we need a primitive source of light in the early game.

gurutar

i don't know about other players, but i don't stay in my base at night, even when i first start. i think that's really boring. the problem being that i can't see very well without a helmet light mod. my solution is to simply turn the brightness up in the settings, and its actually a perfect solution, it lights everything up without being harsh on my eyes.

i'd like a solution that doesn't involve me changing settings, tho. the engine probably wouldn't allow a player to hold a torch in one hand and a weapon in the other, but maybe a torch secured to a player's back? this is a solution used by real hunter-gatherers in the past. maybe make it a mod to attach to chest armor or chest clothing?

night_fishing_hawaii_1948.jpg

A drone with the lightmod is perfect for day 1. Its as a light source is so bad its perfect as starterlight before you get your helmlight. Also the drone is just additional carrycapacity so you dont need mod your inventory anymore.

In my last playtrough everyone started with a bicycle, a drone and a lightmod for it. Feels perfect. Usually i get rid of that drone as soon as possible because in my first 2 days it blocked 4-5 of my arrows. Its more annoying than helpfull.

28 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

Early game I always place torches down when I am clearing a room or having to fight outside.  Just put the torch down, do my business, and pick the torch back up to continue on.

Right, I carry 4 torches on average in early game.   Before I have a helmet light,   Torches are incredibly sticky so I toss one by the doorway I am about to open,  or after entering a new shady looking area simply toss one on the wall.  

2 hours ago, warmer said:

what is stopping you from placing your torch down to use your hands, or are you concerned about fighting at the same time?

the latter. it would be nice to have a hands-free light source, similar to the helmet light mod.

55 minutes ago, PoppaSmirk said:

Right, I carry 4 torches on average in early game.   Before I have a helmet light,   Torches are incredibly sticky so I toss one by the doorway I am about to open,  or after entering a new shady looking area simply toss one on the wall.  

that's a cumbersome way to handle light in the early game. it would be much more convenient to have the light follow you, so you can always have a weapon in your hands.

28 minutes ago, gurutar said:

that's a cumbersome way to handle light in the early game. it would be much more convenient to have the light follow you, so you can always have a weapon in your hands.

It would have been much more convenient for the Duke to leave us a fully furnished 4x4 instead of ditching us naked as well.  Carrying torches to throw down before clearing a room or during a fight outside takes maybe a second since they stick to basically everything.  With the helmet light already being available I doubt the devs will make a torch you can equip to your chest piece.  You could probably make a mod that does this though.

22 hours ago, gurutar said:

the latter. it would be nice to have a hands-free light source, similar to the helmet light mod.

There is already one of those mods in game, its keeps your hands free and sticks to players and zombies a like. most traders have a couple of bottles of them in stock under the weapons tab. 

Careful in doorways though.

Burning Shaft mod... NV goggles... candles/torches... weapon/helmet light... campfires?

I get that it can be a bit of annoyance, but I think current system of dealing with darkness is fairly balanced (each solution has their own limitations/faults). Although, I think maybe a slight gamma increase for last level of Animal Tracker that helps when outside at night, but not in a tunnel would be a nice addition.

Starting the game with a drone with a light mod would be skipping over too much of the tech progression for me.  To get a similar effect (if you're going to cheat anyway), you could give yourself a burning shaft mod and add it to your main weapon.  The effect on lighting is the same as if you held a torch in one hand and the weapon in the other.  In fact, since we have burning shaft mods for weapons, I think you could modify the xml to duplicate the effect with a chest armor mod, like the OP suggests.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:26 AM, Sjustus548 said:

Early game I always place torches down when I am clearing a room or having to fight outside.  Just put the torch down, do my business, and pick the torch back up to continue on.

This makes the most sense to me. The night should feel incredibly dangerous right when you start. This is a good way of splitting that difficulty by preparing and being creative with what you have to work with.

I choose to play a survival game but I don't wanna deal with the survival aspect. I wish the Pimps would give me stuff so I don't have to survive so hard in a survival game.

Like I find it so excruciating to have to hunt for food or even easier, loot around. We should start with a full catering service waiting for us beside where we wake up when we start the game. Oh and speaking of which, why are we full nood?? Is it asking too much to have at least walk-in with appropriate clothing before I start eating my breakfast?

And exploring... Omfg, this is the worst. I gotta WALK. Pimps, why the hell can't we have a pick-up service from the traders, to drive us around? Like Uber, but call it Trader instead.

LeT mE pLaY tHe WaY i WaNt. I don't see why I should be forced to survive in a post-nuclear-pandemic apocalypse, with no remaining and functioning structures and systems, if I don't want to. Please fix the game according to my most remote desires. 🙏

Edited by Kyonshi (see edit history)

Also, I would place temporary torches more often if they looked like they were meant to be placed, rather than floating above the ground, which looks ugly.  An entity with physics would work better than a block for this purpose… and since someone will complain about performance, give it a 1 minute timer before it disappears… in fact, forget torches altogether and make them consumable flares.  That’s what we’re really talking about here when it comes to lighting up a room so you can clear the zombies.

1 minute ago, gurutar said:

that's something i would love. torch in one hand, weapon in the other.

But then what do you do if you wanna use the Sledgehammer? Use a Brawling build? Can anyone use the Auger with one hand while holding a torch, beside Arnie in his prime?

tHuMbS dOwN 

50 minutes ago, Kyonshi said:

I choose to play a survival game but I don't wanna deal with the survival aspect. I wish the Pimps would give me stuff so I don't have to survive so hard in a survival game.

Like I find it so excruciating to have to hunt for food or even easier, loot around. We should start with a full catering service waiting for us beside where we wake up when we start the game. Oh and speaking of which, why are we full nood?? Is it asking too much to have at least walk-in with appropriate clothing before I start eating my breakfast?

And exploring... Omfg, this is the worst. I gotta WALK. Pimps, why the hell can't we have a pick-up service from the traders, to drive us around? Like Uber, but call it Trader instead.

LeT mE pLaY tHe WaY i WaNt. I don't see why I should be forced to survive in a post-nuclear-pandemic apocalypse, with no remaining and functioning structures and systems, if I don't want to. Please fix the game according to my most remote desires. 🙏

While I agree with the principle of working for what you get, I think you are being a bit harsh here in response to a suggestion for a primitive hands free light source. It wouldn't be as game breaking or OP as some of the sarcastic parallels you drew would be. Since you can throw down a torch pretty much any time you want, it wouldn't be much of a game changer to have a torch that can be lashed on anyways. Lighten up a bit Kyonshi. If the OP was actually asking for an Uber or a catering service then I could see  your response being fitting. But a primitive hands-free light that will be obsoleted pretty quickly as soon as the first helmet light mod is found? That's not really worth all your effort here.

Be nice!

A bit of leather, some scraps of iron, a can and a candle for a primitive mining light with about half the illumination of a torch that can strap to the head taking up the glasses slot (or head slot when the new clothing system is implemented)? No stat bonuses, just a light source.

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

I think you could modify the xml to duplicate the effect with a chest armor mod, like the OP suggests.

Or duplicate the helmet light mod, change the recipe to flashlight + duct tape, change the mod slot to chest (if you really want to) and half the light output (for balance). Flashlights tend to be 2 a penny pretty early on. It could just be a tier0 version of the helmet light mod.

14 hours ago, Kyonshi said:

what do you do if you wanna

How about the same caveats as every other game that allows dual wielding: you can only hold something in your off hand if the item in your primary hand is one-handed (clubs, stone axe, iron pick, wrenches, knives). Not rocket science and certainly not a hyperbole magnet.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:56 PM, gurutar said:

i don't know about other players, but i don't stay in my base at night, even when i first start. i think that's really boring. the problem being that i can't see very well without a helmet light mod. my solution is to simply turn the brightness up in the settings, and its actually a perfect solution, it lights everything up without being harsh on my eyes.

i'd like a solution that doesn't involve me changing settings, tho. the engine probably wouldn't allow a player to hold a torch in one hand and a weapon in the other, but maybe a torch secured to a player's back? this is a solution used by real hunter-gatherers in the past. maybe make it a mod to attach to chest armor or chest clothing?

Your suggestion looks nice and could fit in the overall setting, however, I don't think it is needed. You don't have to stay in your base at night. What is stopping you from taking a torch and going outside? If that is too inconvenient for you and you always want good sight I'd rather give myself a helmet light mod from creative menu instead of turning up brightness which looks ugly.

Being able to have good vision at night is one of the early game's struggles and part of the survival aspect. Have you ever tried to play without helmet light mod deliberately? I did and it is a worthwile experience. Only light sources that are designed inside POIs and flashlight / torch outside gives the game a completely new character. Much more scary, also more difficult and as the lighting was done very well by the devs the game looks much better as well at night /inside POIs if you as me. Only did that once with one of my savegames as the constant struggle for good vision gets also annoying eventually on the other hand.

Are you sure you want to be out at night early game? we have night bears and night wolves in the green biome, the desert biome they have high visibility, lumberjacks in the frozen biome, and vulture harassment in the wasteland biome: all of this BEFORE helmet lights. 

I mean sure the torch and the candles suck, but at least they do not burn out. 

On 1/28/2022 at 12:17 PM, Rince said:

If only our character would learn to dual wield. Maybe that could make the flashlights useful.

This should be a thing. Maybe limit it to one handed weapons and have an accuracy penalty for pistols? 

On 1/26/2022 at 10:54 AM, gurutar said:

Early survival shouldn't be about convenience imo.  We need progression up to the helmet light mod imo.

I'm sure some folks would even like light sources not lasting forever.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)