Anyone else hate vultures?

Dracula

Why do people assume that not liking one part of the game means you don't like any challenge?  For me, I will mod out the vehicle attacking vultures if I can figure it out but I'd also like to up zombie counts in random hordes and in the city.  So it isn't about "get gud" or me not liking a challenge - I just don't like some of the "challenges" such as homing vultures that destroy 4x4s.

Question as I'm not playing a19 yet: how much damage do the vultures actually do to minibikes/motorcycles/4x4s?

If they actually are taking a 4x4 down to 20% health in one attack that seems way over the top, and would expect if they did that much to a 4x4 the minibike would get fully damaged, i.e. not drivable until repaired.

Just having a hard time imagining that that level of vehicle damage is intended...

Could see TFPs intending for a mini vulture horde (4-6+?) to be able to disable vehicles if the player didn't stop and get out; if only for their stated intent to prevent just driving around on horde night. But other than a wandering vulture horde encounter during the normal days..

Side note: I am looking forward to a more in-depth vehicle damage mechanic, so running over a few zeds could result in flat tires, punctured radiator, etc.

On 7/13/2020 at 4:28 PM, Jeraal said:

Absolutely hate them. I thought it was a good idea to replace the murder hornets with vultures. I however hate the heat seeking/guided hypersonic missiles that we have now. 

Got just the video for you then..Vedui made the video highlighting the broken a@@ vulture mobs, and here is his follow up..

Not crazy about the vultures.  Fine for the most part in single player.  Multiplayer depends on lag.  Sometimes on a server the hitbox feels like its in a different spot then what is being displayed client side.  Happens when there is a bunch of things happening in the area.  As this occurs, the vulture basically gets about 3 or 4 free shots at you until you get lucky and hit it.  Junk turret usually can just take them out.

If the vultures can knock you off your motobike or stop you while on the motobike, what do they do if your in a gyrocopter?  I hope they cant just attack you up there or worse yet eject you.  If that is the case, then I would much rather just turn them off since they could just get hit by the propellers.

While we are at it.  Trucks should have an advantage that you can only get attacked from the side with vultures because of the roll cage around you or better yet splatter on your windshield.

Again; there are work-arounds, but the resources that they offer do not matter after a point and "just deal with them" does not help.  They deal too much damage, offer too little warning, and are an interrupt to gameplay.

Just because we CAN deal with them doesn't mean we SHOULD deal with them.  If someone gives you a sandwich that's delicious, but is made with moldy bread and tells you to eat around the mold; you can, but you're not wrong for wanting a sandwich without mold.

4 hours ago, Dracula said:

Again; there are work-arounds, but the resources that they offer do not matter after a point and "just deal with them" does not help.  They deal too much damage, offer too little warning, and are an interrupt to gameplay.

Just because we CAN deal with them doesn't mean we SHOULD deal with them.  If someone gives you a sandwich that's delicious, but is made with moldy bread and tells you to eat around the mold; you can, but you're not wrong for wanting a sandwich without mold.

But in the apocalypse you happily eat around the mold.

I just don't see why it was needed to make vultures spawn and attack if we use a vehicle on horde night.

If i play single player and don't want to fight the horde, i'd just turn off the horde in the options.

If i was playing multiplayer and didn't want to fight the horde (most unlikely) , i'd just log off.

If i was playing, and for some reason was like 30 seconds too late to reach horde base, i'd had to log off too. Unless it was an easy mode

server, in which case i'd probaly just make a run for it.

Some possible benefits:

If i sit on a vehicle during the horde and i set up traps to deal with vultures, i'll get a slightly easier horde, since birds are easier to kill.

I'll also get some easy feathers , bones and rotten meat.

It pleases some forum trolls.

I don't see the point in keeping it. It just gives non-horde-fighters another reason to log off or disable the horde and very little else.

6 hours ago, Dracula said:

In your opinion.

As far as I am concerned, they are in a pretty damn good point.  They offer a real obstacle when driving away from the horde - something that was lacking before.

19 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

But in the apocalypse you happily eat around the mold.

And in the apocalypse there will be no videogame forums to complain on; I would have said "@%$*#! sandwich" but I loathe the forum's censorship.

17 hours ago, FA_Q2 said:

In your opinion.

As far as I am concerned, they are in a pretty damn good point.  They offer a real obstacle when driving away from the horde - something that was lacking before.

It's not exclusively about horde night; true, they're worse on horde night, but they suck just as much when you're doing a trader mission and they dive-bomb your 4x4 and take out 20% of its health.

1 minute ago, Dracula said:

It's not exclusively about horde night; true, they're worse on horde night, but they suck just as much when you're doing a trader mission and they dive-bomb your 4x4 and take out 20% of its health.

Nothing else can really threaten you when you are on a vehicle.

We have threats everywhere else during all other activities. Like vultures or not, I think having a threat while using vehicles fits the game.

1 minute ago, katarynna said:

Nothing else can really threaten you when you are on a vehicle.

We have threats everywhere else during all other activities. Like vultures or not, I think having a threat while using vehicles fits the game.

Being safe on the vehicle was literally 1/3 the point of the vehicle.  The other 2/3 are extra storage space and getting to a location quicker.

When a trader gives you a quest that's a day or two's trekking across the map, the vehicle is almost a necessity; and, while it sucks losing one to a random mine, it at least makes sense.  Given the nature of the 4x4 with its massive plate-steel front end, it should be reinforced to withstand vultures.

As it is, with the repair costs and gas used at an abysmal rate for ALL vehicles, it removes any incentive to ever leave the forest biome and venture into one with more vultures.

If the vehicles were easily obtained, it would be less of an issue, but the amount of in-game progression that has to occur to be able to have a 4x4 that's destroyed in 5 vulture hits is completely broken.

Repair kits are very cheap. The vultures you kill give you bones to make the duct tape you need to make repair kits. Seems balanced to me.

Being safe on vehicles is literally 0% of the point of them for me. They are to travel faster with extra storage. I am curious how other people feel about that, since until you brought it up safety was not something i even thought about as a reason to get a vehicle.

Why not get out of your vehicle when you see the first vulture shadow above you, or at least with the first attack? vultures die pretty easily so just don't let them hit you vehicle 5 times before you get out to deal with them, especially if you find them so precious and difficult to obtain.

I do get out of the vehicle at the first attack, but if you don't notice them; which is especially easy to happen in the destroyed zone, then they attack and bring my vehicle to an immediate halt.  At that point I get out and find that I've attracted around 5 of them and dispatch them, after sustaining lacerations, infections, and damage to myself and my vehicle.

Why do I keep having to reiterate that I don't find them CHALLENGING constantly?  I find them annoying and worthless.  Glue is moot with the frequency of animals spawning; even nerf'd it's still adequate.

If they dropped 500 bullets apiece; maybe then I'd relish them as resources; as they are, they're an annoyance that brings gameplay to a halt.  Literally.

1 hour ago, Dracula said:

Being safe on the vehicle was literally 1/3 the point of the vehicle.  The other 2/3 are extra storage space and getting to a location quicker.

When a trader gives you a quest that's a day or two's trekking across the map, the vehicle is almost a necessity; and, while it sucks losing one to a random mine, it at least makes sense.  Given the nature of the 4x4 with its massive plate-steel front end, it should be reinforced to withstand vultures.

As it is, with the repair costs and gas used at an abysmal rate for ALL vehicles, it removes any incentive to ever leave the forest biome and venture into one with more vultures.

If the vehicles were easily obtained, it would be less of an issue, but the amount of in-game progression that has to occur to be able to have a 4x4 that's destroyed in 5 vulture hits is completely broken.

Lemme guess, you jump off cliffs and always use sprint speed on the vehicles right?

1 hour ago, Dracula said:

I do get out of the vehicle at the first attack, but if you don't notice them; which is especially easy to happen in the destroyed zone, then they attack and bring my vehicle to an immediate halt.  At that point I get out and find that I've attracted around 5 of them and dispatch them, after sustaining lacerations, infections, and damage to myself and my vehicle.

Why do I keep having to reiterate that I don't find them CHALLENGING constantly?  I find them annoying and worthless.  Glue is moot with the frequency of animals spawning; even nerf'd it's still adequate.

If they dropped 500 bullets apiece; maybe then I'd relish them as resources; as they are, they're an annoyance that brings gameplay to a halt.  Literally.

I didn't say that you found them challenging. The only reason i brought up bones for glue was because you were complaining about repair costs. A repair kit is forged iron and duct tape, both easily obtainable unless you aren't collecting bones. Since you implied you were having trouble keeping things repaired due to the high cost, I assumed you were buying duct tape from the trader.

Killing vultures is part of the gameplay, so when you get off your vehicle to kill them the gameplay is not halted. I understand you don't like them because driving vehicles now has a threat. Other people, including the developers, feel that all aspects of the game should have threats. 

I am absolutely not trying to talk you into either liking or tolerating vultures. You should play the way you want. But the answer to your problem is mods, not making vehicles a "safe-space" for everyone.

On 7/13/2020 at 2:36 PM, Dracula said:

I didn't mind them in A18, but now that they're ridiculously aggressive, beat holes in my roof, totaled my motorcycle, etc. they've become the cliff racers of 7 Days To Die.

I had the exact Cliff Racer feeling when I first encountered them in A19. lol

I really like that they have better AI in A19 vs A18
A18 they'd circle and follow you forever sometimes. I was constantly waiting for them to come down and attack so I could club them. 

A19 they attack fairly quick and you can deal with them and focus back on the walkers. 

1 minute ago, Dracula said:

This is the absolute WORST thing about this forum; mods are NOT the answer to everything.

Of course mods are not the answer to everything.

However, you find vultures intolerable. They are apparently ruining your gameplay. Most of the rest of us are fine with vultures and enjoy the extra gameplay element of having a threat while on vehicles. The developers want there to be a threat while on vehicles. 

So while mods are not the answer to everything, if you can't or don't want to deal with vultures, mods are the answer for you.

Again; learn to read.  My problem with them is the change to homing missles in A19.

They weren't a problem in A18.

If they added a "feature" that kicked you back to the desktop every hour, would you defend that, too?

Myself and others have voiced complaints about the vultures and would prefer a middle ground that's not "mod them out" or "ignore them and get pissed"

I know how to read, thank you. You didn't mind vulture in a18.

The "feature" they added was to make vultures very aggressive vs vehicles, especially on horde night. This added a threat to driving a vehicle.

Many of us like the fact that vehicles are no longer a "safe space".  The developers want there to be no "safe space." Your "problem" is not really with vultures. It is the loss of your "safe space".

If you screw up on horde night, you want to be able to make a run for your safe space, drive around with immunity from damage til 0400, then finish off the horde at your leisure. If you are driving a long distance, you want to be driving in your "safe space", where you don't have to stay focused on the game paying attention to threats.

If they kept the vultures the same as a18 and made only zombie arlene focus on your "safe space", attack it, chase it, possibly destroy it with an increased speed and damage to your "safe space", this post would be titled "who else hates zombie arlene.

The developers want there to always be threats. Many of us want there to always be threats. You want the one "safe space" you counted on in a18 to continue being your "safe space". Mod it.

I love to hate them...They aren't perfect, sure and can at times remind me of the cliffracers from morrowind. But they add a good mix-up to combat and are a bit more immersive than those bees were. The bike chasing does tend to get a bit annoying - maybe the give-up time should be set a lot shorter. I don't want them to go away though. 

This topic reminds me of something I thought of tonight while playing - I think it would be beneficial to have a quick look-behind button on the keyboard for when driving. I know you can switch back and forth between mouse and keyboard steering and look back behind you that way - but it's too slow and clunky - I think being able to map a button to just quickly look behind you while on a vehicle would be useful for all kinds of things - including vultures.

I think they perfected vultures. We now have undead zombie cliff racers. The are the correct amount of aggravation, no need to nerf them, no need to buff them, leave them alone. I find that the best horde night defense is to leave a sledge turret on top of my pillbox and occasionally pop open the hatch to shoot up. It's quite fun to see a dead one fall to the ground in front of me after it get's hit with the sledge. 

4 minutes ago, SenpaiThatIngnoresYou said:

I think they perfected vultures. We now have undead zombie cliff racers. The are the correct amount of aggravation, no need to nerf them, no need to buff them, leave them alone. I find that the best horde night defense is to leave a sledge turret on top of my pillbox and occasionally pop open the hatch to shoot up. It's quite fun to see a dead one fall to the ground in front of me after it get's hit with the sledge. 

agreed. throwing some wood or iron spikes on the roof is cheap and works well too for the first horde if you don't have a junk sledge yet.

Archived