A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

4 hours ago, Blake_ said:

No worries. The jeep can do that as long as there's nobody inside. When you enter again the code forces it to stay in the correct position. So you can do crazy things with the vehicles if you exit them in the precise moment. Lots of fun actually but only if you do that to others lol.

How it happened with me is I drove over the zombie, exited the vehicle, and stood back and watch. So it's not as difficult to replicate as it first sounds.

9 hours ago, Xtracker said:

So basic what i learned of 26 pages is that character overhaul won't be in A20 but why.. is so much to re-code ? or something is not on top priority ?

@faatal or @madmole can you say something why it is canceled for now i will appreciate every info.

In addition to code changes, they have to do an entirely new set of character models, clothing models, textures, etc. and put it all together into something that is going to replace the current (third-party) UMA system. So, even leaving programming aside, it's a hell of a lot of work. My guess is probably 10x the work that the new weapons require.

p.s. Pretty sure MechanicalLens is messing with you. That's hard to recognize if you aren't a native English speaker.

5 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

In addition to code changes, they have to do an entirely new set of character models, clothing models, textures, etc. and put it all together into something that is going to replace the current (third-party) UMA system. So, even leaving programming aside, it's a hell of a lot of work. My guess is probably 10x the work that the new weapons require.

p.s. Pretty sure MechanicalLens is messing with you. That's hard to recognize if you aren't a native English speaker.

I'm not convinced and I'm a native speaker. WIth the downvote on the guy's mea culpa added into the mix I'm pretty sure Mech was not "just joking".

Who downvotes an obviously sincere apology....?

Please say in gold there is an end game.  The one thing this game is missing is a sense of purpose.  Why am I building, fighting, what is the purpose.  after day 30, I usually stop, cause what's the point.  the fear is gone, the need is gone.  there is nothing keeping me moving forward.  There has to be that drive in order for this game to be truly great.  Velhiem 3 million in 3 weeks, why?  its not that pretty, its not that feature rich.  So what does it have.  It has purpose, and moving to a goal, better gear, to fight the next challenge.  & 7 needs that desperately!  Please I love this game, no doubt one of my all time favorites, but....

33 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

That's not for those kind of weapons, it's a Club/Sledge thing AFAIK.

Yeah, I am not sure.  I thought it worked when you get a physical melee kill with anything though. 

I wonder if flurry of blows works with knife bleed damage.  Probably not.  That would be cool, although not as optimal in my build. 

I might try and test it later if I get a chance. 

40 minutes ago, CypherTodd said:

Please say in gold there is an end game.  The one thing this game is missing is a sense of purpose.  Why am I building, fighting, what is the purpose.  after day 30, I usually stop, cause what's the point.  the fear is gone, the need is gone.  there is nothing keeping me moving forward.  There has to be that drive in order for this game to be truly great.  Velhiem 3 million in 3 weeks, why?  its not that pretty, its not that feature rich.  So what does it have.  It has purpose, and moving to a goal, better gear, to fight the next challenge.  & 7 needs that desperately!  Please I love this game, no doubt one of my all time favorites, but....

The survival is purpose.  It is not games' fault if you can not be entertained if game isn't a theme park. How can you call it your "favourite game"  when you hate its very basics. There are tons of game with "no purpose". Look at WoW. League of Legends. Cities: Skylines. They are all popular.

4 hours ago, CypherTodd said:

This game is a sandbox, so no purpose is provided since you set your own goals.

That being said TFP will be adding a story, before gold, that is staged in the Navezgane map, where you complete a chain of quests.

If you progress to the end you can either try killing The Duke (bad guy) or try killing Noah (good guy). Then you're on your own like now after that. :nod:

6 hours ago, CypherTodd said:

Velhiem 3 million in 3 weeks, why?

The developers are aware of and impressed by Valheim. There is definitely some inspiration to be found there for them to possibly think about for a sequel-- but 7 Days to Die is what it is. It's practically done. There are some additional features still in the works including an over-arching goal regarding Noah vs the Duke. But no matter how cool Valheim is or what amazing innovative features emerge in the next few months in some other new release, it isn't going to affect this game very much. But Valheim definitely is inspirational in what it does well and any development studio should take notice and spend time talking about why it has skyrocketed like it has.

7 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

That's not for those kind of weapons, it's a Club/Sledge thing AFAIK.

<effect_group>
            <requirement name="ItemHasTags" tags="melee"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfKilledOther" action="ModifyStats" stat="Stamina" operation="add" value="10">
                <requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkSexualTrex" operation="Equals" value="2"/>
            </triggered_effect>
            <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfKilledOther" action="ModifyStats" stat="Stamina" operation="add" value="20">
                <requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkSexualTrex" operation="Equals" value="3"/>
            </triggered_effect>
            <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfKilledOther" action="ModifyStats" stat="Stamina" operation="add" value="30">
                <requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkSexualTrex" operation="Equals" value="4"/>
            </triggered_effect>

Nope, the only requirement is that you use a melee weapon.

52 minutes ago, Roland said:

The developers are aware of and impressed by Valheim. There is definitely some inspiration to be found there for them to possibly think about for a sequel-- but 7 Days to Die is what it is. It's practically done. There are some additional features still in the works including an over-arching goal regarding Noah vs the Duke. But no matter how cool Valheim is or what amazing innovative features emerge in the next few months in some other new release, it isn't going to affect this game very much. But Valheim definitely is inspirational in what it does well and any development studio should take notice and spend time talking about why it has skyrocketed like it has.

Ya, we all know MM wants to go with less or no destructible ground, and more simple rust style building, while keeping the same options, for 7days 2. 

That way, he can put more crap into the game and have the option for rust style pvp if he wants... or pvpve. 

Speaking of bleed damage, wasn't that supposed to be getting a major buff / rework in A20? I recall Mad Mole talking about wanting to make status effects more important for players and I think also mentioned it applying to the machete line to make them more appealing. ATM from all the tests I've run, machete is one of the worst weapons in the game just because it can't really compete with a club or sledge in any real situation. Even for hit and run you can just use a fire mod on a better weapon and bonk them

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)

56 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Speaking of bleed damage, wasn't that supposed to be getting a major buff / rework in A20? I recall Mad Mole talking about wanting to make status effects more important for players and I think also mentioned it applying to the machete line to make them more appealing. ATM from all the tests I've run, machete is one of the worst weapons in the game just because it can't really compete with a club or sledge in any real situation. Even for hit and run you can just use a fire mod on a better weapon and bonk them

I remember talk about status effects too, but not about bleed. It was so zombies all have specific effects, not give effects all over the map.

When comparing to club/sledge ALL other melee weapons look bad. This may even be intentional to make strength the novice perk tree in release version. If not the only sensible way out is to nerf club/sledge

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, VooDoo said:

i remember reading or maybe one of the videos..  that the traders will only have one category per trader..

like jen will just have the items to first aid..

joel will have weapons

Not exclusively. Jen will be specialized on meds but will also have (less) stuff from other categories.

4 hours ago, Khalagar said:

I found specializing in knives and the machete with the right mods works fine.  You just can’t fight the same way you would with the club and sledge.

6 hours ago, meganoth said:

I remember talk about status effects too, but not about bleed. It was so zombies all have specific effects, not give effects all over the map.

When comparing to club/sledge ALL other melee weapons look bad. This may even be intentional to make strength the novice perk tree in release version. If not the only sensible way out is to nerf club/sledge

Yeah, although playing on insane/nightmare/64zeds/horde every night, the knife really shines. 

In the harder modes,  you are more likely to actually let the bleed damage take effect to take advantage of the damage.  Plus the bone knife stamina is really cheap and there is a slow effect on bleed. 

Although, later on, the sledge might really good in the harder modes as well.  I have been meaning to test it, heh. 

On 2/19/2021 at 7:03 AM, Xtracker said:

So basic what i learned of 26 pages is that character overhaul won't be in A20 but why.. is so much to re-code ? or something is not on top priority ?

@faatal or @madmole can you say something why it is canceled for now i will appreciate every info.

Its because the team is overloaded with things to do and they need more Fatals to get it all done in time. It takes quite a lot more than people realize to make a game. Its very stressful.

5 hours ago, pregnable said:

In the harder modes,  you are more likely to actually let the bleed damage take effect to take advantage of the damage.  Plus the bone knife stamina is really cheap and there is a slow effect on bleed. 

I actually did my tests on the second hardest difficulty with zombies that sprinted, and that was where the knife did the worst of all lol

You basically have to rely on stun above all else when you are being chased by 2-3 irradiated ferals that are sprinting, and the DoT bleed seems. . . quite low. I'm not even sure how much damage it does as it takes so long to actually kill them it was hard to really notice. The Club is second best to Junk Sledges on the higher difficulty just because of knock back / stun + the club doing so much more damage to stunned targets and re-knocking them down etc

Machete is fun but from my testing it basically always came in second to last in basically every type of test, beating only the Spear which performed drastically worse than I expected. Even for hit and run, just putting a barbed wire mod on a club and bonking and kiting them just kind of outclasses the machete in it's own role lol

42 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

I actually did my tests on the second hardest difficulty with zombies that sprinted, and that was where the knife did the worst of all lol

You basically have to rely on stun above all else when you are being chased by 2-3 irradiated ferals that are sprinting, and the DoT bleed seems. . . quite low. I'm not even sure how much damage it does as it takes so long to actually kill them it was hard to really notice. The Club is second best to Junk Sledges on the higher difficulty just because of knock back / stun + the club doing so much more damage to stunned targets and re-knocking them down etc

Machete is fun but from my testing it basically always came in second to last in basically every type of test, beating only the Spear which performed drastically worse than I expected. Even for hit and run, just putting a barbed wire mod on a club and bonking and kiting them just kind of outclasses the machete in it's own role lol

I am sure, but that is not how I use the knife.  I think a T6 bone shiv power attack to the head, on insane mode, will kill most of the weaker zombies, after the bleed damage is figured.  2 power attacks + bleed is enough to kill some of the others... probably not the fat ones.  It has been a while since I tested it. 

I play on insane/always nightmare run speed/64 zombies/horde every night and perma death. 

So early on, I can conserve stamina, and just drop zombies with a few power attacks, since the stamina cost of the bone shiv is low. 

When the horde shows up every night, I stab them a bunch of my bone shiv, then repair my base as they bleed to death. 

I have thought about trying the sledge later on though, since it might still 1 shot them and knock the rest down, giving me more time to repair and them less time to damage my base. 

I always 1 point the knife at the start though, for that day 1 dps for almost no stamina.  If they want to buff it though, I will certainly not complain heh. 

On 2/18/2021 at 11:34 AM, SnowDog1942 said:

I think sub biomes will be where the bohemeth lives, if you catch my drift.

*sad Behemoth sounds*

On 2/20/2021 at 2:24 AM, Matt said:

And the only way to get there will be on the zip line.

the land where fur was a thing, night vision goggles are cool and don't deep fry my eyes, The old zombie models, LBD and and soon the old armor will go.

Over the rainbow zipline :(