Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

27 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Are they in already in -in a bugged state-  and did you meet them yet or do they only exist in faatal's test build for now?

Your opinion usually feels like a cool premonition, even if it is of semi-naked Afro-haired people swearing while gliding through RWG.

They have not been added to the test trunk yet. @faatal is being stingy with them. ;)

2 hours ago, Roland said:

They have not been added to the test trunk yet. @faatal is being stingy with them. ;)

I can understand why...

As soon as the cat is out of the bag it'll be prod, poked, dissected, burned, ground and analyzed until they find each and every issue/bug/shortcoming. :deadhorse:

For the environmental hazards we should be able to interact with these hazards not only as a level obstacle but as a gameplay feature that is more dynamic and manipulatable. You should be able to turn the valve back on if you think that zombies will be running through the doorway that the flames would be blocking off. If you find a red pipe you should be able to shoot it and make a hazard yourself. These are just an example but I think applying intractability to a lot of deco would play to this games sandbox strengths. I mean heck lights can't even be shot out for stealth gameplay. You have to destroy the whole lamp to shut it off. Light switch, one tap and that's all I'm going to say.  

10 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

Yup! Ran out of time to get the new gibs done in time for the A20 launch. He still works, so it shipped.

Lots of things will be in various states of WIP from here to Gold!

Thanks for the response. Appreciate it.

If realistic survival is the point, the change to glue that has been proposed makes no sense. Boiling bones in "boiled water" is pointless, considering that people have been making homemade glue using river and lake water since the old days. You have to boil them in water to make glue, therefore you end up with boiled water by the time you are done. Because it is a very slow process normally, increasing the time it takes to make glue in a campfire should be increased instead (this would also incentivize getting that chem station in order to speed up glue production). That would be a more realistic change than making boiled water from murky water to make glue that you aren't going to eat so who cares if it has pathogens....

21 minutes ago, Razzthom said:

If realistic survival is the point, the change to glue that has been proposed makes no sense. Boiling bones in "boiled water" is pointless, considering that people have been making homemade glue using river and lake water since the old days. You have to boil them in water to make glue, therefore you end up with boiled water by the time you are done. Because it is a very slow process normally, increasing the time it takes to make glue in a campfire should be increased instead (this would also incentivize getting that chem station in order to speed up glue production). That would be a more realistic change than making boiled water from murky water to make glue that you aren't going to eat so who cares if it has pathogens....

It was discovered that glue made from murky water was not as adhesive as glue from pure water. We wanted you to have the stickiest glue possible so that your duct tape would never fail you. Thus, the recipe was changed to pure water. In A21 you won’t have to boil it all. You will have a few dew collectors producing lots of pure water per day. If you use that for the glue and boil the water you drink then double boiling should never be an issue you have to deal with. 

(The goal is only semi-realistic survival)

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Nicole said:

I like but the idea of remove empty glass bottles from the game, uhm no, I think will do hard to play when start a game and be difficult travel to the desert, havent thought of putting a canteen? 😢

How many drinks would a canteen hold?  10?  Well you can have a stack of 10 water so basically the same. 

For visiting the desert you can easily take plenty of drinks in with you. For living in the desert you can build dew collectors and be just fine. 

I love Alpha 20, the last one I played before was Alpha 17 I believe: The one where only killing zombies gave reasonable amounts of XP and on the contraary to Alpha 20, I hated it. There's really a lot of back and forth with how character-progression works with every other version and I don't understand why the players with a heavier focus on base building instead of exploration/looting, such as me, are forced to weight their game-style to something they like less. Don't get me wrong, I love the combination of both, but why not leaving us with the choice to grind inside or outside, depending on personal and situational preference, when the possibility is already there?

Dear devs, tell me if a change is planned in rwgmixer.xml how was it before with the POIs list? The fact is that now I am experimenting with tiles, POIs and parts for them. The dimensions of my locations are non-standard (for example, 37 x 31), but some standard locations are suitable in size (25 x 25) and appear in the world. How to avoid this? While I can create "empty" locations with the same name and remove tags in the settings, however, POIs is becoming more and more in each Alpha, and each time tracking and creating "empty" ones sounds too dreary. What do you think?

8 hours ago, Roland said:

How many drinks would a canteen hold?  10?  Well you can have a stack of 10 water so basically the same. 

I'd say exactly only 1 and you could only use the canteen to pick up single bottles of water from water sources... 😁

32 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

Does this mean the previously shown raft is no longer planned as a vehicle?

I was talking about boats. Rafts are totally different. 

Im not sure about the status and future of the raft. 

6 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Thanks Joe. Can I be nitpicky? I'm gonna be nitpicky... Please get someone to fix the alignment of those two boxes on the right-hand side 😛

image.png.200d67d2c6382e7fc8c44b1c6c93cb87.png

Is that one of the places you are talking about. It's only place I noticed.

Edit: ah ok the two boxes are those two boxes lol

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)