Anyone else hate vultures?

Dracula

21 minutes ago, Mday said:

I place spikes on top of the roof. It works pretty well.

Thats brilliant...it makes total sense...yet I can't remember a single streamer ever using them that way.  Everyone seems to gravitate to junk or auto turrets on their roofs...Thanks for the idea! :)

9 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Thats brilliant...it makes total sense...yet I can't remember a single streamer ever using them that way.  Everyone seems to gravitate to junk or auto turrets on their roofs...Thanks for the idea! :)

I deployed both. Somehow my sg turrets never fired a shot. I guess the birds is diving bombing so fast that they hit the iron spike before the turrets can react.

6 hours ago, Gazz said:

If you would like them they wouldn't be doing their job.

Is the goal to make me hate the game?  If so, the vultures are a step in the right direction.

They can keep their lacerations, infections, and stamina draining surprise attacks.  

If the goal is to add things I don't like, let's add more mandatory cool down periods and microtransactions.

They are pain, but then they should be, it was so easy to ignore them in A18 on horde nights, now they're more of a threat during horde nights, as the should be IMHO. I find they're easier to kill in A19, better hit box?, and as far as horde nights, they are easily dealt with a decent base design and a junk turret and/or shotgun. I actually like them more now in A19. As far as being attacked on a vehicle, I heal up to 100% if possible and also have an anti-vulter weapon in my hand before getting in/on a vehicle, so if attacked, just hop off and deal with the threat, easy peasy.  

My main point is that you shouldn't HAVE to stop.  I'm not going to argue the speed of a vulture in relation to the speed of a vehicle and argue that because someone will always deride realism and make excuses.

No; I'm going to argue that going along and getting a surprise infection from a vulture while traveling sucks because any sound they make can't be heard over the drone of the vehicle engine, dealing with literal dozens on every horde night sucks; it's not an impossible task, but they take away more from gameplay than they add.

Vultures = Feather delivery service

12 hours ago, Black Hat said:

I can see your point.

Getting hit 7k times by a vulture while on a bike can be very frustrating. They should nerf the vultures on this situation. 

Other than that, they are one shot with a knife but funny enough not with a bullet.

I kill them all the time with my 9mm, with or without a silencer.  (one shot that is, and when I'm in a vehicle I always get in with my pistol / AK in hand, so I can shoot them right after dismounting.)

54 minutes ago, Dracula said:

What do all of you people use feathers for?  They're worthless to me and always discarded.

Early game silent sneak attack to get a single Z to some to you away from the pack.  Late game easy way to kill Z's without using the brass ammo reserved for Horde nights.

Make no mistake I despise the primitive bow, but it can be made to work until you get a wooden bow / iron crossbow or one of the compound weapons.

12 minutes ago, Darthjake said:

Early game silent sneak attack to get a single Z to some to you away from the pack.  Late game easy way to kill Z's without using the brass ammo reserved for Horde nights.

Make no mistake I despise the primitive bow, but it can be made to work until you get a wooden bow / iron crossbow or one of the compound weapons.

Right you are, I save my ammo for horde night and emergencies while looting large POIs. The bow with it's 3.5X sneak attack is an insta-kill with head shots.

Hate is a relative term. Having a challenge from every angle is what keeps this game keeping me on my toes. Making sure I have iron bars or something over my head or as mentioned, some turrets to protect me while I'm shooting another way. One of the things I like about this game is the constant challenge. Some complain it is too easy while others think the demolisher or the vulture or..."insert zombie here" is too much. That sounds like the sign of a good zombie game. I'm still dying after 6,500+ hours playing the game. Bring em' on....

I don't use the bow; I'll use either guns or stealth.  The primitive bow is a pain in the backside to me, so I never progressed further with the bow.  As such, feathers are worthless.  Interesting that so many of you stick with it.

1 hour ago, Dracula said:

I don't use the bow; I'll use either guns or stealth.  The primitive bow is a pain in the backside to me, so I never progressed further with the bow.  As such, feathers are worthless.  Interesting that so many of you stick with it.

Yep, primitive bow is so worthless that it will one shot kill a doe D1 with a sneak shot.... totally worthless. smh

21 minutes ago, Dracula said:

So will a hunting rifle and, with a scope, I get superior range.

And where do you get that hunting rifle and scope on day 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5?  The bow is a viable option, you just have to practice a bit.  But as I said, yes, the primitive bow sucks compared to the wooden bow, or iron crossbow, and crossbows can have a scope too.

21 minutes ago, Dracula said:

So will a hunting rifle and, with a scope, I get superior range.

D1 you're pretty lucky if you find a hunting rifle. That was not the point tho, thx for trying to change the subject. Point was you said early bow is worthless. Fact is that it is not.

Just now, JCrook1028 said:

D1 you're pretty lucky if you find a hunting rifle. That was not the point tho, thx for trying to change the subject. Point was you said early bow is worthless. Fact is that it is not.

No; my point was that if I'm getting hit by vultures while riding on a minibike, 4x4, or motorcycle I'm well beyond the point where using a primitive bow makes sense and seeing them as a  "source of feathers" instead of a pace-breaker is not an argument.

They are annoying to be sure but, IMHO, necessary.  Zeds are not much of a threat and there needs to be threats that come at you in different ways.  We need more special zeds that do things that are unique.  Spitters, exploders, jumpers and fliers are it for now.  That is not really enough unique challenges to make long term play interesting.  I hope they add more annoying enemies that break up doing the same thing over and over again.

10 hours ago, Dracula said:

No; my point was that if I'm getting hit by vultures while riding on a minibike, 4x4, or motorcycle I'm well beyond the point where using a primitive bow makes sense and seeing them as a  "source of feathers" instead of a pace-breaker is not an argument.

Personally I like them more as a source of rotten flesh. That's useful the entire game. And it's not like they're hard to kill when they're chasing your vehicle. Hop off, wait for them and smack em with a club. Dead bird. Simple.

1 hour ago, Dracula said:

They should not be able to catch up to a vehicle; though; let alone do massive damage to it and me while I'm traversing the terrain.

In my opinion, it's fine that they catch up to the vehicle, but they could use some balance. I don't personally "hate" them, but I eagerly await TFP's balance fixes. If those aren't forthcoming, I'll mod them a little bit.

The A18 non-horde-night vultures were fine, though I can see them being made a bit faster so they can keep up with the motorcycle and jump you when you dismount. I always ride with shotgun equipped for that very reason. I agree with you, I think, that they should not be able to bring a vehicle to a standstill while attacking from the rear. The motorcycle seems to work better than the 4x4 and again, TFP needs to balance it.

We use crossbows well into mid-game, so feathers are always welcome. And in A19 sneak attacks with bows are deadly, with very cheap ammo. Brass is in much shorter supply, so we try to conserve bullets for horde night.

23 hours ago, Dracula said:

What do all of you people use feathers for?  They're worthless to me and always discarded.

I've always preferred crossbows over guns, but then I've only started playing again recently and the last version I played seriously was A17.

Archived