Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

All this food spoilage talk like its a big deal? Really? Once u get electricity and a frig it will be all over anyway. Its a temporary issue at most, just like this air quality BS people want underground.

The idea is to have those things so you can't immediately build an underground base, you would have to level and gain some perks that would allow you to do that first.

You know? Playing the game as it was intended instead of going for the most immediately safe option and bypassing much of the actual game content?

- - - Updated - - -

Why not have boars seek out and destroy player crops. Just like in Texas!

This is a great idea and I think most animals should try to attack different types of crops... you used fence crops off to stop zombies from breaking them... now there is no reason to try and protect them at all aside from players stealing your stuff

The idea is to have those things so you can't immediately build an underground base, you would have to level and gain some perks that would allow you to do that first.

You know? Playing the game as it was intended instead of going for the most immediately safe option and bypassing much of the actual game content?

Gateing going deep underground behind perks and things like ducts, could be kinda cool. More immersive start and more progression, but still leaving you the possibility...

This is a great idea and I think most animals should try to attack different types of crops... you used fence crops off to stop zombies from breaking them... now there is no reason to try and protect them at all aside from players stealing your stuff

Well... That would just mean an easy source of meat, would it not. Unless only zombie animals like crops...

Why not have boars seek out and destroy player crops. Just like in Texas!

This is the sort of balance that's needed, an erosion of the resource producing mechanics.

Even with the new system farming is essentially additive, if you're not using any of the crop for food it's quite easy to get a reasonably large farm up and running with little danger of failure. At that point there is nothing to endanger the system, it will keep producing crops ad infinitum.

Having boars and rabbits destroy plants at the edge of your field unless it's fenced off would erode the ability of the farm to produce a constant supply of food.

This is the sort of balance that's needed, an erosion of the resource producing mechanics.

Even with the new system farming is essentially additive, if you're not using any of the crop for food it's quite easy to get a reasonably large farm up and running with little danger of failure. At that point there is nothing to endanger the system, it will keep producing crops ad infinitum.

Having boars and rabbits destroy plants at the edge of your field unless it's fenced off would erode the ability of the farm to produce a constant supply of food.

From what I understand, you won't be able to get a large farm up because seeds are not craftable from the crop harvest.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, it takes "like 5" thingies to make a seed. However, if there was ever a build that didn't need erosion or crop decay, it would be this one.

Well... That would just mean an easy source of meat, would it not. Unless only zombie animals like crops...

I like the idea. Animals eat crops all the time. This may put much more emphasis on fences and gates, whether its added vanilla or it becomes a mod. The zombies could care less about your garden, but the wildlife are as hungry as you are. In terms of meat, you could just balance it out so killing the invading wild boar is bittersweet at best.

With alot of the zombie lore, you always have your passive traps or chain link perimiter fence up for the zeds. Its expected that the zeds do block damage in the game, but I like how they just kinda pile up against the fences in the shows and just kinda lean and linger. I think this would be alot more intimidating in-game if they just piled up outside of your base and lingered without block damage. Just knowing theyre piling up can be just as scary as if small groups are doing mindless block damage constantly.

This would encourage the player to lure the wandering horde away from the base, rather than try and cut through them all and risk triggering them to bring the fence down. If you choose to leave them, when it gets dark, they go feral and tear the fence down, possibly attacking your base if they detect you.

IDK I like the crop blight deal, but make the zeds spread it.

Maybe have it when zombie entities collide with the crops hit box, it changes them to a tainted crop? You know, from all bits-n-pieces-n-gooey stuff falling off of them onto the crop.

Would anyone want to risk harvesting the crop then?

Yes but honestly I'd rather them put the effort into the zombies being the threat and not make this a farm simulator.

There are those of us who would prefer they spend their time making this different from both survival games and zombie shooters. There are plenty of zombie shooters on the market if you don't want the survival aspects at all.

Think what is best for the game, not what is best for you. You have your personal play style just like everyone else. If you don't want to use the farming mechanic then fine but there are plenty of people who like the idea of defending their farm from the zombie hordes.

So instead of spending the time on re-planting you spend the time harvesting - instead of running a keyboard macro that scoops up 10 plants per second and runs 10 full stability checks on the chunk.

I don't think we're tossing darts at a board there. =P

Not that I am complaining, but not everyone has software like that. I do my planting and harvesting one plant at a time. When I first read the idea of boars attacking my 'garden' I was not happy, but then I am weird and 'fence in' my crops already anyway. As long as the boars can't break through the wooden block walls at the beginning (say, first 21 days) of the game, I would actually be okay with this. That way the meat comes to me! Would be nice imo as I can never seem to find game in the wild.. was really hoping we could 'tame' animals so we have a source of meat we control? Just a thought..

There are those of us who would prefer they spend their time making this different from both survival games and zombie shooters. There are plenty of zombie shooters on the market if you don't want the survival aspects at all.

Think what is best for the game, not what is best for you. You have your personal play style just like everyone else. If you don't want to use the farming mechanic then fine but there are plenty of people who like the idea of defending their farm from the zombie hordes.

I didn't say I don't want survival aspects but they (TFP) have to choose where to put there efforts and it makes sense that that goes into the zombies. Its easier to mod food and farming than zombie mechanics.

Also just because YOU want better farming doesn't mean that thats best for the game.

Also there is no need to defend your farm from zeds since they do bother with plants.

Who talking spoilage has mentioned the word realism?

Yeah, I could care less about realism, the important thing is gameplay here.

Yes, lategame something like a fridge could negate spoilage, but that's the point. It's something to work towards and before you get to that point you have to worry about having a food source.

Other than spoilage, I'd agree that some type of threat to your food supply would be ideal. The important thing would be to make it "fun" and part of the gameplay and not just an annoying chore you have to keep up with. Perhaps crops have a random chance of spawning zombie gophers that pop up from the soil block and will slowly destroy crops if left unattended? Players have to check on crops and have to fight off gopher attacks. Could be mitigated with turrets later on.

Seems like a "chore" I suppose, but then again killing stuff is part of the "fun" of the game so this seems like a possible solution that keeps with the theme.

Yes but honestly I'd rather them put the effort into the zombies being the threat and not make this a farm simulator.

I'd rather they spent the time on making food a real survival concern than work on zombies some more.

I don't remember ever dying to hunger; but I have died to zombies. Both should be a large concern to the player and as it stands, 'starvation' really needs a buff in the challenge department.

-A

I'd rather they spent the time on making food a real survival concern than work on zombies some more.

I don't remember ever dying to hunger; but I have died to zombies. Both should be a large concern to the player and as it stands, 'starvation' really needs a buff in the challenge department.

-A

Then don't eat anything.

Seriously though, to make this a farm simulator you'd have to remove animals and edible plants that grow in the wild (which screws the hunting/foraging aspect of this game). Then add a bunch of mechanics to make a farming simulator.

Sorry but this is a zombie game first (according to MM) and its not going to revolve around farming.

I have a feeling you are going to have to wait for mods that require you to be a farmer to survive.

Then don't eat anything.

I have a feeling you are going to wait for mods that require you to be a farmer to survive.

Or you could just let zombies hit you twice for each time you hit them.

I may have to wait for a mod, or make the mod myself. If so, it'd be unfortunate - because I'm not the only one who feels this way about the food situation - but that's certainly an option.

-A

Edit:

I've never proposed making this a farming simulator. What you are arguing against, and what I am arguing for are oceans apart.

Then don't eat anything.

Seriously though, to make this a farm simulator you'd have to remove animal sand edible plants that grow in the wild. Then add a bunch of mechanics to make a farming simulator.

sorry but this is a zombie game first and its not going to revolve around farming.

I have a feeling you are going to wait for mods that require you to be a farmer to survive.

Don`t be so harsh. He found a way to survive in its own way. Game gives many oportunities. We all will have to get used with the new way, so it is useless to talk about how it is now. Right ?

I'd like to see bunnies stealing crops or a bandage or medkit from the locker when the player is away from base, alot of wounded critters out there on the desert sand.

Plant enough carrots around your property and be prepared to get mugged.

Bunnies, boars, and bandits - and all three come packing.

-A

I like the idea. Animals eat crops all the time. This may put much more emphasis on fences and gates, whether its added vanilla or it becomes a mod. The zombies could care less about your garden, but the wildlife are as hungry as you are. In terms of meat, you could just balance it out so killing the invading wild boar is bittersweet at best.

With alot of the zombie lore, you always have your passive traps or chain link perimiter fence up for the zeds. Its expected that the zeds do block damage in the game, but I like how they just kinda pile up against the fences in the shows and just kinda lean and linger. I think this would be alot more intimidating in-game if they just piled up outside of your base and lingered without block damage. Just knowing theyre piling up can be just as scary as if small groups are doing mindless block damage constantly.

This would encourage the player to lure the wandering horde away from the base, rather than try and cut through them all and risk triggering them to bring the fence down. If you choose to leave them, when it gets dark, they go feral and tear the fence down, possibly attacking your base if they detect you.

Interesting concept, where were all these ideas over the course of the year 😂 instead of all the butthurt whining posts? This stuff is actually interesting to read... and constructive

Archived