Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

So if I got this right; you need 1 skill-point to unlock the forge, and an additional 4 skill-points to unlock the working bench. You get 6 skill-points from completing the tutorial quests, right?

So, if I got this right, you can unlock both the forge and the working bench after completing the tutorial?

No-one afraid this will drastically shorten the life-span of a game?

Wow, didnt realize it was like that. Weapon Mods are the new shiny and end all be all. So an extended ammo clip will take 3 weeks in game and a quest with a miniboss - where as a workbench and forge will take a 5 minute tutorial.

How to make a forge and a Workbench in A17:

Step 1: Kill 5 or 6 deer. Or hope to find leather furniture (is the drop rate the same as A16?)

- Does the forge even have the same simple ingredients, or is it something more "realistic"? (Forges made from rocks can explode!)

Step 2: Make the forge.

Step 3: Enjoy trying to find everything you need for a Workbench as Gazz read the last 20 posts I'm sure. :)

Yeah I fully agree with you there. Even though I'm personally not such a big fan of modding, I will definitely try to adjust those values if they are added as such. I'm just thinking about the majority of the people who do not want/know how/are not interested in modding, how such a change will affect them. I'm worried most of them will burn through A17 rather quickly.

Whatever happens, A17e is called experimental because it is an experiment and we are the guinea pigs. If we burn too quickly through the content, they will adjust the rules (while the forum riots). If we get too powerful too fast they will adjust the rules (while the forum riots).

While I have doubts that getting an attribute and perk to max as a level 10 character can really be balanced, another part of me thinks it might work out.

For example it might work if the advantages you get from abilities and perks are only a third or half of the real maximum and the other half is provided by your equipment. And if whatever ability you try to max out (for example defense, stealth, a specific weapon...) always needs 4 perks from at least 2 attribute trees to really be "complete" in that ability.

Only playing A17 will tell.

So if I got this right; you need 1 skill-point to unlock the forge, and an additional 4 skill-points to unlock the working bench. You get 6 skill-points from completing the tutorial quests, right?

So, if I got this right, you can unlock both the forge and the working bench after completing the tutorial?

Does it? on my co-op server in A16 we have forge and workbench in a few in-game days. It made playing a little more comfortable, but the "power" gates were always the minibike, granite and steel. Definitely not the forge and the workbench.

Though minibike or granite seem not far away either in this perk tree, so there is a big question mark right there.

do we still level up from mining and other activites other than killing zombies? since grinding was replaced with perks

Faatal or Roland,

Any changes to xp gaining in A17? Will people still be able to mine af and uplevel a lot? Will the current xp gaining framework be maintained in A17? Thanks in advance!

I clearly remember Roland saying that nothing changed in this regard from A16. Can't find the actual post though. EDIT: But here is a new post from him mentioning XP from farming: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?91876-New-perk-system&p=860108&viewfull=1#post860108

Strange, the last 2 days this question came up a lot. Maybe a FAQ with questions like these would short cut many questions here.

THIS!!! MM, you HAVE to make this happen!

Yesterday was leg day. I had meetings screw me out of leg day. Then at 11pm I had that tough choice, I can make it right, or skip leg day. I made it right. Now today its not leg day, thank god I only got 5 hours sleep. Sometimes when your crunching your mind is just geared to think about work.

Hi all,

I remember reading in this here thread that once purchased, perks will be set in stone and you'd have to make a new character and start over if you want to change something.

My question is: what if you mis-click for example? I know the obvious answer - "Don't mis-click!", but it happens, right?

Is a quest allowing you to regain(or unlearn) 1 perk point - which you can then spend on something else - a possibility? It's not re-speccing, but it would allow for some flexibility. Only if the system framework allows it, of course.

No we're not going to allow that. One perk or attribute you didn't want isn't going to be a big deal.

Whatever happens, A17e is called experimental because it is an experiment and we are the guinea pigs. If we burn too quickly through the content, they will adjust the rules (while the forum riots). If we get too powerful too fast they will adjust the rules (while the forum riots).

While I have doubts that getting an attribute and perk to max as a level 10 character can really be balanced, another part of me thinks it might work out.

For example it might work if the advantages you get from abilities and perks are only a third or half of the real maximum and the other half is provided by your equipment. And if whatever ability you try to max out (for example defense, stealth, a specific weapon...) always needs 4 perks from at least 2 attribute trees to really be "complete" in that ability.

Only playing A17 will tell.

Does it? on my co-op server in A16 we have forge and workbench in a few in-game days. It made playing a little more comfortable, but the "power" gates were always the minibike, granite and steel. Definitely not the forge and the workbench.

Though minibike or granite seem not far away either in this perk tree, so there is a big question mark right there.

Hehe yeah you are right.. We are a rioting bunch :p I'm just afraid (well.. fear is a big word) that by being able to create a forge and workbench after having only spent 6 points the longevity of a game gets affected in a rather negative way.

Of course, that's up to change like you said.

Edit: I can't recall granite being in the game? Might be that I have to take another look.. The geologist in me is intrigued!

Hehe yeah you are right.. We are a rioting bunch :p I'm just afraid (well.. fear is a big word) that by being able to create a forge and workbench after having only spent 6 points the longevity of a game gets affected in a rather negative way.

Of course, that's up to change like you said.

Edit: I can't recall granite being in the game? Might be that I have to take another look.. The geologist in me is intrigued!

I assume meganoth meant concrete ;) but if you find granite let us know :)

Faatal or Roland,

Any changes to xp gaining in A17? Will people still be able to mine af and uplevel a lot? Will the current xp gaining framework be maintained in A17? Thanks in advance!

You will still get xp from different activities. The amounts are still being balanced. A few days ago you could get xp from punching the air. That one was fixed.

Faatal, I have a suggestion. The hunting aspect of the game is fairly simple at the moment. I have few ideas to make it more interesting.

Arrows now stick to entities.

*Could there be a buff that when you hit a deer with an arrow and it starts running away, in the course of 30 sec it's runnig speed gradually slows from 100% down to 30%. It would simulate the phisical pain that slowly kicks in after the initial adrenaline rush is over. It would require decent amount of "tracking" (running after it) but eventually you could catch up with it and finish it off.

*Bullets are smaller and in a flesh tissue might not inflict so much pain. If you shoot a deer the same effect could occur but the speed would be reduced to only 60%. It would balance the fact that guns are faster shootin.

*In both cases there could be random chance of bleed out buff over the course of 1 min.

*It'd be cool if the heart and the head had fast kill hitboxes but otherwise one-shooting should never occur to keep things interesting.

*Is it possible to detect how many hits were required to kill the deer and based on that give less leather on harvest when it has more holes in it.

A bleeding buff, with movement slowing effect should not be that hard, but not something I think we would want to spend time on for A17. I'm sure there will be much polish and features added for a18/Beta, which would be the time to refine parts of the game.

Yeah I fully agree with you there. Even though I'm personally not such a big fan of modding, I will definitely try to adjust those values if they are added as such. I'm just thinking about the majority of the people who do not want/know how/are not interested in modding, how such a change will affect them. I'm worried most of them will burn through A17 rather quickly.

We can gate anything with levels if need be. So far I haven't really seen a need. Sure I can get a workbench fast, but there are so many other things I want and need like more hit points, more stamina, better cardio, sexual t-rex, the first pack mule perk, and that doesn't even begin to touch specializing in at least one ranged and one melee weapon. We'll probably level gate a few perks if we think its OP, or make a rare craft ingredient so even with the perk you might be scrounging a while to make what you want.

I know you guys are speculating, its all you can do at the moment but without knowing every detail you can be so far from the truth its kind of funny. Oh I can craft this or that. Big deal, its garbage without mods. A pink fire axe does the same damage as a brown one, but it has more mod slots and is more durable. But until you FIND mods (not craftable, not for sale yet) your damage isn't anything stellar. Of course we're turning a LOT of knobs right now, so its really hard to say what is what just yet.

I'm only on day 7 of my first game here but so far its been pretty hard. I don't even have any armor yet at ALL. IMO this is the greatest build by far. Like if you run out of food your screwed. Your stamina bar blacks out as your hunger increases so you have less and less energy and the more you move, melee, harvest the more calories you use. I was so weak one day I couldn't run for more than a couple seconds and couldn't really power attack and barely chop wood with primary. It was crazy. Lucikly I found some pigs and built myself a sturdy tower to shoot them from. They almost knocked it down too attacking the base of it. I'm having so much fun, even with incomplete perks and some bugs.

We can gate anything with levels if need be. So far I haven't really seen a need. Sure I can get a workbench fast, but there are so many other things I want and need like more hit points, more stamina, better cardio, sexual t-rex, the first pack mule perk, and that doesn't even begin to touch specializing in at least one ranged and one melee weapon. We'll probably level gate a few perks if we think its OP, or make a rare craft ingredient so even with the perk you might be scrounging a while to make what you want.

I know you guys are speculating, its all you can do at the moment but without knowing every detail you can be so far from the truth its kind of funny. Oh I can craft this or that. Big deal, its garbage without mods. A pink fire axe does the same damage as a brown one, but it has more mod slots and is more durable. But until you FIND mods (not craftable, not for sale yet) your damage isn't anything stellar. Of course we're turning a LOT of knobs right now, so its really hard to say what is what just yet.

I'm only on day 7 of my first game here but so far its been pretty hard. I don't even have any armor yet at ALL. IMO this is the greatest build by far. Like if you run out of food your screwed. Your stamina bar blacks out as your hunger increases so you have less and less energy and the more you move, melee, harvest the more calories you use. I was so weak one day I couldn't run for more than a couple seconds and couldn't really power attack and barely chop wood with primary. It was crazy. Lucikly I found some pigs and built myself a sturdy tower to shoot them from. They almost knocked it down too attacking the base of it. I'm having so much fun, even with incomplete perks and some bugs.

Ok, this makes me want to play the new build even more. Thanks for the insight MM!

...so jealous....

i dont like the perk's system at at. good for sexual t-rex miner 69 etc. but other than that no. the system whit book's is way more fun. finding the minibikebook when playing on 25%loot. that feeling is awsome!! but now? meh... press a button on the meny when hiding upstairs in a house for the night. not fun. but hey. Easy:upset:

Such a tease.... alright tell me More please. You keep talking about tool mod slots. Are you guys already putting in mods for tools? I'm starting to get my hopes up on the subject. Mods for tools/vehicles/clothing are a huge deal against that AI.

I see this as a non issue.

It reminds me of finding a high level steel tool on day 1. You can't use it because you stamina is empty in 3 swings.

But as it pertians to the workbench:

1. Assuming the recipes are the same, you would need a wrench and I have played MANY times where a wrench was not found on day 1.

2. Say you make a workbench....then what? You wont be able to produce anything meaningful until you get other things.

Not meaning to pile on you DaVegaNL, nothing but love for ya, but wanted to respond my thoughts on this.

Lastly, since you are a geologist, living at the foot of the Rocky Mountains (Aptly named I might add) this entire area is Granite. It causes a VERY large windshield mortality rate!

This...is...awesome!!!

Hey about the perk system, I have a few suggestions to make. I think it would be better if the Living Off The Land Perk was split in two separate perks for increasing animal resources yield and farming produce harvest, to create a hunter type and a farmer specialization. To me it seems OP to be good at both, (relatively early on if you try). It's immersion breaking when you play with friends or a community, and makes it harder for loners, which seems fair to me.

The first tier of the farmer(or Plant Lover) skill list could increase yield from wild plants in addition to the 20% farming yield, or perhaps the +20% could be added on the second tier. So the first farmer tier would makes sense to be acquired by a hunter since foraging is common when spending time in the wild like a hunter. Well, "just a cool roleplay idea". I'm sharing this idea cause Madmole said he wanted skills to do more than just "20% increase this and 5% that".

I would also like to see fertilizer back. The recipe could be learned at level 3 of farming. I don't care what its effect is on plants, I just like making it. Make plants grow faster? Yield one extra item for each plant with fertilizer...? They both sound good to me. I'm sharing this idea cause Madmole said he wanted skills to do more than just "20% increase this and 5% that". I noticed the fortitude skill list is full, if one extra skill was added would the UI support it? Like with a scroll bar or something...?

Archived