Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I hear the crickets many times when I have the game running in the background. Sometimes I forget and think they are real and my wife came in my office the other day and thought they were real. They can be annoying. Is turning off the ambient sound not enough or are there ambients you want to hear?

There are things I don't want screaming in my ears like chainsaws, crickets, guns, zombies, engines, weather, etc. Why can't these be intelligently controlled, why are they just all lumped into 2 controls, even minecraft has more sound controls than this game, it's very annoying and frustrating.

There are things I don't want screaming in my ears like chainsaws, crickets, guns, zombies etc, why can't these be intelligently controlled, why are they just all lumped into 2 controls, even minecraft has more sound controls than this game, it's very annoying and frustrating.

I personally enjoy when my buddy is about 200 yards away and he shoots a shotgun, and it sounds like it went off inside my ear.

I would MUCH rather get the weapon sound distance volume fix than worry about minor things like the cricket sounds. Imho, thats a beta release polish.

Regardless of how far away you are, weapon fire sounds like it's right next to you, and has never been fixed.

Basic lighting is still also an issue as well... the mini bike light is like a car with highbeams on, and the craftable spotlight is less bright than a streetlight and has almost no falloff.

Cricket sounds have no gameplay impact, but when you can't see things because the light is overblown or doesn't cast far enough, that affects gameplay a lot.

I added the a15 craftable streetlights back in and used those because the spotlights were never really polished enough to use properly.

If a version is released that is a 17.x you are correct that most likely it will not require a restart. If a restart is required they won’t call it 17.5. They’ll call it A18. That’s why I said you shouldn’t marry any version number Madmole throws out right now. If finishing perks can be done without a restart then they will call it 17.5 and you should be good. But if it plus other changes require a restart then it will progress to the next full Alpha number irrespective of whether Joel said “A17.5” in some video.

But when it comes to a perk/attribute system, a voluntary restart will likely be necessary even with a 17.x build if it isnt balanced, complete, works properly etc. Joel is taking his time to showcase the perk system. It's a strange move to release the build with it incomplete.

But when it comes to a perk/attribute system, a voluntary restart will likely be necessary even with a 17.x build if it isnt balanced, complete, works properly etc. Joel is taking his time to showcase the perk system. It's a strange move to release the build with it incomplete.

Nothing is complete until gold and if they waited to release it until things were complete then we wouldn’t have early access. Incidentally it is the experimental version that is getting ready to release and not the stable 17.0 version anyway.

He is just showing it off to give us a taste. Afterall this is still a game im development even if A17E releases. The true balancing will come when they get the feedback of us using it during A17E.

Also that experimental might give someone a good idea how a perk would work better that they didn’t think about.

So I've been watching the recent vids. I'm super excited about All the perks and stuff and MM has talked about balancing the perks, but I was wondering, will we only be able to pick 10 perks from each attribute? Strength has 10 different sub categories, Intellect has 9, and perception has 10 as well. Each of the sub categories can take 4 or 5 perks.

I see this being a bit of a problem because, For example: If i like sniper rifles and I want to Max in "Boom Headshot" and "Dead Eye", then I Will Use up all my points in those two areas which leaves me Unable to put Anything into either of the Scavenging perks. I'm ok with being forced to pick one ranged weapon and one melee weapon, but I'm worried that even with 2 or 3 players you won't be able to Access everything the game has to offer. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, I just worry because It's hard to get more than 3 players (at least for me), especially if we're trying to coordinate to all play at the same time.

My understanding (and it could be wrong), is that you can spend you perk points in ANY perk you desire, in any Attribute you desire, provided you have at least the (Perk level x2) ranks in the given attribute. So to unlock level 5 of all the Strength perks, you'd need at least level 9 in the attribute (and possible level 10, if TFP aren't rounding up).

So you could get to Rank 6 in Strength, and you'd be able to buy up to Rank 3 in any or all of the skills/perks under the Strength umbrella.

I think that's it anyway. Devs, feel free to correct me if needed!

He is just showing it off to give us a taste. Afterall this is still a game im development even if A17E releases. The true balancing will come when they get the feedback of us using it during A17E.

Also that experimental might give someone a good idea how a perk would work better that they didn’t think about.

Pretty confident the contributions of customers with bug reporting will only be for major game breaking issues. A16e bug reporting was a poopshow and TPF admitted as much

Snip

There is no limit to how many points you can put in an Attribute and it's perks. Every other point in the Attribute unlocks a level of the perk all the way to 7 where you have access to level 4 of all perks in that Attribute. You need level 10 in the Attribute to unlock the last level.

You are correct that it is limiting in what you can choose and MM has said several times that it is intentional. With approximately 205 points to spend on 295 Attribute/ Perks decisions have to be made.

If you max everything into Strength and its Perks that is 99 points spent. You only have 106 left (unless they lift the level cap). So choose wisely grasshopper. The choices we make echo in eternity.

Edit to add:

For example with the Google Sheet I made I put all the skill points where I wanted them and with 205 points spent have this distribution:

50 in Strength

45 in Perception

45 in Intellect

50 in Fortitude

15 in Agility

That fits my play style. I am a heavy armor wearer with club and crossbow primarily. I also love to build and craft, so this works for me.

For example: If i like sniper rifles and I want to Max in "Boom Headshot" and "Dead Eye", then I Will Use up all my points in those two areas which leaves me Unable to put Anything into either of the Scavenging perks. I'm ok with being forced to pick one ranged weapon and one melee weapon, but I'm worried that even with 2 or 3 players you won't be able to Access everything the game has to offer. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, I just worry because It's hard to get more than 3 players (at least for me), especially if we're trying to coordinate to all play at the same time.

In your example: two maxed perks in same attribute

Maxed Perception: 10 points

Maxed Boom Headshot: 5 points

Maxed Dead Eye: 5 points

You just spent 20 points out of approximately 205 possible points. You will have plenty of points to spend on other things and those 20 points will probably be achievable within the first 2 weeks of game time so you'll be able to play most of the game maxed with the two perks and the one attribute you feel most strongly about.

Second example: two maxed perks in two different attributes

Maxed Strength: 10 Points

Maxed Ranged Weapon Perk: 5 points

Maxed Melee Weapon Perk: 5 points

This would cost you 30 points...still a fraction of the total points you have available to you.

I think you'll be fine. :)

Something I noticed with the stealth branch, is there no longer bonus sneak damage for the bow? I know it cant be ranged in general because loud noises unless silenced weapons, but I didn't see anything for now sneak damage. Is it still the normal 2x, is it gone, or has it just not yet been included or maybe forgotten? I could see going full stealth, with now, and max headshot. Clear full POI without ever alerting a zombie easily. Probably too easy, but just means I'd be weaker for other things. But yeah, bow sneak damage, that.

- - - Updated - - -

You just spent 20 points out of approximately 205 possible points. You will have plenty of points to spend on other things and those 20 points will probably be achievable within the first 2 weeks of game time so you'll be able to play most of the game maxed with the two perks and the one attribute you feel most strongly about.

This would cost you 30 points...still a fraction of the total points you have available to you.

Unless there is no max level, since it's still being discussed. Then it's just based on time. And 2 weeks for 20 points, oh dear lord. I play maybe, maybe, 3 hours a week... so less than a level per week for me, shoot me now. I'll for sure have to look at increasing xp gains, or I will hate this game at that rate, lol.

Unless there is no max level, since it's still being discussed. Then it's just based on time. And 2 weeks for 20 points, oh dear lord. I play maybe, maybe, 3 hours a week... so less than a level per week for me, shoot me now. I'll for sure have to look at increasing xp gains, or I will hate this game at that rate, lol.

2 in-game weeks. So before day 14 in the game you should easily be to level 14 and having done the starter quests that would give you 20 points. What does real time play rates per week matter since the game will pick up right where you left off each time you sit down to play?

2 in-game weeks. So before day 14 in the game you should easily be to level 14 and having done the starter quests that would give you 20 points. What does real time play rates per week matter since the game will pick up right where you left off each time you sit down to play?

Okay, I can deal with that, lol. Thank you for the clear up. Been a loooong day at work so far.

There are lots of issues with sound but I just figured fixing sound was much lower on the honey-do list. Maybe sound is worked on in beta?? Besides the ambient noise and gun shot localization mentioned above, I get a silent swing while mining about every 10 swings. Same for firing the bow. It actually generates a sound error log in my 7 days folder. I posted a bug report many alphas ago just to let them know. Annoying--yes, but I'm sure they'll get around to it when more important issues are fixed.

Hey Roland. I was saying the same thing about two days ago and Madmole responded with this:

We're talking about no level cap, but it might take 6 months of game play to get to a high enough level to get all the perks. The idea is you can reasonably spec out your character by level 50. It needs a lot of testing yet to see how it all works out.

Nice right? :)

I hear the crickets many times when I have the game running in the background. Sometimes I forget and think they are real and my wife came in my office the other day and thought they were real. They can be annoying. Is turning off the ambient sound not enough or are there ambients you want to hear?

Dev inquires about "Ambient Sounds" and some ppl respond about "Ambient sound" and gave their input.. and yet others go off the deep end.

Didn't see anywhere that the Dev even implied they would address this in this build cycle.

Nor did I see anywhere, of those that were actually responding about "Ambient Sound", demanding it be done this build cycle either..

When forums go :bi_polo:

First off, would you guys PLEASE stop beating that dead horse about the zombie bodies. The devs have already stated MORE THAN ONCE that the corpses disappearing that fast was a BUG and would not happen like that. yes, we can no longer loot or probably harvest them, but if they have loot it will be a bag that will appear. they won't just die and poof. (heck in live right now sometimes you overshoot something and it goes poof, especially animals that dire standing up)

Second, To the Devs:

When Beta releases will we have to purchase a new copy? Same for when it goes Gold?

Archived