Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

This shows a complete lack of understanding what they were talking about. It isn't just RAM usage.

This shows your not understanding of the conversation.

"They were talking.." it was a conversation between me and Gazz, not "they"

"It isn't just RAM usage.." I never said that.

Maybe take the time to actually read the posts.

Actually he didn't. He simply stated "There might not be an A18" He put no qualifier other than "might". Any attempt to read a percentage chance is just making stuff up.

Not entirely accurate. He also used 'probably' to indicate a beta in the place of A18.

I don't think there will be an A18. We'll probably do a beta update and go gold after that. That doesn't mean there won't be some content updates though.

probably

used to mean that something is very likely (Cambridge Dictionary)

Yeah MM said he didn't think that there's going to be an A18. Of course this still leaves open the chance that there will be an A18.

However, we have to trust his word on this. Most likely there won't be an A18.

You do realize that he said experimental would be out in July. Also he said at one point that you can wrench a mine to pick it up. Ie he is not the best at predicting and he can troll like a champ.

Yeah MM said he didn't think that there's going to be an A18. Of course this still leaves open the chance that there will be an A18.

However, we have to trust his word on this. Most likely there won't be an A18.

And he also said A17 is as good as beta if you look at it from the side (paraphrasing here). And this says a lot about the importance such an "A" or "B" has to them. If they want a gyro in the game for example, no "B" will stop them from adding it. It definitely means the end is nearer than it was before but even the "near" is smeared over the surface of a crystal bowl.

Ok, I need to bring this up again because this is a good example how one could be running forward and looking around but technically it would be sidestepping according to the game so it would stop running....???...

This just doesn't make sense!

I think this change is definitely something we have to test and try out before we judge.

Because jumping is more fun. Only jumping and sleeping in A17. If you jump a thousand times, we give you a shovel, so you can dig to the center of the Earth. Once there the planet explodes and game over. The best end game content ever.

Yes, finally. TFP makes the right business decision and attacks the cookie clicker market instead of this voxel builder zombie niche. All you top notch business advisors here in the forum will be proud of TFP :smile-new:

I will affect performance a lot to the point where an 1080ti will be struggling to keep 10 fps. The main limiting factor would be the CPU bottleneck as this is a voxel based game, so unless you have a Threadripper with 16+ cores the impact will be massive. And this IF the game supports that level of multi-threading being capable of using more than 4-8 threads in an efficient way.

It is just a number theoretically, but it can lead to various threads crashing, desync and pathfinding issues.

The threadripper would not help. I have the 16 core one and a 1080. I have to run the threadripper in game mode (turns off half the cores) to get better FPS with 7 days.

The first generation 12-core 1920X Threadripper is on sale at newegg for $549 right now which is a hell of a deal.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 18 121 Points

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

My I7 4790k got 11 182 points.

the maximum is currently 28 860

Means i will update as soon as there is a 33 000 Point Cpu for less than 500€. Until then i can ignore the CPU market.

for 500€ i expect at least three times the performance of my current one

(btw my I7 4790k is still on place 13 at single core performance)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

This shows your not understanding of the conversation.

"They were talking.." it was a conversation between me and Gazz, not "they"

"It isn't just RAM usage.." I never said that.

Maybe take the time to actually read the posts.

You have argued for 2 and half days that the developer knows less than you on what is causing FPS drops. Every post you make only talks about what is being rendered and ignores everything else that could cause the FPS drops. And, YES, in the post I replied to, you acted like the only thing loading more chunks would cause was RAM usage. I read just fine and have read almost the entire thread. Gazz, and at least a couple of others, have explained it pretty well. At least twice each as far as I recall.

Also, you are posting on a public forum so, no it isn't just a conversation between you and Gazz.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, yes. They are not famous for respecting their own predictions ;)

Or it could be they understand the difference between prediction and promise.

Well, yes. They are not famous for respecting their own predictions ;)

What predictions? This is why there's a "its done when its done".

There's hopes, there's wanting, there's even a small chance.. but no prediction, no promise, no vow.. nothing definitive. C'mon... this was discussed at the beginning of the month.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 18 121 Points

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

My I7 4790k got 11 182 points.

the maximum is currently 28 860

Means i will update as soon as there is a 33 000 Point Cpu for less than 500€. Until then i can ignore the CPU market.

for 500€ i expect at least three times the performance of my current one

Passmark scores are too bland with no meaningful numbers, take a look here for a good comparison on various levels. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-TR-1920X/2384vs3934

Multiple people have asked this, so I've taken the liberty of updating the list to hopefully explain it less ambiguously. :)

• Running only increases speed when moving forwards. Player can still walk backwards, but not run. 8/26/18

But can you run while strafing?

Passmark scores are too bland with no meaningful numbers, take a look here for a good comparison on various levels. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-TR-1920X/2384vs3934

Finally after many many hours of analyzing benchmarks i came 2014 to the conclusion that the universal single number of benchmark is surely no real statement how something will behave in a special situation/purpose.

But the single number is good enough for a rough oversight. Specialy because my tests showed that a 100% higher number is around 100% more performance

Oh man so excited. When it goes RC can we download it in Steam, or is it only later that we can do that?

Here is the plan in the future. Pimps are ready (not now, when really ready) with RC which is gonna given to the stremers. They do their job and if there is no game stopping bugs we get experimental where we opt-out it in Steam and play or test and report so more bugs are fixed. Stable - when ready.

P.S. when ready goes for RC, too :)

You have argued for 2 and half days that the developer knows less than you on what is causing FPS drops.

• I never said that about any developer
  • The discussion was not about FPS drops. Originally it was about firearms range in relation to chunks loaded and later about FPS and overall performance based on chunks loaded. Never about FPS drops.

Get your facts straight.

Every post you make only talks about what is being rendered and ignores everything else that could cause the FPS drops.
I made one post that could be interpreted this way (despite this not being my position) and I understand now that maybe it needed some clarification. However in the next post I agreed with Gazz on the exact opposite you just said. So again, maybe actually read the posts.

And, YES, in the post I replied to, you acted like the only thing loading more chunks would cause was RAM usage.
No, maybe read it again slowly so you can understand it. I never said or acted like an increase in RAM usage was the only consequence. Sure enough I was talking about RAM only because Gazz mentioned it first in his previous post.

I read just fine and have read almost the entire thread.

Doesn't seem like so.

Also, you are posting on a public forum so, no it isn't just a conversation between you and Gazz.

Still, the use of the pronoun 'they' was inaccurate in that context.

Or it could be they understand the difference between prediction and promise.

Still, a wrong prediction is wrong. Even if it is not a promise.

Archived