Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I would MUCH rather get the weapon sound distance volume fix than worry about minor things like the cricket sounds. Imho, thats a beta release polish.

Regardless of how far away you are, weapon fire sounds like it's right next to you, and has never been fixed.

Basic lighting is still also an issue as well... the mini bike light is like a car with highbeams on, and the craftable spotlight is less bright than a streetlight and has almost no falloff.

Cricket sounds have no gameplay impact, but when you can't see things because the light is overblown or doesn't cast far enough, that affects gameplay a lot.

I added the a15 craftable streetlights back in and used those because the spotlights were never really polished enough to use properly.

I get what you are saying and I completely agree with you about the lighting issues but sound is equally important because it is one of our main senses and without it we are handicapped.

The sound system should be completely reworked in the next Alpha or in Beta but it needs to be done because it is important far more important than I think some people realize.

I hear the crickets many times when I have the game running in the background. Sometimes I forget and think they are real and my wife came in my office the other day and thought they were real. They can be annoying. Is turning off the ambient sound not enough or are there ambients you want to hear?

Just so you know, being from AZ, I am hearing crickets at all times of night. I hear them right now as I type this. So consider it immersion. It's not something that bothers me because I can't escape it anyway.

Just finished an overhaul of gyrocopter handling and bug fixes. Seems ready for A17e. Vehicle forces (like the gyro top rotor) can now have a ceiling cap, so gyro altitude caps out at about 265m above bedrock.

Vehicles can now explode once broken and after some further abuse.

rip sky towers on pvp servers. no point building sky limit tower now

rip sky towers on pvp servers. no point building sky limit tower now

Nothing a well placed turret or 8 can't handle. There are gonna be some awesome new bases designed for and against Gyros. I'm already working and a honeycomb design but I know people will get far more creative than that.beehiveofficebuilding29471237.jpg

Not Mine

I get what you are saying and I completely agree with you about the lighting issues but sound is equally important because it is one of our main senses and without it we are handicapped.

The sound system should be completely reworked in the next Alpha or in Beta but it needs to be done because it is important far more important than I think some people realize.

Exactly this. Proper sound brings ALOT to a games atmosphere. I know this isn't a priority right now with all the huge changes going on, but maybe for a future release.

Hi, in one of the early perk vids of MMs there was the bottom 2 rows of the pack as encumbered slot but the latest agility perk vid showed the inventory with only the top 2 rows as non encumbered slots? Which is the one you guys are going with? Only having top 2 rows as regular slots doesnt seem alot imo

They are experimenting with balance. Could go either way or it could change to something else. It was three rows open and two rows locked back when the inventory slots were actually locked from being able to be used. When Madmole switched it to encumbrance he initially kept it the same even though now all 45 slots were available from the start. Recently he changed it to try it with three rows encumbered. You can still utilize all 45 slots so its not like anything is locked away from use. The first row of encumbered slots hardly slows you down at all and once you have a bicycle you won't be slowed in the least while traveling.

But right now he's just trying different things to see what will be released to you guys and then he'll be listening to all your feedback and it might change again.

Just finished an overhaul of gyrocopter handling and bug fixes. Seems ready for A17e. Vehicle forces (like the gyro top rotor) can now have a ceiling cap, so gyro altitude caps out at about 265m above bedrock.

Vehicles can now explode once broken and after some further abuse.

Nice work!

(The gyro was indeed a pretty sweet surprise!)

Hi all,

I remember reading in this here thread that once purchased, perks will be set in stone and you'd have to make a new character and start over if you want to change something.

My question is: what if you mis-click for example? I know the obvious answer - "Don't mis-click!", but it happens, right?

Is a quest allowing you to regain(or unlearn) 1 perk point - which you can then spend on something else - a possibility? It's not re-speccing, but it would allow for some flexibility. Only if the system framework allows it, of course.

Like I suggested...you want to respect...Have your character drink XX amount of beers or grain alcohol...you pass out , wake up naked , randomly placed , just as you had started off the game...with all your points reset and waiting...have it destroy your sleeping bag/bed as well so no easy way back and erase your map!

I think that accidentally skilling is not a thing as you have to do 2 missclicks in rapid succession to actually Misspecc your survivor.

There are also no perks which are sololy contraproductive, so even if you happen to accidentally skill some more stamina or health on your Champ, you will just benefit in another way of it.

Tldr: Skill in a peaceful Time while no urgent stuff has to be done, Take the time you need to read and decide after that decision has been made.

So if I got this right; you need 1 skill-point to unlock the forge, and an additional 4 skill-points to unlock the working bench. You get 6 skill-points from completing the tutorial quests, right?

So, if I got this right, you can unlock both the forge and the working bench after completing the tutorial?

No-one afraid this will drastically shorten the life-span of a game?

So if I got this right; you need 1 skill-point to unlock the forge, and an additional 4 skill-points to unlock the working bench. You get 6 skill-points from completing the tutorial quests, right?

So, if I got this right, you can unlock both the forge and the working bench after completing the tutorial?

Absolutely. But two things are preventing me from ranting on it.

1. I can (and definitely will) be modding that so it makes actual gameplay sense so its not a big deal to me. Im acting as if that particular change doesn't exist.

and

2. I've given up on thinking this game is ever intended to be a long term one with end game goals and achievements to work for. If anything modders are going to have to fill that role as is evident by the arcade like RPG system in place. So I'm sure getting a workbench on day one is all part of this new "we aren't an asian MMO" initiative they seem so worried about.

It would appear that the ones who kept saying things needed to be simpler and more beginner friendly were the ones who were taken into account with this entire new system. Modders have all the tools needed (hopefully) to bring the veteran players the long term gameplay that we have been looking for. So i'm over getting upset at anything found in the vanilla experience. The vanilla experience is one that will never be for me.

Now tell me I'm restricted to what I can do when it comes to modding, then we will revisit all of this.

Absolutely. But two things are preventing me from ranting on it.

1. I can (and definitely will) be modding that so it makes actual gameplay sense so its not a big deal to me. Im acting as if that particular change doesn't exist.

and

2. I've given up on thinking this game is ever intended to be a long term one with end game goals and achievements to work for. If anything modders are going to have to fill that role as is evident by the arcade like RPG system in place. So I'm sure getting a workbench on day one is all part of this new "we aren't an asian MMO" initiative they seem so worried about.

It would appear that the ones who kept saying things needed to be simpler and more beginner friendly were the ones who were taken into account with this entire new system. Modders have all the tools needed (hopefully) to bring the veteran players the long term gameplay that we have been looking for. So i'm over getting upset at anything found in the vanilla experience. The vanilla experience is one that will never be for me.

Now tell me I'm restricted to what I can do when it comes to modding, then we will revisit all of this.

Yeah I fully agree with you there. Even though I'm personally not such a big fan of modding, I will definitely try to adjust those values if they are added as such. I'm just thinking about the majority of the people who do not want/know how/are not interested in modding, how such a change will affect them. I'm worried most of them will burn through A17 rather quickly.

Well, then you have all skills to build this crafting stations - but you still need:

-Materials to build them

-Food to survive

-build a base/fortification

-you dont have the points to upgrade your weapon/armor or other skills

I guess in a team of 3-4 Players one could go that way, while the others do the rest. On singleplayer some people may set other priorities first, depending on their playstyle.

PS: I did read some different opinions already in this threat about choosing skills, and they were different. It will be only a problem if the majority of people start with this layout first, then a rearrangement would be nice.

But first we all have to test and see.

Faatal, I have a suggestion. The hunting aspect of the game is fairly simple at the moment. I have few ideas to make it more interesting.

Arrows now stick to entities.

*Could there be a buff that when you hit a deer with an arrow and it starts running away, in the course of 30 sec it's runnig speed gradually slows from 100% down to 30%. It would simulate the phisical pain that slowly kicks in after the initial adrenaline rush is over. It would require decent amount of "tracking" (running after it) but eventually you could catch up with it and finish it off.

*Bullets are smaller and in a flesh tissue might not inflict so much pain. If you shoot a deer the same effect could occur but the speed would be reduced to only 60%. It would balance the fact that guns are faster shootin.

*In both cases there could be random chance of bleed out buff over the course of 1 min.

*It'd be cool if the heart and the head had fast kill hitboxes but otherwise one-shooting should never occur to keep things interesting.

*Is it possible to detect how many hits were required to kill the deer and based on that give less leather on harvest when it has more holes in it.

Yeah I fully agree with you there. Even though I'm personally not such a big fan of modding, I will definitely try to adjust those values if they are added as such. I'm just thinking about the majority of the people who do not want/know how/are not interested in modding, how such a change will affect them. I'm worried most of them will burn through A17 rather quickly.

Believe you me I am VERy sympathetic to people who do not mod. I am thankful I love it so much, but I personally gave up fighting for anything I enjoy ever being a reality in vanilla. It has been made clear to me that my wants are definitely my own and that no one would ever buy any kind of game that I were to produce since my understanding of what the general public wants is out of touch with reality.

:noidea:

Archived