Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

but not while standing still, in most games you cant run while aiming, and you would have to aim for a few minutes to get tired

It would not take a few minutes. Ignoring laying down where the ground does all of the work holding up the gun just try standing and hold your arms like you are aiming a gun. It takes very little time before you start having more and more trouble keeping your aim steady. This is ignoring bows where it takes practically no time to tire out if you are trying to aim. (Though not sure if the perk in question related to bows or not.)

If your GPU is doing pathfinding what are you using to do the graphics?

If your CPU is running your OS, what are you using to run 7 Days? Pretty sure modern graphics cards can multi-task. (I am in no implying the path finding should be pushed to the graphics card. Pretty sure they are using libraries to do the A* stuff so pushing it to graphics card would be a monumental effort if the libraries don't already support that.)

With this new skill point change, whereas you get +1 experience point with each level gained, why not make it so you get -1 negative experience point on death, because I don't think losing some health on death will do much to stop people from using death home delivery service.

If your CPU is running your OS, what are you using to run 7 Days? Pretty sure modern graphics cards can multi-task. (I am in no implying the path finding should be pushed to the graphics card. Pretty sure they are using libraries to do the A* stuff so pushing it to graphics card would be a monumental effort if the libraries don't already support that.)

It's not either/or but it still has an impact. More pathfinding on the GPU means less GPU power to do graphics. Since the reason we use a separate processor for graphics is that they're very processing intensive so you'll be adding extra work to a system that's already strained. Doing calculations on the GPU is fine in a research environment but not for a produced game.

The same applies for the OS, I use linux most of the time because, if set up correctly, it uses far less CPU power than windows.

With this new skill point change, whereas you get +1 experience point with each level gained, why not make it so you get -1 negative experience point on death, because I don't think losing some health on death will do much to stop people from using death home delivery service.

Dont know the specifics, but Roland has said somewhere that dying is much much more painfull in a17. Eating glass for TP is gonna hurt real bad.

@Roland: hope it was indeed you who elaborated on it a bit. Correct me if im wrong pls.

Cheers

Shoot something.

Gain experience.

Go up a level.

Buy skill with new points.

Die and lose experience.

Go down a level.

Shoot something.

Gain experience.

Go up a level.

Die and lose experience.

Lather, rinse, repeat...

Dont know the specifics, but Roland has said somewhere that dying is much much more painfull in a17. Eating glass for TP is gonna hurt real bad.

@Roland: hope it was indeed you who elaborated on it a bit. Correct me if im wrong pls.

Cheers

I said the new system is capable of that but I don’t know yet what TFP will ultimately do. Penalty for dying has been discussed a bit but nothing truly penalizing (IMO) has been implemented yet. The devs have to keep newbies in mind in this regard and be careful that whatever they implement as default won’t result in an almost guaranteed death spiral.

Death penalties definitely need to be an aspect of the difficulty level chosen or be an option chosen before playing and neither of those are implemented as of now.

Shoot something.

Gain experience.

Go up a level.

Die and lose experience.

Go down a level.

Shoot something.

Gain experience.

Go up a level.

Die and lose experience.

Lather, rinse, repeat...

something like that would be interesting. you really need to think twice, before you let yourself to kill. other hand, this way you can rearrange your skills. and keep you working all the time.

I said the new system is capable of that but I don’t know yet what TFP will ultimately do. Penalty for dying has been discussed a bit but nothing truly penalizing (IMO) has been implemented yet. The devs have to keep newbies in mind in this regard and be careful that whatever they implement as default won’t result in an almost guaranteed death spiral.

Death penalties definitely need to be an aspect of the difficulty level chosen or be an option chosen before playing and neither of those are implemented as of now.

Nothing implemented as of yet? Hm.. Guess they are still not in the phase of development where they start heavy-duty play-testing A17e.

Have you thought about a set-up for poll #4?

It's not either/or but it still has an impact. More pathfinding on the GPU means less GPU power to do graphics. Since the reason we use a separate processor for graphics is that they're very processing intensive so you'll be adding extra work to a system that's already strained. Doing calculations on the GPU is fine in a research environment but not for a produced game.

The same applies for the OS, I use linux most of the time because, if set up correctly, it uses far less CPU power than windows.

I understand that. But, I have an Nvidia 1050 and this game doesn't push it at all. There are plenty of cycles available for use. It is still most likely more work than its worth. But it's not because this game taxes the GPU. I just thought your reply earlier came off a bit dismissive like they were suggesting something impossible.

Shoot something.

Gain experience.

Go up a level.

Die and lose experience.

Go down a level.

Shoot something.

Gain experience.

Go up a level.

Die and lose experience.

Lather, rinse, repeat...

You could have it so you just lose XP (and it can go into the negative). Say you're level 1 with 700 xp and you need 1k xp for level 2, then you die dropping you back to 200xp. Die again, -300xp. You now need 1.3k XP to level 2.

You could have the amount scale with level. Would certainly give you a good reason to avoid dying at all costs.

Could be annoying, too. An option to turn this on and off would be good.

I understand that. But, I have an Nvidia 1050 and this game doesn't push it at all. There are plenty of cycles available for use. It is still most likely more work than its worth. But it's not because this game taxes the GPU. I just thought your reply earlier came off a bit dismissive like they were suggesting something impossible.

In your case, but how much the GPU is used is going to depend on your CPU, GPU, Resolution and individual graphic settings. I.E., my RX 480 which is stronger than the 1050 is completely maxed when I play on lowest settings due to my resolution. Throw path finding onto the GPU as well and my frame rate will drop from its already low 45-50 FPS.

In theory, pathfinding would be better if using a parallel processor, right? Only reason it's not done that way is because in most games the GPU is throttled to max and little CPU usage. In 7 days, though, that's not the case. So can I ask, have you managed to convert the A* code to use the GPU?

But 7d2d still uses only a single core on the CPU, right? So instead of transforming the code to a GPU already in use it would be much easier to just use one of the idle CPU cores.

But 7d2d still uses only a single core on the CPU, right? So instead of transforming the code to a GPU already in use it would be much easier to just use one of the idle CPU cores.

Watchout you might get reported or moved to the "nobody cares what you think" forum

Your right though...makes no since...most gamers are using quadcores in stuff.....

Food for thought....Maybe thats why UMA zombies had a huge performance impact

But hey what do i know right.....lol

Shoot something.

Gain experience.

Go up a level.

Die and lose experience.

Go down a level.

Shoot something.

Gain experience.

Go up a level.

Die and lose experience.

Lather, rinse, repeat...

something like that would be interesting. you really need to think twice, before you let yourself to kill. other hand, this way you can rearrange your skills. and keep you working all the time.

Honestly, that's not interesting at all.

Well boyz, all items have weight now and the more items you got in you backpack the more stamina you burn or something like that.

Genuine question: Is that correct in some way?

19) YES. That was correct in some way but also incorrect in a fundamental way.

For all who might have missed the most significant question and answer, this is it.

Since it is improbable that weight has been added (because it would make building stuff very inconvenient) and I think Roland also already ruled that out, we can guess that that is the fundamentaly incorrect way.

This would mean that "the more items you got in you backpack the more stamina you burn or something like that" is the correct part. And like _blake who posted this idea already I think it is "something like that" and it means you will run slower if you got more slots filled in your backpack.

Archived