Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, faatal said:

All our tinting is a way for a color value to be multiplied with a gray texture generally using a mask. The zombies may use it at some point, but art has to be changed.

So can we expect  more zombie variants in future ? because still  repetiton is big problem 😔

25 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

So can we expect  more zombie variants in future ? because still  repetiton is big problem 😔

No, but you can hope for it.

Big problems are like the game crashing. These 3 arlenes over here looking the same is not.

10 minutes ago, faatal said:

Big problems are like the game crashing. These 3 arlenes over here looking the same is not.

Well game crashing is not big deal in 7dtd. This is not cod when you can lose a lot if your match crashed after 5 h.  But in 7dtd you will lose dunno 5 min? Well i know technical stuff is very imporant but "aestetic" too.   3 these same arlene over and over killing all setting.  4 new zombies per updated could help a lot

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Well game crashing is not big deal in 7dtd. This is not cod when you can lose a lot if your match crashed after 5 h.  But in 7dtd you will lose dunno 5 min? Well i know technical stuff is very imporant but "aestetic" too.   3 these same arlene over and over killing all setting.  4 new zombies per updated could help a lot

If I did recall this correctly, someone from the fun pimps noted some time ago (with the new zombie models for a20 coming) that he adressed the repitition in zombie visuals with TFP. He said something like 'we got these new soldier zombies, and somehow they all died the exact same way?'

I thought that this was being said but I can't find it back. But either way, such visual things could be made for a later update and indeed isn't a huge problem :) 

Edited by Burrfly (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, Burrfly said:

If I did recall this correctly, someone from the fun pimps noted some time ago (with the new zombie models for a20 coming) that he adressed the repitition in zombie visuals with TFP. He said something like 'we got these new soldier zombies, and somehow they all died the exact same way?'

I thought that this was being said but I can't find it back. But either way, such visual things could be made for a later update and indeed isn't a huge problem :) 

Well i hope so because this give me Kiling Floor vibes

56 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Game crashing is a big deal when it corrupts your character data or even the world data. Even though this is neither Baldurs Gate nor Doctor Who 😁

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

You can actually lose your ENTIRE save if the game crashes, depending on HOW it crashes.

So sorry, but I agree with fataal. Zombie repetition is not a major problem. Game stability is.

3 hours ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

Hey all, time for me to get the noob train started

(translation: please excuse my dumbass questions)

I read this "It is necessary to start a fresh game for A20 and advisable to use the cleaning tool in the game launcher UI in order to clear out any and all old saves and maps which might interfere with the new build once you download A20 experimental."

I currently play a few different 7D2D games, a 19.6 that my father started on the Steam server, a few 19.5s that I started on Steam and I host a dedicated server for 19.5.  After I clear out the old saves and maps and all, will I lose all of my A19 games that are on the steam server? Will I lose my progress on the 19.6 game my father created? If I go back to playing 19.5 or 19.6 do I need to clear the saves again before returning to A20?   

I plan to run a dedicated server for A20  

I guess the advice is specifically for people who use the same default world name for every game. Which leads to the old world loading instead of a new one being generated.

Always use a world name with the alpha version in it and you will be safe from loading worlds from previous alphas. 

Always do backups.

2 hours ago, faatal said:

Well, iirc, when you were live streaming with prime a few weeks ago your game crashed quite often with a BSOD.

IMHO, the best cure for that is not a game fix but an OS fix. Fortunately 7dtd does support linux. (and I am very happy about that.) I have not seen a bsod on my computer for over 13 years now. :classic_cool:

Just saying. (and no, I really do not want to start an os flame war in thread; I am a wiseass while I only use linux that is my choice, you are free to use what you are comfortable with.)

Edited by stretch611 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, KhaineGB said:

You can actually lose your ENTIRE save if the game crashes, depending on HOW it crashes.

So sorry, but I agree with fataal. Zombie repetition is not a major problem. Game stability is.

Hey KhaineGB, love the Darkness Falls conversation mod and have played with it for years now. I'm just wondering what your plans are with Alpha 20? How long does it usually take to port what you have over so that it'll work on the latest Alpha? Will you be waiting for Stable A20?

Edited by Rizno
Typo (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Rizno said:

Hey KhaineGB, love the Darkness Falls conversation mod and have played with it for years now. I'm just wondering what your plans are with Alpha 20? How long does it usually take to port what you have over so that it'll work on the latest Alpha? Will you be waiting for Stable A20?

I always wait for stable.

So probably like... stable +1-2 weeks... as a ball park guess.

47 minutes ago, stretch611 said:

Well, iirc, when you were live streaming with prime a few weeks ago your game crashed quite often with a BSOD.

IMHO, the best cure for that is not a game fix but an OS fix. Fortunately 7dtd does support linux. (and I am very happy about that.) I have not seen a bsod on my computer for over 13 years now. :classic_cool:

Just saying. (and no, I really do not want to start an os flame war in thread; I am a wiseass while I only use linux that is my choice, you are free to use what you are comfortable with.)

Not interested in Linux.

Have not had a BSOD since then. The BSOD error codes were vague. I have updated gfx drivers and windows updates, so you never know what may fix something.

1 hour ago, KhaineGB said:

i can agree it is a  crashes  are major problem. But zombie repetition is still big problem. smaller that crashes but still big

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

Game crashing is a big deal when it corrupts your character data or even the world data. Even though this is neither Baldurs Gate nor Doctor Who 😁

i had this problem with dynasty warriors and cod cw.  I know how this can @%$# off

Small note : well i was writing about future ( next updates a 21, a 22 etc) and crashes are " repetive" problems

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, faatal said:

Not interested in Linux.

Have not had a BSOD since then. The BSOD error codes were vague. I have updated gfx drivers and windows updates, so you never know what may fix something.

Last time I had a BSOD was from overclocking... so... y'know... entirely my bad :D

@faatal, Any chance that TFP will create a tool to generate right-hand/left-hand versions of existing POI's?  (As long as they don't include signage in their blocks).

It would help to further extend current content by mixing things up a bit and might reduce some of the familiarity players have in revisiting another instance of a POI.

In real life, having been in houses that are mirrored floorplans of each other gives a very different vibe.  Familiar, but different. 

I feel that 7Days could benefit from such a huge boost in variety for -seemingly- little cost.

3 hours ago, Matt115 said:

i can agree it is a  crashes  are major problem. But zombie repetition is still big problem. smaller that crashes but still big

Can I suggest that it is a big problem to you? I fully agree with your original sentiment, that is that having more variety in how the same zombie model appears would be great, but zombie repetitiveness and game crashes are in two different categories:

1. Crashes - these can affect any player, and when a player is affected by it, it's a big deal. It literally stops them from enjoying the game, if not for a few minutes while the game loads back up, or in extreme cases, keeps them from playing the game at all.

2. Zombie model repetitiveness - this affects all players, however I'd be willing to bet a large portion (may or may not be the majority) does not think it keeps them from enjoying the game. Can it break immersion? Sure. Would it be nice if the models at least had some color variation? Of course. However, does it cause EVERYONE from enjoying the game? Certainly not.

I'm not saying it isn't a big deal to you. But what breaks immersion and enjoyment for you is not the same for every player. So naturally, TFP will do their best to make sure things like crashes are minimal, and if they have the time and resources available, and if the demand is there, we can certainly hope that zombie color variation is added one day.

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

Can I suggest that it is a big problem to you? I fully agree with your original sentiment, that is that having more variety in how the same zombie model appears would be great, but zombie repetitiveness and game crashes are in two different categories:

1. Crashes - these can affect any player, and when a player is affected by it, it's a big deal. It literally stops them from enjoying the game, if not for a few minutes while the game loads back up, or in extreme cases, keeps them from playing the game at all.

2. Zombie model repetitiveness - this affects all players, however I'd be willing to bet a large portion (may or may not be the majority) does not think it keeps them from enjoying the game. Can it break immersion? Sure. Would it be nice if the models at least had some color variation? Of course. However, does it cause EVERYONE from enjoying the game? Certainly not.

I'm not saying it isn't a big deal to you. But what breaks immersion and enjoyment for you is not the same for every player. So naturally, TFP will do their best to make sure things like crashes are minimal, and if they have the time and resources available, and if the demand is there, we can certainly hope that zombie color variation is added one day.

Well i had a stange problem with cod cw on outbreak.  After 15 min - 2 h crash. this wasn't so big problem for me - well i have my progress still etc. but when i saw  again this same zombie in small POI i just...  lose my will to play. rly i just coudn't ofc i fix this problem ( bios ) and cod get some patches. but still i can't play because this just hm... damn i can't - i see again this same zombie woman and  " nah i'm donna". But in rest maps- die machine, firebaze z etc. zombie have enough variants to not looks this same. Honestly 10- 20 more variants is neccery to have more "fun". i know this very subjective. Well after new alpha we have new "crashbugs" so i just "don't care" because i know this is just alpha so crash in alpha version is 100% normal

We just finally settled on our naming convention of all the zombies.  Now we are very efficient in calling out targets and working methodically through a horde.  And you want more variety in the types and looks of the zombies that spawn????  No thank you!  

If you feel like it's breaking your immersion, then just pretend it's actually an alien invasion and those were the only clones they had available.  

6 minutes ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

We just finally settled on our naming convention of all the zombies.  Now we are very efficient in calling out targets and working methodically through a horde.  And you want more variety in the types and looks of the zombies that spawn????  No thank you!  

If you feel like it's breaking your immersion, then just pretend it's actually an alien invasion and those were the only clones they had available.  

I feel like changing their clothing wouldn't be so bad. The general appearance of the zombies would remain mostly the same, just they would be wearing the latest top fashionable brands - dressed to impress while breaking into your base.

8 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Well game crashing is not big deal in 7dtd.

Someone has never had their base "reset" to an open field or back to the POI's default, bonus if only part of the base had it happen, thanks to a crash I see.

7 hours ago, Burrfly said:

I vaguely remember Rick Heunik (sp) saying something along those lines during the gameplay demo stream for A19 experimental that had him, Lathan and Joel in it. That was a bit over a year ago though.