Traders should be open all night

Kage848

I can agree that customizing the trade hours would be a nice feature.  I mean it's your game, play it the way you want.  I don't think it should be open at night by default but I can get behind setting times.  People want different things.  People want a challenge, people want to keep the playing field fair, some people want to build and derp.  That's all fine but open at night by default I'd say no.  Customizable, yes.

There's no point in the devs wasting their time to add every single part of the game into the options. That's what mods are for. I don't wanna know that some other cool stuff got delayed or canned because someone had to spend precious time adding more game options that can be changed yourself in minutes.

No. I think being open at certain times makes playing around it more interesting.

I do think though that it would be cool if you could 'rent a room' at the trader for the night at increasing cost, no access to the trader but you can hide in their base for a fee. Make it part of the first quest in the game where you get board free for one night, but you cant stay there on the seventh day.

1 hour ago, bdubyah said:

There's no point in the devs wasting their time to add every single part of the game into the options. That's what mods are for. I don't wanna know that some other cool stuff got delayed or canned because someone had to spend precious time adding more game options that can be changed yourself in minutes.

I digress, if it can be modded by us in minutes, surely the devs can add it in with a slider within 3 hours max as lingering code is there from other sliders which can act as a rough template if needed.

I don't mind what they do, but that argument is redundant. They're not going to delay content because of a slider, they're gonna delay content for stuff that takes too long to implement or personal things. For instance, water and bandits as A21 will be the main focus of. (As far as we are currently concerned).

8 hours ago, Kage848 said:

388819768_unknown(1).png.64e8a5f90d4bf26eea3eaa4e352584a6.png

There are mods that do it, but I wouldn't mind an option within the game so I don't have to go through the hassle of getting a mod for it, or risking a mod breaking the game.

The first two things I mod out each alpha are Trader closing time and protection zone. This lets me keep my own schedule, and I really don't see any added gameplay value from traders closing. It's just a nuisance, and I can still see him standing there. Open the door, @%$#.

While I would love an option for this, lots of folks would like lots of options for lots of things, so I don't expect the devs to spend much time on it. It takes five minutes to do it myself.

Edited by Catdaddy (see edit history)

Nah, let them have some sleep. There is mods for that. And you can always spawn in a trader in your base without even needing a mod. 

Never felt the need for it. In fact it adds another small challenge often enough. Getting back in time to finish a quest. It´s a small time managment issue not worth any dev time tbh.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

Maybe when they implement the bandits they can remove the trader protection and give the traders some guards, like in DF.

I kinda like the idea of a 24 hs trader tavern where the post apocalyptic travellers, caravans and so stop and share a beverage, stories and pass the time.

15 hours ago, Slaasher said:

I'm sure there is a mod for that. 

It doesn't have my vote as a standard play option.

There used to be a mod for pipe pistols... but now I don't have to go through the hassle of creating a separate instance of 7D2D or swapping out mods. I'd vote for it even if I didn't use the customized hours myself.  The more flexibility we can give the users to enjoy their 7D2D experience - the better.  I find no reason to vote against it and deny anyone that choice.

I don't want a bloated UI for all the options that are people are asking for, especially for something that takes a few minutes to create a mod for.  If there is space for it, it wouldn't bother me; but if I have to go through tab after tab to setup my game, the frustration level would become higher.

17 hours ago, Kage848 said:

388819768_unknown(1).png.64e8a5f90d4bf26eea3eaa4e352584a6.png

If you were to say fall down between one of the corner towers and the outer wall of Trader Hugh's compound thus getting stuck in between with no way to nerdpole out then your only recourse would be to eat glass and die. With the trader closing you could simply wait to be teleported out.

Just to be clear, I was not the one who fell and got stuck. I'm the one who tossed glass down to the one who was stuck precisely because the 24/7 open trader mod was active on that server and we realized she was never going to get teleported out...lol

I would be more interested in the opposite where traders have shorter hours of operation and each trader has a different schedule (but still within daylight hours).

I would even go for each trader being closed some randomly chosen day of the week.

This would not only increase the need for time management, but you would also to have to adjust depending on where you happen to be.

I don't know... I just love when games can throw wrenches at my methodology.

3 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

I would be more interested in the opposite where traders have shorter hours of operation and each trader has a different schedule (but still within daylight hours).

I would even go for each trader being closed some randomly chosen day of the week.

This would not only increase the need for time management, but you would also to have to adjust depending on where you happen to be.

Haha nice.  I should make a mod for you where you could trip over any rock on the ground and break your arms and legs.  It would also fling you off vehicles and you could potentially break your back/neck.  That would REALLY throw some wrenches in your methodologies! Moar challenge!

In all seriousness though, I think the idea of this is to give players the ability to combat the slowdown that hits at nightfall.  With Kage being a streamer - I can see how this especially hits him.  There's more reward when you enter POIs for a quest than just randomly picking POIs therefore if you can keep questing throughout the night, then you have more incentive to go out looting at night rather than staying in and smelting/organizing your inventory.

4 hours ago, Roland said:

If you were to say fall down between one of the corner towers and the outer wall of Trader Hugh's compound thus getting stuck in between with no way to nerdpole out then your only recourse would be to eat glass and die. With the trader closing you could simply wait to be teleported out.

Just to be clear, I was not the one who fell and got stuck. I'm the one who tossed glass down to the one who was stuck precisely because the 24/7 open trader mod was active on that server and we realized she was never going to get teleported out...lol

Sounds like a bug in Trader Hugh's.  That does give me an idea of a potential compromise: you could limit the time in the trader at night to like a few minutes before being kicked out and can't re-enter until after a cooldown (When they're ready to look at your ugly mug again).

6 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Now that is an awesome idea. Love it.