Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Hey Roland.

I know I'm late to the game of twenty questions but I wanted to try. I thought about your question and the clue you gave us. Bags within bags.

So here it goes.

The new bag system the player starts off with there backpack but then gets to upgrade. Each upgrade not also adds more storage space but another bag to there person. Like a fanny-pack money belt, side pack, even a purse (or man bag lol). Oh and the Satchel.

Well...

The bag within a bag was a hint about what movie reference I used and not a hint about the inventory change.

...and OMFG seriously you can avoid getting hit by the bear by being on his back???? WHO GETS THAT CLOSE?

One time, when I was a lowly level 2 with only a bow and some arrows, a bear started trying to get to me while I was in a POI. I got on the roof and lured it around to where I safely could shoot it from my perch. If I knew that bears couldn't get me by being on their backs, I would have jumped down on that sucker to melee him instead of wasting arrows.

They have been heavy-duty testing for weeks now. Not sure why you got that from my comments that worse-than-A16-death-penalties haven't been implemented yet.

But there will most likely still be a poll #4....

Well, that is not entirely true. There has been heavy-duty testing and some major skill hooking, and some major system hooking, and some major etc. That per se cannot be considered a pure and plain "heavy duty testing".

Based purely on steamdb and the rate of internal updating, I would say that we are anywhere from 15 days to 40 days away from a17e update. I mean, yesterday alone there were like 3 updates, usually 9 hour separation between them,which is followed by a pause, then a burst of updates...etc. Based on the work on other alphas that means until we are at the 1-3 hour mark between updates (which means art+programming is up to date on everything and they are at JUST :"oh there`s this tiny bug/texture tweak!") we should't expect streamer weekend.

That said and as much as I love to speculate, I would wait another 3 months if the devs deem it necessary. I've never been more certain on a EA videogame than with this one. Overscoping content was always the virtue of TFP and for that I gave 1500 hours of my life.

The results of the 20 questions to have them all in 1 place:

@CPLCritter: 1st question: Is it a backpack that is visible on the player? As in customizable backpacks.

1) NO. The backpack isn't customizable nor does the look of it change when viewing a player.

@Zilla: Speaking of Backpacks, 1 little annoyance i saw with the new system is the lock symbol in the backpacks. Is there anyway to just not have the backspace instead of a ton of lock symbols?

2) NO. All slots will be visible.

@Erik Louden: It's now an infinite bag of holding with a chance of spawning 30 ferals when opened?

3) NO. There are still stack limits and a finite number of slots and there is no chance of spawning anything when opened other than the classic zipper noise.

@The Gronk: How much controversy is this likely to cause? Should I get myself comfortable for this?

4) YES. Controversy is always generated whenever there is a change.

@SnowDog1942: Does the backpack have improved lighting?

5) NO. There is no change to lighting which is why there are no screenshots.

@The Gronk: Is there a change to the way contents are stored in the backpack other than the already revealed auto-sort?

6) YES. There is a change to how they are stored and the player will be concerned with how they are sorted but NO it isn't a sorting function in and of itself. (2 for 1)

@Erik Louden: Backpacks have a new pouch with easy rinse ability for carrying all the feces you collect from toilets?

7) NO. There are no new specialized slots for feces, underwear, or what-have-you.

@FileMachete: Is there any type of seperation of storage 'slots'? Example a refillable water bladder.

8) YES. There is a separation of storage slots but not for specialized purposes.

@SnowDog1942: Will backpacks be able to carry 20 tons of Stone and Concrete thus causing panic with immersion warriors?

9) NO. Immersion Warriors have cause to smile and nod their heads in agreement with each other and smirk at those who don't agree with them due to the recent changes.

@Erik Louden: Oh i got it, all vehicles have been removed from the game and you now build handlebars, wheels and engine which to attach to your packback so you can ride it to get around faster!

10) NO. And I can think of nothing witty to say in response to that..

@FileMachete: Is hmm... is there any type of 'nested' storage? So new item X takes up one backpack slot but itself has y number of slots?

11) NO. Leonardo DiCaprio and Ellen Page are not on the development staff.

@Erik Louden: Ok, ok, this has to be it. On horde nights your can crawl inside you backpack and you will be ignored by the blood moon horde (like a mobile base)!

12) NO. #Nosafeplace

@Orsey: Will can one item has different stack in different inventory?

Example:

Water:

in backpack - 5

in minibike - 15

in jeep – 50

13) NO. Stack sizes are universal as they are now.

@Blake_: Well... are different backpacks as a clothing item finally a thing (PLUS those locked storage/strenght slots) for us packrats?

15) NO. There is still just one backpack and it isn't wearable like clothing it is still simply the UI screen of slots. We won't be using a variety of wearable packs with different slot maximums.

@Dimpy: Will things in your backpack make it harder to jump or climb?

16) YES. There COULD be a penalty to mobility depending on player organizational choices. (I'm purposely changing your specifics of "jump" and "climb" to a more generic "mobility" since there's only four questions left.

@Blake_: IS THERE a hotkey/thing to empty all your bag at once?. Damn that would be cool.

17) NO. And YES that would be cool and YES it's a travesty that it isn't implemented yet but NO that's not it and I would so tell you if that was it.

@Henrique: Do slots open up when you put on clothing?

18) NO. Clothing does not add or remove slots from the backpack inventory. The maximum inventory size is unchanged from what was revealed before. (The extra row is still there)

@Blake_: Well boyz, all items have weight now and the more items you got in you backpack the more stamina you burn or something like that.

Genuine question: Is that correct in some way?

19) YES. That was correct in some way but also incorrect in a fundamental way.

@Dust2death: Can you elaborate?

20) NO. But thanks for a great final question.

so, aside from all the stupid questions wasting answers, what I've gleaned is:

1: I know perks for "strength" will increase bag size, iirc from one of the videos previously released.

2: I feel like Roland was cryptically hinting at bag weight impacting player mobility, but he also said someone was wrong when they mentioned draining stamina. So to me it sounds like it wont drain your stamina, but it will make you slower perhaps, or prevent you from jumping or maybe swimming? Or maybe it will drain stamina, but he was wrong about all items having weight.

3: When asked about money, all we got were dots, but he could just be teasing us because he hit his 20 questions, but, I would love to think that dukes would go into their own special slot as to not take up space anymore? If this is the case, would we still be able to trade them, or store them in chests?

1: I know perks for "strength" will increase bag size, iirc from one of the videos previously released.

2: I feel like Roland was cryptically hinting at bag weight impacting player mobility, but he also said someone was wrong when they mentioned draining stamina. So to me it sounds like it wont drain your stamina, but it will make you slower perhaps, or prevent you from jumping or maybe swimming? Or maybe it will drain stamina, but he was wrong about all items having weight.

3: When asked about money, all we got were dots, but he could just be teasing us because he hit his 20 questions, but, I would love to think that dukes would go into their own special slot as to not take up space anymore? If this is the case, would we still be able to trade them, or store them in chests?

I wonder if there's a way to link certain bag slots to certain gear (such as leg gear). So if more stuff is in the "leg gear item slot" then you go slower than if you had "lighter" stuff, etc. It makes me think that because of the "organizational choices". Why would I care how I organize otherwise. Not sure how that'd work with having to open up slots with str, but ya know, it's kinda cool to think about. But yepp, mostly all dumb questions and quite a few repeated ones just said in a different way.

the game is amazing, A17 will be even better, Im opening a gaming center in Texas and 7 days will be one of the main games I host, but the overall community, being afraid to inv new players, is just gonna kill any chance it has to go mainstream. main concern.

I play on a great community server (PVE) the regulars are helpful to new comers.

(look for a modded name with "Free Jeep" or "Do or Die" )

also with the advent of A17 we should see more groups teaming up from what I have read. (while A18 will promote Bosses that will most likely take a group to attack? maybe?)

I'm in Texas as well PM me with more details where :)

There are no stupid questions!

I would have assumed this close to release that all the features was implemented/ finished for the alpha just being optimized

Here's where you went wrong. No one ever said we were "this close". Sure Roland said maybe October, and emails say "not this week or next but could be three" but they are all estimates.

Here is what I have done. I stopped waiting. I stopped looking. Im working and actually almost done with a new mod, I read up when I can but what I do not do is come here and expect to get that release date every day. Its a set up for disappointment. Just enjoy other things. No amount of asking, threatening , boycotting is going to make t release any sooner.

My bet is on early December, just to keep my expectations in check. If it is sooner awesome. If it is later maybe then we can revisit this statement.

Here's where you went wrong. No one ever said we were "this close". Sure Roland said maybe October, and emails say "not this week or next but could be three" but they are all estimates.

Here is what I have done. I stopped waiting. I stopped looking. Im working and actually almost done with a new mod, I read up when I can but what I do not do is come here and expect to get that release date every day. Its a set up for disappointment. Just enjoy other things. No amount of asking, threatening , boycotting is going to make t release any sooner.

My bet is on early December, just to keep my expectations in check. If it is sooner awesome. If it is later maybe then we can revisit this statement.

That's the best way to deal with the situation, check in to see how things are progressing, try not to get too worked up, then go about your life.

Yeah I'm always a bit shocked when there is mention of what is being worked on. I think the vagueness of release and the hints of when made it seem (to me) that the A17a was in a polish state but then I hear what's being worked on and realize there is still much to do.

I do think the weekly "not this week" updates are helpful but I do wish it was in the dev diary for easy finding.

Will we have access to A17e the sametime as the streamers (which i'm not watching)?

Yeah I'm always a bit shocked when there is mention of what is being worked on. I think the vagueness of release and the hints of when made it seem (to me) that the A17a was in a polish state but then I hear what's being worked on and realize there is still much to do.

I do think the weekly "not this week" updates are helpful but I do wish it was in the dev diary for easy finding.

Will we have access to A17e the sametime as the streamers (which i'm not watching)?

The monday following. They will get it on a friday, released to public following monday.

Erik, my understanding is that the rest of us will get A17e the Monday(ish) following the streamer weekend, so not simultaneously, no.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Wolff. Thanks, mate. ;)

Oh? A new mod? Pray tell what it is, lol

All those questions and answers about backpack space remind me of someone talking about specialized item groups awhile ago (few items merging into one group), and special items for increasing/decreasing player abilities like shoes that give you 5% more speed and such.

I could see items scattered around the world that are mostly clutter going into one unified group upon pickup.

Archived