Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I understand that. But, I have an Nvidia 1050 and this game doesn't push it at all. There are plenty of cycles available for use. It is still most likely more work than its worth. But it's not because this game taxes the GPU. I just thought your reply earlier came off a bit dismissive like they were suggesting something impossible.

Apologies, hadn't had my second cup of coffee yet.

The problem is that many people are only able to play on a machine that's stretched to the limit due to poor hardware. Unloading calculations onto the GPU would render it unplayable for them (terrible pun intended). Not everyone has a gaming rig.

I kind of feel like every time you tell us about a feature you say your not sure what tfp are going to do yet. Are they actually done with any features for a17 or is it all still work in process @ Roland.

Confirmed feature list is in https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?87756-The-Official-A17-Developer-s-Diary-for-Developers

Some people actually like hearing about future plans

In your case, but how much the GPU is used is going to depend on your CPU, GPU, Resolution and individual graphic settings. I.E., my RX 480 which is stronger than the 1050 is completely maxed when I play on lowest settings due to my resolution. Throw path finding onto the GPU as well and my frame rate will drop from its already low 45-50 FPS.

What resolution do you play on with the lowest settings? I play 1920x1080 with mid range settings and my GPU is never pushed. Of course my CPU is a potato. Well not a potato. It's just getting old. 1st gen i7 is showing it's age pretty bad now. So my CPU bottlenecks probably stop me from pushing the GPU much.

I need to pick a new motherboard and buy it so I can get a new CPU at some point but $$$$ :(

Shoot something.

Gain experience.

Go up a level.

Buy skill with new points.

Die and lose experience.

Go down a level.

Shoot something.

Gain experience.

Go up a level.

Buy skill with new points.

Die and lose experience.

Lather, rinse, repeat...

What I had in mind was...

Let's say you can get to lvl 100 max. Now, you just got to level 10, if you decide not to spend any points and you die, you lose one point and now your total is 9 points.

But, if you spent all your 10 points so you are at 0, and then you die, you would have -1 points. So when you level up again, you would be at 0 points.

So basically, everytime you die you decrease the total number of experience points you could have spent on skills in total.

Let's say you can get to lvl 100 max. Now, you just got to level 10, if you decide not to spend any points and you die, you lose one point and now your total is 9 points.

But, if you spent all your 10 points so you are at 0, and then you die, you would have -1 points. So when you level up again, you would be at 0 points.

So basically, everytime you die you decrease the total number of experience points you could have spent on skills in total.

I actually think this would be a nice option to try. I might conceivably play something other than Dead is Dead if this was the way death worked. I would at least test it out and see how I like it.

Edit: And before the doom and gloomers: Yes, it can be an option. I like death to mean something in survival games but I don't care if you play that way.

Edit: when I said experience points I meant skill points, you wouldn't lose experience that makes you level up

My guess on the bag question:

We know that there is something to do with encumbrance and the way you sort things. Rolland said that it would depend on how you sort them.

So I am wondering if there is a section that allows you to store the heavier things with less effect on encumbrance.

If you put the pile of 6000 rocks in this area it is minimal, if you put those rocks in the general area of the backpack they slow you down much more.

I actually think this would be a nice option to try. I might conceivably play something other than Dead is Dead if this was the way death worked. I would at least test it out and see how I like it.

Edit: And before the doom and gloomers: Yes, it can be an option. I like death to mean something in survival games but I don't care if you play that way.

Yes, this is meant for harder difficulty levels, it wouldn't work with beginner levels of difficulty, for obvious reasons.

Confirmed feature list is in https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?87756-The-Official-A17-Developer-s-Diary-for-Developers

Some people actually like hearing about future plans

You miss interpreted what I meant. Some this he’s told us about such as hooking skills up are not finished yet I would have assumed this close to release that all the features was implemented/ finished for the alpha just being optimized

Yes, this is meant for harder difficulty levels, it wouldn't work with beginner levels of difficulty, for obvious reasons.

You could do -0 for Scavenger, Adventurer and Nomad (Since Nomad is listed as 'Normal')

-1 for Warrior

-3 for Survivalist

-5 for Insane

I mean if we are going to do it, let's do it. Insane should be insane.

My guess on the bag question:

We know that there is something to do with encumbrance and the way you sort things. Rolland said that it would depend on how you sort them.

So I am wondering if there is a section that allows you to store the heavier things with less effect on encumbrance.

If you put the pile of 6000 rocks in this area it is minimal, if you put those rocks in the general area of the backpack they slow you down much more.

It would also fit _blake's hypothesis:

If you put the 6000 rocks as 10 stacks of 600 rocks you will be slower if the number of filled slots make you slower. So "how you sort" aka place them has an influence.

It would also fit _blake's hypothesis:

If you put the 6000 rocks as 10 stacks of 600 rocks you will be slower if the number of filled slots make you slower. So "how you sort" aka place them has an influence.

Yes, absolutely.

I seem to remember Roland saying something about sections....(goes back and looks)

Edit:

@Roland: 8) YES. There is a separation of storage slots but not for specialized purposes.

So not a section as I was thinking, but separation of slots.

Yes, absolutely.

I seem to remember Roland saying something about sections....(goes back and looks)

Edit:

@Roland: 8) YES. There is a separation of storage slots but not for specialized purposes.

Roland said that we'll be punished for having a fuller inventory and that vehicle storage remains unchanged?!? So we'll just be slow all the time or have to have a million chests to check through (not to mention much slower looting of cities)?!?

I'm deleting my game right now and suing TFP for damages!

/s

I kind of feel like every time you tell us about a feature you say your not sure what tfp are going to do yet. Are they actually done with any features for a17 or is it all still work in process @ Roland.

every time...?

I'm not a developer or a decision maker. I am privy to their discussions but I don't know their minds. With the new system, assigning debuffs or other penalties is a snap. They could do whatever they decide to do very quickly. That is not the tough part. The tough part is deciding how draconian to go and honestly it is not a critical decision that must be made in order to get A17e out the door.

Everything is always still a work in progress until the game goes gold. Believing that all features of the game are going to be completed before A17e ships is going to lead to disappointment.

Yes, absolutely.

Edit:

Well, that answer is still a mystery to me.

Nothing implemented as of yet? Hm.. Guess they are still not in the phase of development where they start heavy-duty play-testing A17e.

Have you thought about a set-up for poll #4?

They have been heavy-duty testing for weeks now. Not sure why you got that from my comments that worse-than-A16-death-penalties haven't been implemented yet.

But there will most likely still be a poll #4....

Yes, absolutely.

Edit:

Sounds a lot to me like the toolbar and backpack are being handled separately. One affects mobility, the other doesn't.

I like the idea of the construction stacks not limiting mobility while the gameplay stuff does, but at the same time it throws realism out the window (...more?)

10 stacks of wood in your backpack slows you down, but a stack of concrete blocks in your hand doesn't so you can still base-build without this new thing impacting you? Hmm. Could also be the opposite, backpack doesn't matter but carrying around a cubic meter of concrete in your hands makes you (a lot) slower/less agile.

I still like the idea of pushable shopping carts.

Backpackgate. I love it. I want a big backpack, since i am one of those nasty underground mass crafting mongrels. Alhtough I have seen some storage warehouses that make me og, How would I ever find anything???? I usually have 15 containers so I can SORT!!! I guess if backpacks change how I carry stuff, I will alter my playstyle to accommodate it. I can't imagine a change the devs are making that would be a dealbreaker for me (unless my gtx260 fails to stand up to the OPTIMIZATION). Can we tame chickens yet, and OMFG seriously you can avoid getting hit by the bear by being on his back???? WHO GETS THAT CLOSE?

Sounds a lot to me like the toolbar and backpack are being handled separately. One affects mobility, the other doesn't.

Since he said "but not for specialized purposes" and the toolbelt IS separate storage for specialized purposes I was assuming he really only talked about the backpack.

But with a different definition of "specialized purposes" anything is possible. :fat:

Archived