Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

1 hour ago, FramFramson said:

Helmet lamp, still the most useful mod item in the whole game.

I must admit, as you wrote "helmet lamp" I saw the one on my desk and imagined it ducktaped on my head in a moment of apocalypse 😄 

And mine looks like this, in The Fun Pimps style, it would look brilliant. 

Spoiler

23da20b4-a552-43e6-adb9-603b6fcaddf7_1.6

9 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

I got my hands on the Alpha 22 experimental build TFP was showing off on consoles at Paxeast.  I found something in my playthrough that hasn't  been announced in the alpha 22 dev diary yet. 😅 not sure if I'm allowed to spill and I also don't want to steal TFP's thunder.

@Roland 

If they wanted it announced they would have announced it  

On 3/25/2024 at 7:38 AM, POCKET951 said:

I got my hands on the Alpha 22 experimental build TFP was showing off on consoles at Paxeast.  I found something in my playthrough that hasn't  been announced in the alpha 22 dev diary yet. 😅 not sure if I'm allowed to spill and I also don't want to steal TFP's thunder.

@Roland 

Oh cool, did you get a chance to talk with Allan or anyone else?  I was helping on the bloodmoons side and didn't get a chance to chit chat too long with many fans.  

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

9 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

It played really well. Most of the controls were intuitive and although controller will never be as efficent as mouse and keyboard it functions well. The way item lock is currently set isn't that intuitive though. You tilt the right joystick left or right to adjust it and that isn't mentioned anywhere on the screen. Hopefully they will change that. The new armor set stuff is really cool. You will still be able to use cigars and nerdy goggles to. They are being converted to helmet slot mods and will no longer be things you equip.

How did the armor system work was it 5 parts? 4? 6? 

Did you find new armors 

Did you find sky scrappers on the console demo? 

And what new zombie cloths have you seen so far. Like anything special 

4 hours ago, stallionsden said:

If they wanted it announced they would have announced it  

Yes annouce it!!! 

10 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

From what I was told each  skill tree will have its own unique helmet mod. Int will have the glasses, str will have the cigar. So I don't know what kind of progression these helmet mods will be locked behind

7 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Helmet lamp, still the most useful mod item in the whole game.

This is a very good point.  I wonder how many mods you can have on your helmet.  The light is mandatory for me, so that limits what else I could include.  And unless the mods are based on position (eyes, mouth, forehead), then they might only allow one mod for the helmet, which eliminates adding anything else (or at best, swapping over and over whenever you go to the trader and want to use the cigar, or swapping whenever you're not in dark spaces so you can get the experience bonus from nerd glasses, etc... and swapping all the time is an annoying requirement).  If they allow mods based on position, so one pair of glasses, one thing for mouth (currently only cigar, I believe, unless they consider the water purifier a mouth mod), one thing for forehead (only headlight, I believe, unless they consider the water purifier a forehead mod), then it could work but would feel strange, I think.

4 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Oh cool, did you get a chance to talk with Allan or anyone else?  I was helping on the bloodmoons side and didn't get a chance to chit chat with too long with many fans.  

Yes. I mentioned to him that I had played 2500 hours of 7 days to die prior to playing the demo at Pax and he said he wanted my feedback on the controls.

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

How did the armor system work was it 5 parts? 4? 6? 

Did you find new armors 

Did you find sky scrappers on the console demo? 

And what new zombie cloths have you seen so far. Like anything special 

Yes annouce it!!! 

The new armor system is 4 parts and I was able to find the mining helmet , each slot has a particular bonus and wearing all 4 pieces gives a full set bonus, as for sky scrapers, did not play long enough to find them but there was new Tier 5 Pois( found a higashi mansion) so I assume there will be sky scraper Pois since they are also tier 5

1 hour ago, POCKET951 said:

Yes. I mentioned to him that I had played 2500 hours of 7 days to die prior to playing the demo at Pax and he said he wanted my feedback on the controls.

The new armor system is 4 parts and I was able to find the mining helmet , each slot has a particular bonus and wearing all 4 pieces gives a full set bonus, as for sky scrapers, did not play long enough to find them but there was new Tier 5 Pois( found a higashi mansion) so I assume there will be sky scraper Pois since they are also tier 5

What are the 4 parts? Helmet and... ?

Mainly want to know if pants and chest are still separate, but also if there's more than one chest element the way we have coats. Also if boots or gloves are actually part of the armour set or not.

Just now, POCKET951 said:

yes technically I guess its more body armor than chest

Righto, thanks for the update.

Was hoping the body would still be two pieces (top & legs) for more customization, but I guess we'll see how all the sets turn out in the end. With recent hints, it seems like there may be a fair number more sets coming than we expected.

7 hours ago, Riamus said:

This is a very good point.  I wonder how many mods you can have on your helmet.  The light is mandatory for me, so that limits what else I could include.  And unless the mods are based on position (eyes, mouth, forehead), then they might only allow one mod for the helmet, which eliminates adding anything else (or at best, swapping over and over whenever you go to the trader and want to use the cigar, or swapping whenever you're not in dark spaces so you can get the experience bonus from nerd glasses, etc... and swapping all the time is an annoying requirement).  If they allow mods based on position, so one pair of glasses, one thing for mouth (currently only cigar, I believe, unless they consider the water purifier a mouth mod), one thing for forehead (only headlight, I believe, unless they consider the water purifier a forehead mod), then it could work but would feel strange, I think.

If we assume the mod system did not change then you should be able to insert up to 4 mods in each armor piece, 16 total. I don't see a reason for them removing quality and the variable mods slots.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

If we assume the mod system did not change then you should be able to insert up to 4 mods in each armor piece, 16 total. I don't see a reason for them removing quality and the variable mods slots.

I do wonder if the mods you unlock from investing in each stat are all part of the same mod group and are not stackable (like you cant put a large and a small gas tank on an augur for example, or the +2 and +1 armor plates on the same piece)

I.e you can only wear a cigar or only wear nerdy glasses but not both at the same time because they are in the same mod group

8 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're the gentleman that was accompanied by a Party Girl on Sunday?

I also remember the "thing" you found too. Something pink perhaps? :D

Let the folks here stew on it a while and see if anyone can guess what it was. 😛

1 hour ago, POCKET951 said:

I do wonder if the mods you unlock from investing in each stat are all part of the same mod group and are not stackable (like you cant put a large and a small gas tank on an augur for example, or the +2 and +1 armor plates on the same piece)

I.e you can only wear a cigar or only wear nerdy glasses but not both at the same time because they are in the same mod group

I haven't added any restrictions to the Cigar + Attribute Mods...yet. We'll see how testing goes.

Attribute Mods can only be installed into headgear, so no stacking issues there with other armor pieces.

You cannot have more than one Attribute Mod installed on a headgear at the same time.

image.png.92f9a4d9dc5cc8a18129d8e9b7b7b36b.png

Edited by schwanz9000 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, schwanz9000 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're the gentleman that was accompanied by a Party Girl on Sunday?

I also remember the "thing" you found too. Something pink perhaps? :D

Let the folks here stew on it a while and see if anyone can guess what it was. 😛

Yes that was me 😃 and yes it was pink and boxy

also the party girl is this streamer: https://www.twitch.tv/glitterpixi3/clip/KathishBlightedHorseradishUncleNox-ydgoz40bZiar3mIA?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time 

Edited by POCKET951 (see edit history)

So, given this new information that armor sets will have the set bonuses, is mixing and matching armor pieces going to be worthwhile? I don't really like the thought of using a full set always being better then using a mix, is there some overlap? Will there be some additional considerations to armor choice? I just think these small decisions in games (like deciding between say- a chestpiece that has 50 defense vs one that has 30, but resists a status effect), are fun. I'm worried set bonuses would have an impact on variety/choice. Main concern is needing to carry around armor sets for various tasks due to the set bonuses likely being highly impactful. Could be wrong though, this is merely speculation since I haven't played myself. I just hope it turns out to be fun.

Based on some videos I've seen, lighting looks better. The new zombie albedo variants look pretty good.

It's nice to see gloves on the character's hands. New block placing animation by the looks of it.

Looks like there are 4 armor pieces, head, gloves, pants, feet. Doesn't look like there's any others. The armor pieces still have quality. Not sure what this means for the temperature system, but it looks like none of the old clothing items are returning? That's only an assumption based on what I've seen, since there dont appear to be other slots.

Saw an item called an "armor crafting kit" from another stream's videos. I assume you might require that to make armors.

I also saw a youtube video from pax that had the "legendary parts" in a crafting recipe. Honestly, not sure how I feel about that.

I really hope they make it so the yellow lines on the roads aren't solid objects anymore. It's been like that for a while.

Also, seems a bit weird to me that a cigar is a mod, not like, a seperate slot for an accessory. Not a big deal though.

Not sure if I'm allowed to put in photos of the video I saw from pax so I'll hold off on that for now.

Edited by User (see edit history)

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

Yes, but the change to having glasses and such as helmet mods would mean that without a restriction, you could wear multiple pairs of glasses, which makes no sense.

5 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

Yep, that is what I was wondering.

4 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

I haven't added any restrictions to the Cigar + Attribute Mods...yet. We'll see how testing goes.

Attribute Mods can only be installed into headgear, so no stacking issues there with other armor pieces.

You cannot have more than one Attribute Mod installed on a headgear at the same time.

image.png.92f9a4d9dc5cc8a18129d8e9b7b7b36b.png

Ok, thank you for that answer.  It clarifies that there is a restriction that prevents more than one mod in a category (attribute modifier mod) from stacking.  That probably would be enough, I think.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of other mods that shouldn't stack.  All glasses are attribute modifier mods, so those are covered.  We can use both cigar and glasses, so that is good.  It sounds good to me.

Hello, I just wanted to ask about the decision to divide the armor into 4 pieces instead of 5. My question is, why would it offer more flexibility to have the pants separated from the upper pieces in the new models? Thank you.

40 minutes ago, User said:

So, given this new information that armor sets will have the set bonuses, is mixing and matching armor pieces going to be worthwhile? I don't really like the thought of using a full set always being better then using a mix, is there some overlap? Will there be some additional considerations to armor choice? I just think these small decisions in games (like deciding between say- a chestpiece that has 50 defense vs one that has 30, but resists a status effect), are fun. I'm worried set bonuses would have an impact on variety/choice. Main concern is needing to carry around armor sets for various tasks due to the set bonuses likely being highly impactful. Could be wrong though, this is merely speculation since I haven't played myself. I just hope it turns out to be fun.

Based on some videos I've seen, lighting looks better. The new zombie albedo variants look pretty good.

It's nice to see gloves on the character's hands. New block placing animation by the looks of it.

Looks like there are 4 armor pieces, head, gloves, pants, feet. Doesn't look like there's any others. The armor pieces still have quality. Not sure what this means for the temperature system, but it looks like none of the old clothing items are returning? That's only an assumption based on what I've seen, since there dont appear to be other slots.

Saw an item called an "armor crafting kit" from another stream's videos. I assume you might require that to make armors.

I'm still kind of hoping for less dungeon style poi's, in all honesty. Empty ones with an open layout were always atmospheric to me in the old versions. Not like they didnt have main loot, but they didnt have a chest at the end, and one correct path.

I also saw a youtube video from pax that had the "legendary parts" in a crafting recipe. Honestly, not sure how I feel about that.

I really hope they make it so the yellow lines on the roads aren't solid objects anymore. It's been like that for a while.

Also, seems a bit weird to me that a cigar is a mod, not like, a seperate slot for an accessory. Not a big deal though.

Not sure if I'm allowed to put in photos of the video I saw from pax so I'll hold off on that for now.

Regarding armor sets, I am wondering this as well.  If the armor doesn't have any stats beyond what we have now, there is little reason to mix and match and give up on the set bonus.  They would need useful stats on each piece that would give you a reason to choose to mix up the armor in order to get a mix of stats at the cost of losing the set bonus.  But I have a feeling that won't happen.  Which means everyone is going to start looking identical... not a good thing.

The road decals (the yellow and white lines) are confirmed to not be blocks, so you will be able to build on to of them in A22.

53 minutes ago, Riamus said:

The road decals (the yellow and white lines) are confirmed to not be blocks, so you will be able to build on to of them in A22.

They are still shapes but have a property that allows blocks to placed over them.