New YouTube Policy and 7 Days to Die

Gamida

This may be a little long, maybe TL:DR for some but it has me curious.

I was wondering about how the new Youtube policy is going to affect 7 Days To Die.

First thing I will mention in how I feel YT and 7 Days are connected is it is basically how I found out about the game.

Before I had any games or even had steam on my computer I was watching YT vids. I wasn't even watching it that long.

I was watching some videos on Dayz and was thinking it looked ok and was even thinking of getting Arma and the Dayz mod (am pretty sure it was early, before it was standalone)

As I watched more Dayz vids I noticed one of this game called 7 Days To Die. I watched it and had to see more. Watched some more and that was it, I was hooked. I completely forgot

about Dayz (still don't have it to this day). I then downloaded steam, downloaded 7 Days and never looked back. It was actually the only game I had and played for almost a year and a half or more if I recall.

That was how I came to find out about 7 Days and am wondering if that may be how a lot of others came to find out about it too.

Anyway this leads to my question of if YT's new policy will affect 7 Days.

From what I understand from watching youtubers describe it. If there is any swearing withing the first 8 to 15 seconds of a video it will be demonetized.

Ok well that is easy to fix. Just don't swear at that time or even at all in your vid.

But according to what I had recently seen in a video by MoistCritical. You can get demonetized just by having anything violent in your video. Not only real stuff but game stuff...even just a pic from what he explained.

A part of it was basically bodily fluids or dismemberment, both of which we know are in the game.

If that has possibility of getting anyone playing 7 Days to have their video demonetized will that mean that players will stop putting them up on youtube.

I know some will say well it won't affect stuff like the streamers weekend as that is on Twitch. The thing is like I said at beginning I saw the game on YT and I feel (just my opinion) that a lot of others may have also.

I know you can watch VOD's on Twitch but do people. I, again just from my experience, have never watched any more than maybe 3 or 4 twitch VOD's myself since I have been on it. 99.999% of my online video watching is on YT.

Before the hate starts, this is not a gloom and doom post about how 7 Days is going to die, I am just curious how other think it will affect how the game is spread.

Told you it was going to be TL:DR :)

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

I was wondering about how the new Youtube policy is going to affect 7 Days To Die.

First thing I will mention in how I feel YT and 7 Days are connected is it is basically how I found out about the game.

Before I had any games or even had steam on my computer I was watching YT vids. I wasn't even watching it that long.

I was watching some videos on Dayz and was thinking it looked ok and was even thinking of getting Arma and the Dayz mod (am pretty sure it was early, before it was standalone)

As I watched more Dayz vids I noticed one of this game called 7 Days To Die. I watched it and had to see more. Watched some more and that was it, I was hooked. I completely forgot

about Dayz (still don't have it to this day). I then downloaded steam, downloaded 7 Days and never looked back. It was actually the only game I had and played for almost a year and a half or more if I recall.

That was how I came to find out about 7 Days and am wondering if that may be how a lot of others came to find out about it too.

From what I understand from watching youtubers describe it. If there is any swearing withing the first 8 to 15 seconds of a video it will be demonetized.

Ok well that is easy to fix. Just don't swear at that time or even at all in your vid.

But according to what I had recently seen in a video by MoistCritical. You can get demonetized just by having anything violent in your video. Not only real stuff but game stuff...even just a pic from what he explained.

A part of it was basically bodily fluids or dismemberment, both of which we know are in the game.

If that has possibility of getting anyone playing 7 Days to have their video demonetized will that mean that players will stop putting them up on youtube.

I know some will say well it won't affect stuff like the streamers weekend as that is on Twitch. The thing is like I said at beginning I saw the game on YT and I feel (just my opinion) that a lot of others may have also.

I know you can watch VOD's on Twitch but do people. I, again just from my experience, have never watched any more than maybe 3 or 4 twitch VOD's myself since I have been on it. 99.999% of my online video watching is on YT.

Before the hate starts, this is not a gloom and doom post about how 7 Days is going to die, I am just curious how other think it will affect how the game is spread.

I think it won't be a big deal.Monetization is not the only way to earn money on Youtube.You can enter into advertising contracts or receive donations from streams or third-party sites such as patreon.I know quite a few large YouTubers who receive a yellow dollar (reduction of monetization) for each video for several years.Just because they swear a lot in the video and don't want to limit themselves.They can also smoke hookah, which YouTube also dislikes.In fact, I'm not sure that the rigidity extends to games.Even so, videos can get an 18+ tag, but in any case it is restricts monetization but does not remove it completely.For some authors, earning money on YouTube is rather a pleasant addition and not a goal, so for them, too, little will change.I think everything will be fine.You will see how many videos on 7D2D are released daily and how many views they collect, this train cannot be stopped!

3 hours ago, Gamida said:

ScrewTube has become pure dictatorship. I can't understand how people keep going to the same lame "places" on the internet, when it's clear they've become jails.

There are some, much more free, alternatives out there. Personally, I like how Rumble is coming up. Has already got a gazillion users, and there's much more freedom.

People should get smart with their choices, and we should always remember that WE (the people) give the power to those "giants", not the other way around. :peace:

14 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

ScrewTube has become pure dictatorship. I can't understand how people keep going to the same lame "places" on the internet, when it's clear they've become jails.

There are some, much more free, alternatives out there. Personally, I like how Rumble. Has already got a gazillion users, and there's much more freedom.

People should get smart with their choices, and we should always remember that WE (the people) give the power to those "giants", not the other way around. :peace:

YouTube also had freedom until the big advertisers came and set the conditions for the videos in which their ads would be displayed.All analogs of YouTube are doomed either to failure or to repeat its fate. ¯ \ _ (ツ) _ / ¯

7 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

YouTube also had freedom until the big advertisers came and set the conditions for the videos in which their ads would be displayed.All analogs of YouTube are doomed either to failure or to repeat its fate. ¯ \ _ (ツ) _ / ¯

No, it won't happen with Rumble: that entire platform was devised precisely for freedom of speech and expression, by people who were fed up with YouTube censorship. But, don't worry, you have the freedom to choose to stay in jail and think it's the Waldorf Astoria. ;) 

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

On 1/4/2023 at 9:38 PM, Gamida said:

Hi, local Youtuber here. The violence in my videos has absolutely never been demonitised for violence in 7DTD. Even in extreme instances. The clips shown in Charlie's videos were from Godslap(I Think) which has like Mortal Kombat hyper violence. This game is no more graphic than Fallout 3/NV or any other survival game really. We MOST LIKELY won't have to worry about demonitisation from violence.

This was an issue that Fallout 4 Creators have at times though, the solution is fairly simple though. Just censor the violence if it's near the start of a video. It's annoying but it's not enough to push anyone off the platform.

20 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

There are some, much more free, alternatives out there. Personally, I like how Rumble is coming up. Has already got a gazillion users, and there's much more freedom.

People should get smart with their choices, and we should always remember that WE (the people) give the power to those "giants", not the other way around. :peace:

ScrewTube is obviously a dictatorship, it is a business. Why would anyone other than the business owners and their investors have control over it? What democratic businesses have you heard of? Youtube has 2.1 Billion. Even accounting for bots and dead accounts youtube wins. Also Rumble is a one of those "we're being silenced for our extremist opinions on youtube, we need to run away and make our own website" type sites. Anyone who values actually having a career would avoid that site like the plague. 

Edited by Crater Creator
flaming, off topic (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Gamida said:

I know you can watch VOD's on Twitch but do people.

I haven't watched Twitch VOD, but I could. I've been thinking of checking out Curiosity Stream but my interest there was based on non-Gaming content. I've no idea if gaming content appears there.

On Twitch, I tend to surf live streams. I think the advantage Twitch has is that I might be able to chat with the streamer. So, I tend to settle on live streams where there's only a couple of people watching the stream. With a live stream I also get to see players travel around the world, which YouTube editors often cut out of their videos. I like to see the worlds in which people are playing.

The advantage YouTube has is that the videos are edited, where as on Twitch often find streams where the streamer is silently managing their inventory for what seems like an eternity. While I like logistics when playing, inventory management is not an awesome spectator sport.

Twitch integration is an interesting appeal, but it takes the right stream. Endless loops of player death are dull. Equally dull is players that either hang out in Safe places or have voting that is so common that you're locked out of being able to spend points. Twitch integration is interesting only when the situation manages to strike a balance of challenge for the player.

Twitch is really nice when scouting out a new game because you can ask questions of the streamer.

22 minutes ago, IzPrebuilt said:

Hi, local Youtuber here. The violence in my videos has absolutely never been demonitised for violence in 7DTD. Even in extreme instances. The clips shown in Charlie's videos were from Godslap(I Think) which has like Mortal Kombat hyper violence. This game is no more graphic than Fallout 3/NV or any other survival game really. We MOST LIKELY won't have to worry about demonitisation from violence.

This was an issue that Fallout 4 Creators have at times though, the solution is fairly simple though. Just censor the violence if it's near the start of a video. It's annoying but it's not enough to push anyone off the platform.

That is what I was talking about though. In the video from MoistCritical it mentions just the fact there are body fluids and dismemberment they were getting demonetized. Also just from violent pics...of a drawing.

And as for censoring the violence if it is near the beginning. Their policy seemed to state it was demonitized for sure if it was near the beginning. If it was anywhere in the video after that then the video COULD me monetized. Not that it wouldn't be demonetized but it could be monetized.

8 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I take it the people you are talking about are the ones making the videos. That may be true.

The reason I go there though to watch videos is that that is where pretty much all the people I like to watch are. I have for moment right now no choice

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, zztong said:

I haven't watched Twitch VOD, but I could. I've been thinking of checking out Curiosity Stream but my interest there was based on non-Gaming content. I've no idea if gaming content appears there.

On Twitch, I tend to surf live streams. I think the advantage Twitch has is that I might be able to chat with the streamer. So, I tend to settle on live streams where there's only a couple of people watching the stream. With a live stream I also get to see players travel around the world, which YouTube editors often cut out of their videos. I like to see the worlds in which people are playing.

The advantage YouTube has is that the videos are edited, where as on Twitch often find streams where the streamer is silently managing their inventory for what seems like an eternity. While I like logistics when playing, inventory management is not an awesome spectator sport.

Twitch integration is an interesting appeal, but it takes the right stream. Endless loops of player death are dull. Equally dull is players that either hang out in Safe places or have voting that is so common that you're locked out of being able to spend points. Twitch integration is interesting only when the situation manages to strike a balance of challenge for the player.

Twitch is really nice when scouting out a new game because you can ask questions of the streamer.

So true. I could watch VOD's but I enjoy the live interaction. Like you mentioned with live unedited stream there could be long bouts of boring "nothing happening and silent streamer."

The streamer, at least for me, has to interact with the chat or it does get boring. Now I know that when they are in situations that require concentration like fighting off zombies or animals, and especially horde night, they may not interact with their chat but during the slower part of game I would expect them to or what is point of streaming and having the chat open. A lot of them even have in there title for you to come in and chat.

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

That is what I was talking about though. In the video from MoistCritical it mentions just the fact there are body fluids and dismemberment they were getting demonetized. Also just from violent pics...of a drawing.

And as for censoring the violence if it is near the beginning. Their policy seemed to state it was demonitized for sure if it was near the beginning. If it was anywhere in the video after that then the video COULD me monetized. Not that it wouldn't be demonetized but it could be monetized.

I take it the people you are talking about are the ones making the videos. That may be true.

The reason I go there though to watch videos is that that is where pretty much all the people I like to watch are. I have for moment right now no choice

Youtube is just getting ridiculous all this censorship will lead to nothing but a negative status on the platform if everyone is forced to create content around being non violent or whatever else what's next if someone plays 7 days and see jen YouTube will flag it as explicit content or harmful lmao.

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

Listen, as much as I like Charlie, he's just using the topic for easy views. These changes happen all the time and everyone screams and cries about some change youtube makes, and then nothing ever comes of it. Godslap is considerably more graphic than 7dtd and was probably rightfully demonetized for being in that video as a result.

But whatever, time will tell if this was just the big youtubers crying wolf about not being able to swear and play violent games or if, like every time this happens, nothing comes from it.

On 1/5/2023 at 2:51 AM, Jost Amman said:

I just visited Rumble and noticed how tiny their website is. Their best videos only have around 300k views... that's literally nothing compared to Youtube (they have videos with 5 billion views). They also lack literally any of the content I'm into. So that website has nothing I want / need. And don't kid yourself into thinking Rumble won't do the same things Google did with Youtube if given the chance. They're all hungry for money and won't stop at nothing to get it. The only reason they're the way they are now is simply because they can't possibly get away with it in their current state.

Yes, Youtube / Google sucks and they're just a corporate / greedy / robotic hypocrite, but unless someone with many billions of dollars can take on the massive risk of challenging Youtube (and probably fail and lose many billions in the process), I think we're all stuck with it for a very long time.

Back on topic, this game has been public and spread around to billions already. Getting more exposure is really not that big of a deal at this point IMO. The only time getting exposure will matter again is when the game goes gold as there are a minority out there that do have patience for things like that. Also, I've always found that this game looks horrible in videos. I don't know if it's just the uploader's video settings or record settings, etc... but it never looks nearly as bad when I play the game myself.

For those who just like watching for entertainment purposes, there will always be videos available no matter the monetization issues presented because fans of the game will play with or without money being made and there's also ways around the issue like making tutorials with zombies disabled so it can be monetized. Also, there's always Twitch if you're ok with living by their schedules or other websites when all else fails.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

On 1/5/2023 at 7:06 PM, ElCabong said:

All the YouTube videos I've seen are done by an idiot that doesn't know what the @%$# he's doing.

Including one by MadMole. He forgot boars are aggressive. Lol

How did that happen? There is a ton of 7 days videos out there from people who know exactly what they are doing. And never forget, that YT is about the views only. Even the most skilled youtuber will do some things that are not optimal to get a video that is more enjoyable for the viewer.

Edited by Crater Creator
quote was edited (see edit history)

On 1/5/2023 at 11:56 AM, IzPrebuilt said:

Listen, as much as I like Charlie, he's just using the topic for easy views. These changes happen all the time and everyone screams and cries about some change youtube makes, and then nothing ever comes of it. Godslap is considerably more graphic than 7dtd and was probably rightfully demonetized for being in that video as a result.

But whatever, time will tell if this was just the big youtubers crying wolf about not being able to swear and play violent games or if, like every time this happens, nothing comes from it.

I mentioned him as his was one that I watched. Am not subscribed to him so not sure how he is. I feel a lot (not saying all) youtubers are looking for views so not sure how that affects how he reports on it. I have also saw other youtubers talking about same thing but haven't watched them as I figured they just went over the same points. And you have mentioned Godslap a few times and I have no idea what that is but it is not just that one that is affected. From what I understand is even pics of violence is getting marked. I think even one person who just said [a swear word] had it happen to them. You are right though we will see what happens when it starts affecting their big name users.

Edited by Crater Creator
bypassing profanity filter (see edit history)

Yes, another radical way to control speech with monetization control ...  

As for YT there's other platforms like Twitch and Rumble to get the word out and speak freely ... esp 7 days to die streams that 99.9 % live streams will use an exclamation or two out of jump scare and fear ... which is natural.

I wonder how they are going to demonetize streamers for Wrong Think ?

All the YouTube videos I've seen are done by an idiot that doesn't know what the @%$# he's doing.

My fave Madmole mistake is when he placed his gyrocopter within shooting distance of his dart traps.   He then turned the dart traps on during horde night, and the dart traps ate his gyro.

Edited by Crater Creator

I forgot boars could jump. That fence didn't save me.... 

Edited by Crater Creator

This did happen to Glock9 for violence.  He had an opening montage for his current series and was demonetized for violence.  The timestamp referred to his opening at the point where he punches Arlene in the face.  They demonetized 3 or 4 of his videos for that.  I guess screwtube doesn't know the difference between violence against women and violence against zombies.  I mean, zombies are people too, right?

2 hours ago, nitnoid said:

This did happen to Glock9 for violence.

Shush. Stop being such a conspiracy nut, that didn't happen. He's just using it for rage bait. Besides, we all know youtube doesn't give specific timestamps on their strikes, so he can't even know what it's actually about.

... Am I doing this right? ... Got under your skin?

Sorry... :)

Nothing to see here, move along! ... :)

On 1/18/2023 at 5:51 AM, nitnoid said:

This did happen to Glock9 for violence.  He had an opening montage for his current series and was demonetized for violence.  The timestamp referred to his opening at the point where he punches Arlene in the face.  They demonetized 3 or 4 of his videos for that.  I guess screwtube doesn't know the difference between violence against women and violence against zombies.  I mean, zombies are people too, right?

You have to understand that most of these things are done by algorithms, and those can be tripped for really weird reasons. Even when they say they have "manually reviewed", they actually have not. I have a single video demonetized in my library. Apparently it has "excessive swearing" in it, as confirmed by YouTube's manual review.

Except, it's a 30 second short, where I've gone over it with a finetooth comb, forward and backward, and there's no excessive swearing in it. There's actually no swearing in it at all (It's extremely rare to ever hear my swear, due to my kids watching them).

But despite this, YouTube in their "manual" review finds excessive swearing, where there 100 % is none, nothing even close to it, no aggressive language, nothing that could remotely be taken or mistaken as rude. Now it was a Shorts video where I happened to get killed by zombies, so if they had said "violence" I could have understood it, though peculiar still as it's just a video game, and death in video games doesn't normally cause any issues.

So knowing WHY a video was demonetized is super hard.

I do think people will have to be more careful with the opening bits of their videos, ensure cleaner language, trying to avoid excessive violence... and hope this whole thing blows over.

What I find more weird though is that "all" swearing/curse words are seen as equally bad. "@%$#" and "crap" is now a curse, which I personally would not consider it.  The worrying bit is that they'll expand the vocabulary of "cursing" even more, making it very hard to actually describe something "This game runs like @%$#" caused demonetization ... so you'd be saying "This games runs sub-optimal below the acceptable range" or something else, which is dumb.

But that's YT! :D

53 minutes ago, Vedui said:

Except, it's a 30 second short, where I've gone over it with a finetooth comb, forward and backward, and there's no excessive swearing in it. There's actually no swearing in it at all (It's extremely rare to ever hear my swear, due to my kids watching them).

But despite this, YouTube in their "manual" review finds excessive swearing, where there 100 % is none, nothing even close to it, no aggressive language, nothing that could remotely be taken or mistaken as rude. Now it was a Shorts video where I happened to get killed by zombies, so if they had said "violence" I could have understood it, though peculiar still as it's just a video game, and death in video games doesn't normally cause any issues.

So knowing WHY a video was demonetized is super hard.

You could check one thing I have seen someone mentioned about a YTer having your problem. It seems that even though there was no swearing in their video the closed caption saw a word wrong. Am not sure of the word now but for an example it would be like if someone said port and the cc thought it was porn. Or the word duck being mistaken for the word...well you know. I can see that happening as I have had cc on sometimes when watching some vids and believe me it is not always right, sometimes not even close. I am guessing that there is not real people reviewing every single video for curse words and that it may somehow be related to how the CC works that some get flagged and then someone will (should) review it.

So TL:DR you should watch your video with CC on and see if it mistakes a word for a naughty one.