Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, Diragor said:

Pressing ESC and leave the game will let the wolf despawn. That could help :D will they fix this too?

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it out. I always had the impression that the entities are saved together with the other chunk data when you leave the game.

3 hours ago, NukemDed said:

i am pleasantly surprised we havent had a blow up over the secret stash being removed. does that mean we have grown up a bit and @roland can give us another crumb?

The removal of the secret stash is one interpretation of the riddle, but it has not yet been confirmed.

The consequences of a possible removal of the secret stash are also not clear. It could be, for example, that the contents of the secret stash will simply be merged with the other categories.

13 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

The removal of the secret stash is one interpretation of the riddle, but it has not yet been confirmed.

The consequences of a possible removal of the secret stash are also not clear. It could be, for example, that the contents of the secret stash will simply be merged with the other categories.

I think it's already been mentioned that one consequence of the removal of the secret stash is that you'll know longer get top tier loot too early, which both gives us a consequence and all but confirms the solution to the riddle

6 hours ago, NukemDed said:

i am pleasantly surprised we havent had a blow up over the secret stash being removed. does that mean we have grown up a bit and @roland can give us another crumb?

Doubt any growing up took place during the interim. I didn't 😜. But as noted, the "goodbye secrect stash" has not been confirmed by Roland.  I think its time to own up and give us another riddle!

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

The fault of wearing heavy armor maybe?

Hmm. Scrap armor in early game is tempting, but it does indeed come with a movement and stamina penalty. For me, wolves and dogs present an early game "this is not going to end well" scenario. On foot, I can't get away fast enough. Need to nerdpole onto anything that's at least two blocks high!

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, meganoth said:

The fault of wearing heavy armor maybe?

Or being already short on stamina because I sprint most of the time because walking is so slow.

I usually stick with cloth armor in the early game. Was now not particularly wise in the current game because I have tested how it plays with Feral Sense. Let's say dog hordes have no problem finding me. 😉

6 minutes ago, Melange said:

Hmm. Scrap armor in early game is tempting, but it does indeed come with a movement and stamina penalty. For me, wolves and dogs present an early game "this is not going to end well" scenario. On foot, I can't get away fast enough. Need to nerdpole onto anything that's at least two blocks high!

I can relate to that. When you see the horde coming you can still quickly retreat and try to kill them with the bow from a safe distance. If they surprise you then it is lunchtime for the horde.

13 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I've been meaning to say this for a while... but dude, I'm pretty sure you are the nicest guy I've never met.  Every single post is that of a perfect gentleman.   I'd offer to buy you a beer but you probably don't drink (not meant as an insult).     I'm inspired to be more like you both on forums and in real life.

If only the inspiration lasted more than 2 minutes, pretty much my duration on anything I do....   Best 2 minutes of your life though, if interested.

So you became Johny bravo?

I would wrote there should be book "50 colours of Snowdog"  but this sounds too much furry 

On 11/8/2022 at 4:02 PM, Jost Amman said:

Why did I receive a notification that you quoted me? :confused2:

I didn't write anything on the matter. :noidea:

You tell me. I hit the bottom reply to topic button and it kept quoting you for some silly reason. I kept trying to remove it, but it stayed no matter what. Had to edit my post to finally get it to go away.

Ha. Dunno. Weirdness.

5 hours ago, Laran Mithras said:

You tell me. I hit the bottom reply to topic button and it kept quoting you for some silly reason. I kept trying to remove it, but it stayed no matter what. Had to edit my post to finally get it to go away.

Ha. Dunno. Weirdness.

We should all start quoting Josh now and deleting it.  We could even start a pool on how long he would go without snapping and what his reaction will be. 😏

10 minutes ago, 9664488 said:
Why is there not a word about the optimization of the game?

There have been many words. Go back and read @faatal posts since he works a lot on optimizations and you will be able to read about specific things he has been working on. The feature list on the first page of this thread is just that: a feature list. It isn't a changelog that itemizes all changes that have occurred. 

Optimization is happening. Word.

58 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

We should all start quoting Josh Jost now and deleting it.  We could even start a pool on how long he would go without snapping and what his reaction will be. 😏

Roland did say that they had spammer issues during that time. Might explain why things got a little weird. Not like it was a major outage or anything. But your suggestion did make me smile (whether it were Jost or any of the rest of us). Just sayin'.

9 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

So, we got it right... :sad:

Indeed. Good team effort! Now, let's get to fleshing out what that might mean.  I'll start: No easy access to crucibles.

so, with the removal of secret stash, what is the big payoff for getting better barter? I mean slightly better prices was one thing, but things such as solar panels, solar bank and a few other things from secret stash had prereqs to show only in secret stash with a specific better barter level. will those things now show up in regular trader inventory as long as the BB perk prereq is met? or will BB get a slight reworking as well?

Little late on my guess and the secret stash removal is probably right, but I'm still going to guess that they are adding elevators that work... Hands "elevated", stairs to go up, lots of people == Elevator (or escalator).  Of course working elevators and/or escalators aren't going to be added, but I still like my guess. 😜

14 minutes ago, NekoPawtato said:

Regarding magazine drop rates, does putting more points into a perk give increased chances compared to only 1 point in the perk? (like 4/5 in shotguns vs 1/5 in shotguns)?

I believe any and all treasure drops affected by perk would all be under lucky looter