Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that most people close in to hit zombies more than is needful. Just as you can open cupboards from weird distances you can also hit zombies from farther away than you think (unless you are already in the habit of hitting them from the outside edge of your range)

I have found that I am getting better at hitting them from a greater distance rather than getting right up in their grill because now I have to do it if I want to avoid their hits. It’s taken some adaptation but I am almost back to my previous level of being able melee without getting hit.

In A16 being able to sprint backwards meant you could be pretty sloppy with your attack range and still avoid being hit. In A17 you need to be more precise or pay the consequences.

I find that the best way to learn how to fight is to simply get on with it. Fighting zombies with whatever you have on hand or with nothing at all but your bare hands. I have learned a lot doing that and am doing so well that I don't even use the kite method anymore.

How to hit and were to hit and when. To me it's an art.

It also helps me level up quicker to.

About Zombies respawning "bug"

Hello everyone, this is my first post here but I read this forum a lot. Watching madmole's last videos I came up with an idea for "fixing" the respawning bug. I'll try to explain it as best as I can since English is not my first language.

1- The game saves the DateTime when a POI is activated. (I think that's ocurrs when a player enter to the POI area, right?)

2- The POI gets a random ID and every zombie belonging to that POI gets the same POI ID.

3- When you get out from the POI zone, you have X time until the zombies are respawned (it can be even an option to be modded).

This way, if you, by any reason, had to get out from a POI and there are zombies with that POI's ID still alive and the MaxTimeUntilRespawn (nice var name) hasn't been reached yet, then the zombies doesn't respawn.

Sorry if I'm not being myself clear, or if this sounds like a really bad idea, not sure how it could affect the game performance wise, just throwing my two cents!

LOL 1up'd nice one! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I hope everyone is doing well today/tonight. What craziness is everyone up to in their games as they countdown to 17? Any last minute crazy things people are trying to do?

I just started a new world. I settled down in a spot that is far from the traders and towns. Don't have a minibike yet, so I'm spending a lot of time just trying to move around and find interesting things in the wilderness. I did one loot run to a town that took half the day to get there. I ended up being out after dark unintentionally, and that was an adventure.

now i can understand, probably an old translation

years ago when i had to use google translator more often i got very odd translation most of the time

I remembered most of the name and found the book.

http://sdcc.vn/template/997_Brand_Failures_-_The_Truth_About_the_100_Biggest_Branding_Mistakes_of_All_Time.pdf

Its a good read, but don't read it while drinking.:smile-new:

No more paper, no more books, only need Google to look up books.

Alpha 17 B120 Status Update Meeting 31st August 2018

Madmole: Is everyone here?

Roland: Brains is gonna be late cause his cat is ill

Fataal : Brains has a cat?

Roland: he has 2, they are really cute, Bobby and Gizmo

Madmole: ..........

Madmole: So besides Brains is everyone here?

Roland: The Fun Pimp is getting coffee, sent his apologies

Madmole: Did you just Accentuate his name, you said it like its in CAPS or something

Roland: The Fun Pimp is awesome

Kinyajuu: Guys I hate to be short but I have a ton of ♥♥♥♥ to do!

Madmole: Ok ok lets get started, so, Alpha 17 status meeting is convened, whats the bug tracker looking like?

All attendees: <scuffing of shoes, downcast eyes, sideways glances>

Madmole: What the ♥♥♥♥ guys, cmon, I have thousands of those bastards riding my arse on the forums every day, its been a frikkin year, tell me its ok for the weekend so i can at least SLEEP without dreaming of some bastard telling me how ♥♥♥♥ I am at my own game!

Fataal: Its looking good MM, we are down to 50 critical bugs!

Brains: <enters>Hi everyone, sorry, cats are sick

Madmole: <to Fataal> I though you said we had 30 the last time we met? <checks notes from Mondays meeting> What the actual ♥♥♥♥ Fataal you DID say 30, how did we get from 30 TO 50, thats not good we are going backwards! I cant post that ♥♥♥♥ they will eat me alive!!

Roland: <Whispers>Didn't you tell him Brains?

Brains: ...

Madmole: Brains?, Brains!! tell me what!?!?!

Brains: Well....its the trees MM..

Madmole: ? what about them, we finished the trees 2 months ago, i remember it, I did a video showing how awesome the trees were, people liked it, they were stoked, the trees are ♥♥♥♥ING DONE MAN!

Brains: hmm yeah, well, you know how you said you wanted the new shaders since we changed engines ..

Roland: ..twice...

Brains: Roland seriously stfu man i am telling him!

Madmole: Telling 'him' what?

Brains: Well, it was a little more complicated than we thought and it kinda...broke some things..

Fataal: understatement of the year Brains..

Madmole: Will someone for the love of god tell me what went wrong?

Brains: Well some weird ♥♥♥♥ happened and..

The Fun Pimp: HI EVERYONE!, SORRY I'M A BIT LATE BUT ♥♥♥♥ THIS DOUBLE DECAFF HAZLENUT MOCHA IS THE BEST ♥♥♥♥ EVA!

The Fun Pimp: YOU TOLD MM ABOUT THE TREES YET BRAINS?

Brains: Seriously, ♥♥♥♥ you man, I am getting to it!

Roland: Guys, guys chill, I know we are all working crazy hours but no need for all the swearing!

Everyone but Roland: ........................

Madmole: Go on Brains..

Brains: Well have you heard of the cascade effect?

Madmole: I think so yeah, why?

Brains: Well changing the shaders at the same time as we reskinned the baby deer and added those cool bumper stickers to the jeep <Fataal high fives Roland> kinda caused a cascade effect so that every time you hit anything the screen goes black if there are any trees on the screen AND for some reason we dont understand the auger sound plays max volume for about 30 seconds and then..

Madmole: there is a ''and then'' ??????????

Roland: Then the game crashes and causes Windows to take a ♥♥♥♥

The Fun PImp: IT BLUESCREENS WINDOWS MM

Roland: <Gazes raptly at The Fun Pimp>

Kinjayuu: I told you..

Madmole: Told me what?

Kinjayuu: You cant change everything multiple times and expect everything to work man, my guys been working 20 hours a day for months trying to fix stuff and every time we get to a semi stable state you add more ♥♥♥♥ in!!

Roland: The bumper stickers are cool man!

Fataal: If i was cynical I would say you only fought for that change because Kinjayuu vetoed your ziplines and you knew it was gonna screw him up man

Roland: <looks smug>

Madmole: Ok ok enough, how long will it take to fix the bugs you mentioned Fataal?

Fataal: Weeellllll..IF we roll back the bumper stickers AND the 43rd reskin on the deer we are back to where we were in June and that was about 4 weeks from experimental

Madmole: I need experimental this weekend for those whiny streamers, you wouldnt beleive the IM's I am getting ''Oh my audience need to see this, where is my exclusive access build!, you're costing me money man!'' If i could take back the whole streaming ♥♥♥♥storm I seriously would but no way i am doing a 180 after all the ♥♥♥♥ I took over that !

Madmole: Whose idea was the streaming thing anyway?

Brains: I seem to recall Roland was a huge fan of it...

Roland: W..T..F.. Brains!

The Fun Pimp: IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY YOU CAN SEE THE COOL LITTLE PATTERNS THEY MADE IN MY MOCHA, LOOK FATAAL<,NEAT ISNT IT!

Madmole: I need experimental for the streamers by Friday, whats it gonna take?

Kinjayuu: If we release it on Friday its gonna be total arse and people will shout and scream its unfinished buggy garbage!

Everyone but Kinjayuu: <rolling about laughing>

Roland: How long you been here Kin?

Kinjayuu: I dont get it, why is everyone laughing?

Madmole: man we ALWAYS put out unfinished buggy garbage for the first iteration, its how we get some payback on those entitled little ♥♥♥♥ers on the forum, we bathe in their salty tears of frustration for a week or two then give them most of the fixes to stop the noise but, trust me, its worth it for the angst ''Oh noes i spent 2 days on my base and then a dog bit it and it fell down, fix this ♥♥♥♥!!''..♥♥♥♥ing priceless man, trust me, after a while you need the release

Fataal: Soooo..you want me to use chewing gum, sticking plaster and bodges to get it out by friday...even if its bollocks?

Madmole: Make it so my man, make it so!

Roland: Can i still get the bumper stickers?

Madmole: Good meeting! see you all Monday!!

faatal I am sure this has been asked but I have not seen the final answer.

Are 4 piller bases still zombie proof?

I havent built one in a while but as long as you build 4 blocks off the ground you can build a base that never gets attacked. Has that changed any?

IE

|..............|

|..............|

|..............|

|..............|

I think 4 different people have contributed to stealth code, settings and UI, one of which is not longer at the company. I don't know without looking, because I have not seen what the UI is doing to show it.

Thank you Faatal, I do like the bar indicator though. For me will be helpful for night hunting, I only bring my timid animals out at night.

No. The next game is about jumping higher. Each jump you gain more altitude. At a 1000 jumps you will be in orbit. We then give you a giant plastic sheet so you can collect solar radiation and leave the solar system. If you let the game run for 80 years, you will be in Alpha Centauri. You then use your sheet to parachute onto this lovely earth like planet only to discover it is occupied by millions of zombie dinosaurs. After collecting tree branches and some crystal stuff for 10 minutes, you can build a death ray to destroy the zombies and rid the universe of their evil. You are so happy, but you die in the process, both in the game and of old age.

Is it ready yet? I want to stream it this weekend.... :D

I usually don't have an issue with my stilt bases. Flagstone can be done 7 wide, I have not checked cobblestone because usually I make from flagstone then upgrade. The next level base is concrete with can be 10 wide, ***but*** you have to let the wet cement dry before building out more then 5 or 6 I think. Rebar Frames that you upgrade work too, but be sure to fill them in and don't just try to make rebar all the way across or you will lose your frames to gravity.

I want to say when I'm building bridges that my upgraded rebar went out to 12 before I made another support, but I can't recall right now.

Depends how big it is. Right now they will seek blocks in the general area if you are above them and they can't get to you. Make it big enough and they won't find the supports, but would it collapse at that size? Never tried a huge stilt structure, so don't know if SI would collapse it or not.

Sounds good i dont need the zombies to be civil engineers, i enjoy outsmarting them. But i want to be forced to try new things not just slap up a few posts and be safe.

I thought you mentioned it was something you were looking at doing, glad it worked out.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that most people close in to hit zombies more than is needful. Just as you can open cupboards from weird distances you can also hit zombies from farther away than you think (unless you are already in the habit of hitting them from the outside edge of your range)

I have found that I am getting better at hitting them from a greater distance rather than getting right up in their grill because now I have to do it if I want to avoid their hits. It’s taken some adaptation but I am almost back to my previous level of being able melee without getting hit.

In A16 being able to sprint backwards meant you could be pretty sloppy with your attack range and still avoid being hit. In A17 you need to be more precise or pay the consequences.

No fast back-stepping and zombies that don't stop for hit animation... How does that go with server lag? :)

Archived