A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

On 9/11/2021 at 7:39 AM, Roland said:

The devs are not ignoring those who want FOV increased. They fully considered the request and did add a slider to the video options menu to allow you to increase it beyond the default value. The current cap is in place for two reasons that they have stated: 1) If they increase it more then the occlusion feature of the game that helps performance would become visible on the periphery of the screen. You would see trees and other world features popping in and out of existing as you turned. This is a technical limitation that has a lot to do with the voxel nature of the world compared to the static nature of the world of non-voxel games where players can turn the FOV up so far they can see behind them at the same time as in front of them. 2) They are opposed to ultra wide FOV that some users like to employ because it makes the game look fisheyed and bad and is often abused in competitive play.

So, its kind of a combination of can't and don't want to. I suggest turning the slider up as far as it can go and then adjust your viewing distance with the screen.

It sounds like he was talking about the FOV of hand held items. Some games have separate sliders for that. Or hand held item FOV will change with the FOV slider.

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

They could ... lots of things. Not saying it can't happen, but they want to finish and anything redundant has an uphill battle to fight against things already on their priority task list.

So the tier list of pistols goes -> Pipe Pistol -> M9 -> SMG?

And the explosive weapon list goes -> Pipe Bomb? -> HE grenade? -> Rocker launcher?

Maybe it's just me, but it's a bit strange for throw-able grenades to be in the same tier list as a rocket launcher.

More crazy and some reasonable ideas.

Depleted uranium ammo, more mass equals more recoil and higher kinetic energy.

What about some anti-tank rocket launcher ammo, possibly depleted uranium...

How about incendiary grenade launcher ammo, and HE incendiary grenades, yeah right...

Oh and don't forget to add a Fallout style mini nuke launcher.

16 minutes ago, jeromeN7 said:

And the explosive weapon list goes -> Pipe Bomb? -> HE grenade? -> Rocker launcher?

Maybe it's just me, but it's a bit strange for throw-able grenades to be in the same tier list as a rocket launcher.

How about incendiary grenade launcher ammo, and HE incendiary grenades, yeah right...

Pistols: Pipe Pistol -> Pisto l-> SMG+Magnum -> Desert Vulture  . Pistols actually have one more weapon than most others

explosive weapons has two types of grenades (the brown and the red ones, forgot the names). Rocket launcher just mechanises the throw, so definitely an upgrade, but the explosion is not too different from a grenade, right? 😉

2 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

I think Madmole mentioned during the stream about needing to update POI's. Is that just for the blocks or also for RWG since you folks are using a new system? Anything you can share on that or is it hush-hush until later? (totally understand if it is)

I think youre right, I think he also mentioned a tool to help?

2 hours ago, Naz said:

I tried to keep the traditional overclock methods alive for my 5950x, but the best i could do was worse than stock😄. So i had to adapt to the more modern tuning the frequency curve of the boost algorithm route. Got much better results 5-15% more performance. I mean it's nice modern hardware is already tuned near it's maximum potential out of the box, but i'll miss the satisfaction of making it run better and knowing i'm getting everything it's got out of it😂

Pretty cool how AMD allows you to modify just about anything, sort of nice and also disappointing that changing stuff doesn’t really do anything.

I had a similar experience as you with over clocking my 3800X

7 hours ago, jeromeN7 said:

I believe that any explosive weapon in the game should be very much weakened, it should either do much more damage to blocks (not 5), or do much weaker damage to zeds, or should become very expensive. The best thing is it all at once. The presence of super strong and cheap pipe bombs breaks the game completely

Edited by bachgaman (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Yeah! Something like this:

They could add a grenade launcher as a Tier 3 explosives weapon... :cool2:

na add a 4 barreled launcher

1: flamethrower
2: Grenade launcher
3: RPG

58 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

I believe that any explosive weapon in the game should be very much weakened, it should either do much more damage to blocks (not 5), or do much weaker damage to zeds, or should become very expensive. The best thing is it all at once. The presence of super strong and cheap pipe bombs breaks the game completely

i mean grenades makes sense because its the fragmentation that kills you. Not the explosion, same for pipe bombs, TNT is deadly due to the amount of gunpowder and because of that it could blow a hole in your wall. Hell it was for mining before people found out you can throw it at people. 

and for me i hate using pipe bombs, i go for Molotovs or Frags (TNT if im feeling risky or bored).  

Impact grenades are cool but at times i forget they are..... impact and i end up with no legs

I uses the RPG but only frag rounds, cuz i don't have anything big enough (aside from bears) to uses HE. 

4 hours ago, Khalagar said:

I'm finally caught up on everything, and wow A20 is looking amazing!!

I know you guys really want extremely complicated to implement feature suggestions, so if you guys are really really bored while working on terrain generation, expanding on the underground generation at some point would be really cool. A cave system generator  might be a bit too taxing, but a "spawner nest" that spawns near areas with too much heat on the heatmap and spams out zombies forcing you to go clear the nest would be pretty neat. There could be quests for it too, where a trader sends you to go clear a tunnel complex full of strong zombies to reach the "core"

Sure, zombies spawning out of a nest may not make sense to zombie fanatics, but who cares about the babies crying about muh lore breaking burnt zombies and zombie spawners.

Btw zombie nest can be logical and have lore : in Days gone - zombie are sleeping in nest because well they are living creatures and more similiar to mutants but no spoilers here.  In Dying light + the following you have zombie nest too. Zombies are evolving there and they hate sun. This is even expanded in dying light 2.

"who cares"? Well a lot of people? there is a lot of channels on yt about theories and lore in days gone, l4d2 , call of duty zombies etc.  Well even a lot of players buy cod only to learn what will happens in zombie story. So yeah lore means a lot - in l4d2 you can find a lot of hints and clues what is going on if you want to find. 

Well about crying babes you probably making refrence to my post : okay - in the past you have screams, random crying as ambient. And 7dtd looks more like f.e.a.r, silent hill, painkiller or no more room in hell mixed with minecraft ( it was 2013 - 2015).  So i expect it will be lower horror sandbox with similiar setting to this game - rotting corpses everywhere, heavy destroyed places with some hint about lore. And i think a lot of people want to be added lore to this game

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

Btw zombie nest can be logical and have lore : in Days gone - zombie are sleeping in nest because well they are living creatures and more similiar to mutants but no spoilers here.  In Dying light + the following you have zombie nest too. Zombies are evolving there and they hate sun. This is even expanded in dying light 2.

"who cares"? Well a lot of people? there is a lot of channels on yt about theories and lore in days gone, l4d2 , call of duty zombies etc.  Well even a lot of players buy cod only to learn what will happens in zombie story. So yeah lore means a lot - in l4d2 you can find a lot of hints and clues what is going on if you want to find. 

Well about crying babes you probably making refrence to my post : okay - in the past you have screams, random crying as ambient. And 7dtd looks more like f.e.a.r, silent hill, painkiller or no more room in hell mixed with minecraft ( it was 2013 - 2015).  So i expect it will be lower horror sandbox with similiar setting to this game - rotting corpses everywhere, heavy destroyed places with some hint about lore. And i think a lot of people want to be added lore to this game

True, but it really doesn't matter what the lore is in these other games.  What matters is what the lore that Joel and Rick establish for 7 Days to Die as this is their story that they are creating.  When they set out to create this game, it was their vision on what they wanted, so naturally the lore is going to be driven by them.  So you will see elements in their vision that is not in the vision of other zombie lore creators....and there is nothing wrong with that.  They also have mentioned in the past that the current information in the game is simply placeholders for now and the intent is to flesh out the lore before final release (now that it is getting closer).  Prior to that, the priorities have been the various aspects of the game related to gameplay.

But the nice thing is, mod creators can change the lore based on their vision.  There are several overhaul mods out there now where the creator said "This is my vision and here is the way I am modding the game to demonstrate that."  Even those of us with minor modding skills can make changes and affect the vision of the game.

2 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

True, but it really doesn't matter what the lore is in these other games.  What matters is what the lore that Joel and Rick establish for 7 Days to Die as this is their story that they are creating.  When they set out to create this game, it was their vision on what they wanted, so naturally the lore is going to be driven by them.  So you will see elements in their vision that is not in the vision of other zombie lore creators....and there is nothing wrong with that.  They also have mentioned in the past that the current information in the game is simply placeholders for now and the intent is to flesh out the lore before final release (now that it is getting closer).  Prior to that, the priorities have been the various aspects of the game related to gameplay.

But the nice thing is, mod creators can change the lore based on their vision.  There are several overhaul mods out there now where the creator said "This is my vision and here is the way I am modding the game to demonstrate that."  Even those of us with minor modding skills can make changes and affect the vision of the game.

My point was : people care about lore in games. @Khalagar wrote people doesn't care and that is not true. we don't know what we will get but know we will get something. He wrote that  zombies fanatics will hate nest and i wrote why nest can work giving example from diffrent games. Honestly cod WaW on zombie is poor of gameplay but have so good lore. Cod cw have intresting and expended gameplay but lore just go wrong and this with every updated give my vibe of asian game when they added everything because why not

3 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

While I like the idea of a zombie nests that idea it is not feasible in the game as of now. The game has trouble handling more than 20-something zombies on screen at once. Great idea and maybe it can be in the next game.

it can work but it need to use screamers and fat cop to be hard

5 minutes ago, Morloc said:

Whatever floats your boat.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

what ever  : why i'm ever trying to write solution or idea how something can work. We will get new RWG so caves could be addes in A21 for example- so @Khalagar idea is not bad and quiet realistic.  But what with "technical" stuff. okay it can be done in few ways - 1. sleep screamer in every "part" of cave system. 2. a lot of hard zombies so it will long to finish.  Simple advises. I don't want to be rude but you comment add nothing to this. Ofc TFP can do this in 12421 ways - but you what that charger from l4d2 was create by some guy on forum and devs use this idea? i would give a lot of examples but whatever.  i honestly loose a point to write out because i will only get 2 dislike and 1 comment. i'm just feel too much tired

5 minutes ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

Going to repeat an earlier question that I don't believe was answered. Are rebar frames gone in A20?

Building with concrete now eliminates the need for them. Since concrete no longer upgrades to reinforced concrete. Why would you want to make concrete AND rebar frames when only the concrete is needed?

1 hour ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

If so, I am not a fan of this change.

At this point I'd just wait for them to cover the topic explicitly in a video, before getting worked up. They've pretty clearly done a lot of revamping on the building system as a whole, so A20 will very likely change the process entirely and be rebuilt and rebalanced from the ground up for the new system

38 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

At this point I'd just wait for them to cover the topic explicitly in a video, before getting worked up. They've pretty clearly done a lot of revamping on the building system as a whole, so A20 will very likely change the process entirely and be rebuilt and rebalanced from the ground up for the new system

precisely and i answered the same question earlier either here or different thread. no more need for rebar and the only rebar i have seen in game (thus far in a20), is the ones sticking out of broken decorative blocks.

if you have the resource to make blocks respectively wood, cobblestone, cement mix and steel. you can make the block without the need to start at wood and then upgrading.

EXAMPLE: one cobblestone block (or shape you desire) 10 cobblestone or if you can make steel blocks (or desired shapes), you need 10 steel bars. cant be no simpler IF you learned the skill/perk.

seriously, there is no need to unless you wanted to and thats to use frames as the shape menu makes it easier then boiling water (for most)

:)

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

precisely and i answered the same question earlier either here or different thread. no more need for rebar and the only rebar i have seen in game (thus far in a20), is the ones sticking out of broken decorative blocks.

if you have the resource to make blocks respectively wood, cobblestone, cement mix and steel. you can make the block without the need to start at wood and then upgrading.

EXAMPLE: one cobblestone block (or shape you desire) 10 cobblestone or if you can make steel blocks (or desired shapes), you need 10 steel bars. cant be no simpler IF you learned the skill/perk.

seriously, there is no need to unless you wanted to and thats to use frames as the shape menu makes it easier then boiling water (for most)

:)

In my mind the issue isn't about the upgrade path. The advantage of rebar frames was that you could pick them back up if you made a mistake.

1 minute ago, jorbascrumps said:

In my mind the issue isn't about the upgrade path. The advantage of rebar frames was that you could pick them back up if you made a mistake.

you can still make the frames (and the frames can be any shape you pick in the shape menu) .. just no more rebar needed.. easy upgrade is still the idea.