Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

5 minutes ago, DuHast_Play said:
Good day to all!
Please clarify if there is any news regarding alpha 21? and there is a question.
Will past worlds still be active? Or the saves will fly off after the update? I've been playing for a little over a month just ... thanks in advance

No no news regarding A21. You will not be able to keep the worlds, you will have to start over. That has been the case with every new alpha so far.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

Нет никаких новостей относительно A21. Вы не сможете удержать миры, вам придется начинать заново. Так было с каждой новой альфой до сих пор.

Thank you for your reply! It's sad that the saves will fly off .. my friend and I rebuilt so cool on the common world and I separately rebuilt on another world .. with an underground garage and a separate room for resources)) well, nothing ... we'll catch up, I think) the main thing is to find a bridge ...

4 minutes ago, DuHast_Play said:

Thank you for your reply! It's sad that the saves will fly off .. my friend and I rebuilt so cool on the common world and I separately rebuilt on another world .. with an underground garage and a separate room for resources)) well, nothing ... we'll catch up, I think) the main thing is to find a bridge ...

You can save your buildings and paste them back into A21 if you want. Here is a tutorial by Mr. Reach

9 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

Вы можете сохранить свои здания и вставить их обратно в A21, если хотите. Вот учебник мистера Рича

Thank you so much buddy!!!! I hope this works, because I'm not strong in console commands and so on .. we'll try

As far as new crafting goes I'm assuming the desired sweet spot for knowledge vs. parts drops is that players don't always craft a new item as soon as the get the required knowledge, but equally avoids the current situation where you hang on to your parts for a very late craft. Thus maximising meaningful player choice.

It occurs to me there are a couple of parameters that heavily influence this behaviour: How many parts higher tier versions require over lower tier versions, and the degree to which higher tier versions of items give back more parts when scrapped.

If a Q4 item was giving back 80% of the parts required to make it, or similar, that would push things strongly towards 'always craft as soon as you can'. If it stays at more like 15%, as it is now, that pushes heavily towards 'craft late'.

A bit of playing around with those ratios should allow for fine tuning to hit the sweet spot for the majority of players. Without telling the devs what's easy and what's not (as an agilist I'm a firm believer that only the people who are going to do the work get to estimate it) it does strike me that you may well be able to vary those two parameters without making significant changes to the rest of the system, giving a lot of flexible control over the incentives to adopt a particular crafting behaviour.

This is a good thing.

31 minutes ago, Uncle Al said:

If a Q4 item was giving back 80% of the parts required to make it, or similar, that would push things strongly towards 'always craft as soon as you can'. If it stays at more like 15%, as it is now, that pushes heavily towards 'craft late'.

As far as I know, the number of parts you get when scrapping a weapon or a tool is always the same, no matter what quality level.
For example, an AK47 gives you 3 parts and an M60 gives you 4 parts.

4 hours ago, DuHast_Play said:

If you got the game on steam you can select to stay on A20 as long as you like. OR you can save your current game directory to a different location and as long as steam is running in the background you can start that game by hand and play both A20 and A21. I would use different user accounts on the same PC for each version though as there sometimes are settings that are incompatible between versions.

2 hours ago, RipClaw said:

As far as I know, the number of parts you get when scrapping a weapon or a tool is always the same, no matter what quality level.
For example, an AK47 gives you 3 parts and an M60 gives you 4 parts.

That knowledge may soon be a relict of the past. We know they had to doctor on the parts mechanism. Whether they only increased the drop chances for parts or did more? Who knows?

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

@faatal So with this extended period of developement, is A21 a larger update than usual, or is it moreover that is has been a trickier one? i'm in no rush for it as i know it will happen when it happens, just wondering. :)  . . . anyway, hope your sanity is holding up with all this 🤣 and things are good for you!

Edited by Quagmire1428
typing with my eyes closed apparently (see edit history)

On 2/6/2023 at 5:22 PM, Roland said:

When you say "private server" are you talking about a dedicated server that is password protected to keep it private or are you talking about one person hosting the others on their own personal rig while they are playing as well? There is a huge difference in required specs to be able to host others on your own computer. It would be great for them to be able to improve things to the point that person to person multiplayer could work buttery smooth but it may end up being something not recommended for more than two players.

There are four of us who play on a dedicated server and we never suffer those delays. But if even just two of us decide to play directly hosted by the other then the client almost always suffers from those types of delays. Adding more players would make it worse.

thx 4 ur reply. I mean a dedicated server standing next to my PC, connected to my LAN. No other players or action is eating the CPU power. I always got these lags and hosting games since A12 or so. While then I changed four times my complete hardware. Ping is at 1ms when connected, same for my GF. My friend connects from outside LAN and has a bit higher ping. The CPU / RAM / SSD is board while the game is running. Only one CPU core is used most times (servers as clients) so I guess its bad multithreaded.

10 hours ago, DuHast_Play said:
Good day to all!
Please clarify if there is any news regarding alpha 21? and there is a question. Will past worlds still be active? Or the saves will fly off after the update? I've been playing for a little over a month just ... thanks in advance

Saves typically cannot be kept when moving to a new Alpha without breaking something in the game.

Hello, I'm getting really disappointed that there is so little news and information for alpha 21!

and only stream suggestions for the Twich extension

I understand that it is a lot of work and that it also takes a long time, but to state the whole year as the date for the alpha 2023 is intense

and then there are the streams

and then the streamers so I can hope for December 23rd :D

otherwise you are doing a great job. but give us new information and material for the old friends

LG fan from Germany

1 hour ago, Fritzkola87 said:

Hello, I'm getting really disappointed that there is so little news and information for alpha 21!

and only stream suggestions for the Twich extension

I understand that it is a lot of work and that it also takes a long time, but to state the whole year as the date for the alpha 2023 is intense

and then there are the streams

and then the streamers so I can hope for December 23rd :D

otherwise you are doing a great job. but give us new information and material for the old friends

LG fan from Germany

did you wrote this lines in word and copied them over ?

Congratulations on the successful release of your game. This is a testament to your tireless work and talent. We look forward to hearing about your next project. Thank you for being with us all these years and providing us with unforgettable gaming experiences. We have experienced each of the 20 alphas with you

6 hours ago, custom_hero said:

Congratulations on the successful release of your game. This is a testament to your tireless work and talent. We look forward to hearing about your next project. Thank you for being with us all these years and providing us with unforgettable gaming experiences. We have experienced each of the 20 alphas with you

Yes, Borat is nice, King in na chairrr. I make plow with wife in farm like mule, and go indoor and play 7 days to fly. IS number ONE!!!

2 hours ago, darkangel_ said:

yeye all look very beautiful,but try to optimize this game,64gb ram,i9 13900k,rtx 3090 and this @%$# fps drops to 20 ,10,40,or less in buildings,or places with a lot of things,all graphics less to low and is unplayable,do a better work or let game die

Wut?
if you are going to write a goodbye letter at least make it legible.

I hate gamer goodbye letters. Nobody cares that the game doesn’t run as you expected it to, nobody cares how much you played over the years.

2 hours ago, darkangel_ said:

yeye all look very beautiful,but try to optimize this game,64gb ram,i9 13900k,rtx 3090 and this @%$# fps drops to 20 ,10,40,or less in buildings,or places with a lot of things,all graphics less to low and is unplayable,do a better work or let game die

Your indignation is understandable.But it doesn't make sense to do the maximum possible optimization for each alpha version.It's a waste of time.As soon as the game gets all the major changes, I think closer to gold, the game will get all possible optimizations.But you should not expect that the game will be able to use your computer completely.Optimization is usually carried out for average computers.And do not forget that this is a completely destructible voxel world.You won't get GTA 5 optimization.

btw when 4090 came out, 3090 turned into a pumpkin 😁
 A very expensive pumpkin.🤔

5 hours ago, darkangel_ said:

даааа все выглядит очень красиво,но попробуй оптимизировать эту игру,64gb ram,i9 13900k,rtx 3090 и это @%$# fps падает до 20 ,10,40 или меньше в зданиях,или местах с кучей вещей,все графика менее низкая и неиграбельная, делайте лучше или дайте игре умереть

My friend, I play on a laptop that is not gaming at all (HP 255G8). settings are about average. 10-13 FPS on average. 20 only when I look at the sky. 7 or more on level 5 missions. and nothing. I don't whine. Of course, I want a good personal computer, but there is no way. Creating games is not as easy as many people think.

19 hours ago, meganoth said:

Если вы приобрели игру в Steam, вы можете оставаться на A20 столько, сколько захотите. ИЛИ вы можете сохранить текущий каталог игры в другом месте, и пока Steam работает в фоновом режиме, вы можете запустить эту игру вручную и играть как в A20, так и в A21. Я бы использовал разные учетные записи пользователей на одном и том же ПК для каждой версии, поскольку иногда существуют несовместимые настройки между версиями.

Это знание вскоре может стать пережитком прошлого. Мы знаем, что им пришлось подправлять детали механизма. Они только увеличили шансы на выпадение деталей или сделали больше? Кто знает?

Their Steam version. Thank you so much!) Let's discuss with a friend how to proceed with the release of the new alpha. Maybe we'll start from scratch. But in any case, I will rebuild the Base on the bridge in the new alpha) It turned out too fancy and cool to lose such beauty) and I spent too much time on it) more than 200 hours

3 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

Your indignation is understandable.But it doesn't make sense to do the maximum possible optimization for each alpha version.It's a waste of time.As soon as the game gets all the major changes, I think closer to gold, the game will get all possible optimizations.But you should not expect that the game will be able to use your computer completely.Optimization is usually carried out for average computers.And do not forget that this is a completely destructible voxel world.You won't get GTA 5 optimization.

btw when 4090 came out, 3090 turned into a pumpkin 😁
 A very expensive pumpkin.🤔

A21 has that glass block optomisation which should help in the cities. There may be others too we'll have to wait and see, but they do optimize along the way. Maybe not 100% dedicated to that 1 task since like you said it would waste too much time optomising a feature that then gets cut or completely changed, but they have made consistent tweaks to improve performance over the alpha's. I think it's too close to a new alpha to evaluate performance atm since it could all change when a21 drops, I wouldn't expect massive gains but an improvement to the playability of cities is definitely possible imo. 

I also have a 13900k and 3090. I've also done significant benchmarking on this game and can say very certainly a 3090 is no pumpkin. You have to keep in mind the other Benchmarks you see online are usually the latest aaa games, older indie and alpha games are no where near as demanding on the gpu and are almost always cpu bound with a 3090 even at 4k in 7dtds case. The 13900k is one of the fastest cpus for gaming currently and it still gets cpu bound in most of the games I play and definitely for 7dtd, so you wouldn't get anywhere near the performance improvement seen in Benchmarks of games like cyberpunk 2077, I'd be willing to bet you probably wouldn't see any noticeable increase in performance going from a 3090 to a 4090 in 7dtd.

It's also nothing new and not exclusive to 1 specific gpu that when a new generation comes out the value to performance ratio of the previous generation dives off a cliff. If you buy new hardware it's generally an accepted reality that, 1 the Value of the hardware depreciates significantly over time and 2 the new hardware will only be the latest and greatest for a matter of months at most. 

GPUs also don't  just become paper weights when a new generation comes out, they still provide exactly the same performance they did on launch day. According to the steam hardware survey the gtx 1060 is still among the most popular gpus currently. That gpu is 3 generations old, released over 6 years ago. So most people are happy with their cards performance for many years.