OCD Base Builder Poll and Support Group

Boidster

Base Building OCD Spectrum Poll  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What level of OCD do you apply to your HOME base in 7D2D?

• None at all, because I play nomad-style and "bases" are for carebears
    • None at all - I use existing POIs and throw my stuff wherever it fits and add few if any defenses
    • Some - I will clear out POI interiors somewhat, remove junk, put my stuff away neatly in chests, upgrade some blocks & set some traps (in case of screamer/random horde)
    • Significant - I choose a POI or build a base with a clear plan; junk removed, blocks upgraded, defenses are logical, chests are labeled, lighting is good, vehicles have parking area
    • Maximum - Everything under 'Signifcant' plus my interior design is coordinated; I use potted plants, tables/chairs, etc.; vehicles may have parking space in an underground garage
    • Plaid - My home base exactly matches the layout and aesthetic of an actual home or castle IRL
  2. 2. What level of OCD do you apply to your HORDE base in 7D2D

• None - I fight the horde on the ground because, again, not a carebear
    • None - I take over a POI, build a simple platform, or dig a tunnel and throw traps wherever; function over form
    • Some - I choose POIs with some thought, or build simple but logical bases; traps and lighting may be haphazard, but they work more or less; interior of base is utilitarian
    • Significant - I know which POIs I like, or base design I want; blocks and traps are set according to a general plan, but adjustments may be made; interior is neat and organized; exterior and interior lights placed with purpose
    • Maximum - As with 'Significant', but there is a plan for every block, trap, and light and I stick to it - mistakes are destroyed and fixed, not worked around; base may be painted
    • Plaid - If my meticulously-designed base allows a single zombie breach, I encase it entirely in cement as a monument to my failure.

I don't fit any of those in either set.  I usually start with a POI and eventually build a new base in the countryside.  I always play with no loot respawn so cleaning things up as I go is just part of playing for me.  I always destroy trash piles and anything else unpleasant in and around POIs I loot.

One of these days I will play Navesgane and completely clean up a town with full repairs and such on all houses.  Probably off topic but it is a little OCD.  :p

I also will use one POI as a crafting base and then use another random POI to survive each horde night until I get my crafted horde base ready.  I usually find myself with about 2 game hours to go find a place to tackle the horde (for the first few at least).  It doesn't always work out the best but I find survival pretty easy at least through the mid game.

22 minutes ago, Sakurambo said:

this poll miss an option for those who build only one base like me

Well, how OCD are you for the "home" portion, and how OCD are you for the "horde" portion? You could have a very nice living/working space with a jumbled field of iron spikes as "horde defense". Or you could live in a bare concrete bunker, with a carefully patterned horde trap system, impenetrable to even a wave of 100% demolishers. Or you could live in an elaborate and ornate castle with hidden precision defenses gracefully worked into the architecture!

On this one I'm a bit of both extremes. For the home base, hardcore maximum-tier OCD (but not quite plaid). All must be perfect. If zombies damage anything it shall be repaired thus sayeth the 7D2D God(s) [true story, I'll tear out a layer of wall to repair a damaged block behind it]. Home base will feature interior decorating, fluff items, pointless rooms that are there just because they look purty, rigorously organized inventory rooms, etc. Not only do vehicles have a garage, they must be lined up neatly in the garage and have their own designated spaces. Oh and please don't walk on the grass in the rooftop arboretum.

Now the horde base on the other hand, polar opposite. Haphazard placements, hurried POI-takeovers, nerdpoles, holes and trenches in the ground that would pass for the aftermath of a WW1 battlefield, damaged stuff everywhere, abandoned storage, a trail of dead mes and dead friends (but even more dead zombies, usually), basically just chaos. I used to apply the principles of home base to horde base, but with the settings we play the game on and our play-style it's just too time consuming to try to keep the white gloves out for the horde base. Unsurprisingly horde nights are less stressful for me most of the time. 🤪

I'm 'Significant' on both, though early-game of course I can only be 'Some' OCD due to lack of resources. But the final base has significant OCD aspects. I've been known to dig up POI concrete with the little "trash" texture on it (not the real trash, the painted-on stuff) so I can replace it with clean concrete. Of course you can't just do that to one block in the parking lot soooo...out goes the entire parking lot. That only happens after I've got an auger, though. I mean, I'm not crazy. I don't think we've ever put down a potted plant for decoration, or used farm plots as "flower beds". I'm not against the idea though.

Horde base is usually either a fairly neat standard platform/iron bars thing, or a base design yoinked from here or YouTube. We will try to be pretty consistent with trap placement and we'll have nice electrical lights and secret entrances or bridges for escape routes. I am pretty OCD about hiding the wires. The little dealio in No Man's Sky which let you hide wiring was like mana from heaven to me. Wire it up all crazy and then >plonk< all gone.

I'm maximum.  I might take some snapshots when I get my base done.  Right now, I took one of the demolished buildings and building it up to my base / horde base.  I am on Day 36 so still got a lot of work to do.  Painting is not done until I get the blocks upgraded as much as I want them so I don't have to repaint every time I upgrade the block.

Right now I am reinforcing my landing pad for the gyrocopter so I can paint it.  I have yet to finish the interior design (I am still sleeping on my sleeping bag in the main room).  I also need to try and route my wiring better so the wires are not as noticeable but I am getting there.

If those zombies would stop showing up every 7 nights, I could get more done.  😁

1. Significant. Lop the roof off the top floor for a farm, Every work station has a dedicated room with dedicated storage, 1 or more elevated towers (really just "bird cages" on top of tall "sticks" built vertically from a structural wall of the building) for overwatch during "heat" intensive processing session to deal with screamers, wall or trench surrounding the main living area and a carport connected by a catwalk over the wall or trench.

2. Play with Blood Moons turned off (wife and I don't like having a deadline countdown for our relaxation play) but I had to select something here for the first to be applied, so I chose the second option which fits the closest we've come to dealing with a Blood Moon horde. That was us doing a dumb and clearing the apartment building in Gravestown (the town in the Wasteland on Navezgane) at night without silencers. Instant respawn of the wandering zombies + multiple screamer hordes due to the "heat" cycling = unending stream of nasties of every type except Demolishers till dawn. She was @%$#ed....

Is this a new trend to ask people how much they OCD? *lol*

For homebase i'm interested in making it looking nice. Do cleanups and put decoration and so on.

For horde base, i build a functional base and don't give a @%$# about how it looks like.

Imho the D in OCD already tells what's it about, if people put effort in looks of something that doesn't have have a value :D

33 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

if people put effort in looks of something that doesn't have have a value

Hmm.. it's a game, which kinda means it has no value as is, other than to spend one's time. None of the effort has real value, so it allows for people's other quirks to emerge.

For the poll itself, I'll refrain from answering.. for me these are pretty much the main decisions I make intentionally over a game, or already when starting one; they'll make for very different experience, so it gives nice variety (with possible difficulty slider adjustments of course)

3 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Hmm.. it's a game, which kinda means it has no value as is, other than to spend one's time. None of the effort has real value, so it allows for people's other quirks to emerge.

Basically same as in real life: You want it pretty where you spend (leisure) time. You don't put effort on places where you just have to spend time for a reason.

Do real miners plasters the walls of their mine and put up pictures there, just to make it look nice? Why don't anybody do this?

I’m at best some. I tried being significant once and abandoned things halfway through after getting bored. 

Even with Valheim, with all its ways to decorate the base— the closer to significance I get, the more like Icarus I feel....

10 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Basically same as in real life: You want it pretty where you spend (leisure) time. You don't put effort on places where you just have to spend time for a reason.

Do real miners plasters the walls of their mine and put up pictures there, just to make it look nice? Why don't anybody do this?

Basically, sure, although the place I spend my leisure time can't be called "pretty" by most standards :) The places I work I at, I at least try to keep orderly, but that's for quality of life for the work at hand.

I wanted to go with maximum for both, but reality is that my horde base usually ends up being a general design that I usually don't then work anymore. Only adding some extra electrical traps once I have the resources. Meanwhile, with my home it always ends in later days becoming more organized to the point where I have specific rooms set-up. Like an actual kitchen area, bedroom, work/ forge area, etc.

10 hours ago, playlessNamer said:

Missing answer on 2:

my base is my horde base. I never build it separated.

And yet, you could be very...meticulous...in the 'home' portion, but haphazard with the horde-defense portion. Or vice-versa! Or you could have a perfectly-designed home which also has a carefully designed horde-trap built into it. Home base and Horde base are concepts; sure they can be the same physical structure!

23 hours ago, Roland said:

Even with Valheim, with all its ways to decorate the base— the closer to significance I get, the more like Icarus I feel....

I need to try that game. Lots of buzz and it sounds right up my alley.

Question 1)  Pretty accurately describes my main base.

Question 2)  No good option for the horde base/night.  Usually either isolate on a building until it is destroyed or simply run away from the horde and kill them at Dawn.  I've decided the risk/material cost greatly outweighs the reward for fighting the horde night for how frequent it is and how the zombies spawn nonstop.  Numerous bases have failed or proven too costly to continuously repair/remake ammo.   So my best course of action is just to avoid it.

Horde base I build I am OCD about it, have to be otherwise it doesn't work at all.

If I take over a POI (like the junkyard), then meh. fix up a few things, but it's considered disposable.  😛

Home base tends to just be functional nowadays. I have gone completely overboard on a home base (A16 in particular), but,

have done the Red Tower of Doom.  (that sucker took forever)   I may do another one. (keep thinking I wanna do the Red Fist of Doom,

so would need 4 smallish towers and just 1 tall one...  heh-heh)

with Mischief Maker even with safe zones, not much point in doing a super fancy base.  (and restarting far more often now)

Archived