Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

6 minutes ago, Pernicious said:

I'm guessing you've never bought a house off the plan: https://www.heritage.com.au/financial-tips/buying-a-home/sunset-clause-in-qld

"When will it be ready?"

"Roughly this date - but if we can sell it at a higher price to someone else, we'll just delay to make it legal"

Insane? Absolutely. Who would sign that? Thousands of people per year.

Likewise, people are putting deposits down for Teslas, with no firm delivery date. In fact, the problem has expanded to all cars: https://www.canstar.com.au/car-insurance/new-car-delivery-time-australia/

You seem to have a very naive view of the world. Even in employment... 25 years ago, I had to do Project Management 101 in my Comp Sci. Degree. There was a joke about "Real Soon Now" being an acceptable time frame to give for when a release would be ready. No, a junior laborer - or even a coder would never get away with such an answer in a unironic way. But a supplier - while having to coach it in more polite terms - does and will get away with this all the time, and it's accepted in the industry - in all industries from software to cars to building.

Two points “Roughly this date is a date”

classroom jokes don’t count unless you enjoy being the subject of a joke. Which you may have fun with that.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

Not the same situation.

When I work on a project at work, I have specific tasks that I can figure out how long they will normally take so I can give more specific time frames.  I know everything I need to do to install that new piece of equipment and get it signed off by safety for use.

When they are working on the next Alpha release, they have a list of features that they wish to include in the next build, but know that every feature they want may not be ready in time.  So what they do is get to a point and decide what features they want to push through to get in the next Alpha build.  At that point, they know what needs to get done and what needs to go to the side for the next Alpha release.

That's why Roland has not listed features for A21 at the very beginning.  More than likely they had a wish list of everything they want to include in A21, but as time progress and issues popped up, items were pushed back to later Alphas.  That is why he is only posting the features that they have committed to releasing in A21.  Once a final decision on what changes / features to include in A21 is when they can start firming up the time to do the remaining work, and when it will be ready to start doing the Developer streams on the various features.

They are using a more dynamic system to determine release dates based on what is ready to go out as a development build (based on what the developers want to release), rather than a fixed date already established and items are shipped out no matter what state they are in.

But the good news is, we can still play A20 while waiting for A21.  Or if you are tired of A20, consider any of those other games you have in your gaming library  as a break from 7D2D until A21 is released.  That is what I am doing currently so I don't feel any frustration if A21 drops next week or end of year or 1st quarter of 2023.

See earlier post from dude whom I forgot. I have zero complaints about it taking time to complete.

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Two points “Roughly this date is a date”

classroom jokes don’t count unless you enjoy being the subject of a joke. Which you may have fun with that.

What about the rest of the points? Just want to ignore that it's pretty normal to not have firm due dates for things?

Mate... I can see this getting down to nit picking and hair splitting fast. What is it you want out of this argument? Someone to admit you're right? A firm date that might or might not be honoured? What would you do if it's vague, like "It will be some time 2023", or if they are more specific, like Q1, 2023 and they miss that date?

As an engineer, I understand that ambiguity doesn't sit well with some people. As a human, part of maturity is knowing what's within our sphere of influence and managing our emotions to allow discomfort with ambiguity not bother us. I can't really give you any advice, and you don't sound like you're in the mindset to accept any offered anyway... But all I can say is that the Devs will release a date when they are ready. And even then, not all promises can be kept. If that makes you uncomfortable, there's little anyone can do for you.

15 minutes ago, Roland said:

It is. I hope you're happier about making it into a Hitler Video than you might be mad at me for poking fun at the argument.

Nah that’s a great video. I have missed the Hitler videos and that Hitler can easily be me at work.

20 minutes ago, Pernicious said:

What about the rest of the points? Just want to ignore that it's pretty normal to not have firm due dates for things?

Mate... I can see this getting down to nit picking and hair splitting fast. What is it you want out of this argument? Someone to admit you're right? A firm date that might or might not be honoured? What would you do if it's vague, like "It will be some time 2023", or if they are more specific, like Q1, 2023 and they miss that date?

As an engineer, I understand that ambiguity doesn't sit well with some people. As a human, part of maturity is knowing what's within our sphere of influence and managing our emotions to allow discomfort with ambiguity not bother us. I can't really give you any advice, and you don't sound like you're in the mindset to accept any offered anyway... But all I can say is that the Devs will release a date when they are ready. And even then, not all promises can be kept. If that makes you uncomfortable, there's little anyone can do for you.

Listen I’m glad your are the apex guy at work and can get away with stuff like that. Overwhelming majority of us cannot. 
Again when it’s done is not an answer and it certainly is a rude or boarder line trolling answer. We all learned when we were children not to speak like that and expect good results.

I do not like the phrase “When it’s done” in the given context.

6 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Listen I’m glad your are the apex guy at work and can get away with stuff like that. Overwhelming majority of us cannot. 
Again when it’s done is not an answer and it certainly is a rude or boarder line trolling answer. We all learned when we were children not to speak like that and expect good results.

I do not like the phrase “When it’s done” in the given context.

LOL. I'm an engineer, nobody reports to me, I can't get away with any more than anyone else. Which is kind of funny, I'm on a product update call right as I type. Caveat at the beginning of the talk "Remember that until you have stock in your hand, you can't promise an availability date for any of these products." So yes, I do "get away" with telling my customers "I'm sorry, I don't have a release date for this product yet". I'm not quite so rude to say it's ready when it's ready, but that's just flippant because this is a game. But in effect, I am saying the same thing.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. My kids don't like seafood based dishes. I've taught them that it's okay to not like it, but they don't have to make a big deal out of it. I guess you missed that lesson as a child?

8 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Not at all. The only one to see contradiction in my posts is you.

Asking if they're going to release more info on the upcoming update is not even in the same ballpark as demanding for a release date. :rolleyes2:

I would say sort of in the same ballpark.

You are asking for info on the game. Info is info.

3 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

im sure many people will like the wires being hidden because i will admit if you have a bunch of stuff using electricity and its all wired in an area well lets say it looks like you could use it as a climbing wall lol

The hopes of ziplines just vanished. 

Wait, electrocuted ziplines, masked as cables ! 

35 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

wait, give him this, I would love to see him zipline on an electric wire. ungrounded. please submit video proof of deed

Between two of us, Roland is as fan of ziplines as much as me, but he was first to talk about it, so .. I will let him show the test version video of that one. 

Mr. R, why are you walking towards me, smiling.

And why is this ducktape in your hand ? 

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

The key word is "demanding". Nice try. :) 

I thought so too.

We could debate back and forth until game is gold so this is my last thoughts on it.

Demanding, asking nicely same thing. You are looking for info that is not released.

25 minutes ago, SuppleZombieKitten said:

It's not really that difficult to figure out since in the first post there is written that wires will be hidden.

Better tell us if the new alpha is coming before or after Christmas? 🤪

I’ll bet the chicken or the egg question keeps you up all night…. 🤣