Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

12 hours ago, Roland said:

I should point out that this is the main reason for the long development cycle this time around. There has been a major overhaul of old art and introduction of new art and the task to integrate it into existing POIs has been monumental. It is all part of the process of replacing placeholder art with original art assets owned by TFP so that much much more of the world will look unique to this game instead of everywhere you turn you see the same assets you see in all the other Unity games.

I'm not saying, "Blame Laz" or anything but if you've got a pitchfork or torch in hand already and you don't want it to go to waste...well...he's right over there.

(BTW...pitchforks and torches are half-off right now on my new website!)

Someone pointed out to me that simply replacing placeholder blocks like a toaster or changing the texture on a block would not need the POIs itself to be changed at all.

I understand that new shapes provide opportunities to redesign POIs, but there you could stop any time and anyway block **shapes** are surely not bought assets that need replacement for owing the art.

Naturally you could add a toaster with a new id and then touch each single POI with a toaster in it to use the new toaster, but only an idiot would do that when he could just replace the old toasters block definition, keeping the same id and automatically have the new toaster appear in every POI.

So do you have some good examples of art replacement that really needs a sweep of all or many POIs instead of simply changing a texture atlas or redefine the block to look different ?

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Someone pointed out to me that simply replacing placeholder blocks like a toaster or changing the texture on a block would not need the POIs itself to be changed at all.

I understand that new shapes provide opportunities to redesign POIs, but there you could stop any time and anyways the old shapes are surely not bought assets.

So do you have some good examples of art replacement that really needs a sweep of all or many POIs instead of simply changing a texture atlas or redefine the block to look different ?

Certainly a large part of Alpha 21 will be the art update but it is not the only thing holding up the Alpha.  Hopefully the we will be able to share more info. soon.

As far as POIs are concerned, there are many in various different states.  For example, an older POI will definitely take more time to update when compared to a POI that was created in A20.  The level design team is also adding in support for more quest types such as restore power to existing POIs where they make sense.

26 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I understand that new shapes provide opportunities to redesign POIs, but there you could stop any time and anyway block **shapes** are surely not bought assets that need replacement for owing the art.

Naturally you could add a toaster with a new id and then touch each single POI with a toaster in it to use the new toaster, but only an idiot would do that when he could just replace the old toasters block definition, keeping the same id and automatically have the new toaster appear in every POI.

Its not just replace old toaster block with new toaster block. It is also a whole bunch of brand new items that they want to stage in POIs where it makes sense to place them. Its also going through older POIs and making sure they are updated to the level of the new POIs and in some cases it means replacing old structures or decorations that were jury-rigged together using existing blocks to a new asset that is just that thing. One example that comes to mind was a tractor that was basically made out of blocks being changed to something that looks like an actual tractor. Because it wasn't simply a single block id that could be swapped for a new block id it needed to be removed and replaced manually. 

When the game first came out there were a lot of instances of furniture and decorations and building that were done in a kind of Minecrafty way of using existing blocks in creative ways to to make chandeliers out of fences (for example). Now if they want a chandelier they can commission it to be created for them so that it looks like a real chandelier and not a creative repurposing of fences.

There are a lot of these types of changes coming for A21.

45 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

Seeing as you seem to be in a chatty mood, any idea on roughly how many new POIs there are in A21 as opposed to the updates?

And if you're really feeling chatty, can you let us know how many of the new ones are tier 5?  That is a weak point right now as there is little questing to do that isn't just repeating a few POI over and over right now.  Even one or two would help considerably.

Did someone say torches???  I'll take two.

5 hours ago, Matt115 said:

To be honest... i feel like 7DTD change too much into.... Doom. I know it's sounds crazy that's why i will explain why 😜

Let's take days gone POI's as example - windows, opened door and except few places like university.... that's it. state of decay - like a days gone, project zomboid - some door are closed right but it's just.. normal. dayz ? similiar.

7dtd - almost every Poi is like some type of maze. Why? I know because "gAmEpLaY" But A13 - house was just... house. Complicated building are ok if there is a reasons - school, unviersity, military base, office, but Bar without stairs? Okay someone can say that dunno -  there was a nuke and that's why - i would agree but... collapsing stairs and left building intact? sounds too naive. Military? would sounds correct but if... this would happends in few buildings not in most of them + lack of military stuff on streets.  If this would dunno random furnitures on stairs would have much more sense. Plus most 70-80% should be just... "empty" no barricades, strange holes in  floors just simple building in and out - this would make looting crates more easier? Yes. so maybe..... reduce number of duff bags crates by 50%? It would be logical if most POI's had just basic stuff + junk. someone can say 'but but but fUn because always chance for loo......" SPOILER : you can use... logic! For example - you want gun? look at police station. Food , almost everywhere right? but tools? more probably DIY store. Project zomboid made when you can find loot much more better and logical

If it was YOU making the POIs, I bet they would be much more realistic/believable, but also much more... boring. :yawn:

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

And if you're really feeling chatty, can you let us know how many of the new ones are tier 5?  That is a weak point right now as there is little questing to do that isn't just repeating a few POI over and over right now.  Even one or two would help considerably.

Did someone say torches???  I'll take two.

I believe Roland already hinted to at least one new T5 in A21.... 😁

42 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I believe Roland already hinted to at least one new T5 in A21.... 😁

Yeah.  I know we will have at least a couple, but I'm hoping for half a dozen, though I doubt we will get that many.

Now, if they would add Area 51, we could really have some fun. Lol 

7 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Yeah.  I know we will have at least a couple, but I'm hoping for half a dozen, though I doubt we will get that many.

Now, if they would add Area 51, we could really have some fun. Lol 

Could be, indeed, but @unholyjoe confirmed that aliens are not going in A21 not long ago. 

Spoiler

Who knows, fingers crossed :)

14 minutes ago, beerfly said:

Could be, indeed, but @unholyjoe confirmed that aliens are not going in A21 not long ago. 

Reveal hidden contents

Who knows, fingers crossed :)

Doesn't need to include aliens.  Area 51 might have nothing to do with aliens, but instead zombies.  Both are about equally unlikely. 😜

3 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

If it was YOU making the POIs, I bet they would be much more realistic/believable, but also much more... boring. :yawn:

Boring? No. Because you would do much more diffrent things - okay let's say now every S1/S2/S3 poi are 10 minuts  per poi and and S4/S5 are 20 min per poi. So if POI were made by me - it would be 5 min per poi - so you would have much more..... crafting materials! Wait what? Okay - so if time is saved let's say 40%-60% less time is spend on looting then farming or crafting could be more complicated and advances this same thing with "preparing" base for hordes right? and well "simpler" POI's = more trucks,cars military outposts random mines outside

I wouldn't want POIs to be that fast to complete. If they are that fast, then there isn't anything to them.  They are essentially a small one floor house at 5 minutes (maybe 2 floors if they are empty).  That sounds extremely boring to me and is likely never quest and probably not bother looting at all, which would probably mean never playing the game again.

Other than the large two between tier 4 and 5, I like the POI setup we have now.  We just need more of them.  This isn't meant for a casual have where you play 10 minutes a day.

12 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Boring? No. Because you would do much more diffrent things - okay let's say now every S1/S2/S3 poi are 10 minuts  per poi and and S4/S5 are 20 min per poi. So if POI were made by me - it would be 5 min per poi - so you would have much more..... crafting materials! Wait what? Okay - so if time is saved let's say 40%-60% less time is spend on looting then farming or crafting could be more complicated and advances this same thing with "preparing" base for hordes right? and well "simpler" POI's = more trucks,cars military outposts random mines outside

Jost, you hit the nail on the head 😄

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

On 11/30/2022 at 6:02 AM, Laz Man said:

Hopefully, we will be able to share more info. soon.  Especially about unannounced features / improvements. 😉

Updated character models!

pantpant... please...(whimpers)

On the topic of POIs and updating them and such and all the new blocks I have a few small questions, really not pertaining to a21 but if they're included it doesn't hurt to ask:

• Are deco block placements getting any sort of refresh/additional placement/rotation points (i.e small kitchen wastebaskets, which sit in the middle of a full block could have a placement update so that it could be touching the edge of a full block—something similar to weapons bags, small shopping baskets, and desk lamps)?
  • For the POI builders, if you're allowed to answer (and no worries if you can't!), what has been the most challenging POI to make, change, or update (or all three if you can answer all three) to A21?

Also Laz, looking at that power plant you mentioned is your favorite... it looks insane in real life so I can only imagine what it looks like in game!

2 hours ago, vergilsparda said:
  • (i.e small kitchen wastebaskets, which sit in the middle of a full block could have a placement update so that it could be touching the edge of a full block—something similar to weapons bags, small shopping baskets, and desk lamps)?

Yeah, the wastebasket would look a lot nicer against the wall in many locations.  And if you don't want it against the wall, rotating it would leave it in a good position, so it would be good not to have it centered.

2 hours ago, vergilsparda said:
  • Are deco block placements getting any sort of refresh/additional placement/rotation points (i.e small kitchen wastebaskets, which sit in the middle of a full block could have a placement update so that it could be touching the edge of a full block—something similar to weapons bags, small shopping baskets, and desk lamps)?
  • For the POI builders, if you're allowed to answer (and no worries if you can't!), what has been the most challenging POI to make, change, or update (or all three if you can answer all three) to A21?

Also Laz, looking at that power plant you mentioned is your favorite... it looks insane in real life so I can only imagine what it looks like in game!

Several of the new deco art such as potted plants have corner variants that allow you to place them near the edge of a voxel space.

I wouldnt say the power plant is my favorite POI, however, its certainly one I enjoyed making and learned alot from.  There are alot of distinct areas / beats throughout the level.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

I wouldnt say the power plant is my favorite POI, but it is. It's certainly one I enjoyed making and learned a lot from.  There are a lot of distinct areas / beats throughout the level. I'm also the best POI designer in the face of this Earth and part of Jupiter. Every other POI designer is just a cake that has no filling. Bland, gushy smelly rotting cakes. I'm so good that they upgraded my Tier 5 POIs to TIER 7 . Robert stopped working on RWG just to pregen my face on a 10k map and fill it with wilderness POIs. That's how wild I am. I just focus on a task and take it down like a champ. Currently finishing up my 933rd POI. As I said, savage.

I see. I understand completely. Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Your description sounds more accurate for Hernan "The Machine." That guy sheds POIs in his sleep....😅

Indeed. He is also a beast. Most POI are very creatively made, others are just functional POIs, but the level design in some works you guys did is so good that I find myself admiring them from inside out and from afar and above, lol.  I believe some of them are superior to Half Life 2 in quality, and that fact, coming from a game that dips in many a genre, is saying quite a lot. 

Hi @faatal . I have two questions:

1. Is there any radiation survival stuff implemented in a21?

2. Is the trader imventory tailored to each player and specific  to each player ( that restocks only for each individual player to see )or is it  a X number of items that restock, can be seen by everyone  and can be depleted in detriment of other players? (like in current alphas).

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone I'm curious to see how this game will become. I just wanted to mention out one thing.

Don't make the same mistake as a lot of devs do which is focussing on graphics and visuals instead of mechanics and (new) interactive features. We don't care if something VISUAL is in detail or hyperrealistic. Btw I actually hate visual hyperrealism. We rather have cool new gameplay mechanics! :D Thank you for reading