead of running a keyboard macro that scoops up 10 plants per second and runs 10 full stability checks on the chunk.

I don't think we're tossing darts at a board there. =P

So instead of spending the time on re-planting you spend the time harvesting - instead of running a keyboard macro that scoops up 10 plants per second and runs 10 full stability checks on the chunk.

I don't think we're tossing darts at a board there. =P

It takes me like 30 minutes to an hour in game (30-60 seconds) to harvest all my crops - usually 6-7 rows of 12 plants.

It takes half a day to replant everything.

From the video it didn't appear Joel to take any longer than it does now to harvest; are you saying the plan is to make it so the harvest action now takes significantly longer?

-A

Edit: I know that you don't just toss darts at a board. But since I don't get to watch the game, let alone throw anything, I'm curious about the details.

How is this different than before? You still need empty slots in order to harvest in a16. Yes maybe you kinda have one slot less on toolbelt because you need to use hands but I dont see it being any different unless your only harvesting one type of crop. And have they specified if it has to be hit by hands? What happens if you hit it with a hoe or shovel? Would that just destroy it and only give you a seed even though its fully grown?

Im saying add a spot that doesnt fill, not take one away for it.

Why not have boars seek out and destroy player crops. Just like in Texas!

Thats an interesting idea

Archived