Question about the upcoming outfit system

33 minutes ago, eXSe said:

Speaking of ingame attire... why isn't there chainmail armor like those shark suits?

That... that is going to be the legendary heavy armor. Needs to come in pink.

35 minutes ago, eXSe said:

Let me see a zambie scratch or bite me through this baby

Yes, cubes of steel plated concrete are so clearly so much weaker ... sorry :)

11 hours ago, eXSe said:

Speaking of ingame attire... why isn't there chainmail armor like those shark suits?

neptunic_suit_c1.jpg

Let me see a zambie scratch or bite me through this baby :)

Easy, since they can bite through steel.

Until you find some Unobtainium you will never be safe.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see theFlu already mentioned this. But at least I posted a solution.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

The full set buffs seem to be planned as very strong.

I see very bad things upcoming.

Every single player you will see in this game out of their base will wear the same fight and loot set. Optional sometimes when you are forced to, a radiation suit. Never see a other clothestyle again.

Mining will need the minerset, crafting the crafterset and so on.

Why should i wear anything else than the fight and loot set out there? I think this is in theory allready worse than classic leather weak but fast, iron strong but slow system.

Forced changing outfits sounds very horrorfull for me. The complete concept they have shown sounds horrible at all, its a best in slot mechanic.

No more diversity, everyone has always any clothset on their body, sounds awfull.

17 hours ago, playlessNamer said:

Why should i wear anything else than the fight and loot set out there? I think this is in theory allready worse than classic leather weak but fast, iron strong but slow system.

Forced changing outfits sounds very horrorfull for me. The complete concept they have shown sounds horrible at all, its a best in slot mechanic.

Nobody is forcing you to change outfits.  If you want to min max your game playing, that is the choice you are making.

I love how people make the choice to min max gaming, how they make the choice to switch out outfits just to get a small bonus; then complain that they are being “forced” to do the thing they choose to.

I am not too excited about the set bonuses and as of what I have seen I do not like the looks of it.

I would prefer something simple, less armor, more crafting armor protects less and occasional random bonuses for found clothing pieces.

Make crafting clothes and armor easy & cheap to learn. Don’t bother with levels for armor or make better armor cost far more resources and time to craft. Also accept that the clothing is going to clip on the model. Happens in nearly every game.

Seems like too much time is being spent on a change few are excited about.

3 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Seems like too much time is being spent on a change few are excited about.

They haven't gotten to it yet so other than concept drawings very little time has been spent.

Maybe that is still "too much" though...? ;)

Speaking of too much time spent....I think all this conjecture and worry about something that Madmole has only given general conceptual information about is what there is too much of. Most people heard that 8 clothing slots are being reduced to 4 and stopped listening at that point as their blood pressure overwhelmed them.  We really need to wait and see how it plays and since the feature won't be coming in A20 it may very well be a year out still-- if it ends up being implemented at all.

Worrying only makes you suffer twice.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Roland said:

They haven't gotten to it yet so other than concept drawings very little time has been spent.

Maybe that is still "too much" though...? ;)

Speaking of too much time spent....I think all this conjecture and worry about something that Madmole has only given general conceptual information about is what there is too much of. Most people heard that 8 clothing slots are being reduced to 4 and stopped listening at that point as their blood pressure overwhelmed them.  We really need to wait and see how it plays and since the feature won't be coming in A20 it may very well be a year out still-- if it ends up being implemented at all.

Worrying only makes you suffer twice.

Just going on it appears nobody likes the suggested change so why change it?

2 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Hello Outfits. Please let me introduce you to LBD. 

It’s their game and they design it to be what they want and not necessarily what popular opinion dictates. 

8 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Nobody is forcing you to change outfits.  If you want to min max your game playing, that is the choice you are making.

I love how people make the choice to min max gaming, how they make the choice to switch out outfits just to get a small bonus; then complain that they are being “forced” to do the thing they choose to.

If you have a tool that works for a task better, why use a tool that isn't the best for that task to do the task? I guess you could always keep nailing planks together using a rock instead of a hammer, but why?

Edit: You also need to take into consideration that most likely, as they do currently with magazines, any balancing that TFP does for the various perks will be based on having the full outfit, also very likely of the best quality possible, that benefits that perk including the full set bonuses. That in and of itself means that not using the gear if you have it will greatly hamper the player's capability in using those perks effectively.

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

How can you say nobody likes it?  I haven't even formed an opinion since it is not implemented yet.

Read the comments about it

24 minutes ago, Roland said:

Hello Outfits. Please let me introduce you to LBD. 

It’s their game and they design it to be what they want and not necessarily what popular opinion dictates. 

Adding a LBD would be epic attire to wear during a horde night. LBD, football helmet and sneakers. Total runway fashion zombie killing attire.

oops can’t do that with what has been proposed regarding clothing & sets.

29 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Edit: You also need to take into consideration that most likely [conjecture pulled from thin air], also very likely [more conjecture]. That in and of itself means that [conclusion drawn from conjecture].

Welp. I'm convinced that this thing that doesn't exist is horrible, based on this indisputable new information.

Completely unrelated: I wonder if doctors even need these any more?

image.png.06dba9005c514ad48eed59095c30553e.png

4 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Outfits in general isn't a bad idea.  Set bonuses are cool and many other games out there have implemented similar systems that are fun (i.e. Diablo 2).  Too early to form a bad opinion on it.

The clothing system currently is not that very deep so I think its nice they want to improve it.  *shrugs*

41 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Welp. I'm convinced that this thing that doesn't exist is horrible, based on this indisputable new information.

Completely unrelated: I wonder if doctors even need these any more?

image.png.06dba9005c514ad48eed59095c30553e.png

And how exactly are they basing the Stun Baton's balance again? Oh ya, with both the charge rate and repulsor magazines having been found. I'm used to dismissive @%$#ry from the moderators, but it's new coming from you.

the issue isn't the idea of set bonuses, its more the issue with accessorizing in general. and the options that are presented. 

lets look at what we currently have. lets say you start out the game, find some decent leather armour and some clothes. jeans and a tank top for example. so, if your a stealth player, surely that look will be lost because cloth armour is better for stealth right? but, no, mods can aleviate the negative bonuses on the leather/any light armour and help make your look still viable. i know in the end game since i tend to enjoy military looks more, i muffle military clothing so i can make it work if i do a stealth build. but nothing stops players from useing leather in a similar fashion, tierd system be damed. 

(dont get me started on the fukin tierd system, i could talk your ear off on why thats a bad idea for armour and firearms. less so a argument for melee and bows) 

this new system by putting it to a 4 peice system (if they realy are going with this idea.) means getting rid of a ton of the peices in place, and limiting the freedoms people can have with how they look. it doesnt matter if its a first person video game, how you can distinguish yourself from others does make a difference to many people. your welcome to say, only the midmaxers would care, but players are still going to take advantage of what they can. hell, look at the glitch bases that exist for example to see how many people wana exploit the game. 

HOWEVER. i will say this now. a way the tierd system COULD work, is simply putting bonuses on items that already exist. For example, jeans and tank top could be two peices of the farmer tier. cowboy boots as the cowboy hat as a fourth. not only is the cowboy hat a mod, allowing you to still get the positive from the armor you selected, but it could then provide a passive bonus on stuff you were going to equip anyway. 

a evolution of the current system in place. instead of a dubbing down and removal of what exists. 

side note roland, if the fun pimps put out a idea, such ideas should be questioned and thought about. after all isnt that the point of EA? to help the game develop? 

I’m interested in what the new armor sets are going to bring to the table and it looks like the intent for the set bonuses is to help support playstyles the player had already chosen, not force a player into one.

That being said, i’m not entirely certain that set bonuses are the right direction to take the armor system, at least as they being conceived as of the last time we heard about it.

But i also doubt the system looks the same as it did in the announcement, i think we’d have heard more about it at this point if it was going to be exactly like the announcement.

Regardless i trust TFP to make the new armor system a blast to use and give players interesting options.

12 hours ago, hiemfire said:

And how exactly are they basing the Stun Baton's balance again? Oh ya, with both the charge rate and repulsor magazines having been found. I'm used to dismissive @%$#ry from the moderators, but it's new coming from you.

I'm not sure the repulsor is really helping, it is just fun throwing the zombies around. But effectively it makes you loose time to run after zombies that you want to pummel into the ground.

Secondly, I haven't seen TFP themselves talk in detail about stun baton balance, so where did they specify charge rate and repulsor as included? Possibly I have forgotten it, please provide a link if you have one.

30 minutes ago, playlessNamer said:

I was so 100% sure the first comment will be exactly this.

Because there is a kernel of truth in it? If TFP makes the set bonus so strong that everyone wants to have it, then yes, everyone will be switching sets like crazy. And because TFP likes to simply turn the balance dial to an extreme and then turn it back until the uproar and drama has died down this is even a likely scenario for the first few experimentals.

But in that case it is very probably that TFP will watch telemetry for signs of players constantly switching or using only one set and when 80% of players do this they have shown to do ANY measure however drastic to correct that (see the famous axe crafting grind of a15/a16). Toning down the set bonus until players generally don't switch anymore is not rocket science, a chimp can do that if he gets the data.

And there is the possibility they immediately find a setting for the armor that does not induce everyone to switch sets. Similar to the book bonuses. The books provided bonuses that did not seem OP, their balance was good (not perfect, but good) from the get-go.

So while it is perfectly fine to look at THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN, one should keep the whole range of possibilites in view and not simply assume the worst WILL happen.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)