Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

7 hours ago, Roland said:

You mean all eight of you....?

I agree that coming up with a way for all the players on a modified server of 50 players to all look unique would be cool and if TFP has a plan for that then I'm not arguing against it. But I do wonder if people forget that this game officially supports at most eight people when they express dismay about fewer customization options. 

Even with the current system with layered clothing and armor--all with a dye slot for coloring, it seems like most people end up looking pretty samey anyway since there are only a limited number of outer armor sets. The new outfits look 1000% better, eliminate layering (which made everyone's outfit look puffy and bulky), bring the huge amount of mod slots available down to a better balanced amount, come in a much larger variety of sets than we currently have (counting what's viewable once armor is equipped and layers over the clothing beneath), and add bonuses that haven't existed before in clothing.  

Whether the number is small or large, when anyone you see has the same look as you do in every game, it gets stale quickly.  I'm not saying that the current system offers a great variety either, though.  And I have no idea how many armors there will be when all is said and done or if the bonuses on them will be varied enough to get people to use different ones rather than all gravitating toward the best looking two or three.  We'll have to see.  I don't at all disagree that the new armors look great (even ones I don't personally like or would ever use).  But I am still concerned about losing customization choices.  I like picking a look without caring what the bonuses are.  Although it's true that the hot/cold stats don't currently really matter at all and that lets me wear any clothing items that I want without caring about those stats, it still is nice to have that option to just wear what looks good.  This is why I said having the option to change the look of armor without losing the stats of the armor is a great option that many games offer and would be nice to at least consider here.

Since you guys have seen/guessed most of them, here is the current list of Armors for A22.
As always, this list is still WIP and/or subject to change.
Armors previously shown that are NOT listed below, may or may not be used in a future update.

Primitive Outfit - Replacement for legacy plant fiber clothing. Adds some protection, but no buffs or bonuses.

Light Armors - No movement penalties like legacy padded armor

1. Lumberjack
  2. Preacher
  3. Rogue
  4. Athletic
  5. Enforcer

Medium Armors - Replacements for legacy "Light Armor" such as leather and military

1. Farmer
  2. Biker
  3. Scavenger
  4. Ranger
  5. Commando
  6. Assassin

Heavy Armors - Replacements for legacy "Heavy Armor" such as scrap, iron, and steel

1. Miner
  2. Nomad
  3. Nerd
  4. Raider
Edited by schwanz9000 (see edit history)

Rouge and preacher are new but marauder, horder and desert arent coming in 22! Hopefully 23! I don't want too see it scrapped. 

Unless Rouge Is desert gear cuz it fits that theme.

I think my favorite is biker! It's not overlord but it's OK enough.  

But I can't wait to have the zombies!!! See the light with preacher armor

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, schwanz9000 said:

Ah dang it! I curse you "self diagnosed mild dyslexia combined with a lack of spelling and typing skills"!
Rogue vs Rouge gets me every time!

Need to add an easter egg now that when you add a red dye to those pieces the name changes to Rouge 😁

3 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

Since you guys have seen/guessed most of them, here is the current list of Armors for A22.
Armors previously shown that are NOT listed below, may or may not be used in a future update.

Primitive Outfit - Replacement for legacy plant fiber clothing. Adds some protection, but no buffs or bonuses.

1. Lumberjack
  2. Preacher
  3. Rogue
  4. Athletic
  5. Enforcer

Medium Armors - Replacements for legacy "Light Armor" such as leather and military

1. Farmer
  2. Biker
  3. Scavenger
  4. Ranger
  5. Commando
  6. Assassin

Heavy Armors - Replacements for legacy "Heavy Armor" such as scrap, iron, and steel

1. Miner
  2. Nomad
  3. Nerd
  4. Raider

That's a decent number to start with.  The next question is how does progression work?  Is there any?  I mean, obviously few will stick to primitive, so there is technically progression from there.  But a lot of people stuck to padded armor and/or light armor because they didn't want movement penalties, etc.  So since we don't have multiple tiers anymore for armor within each type of armor, will there be progression?  Or will you just pick the armor type you want (light, medium, heavy) and once you find/craft/buy the stuff, you'll never upgrade since there aren't any upgrades?  It sounds like we're losing progression with the new armor system as well as customization.

Will it even be worth caring about finding armor since you will probably just want a specific armor set and without any upgrading or real variation in what you wear, you just sell everything else?  I guess some people might do a bit of mixing of armor but I'm not sure how many of those will look good mixed.  Assassin chest/pants armor with farmer head armor?  Sounds a bit weird to me.  Some will like odd combos but I think most will end up just sticking to a single set because most will start to look weird when combined.

I do really like the looks of the new armor.  I just am very concerned about feeling railroaded into a single armor for the entire game based on whichever armor you think looks good.  I mean, yes, the current system has very little change throughout the game, but I do start out in light armor until stamina goes up and then switch to heavy armor and I always find the scrap armor first and then it's hit or miss whether I go through iron armor or jump to steel just depending on what I find.  Add that to changing clothes as I find others that look better and I at least have a little choice.  It seems like with the new armor, I'll end up deciding that the best look for me in heavy armor is something like Raider and then, other than wearing a mix while I work to find the right armor (and at that point, it isn't really choice and is just RNG), I'll never wear anything else but that set in every game I play from as soon as I can get that set.  No upgrades.  No variation at all.  I hope I am wrong.

If we had a few times this number of armors and there were upgraded tiers and enough overlap where if you like a few different armors, no one armor is better than others for your playstyle and you could choose different ones (even from a limited number of armors that fit that preference) for different playthroughs without feeling like you're worse off, then it would be good.  Or, as I mentioned previously, if we have a way to change the look of the armor without changing the armor itself, that would be best.  You could wear something like Raider armor and decide you want to look like you have on Lumberjack armor for the aesthetics of it without losing the armor/bonus of Raider.  That would make this new armor system much better, imo.  Then you'd at least have choices without that sense of being railroaded that I think we're going to see with this new armor system.  I don't see any downside to changing the look and it would add so much to the armor system.  I hope it's considered.  It can't be too much work to add in that kind of thing since it's really just a UI thing as you already have the art and animation and everything already fits on the characters.  It could even be something you unlock after a while if you don't want people looking like they have the full set when they're still building out a set of armor.  Maybe unlock it after you complete any full set of armor?

2 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Need to add an easter egg now that when you add a red dye to those pieces the name changes to Rouge 😁

Is this rouge enough? 😆 (courtesy of Diablo 4) 

rouge armor.png

On 3/29/2024 at 4:54 PM, schwanz9000 said:

No. Clothing mods will not show.

I know this sounds like a huge reduction in customization, but you'll just have to trust us that we have a plan and will reveal that plan once it's ready.

We fully understand your concerns. I, Allan, understand your concerns as I'm a player too. I'm on your side. Trust the process.

My sweet press boy cap mod. :( Lol. I was probably the only player who wore it religiously.

21 hours ago, Roland said:

You mean all eight of you....?

I agree that coming up with a way for all the players on a modified server of 50 players to all look unique would be cool and if TFP has a plan for that then I'm not arguing against it. But I do wonder if people forget that this game officially supports at most eight people when they express dismay about fewer customization options. 

Even with the current system with layered clothing and armor--all with a dye slot for coloring, it seems like most people end up looking pretty samey anyway since there are only a limited number of outer armor sets. The new outfits look 1000% better, eliminate layering (which made everyone's outfit look puffy and bulky), bring the huge amount of mod slots available down to a better balanced amount, come in a much larger variety of sets than we currently have (counting what's viewable once armor is equipped and layers over the clothing beneath), and add bonuses that haven't existed before in clothing.  

Speaking of dyes - will the new armor support dyes? I hope so, it's an easy way to make your character more unique.

10 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

1. Lumberjack
  2. Preacher
  3. Rogue
  4. Athletic
  5. Enforcer

1. Farmer
  2. Biker
  3. Scavenger
  4. Ranger
  5. Commando
  6. Assassin

1. Miner
  2. Nomad
  3. Nerd
  4. Raider

Kind of surpised the hoarder armour isn't on here given how early it was spoiled, but I get how it might be delayed if it involved backpack mechanic changes.

Also I would have guessed that farmer would be light (shirt & overalls) and lumberjack medium (layers for cold and puffy coat might take some hits). Not a complaint, just an interesting observation. I assume there's a set-based or mechanical reason for the classification.

I agree with @Riamus in hoping we'll still see some mods which change the appearance of armour items the way the current hat mods like the press boy, ball cap, cowboy hat etc. do. I also agree with @khzmusik in hoping there will be dye support. After all, we can dye weapons (even if most of us never bother to do so), so it seems logical for that to continue.

One more question I have is what will the needle and thread perk book series unlock in the future? With only 7 books, will each book unlock multiple armour types? Will they instead unlock armour mods, with the armours only found through looting or bought from traders? In fact that brings up the whole question of how much access to armour will we have through the crafting bench? And will armour still have quality?

11 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

I think primitive should have some benefits that cover some of the weaknesses of early game, maybe lower stam usage and higher stealth, very low armour otherwise.
You would naturally want to transition to armour that helps you fight enemies anyway but you wouldnt try do that till you have a good food source and the stealth boost opens a more passive, sneaky and cowardly playstyle for the first few days till you have your @%$# together and can crack some skulls and get good loot.

Posted (edited)

We’ve done another round of cleanup, moving off topic posts to the overflow thread. We’re glad people are (also) excited about the 7 Days: Blood Moons game recently shown at PAX. But as a reminder, that will be a separate product, and this is the A22 dev diary thread. At least for now, discussion about Blood Moons should go in the General Discussion forum.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Is this rouge enough? 😆 (courtesy of Diablo 4) 

rouge armor.png

That is quite the rouge rogue there. In all honesty though he looks like he could be an ancient ancestor of Tape Face from AGT.

So I noticed that it said that the console version and the PC version will have the same features. But I'm wondering if the console version will have prefab editor. The same customization option for characters and most importantly the auction to play with mods?

I know two of those are probably more likely but I'm really hoping that the third one is too. I know Butthesda is a bigger company but they've shown that it's possible to be able to play a game with mods 

8 hours ago, Dsmcr526 said:

So I noticed that it said that the console version and the PC version will have the same features. But I'm wondering if the console version will have prefab editor. The same customization option for characters and most importantly the auction to play with mods?

I know two of those are probably more likely but I'm really hoping that the third one is too. I know Butthesda is a bigger company but they've shown that it's possible to be able to play a game with mods 

TFP has always supported modding, and plans to have official mod support when the game is finalized. Though Steam Workshop does not support it, I could see where they use something like CurseForge in a fashion similar to how it is done with Ark Survival Ascended. That would allow a unified source for mods that function on all platforms.

On 3/31/2024 at 1:00 PM, schwanz9000 said:

1. Lumberjack
  2. Preacher
  3. Rogue
  4. Athletic
  5. Enforcer

1. Farmer
  2. Biker
  3. Scavenger
  4. Ranger
  5. Commando
  6. Assassin

1. Miner
  2. Nomad
  3. Nerd
  4. Raider

<sigh> old armors were better

1. More realistic

2. easy to know what is better ( steel better that iron)

3. old armors didn't sounded like made for diablo or titan quest but for normal post apo game xd

15 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

<sigh> old armors were better

1. More realistic

2. easy to know what is better ( steel better that iron)

3. old armors didn't sounded like made for diablo or titan quest but for normal post apo game xd

2. sounds like a disadvantage to me 😉

40 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

TFP has always supported modding, and plans to have official mod support when the game is finalized. Though Steam Workshop does not support it, I could see where they use something like CurseForge in a fashion similar to how it is done with Ark Survival Ascended. That would allow a unified source for mods that function on all platforms.

Thought it had been said that mods wouldn't work on console versions?

18 minutes ago, meganoth said:

2. sounds like a disadvantage to me 😉

at first TFP didn't wanted guns variants to make it simpler while many people were asking for it : junk MG --> AK--> tactical ---> M60

but Okay : armors was in this same style too so it was simple ok. Not best but acctable because many games about survival have this same logic.

then add variants of armor not tier based which you can't easy say which is better : is better preacher or lumberjack? idk either

So totaly 180* change of logic. So now it would have sense to remove tiers from weapons and add more variants of them

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

Thought it had been said that mods wouldn't work on console versions?

When it first releases they will not. Cross-platform play won't exist either, and the max number of players will still be limited to four like it is in the TellTale version.

However later cross-platform play is planned to be supported, as well as making the same supported 8-player count as it is on the PC. I cannot imagine not supporting mods on the Console editions once they are 1:1 with the PC version. Though initially it may be limited to xml mods on PC hosts or dedicated servers.

We won't know for sure until information is given. I speculate that mods will be supported on the Console edition the same as they are on the PC version. The difference is that you cannot just freely edit the files on consoles like you can on PC, so there will need to be a method configured for that. Since such a method has already been planned for the PC version since the Kickstarter, I cannot see why they would not work to find a method that benefits all platforms instead of just Steam.

OMG THEY SAID WATER JARS ARE COMING BACK!!!! Roland told me! I swear he did! 101% no cap, no lie, all truth, definitely a war crime! 

April fools! 

No but for real fun Pimps why you gotta bait me with that athlete armor saying "fill me up"

16 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

I think primitive should have some benefits that cover some of the weaknesses of early game, maybe lower stam usage and higher stealth, very low armour otherwise.

I think the primitives should overcome some sort of penalty for not wearing any clothing in that spot. Maybe there's a greater chance of infection if you're not wearing at least primitive clothing on the body part that got hit?

No shoes? For persons who haven't trained up for it, going without shoes outdoors is usually painful. The game could slow movement a little.