Anyone else hate vultures?

Dracula

On 7/14/2020 at 4:17 AM, Mday said:

I deployed both. Somehow my sg turrets never fired a shot. I guess the birds is diving bombing so fast that they hit the iron spike before the turrets can react.

My turrets aren't shooting at them either.  I'm starting to think the turrets don't even target them.  Sucks because I invested in several turrets to cover over head and they did squat.

10 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

Personally I like them more as a source of rotten flesh. That's useful the entire game. And it's not like they're hard to kill when they're chasing your vehicle. Hop off, wait for them and smack em with a club. Dead bird. Simple.

Depends on what your use case is for the rotten flesh. Hobo Stew? Great. Farm plots? There are farm plots in POI's now that remove the big need. 

Personally, I like the bones but with the increased animal spawns that need has also diminished. 

Even when making farm plots you don't need that much Rotten Flesh. In my solo game I've got a much larger garden than I'll ever actually need and still have more than ten stacks of Rotten Flesh waiting to find the Hobo Stew Recipe.

1 hour ago, e1ghtbit said:

My turrets aren't shooting at them either.  I'm starting to think the turrets don't even target them.  Sucks because I invested in several turrets to cover over head and they did squat.

They do target them. I tested both on the move (on motorcycle) and standing still and just spawning in vultures. SMG turrets mowed them down. Maybe you encountered a bug?

1 hour ago, Kirtonos said:

Depends on what your use case is for the rotten flesh. Hobo Stew? Great. Farm plots? There are farm plots in POI's now that remove the big need. 

Personally, I like the bones but with the increased animal spawns that need has also diminished. 

Are the POI farm plots harvestable now or do you plant seeds at the POI plots?

5 hours ago, Dracula said:

Are the POI farm plots harvestable now or do you plant seeds at the POI plots?

Plant seeds, there is even a POI with underground farm plots for shrooms, but I find that they grow just fine in the open too.  If you shovel the farm plots up you get clay and nitrates though.

On 7/14/2020 at 1:51 PM, Dracula said:

I don't use the bow; I'll use either guns or stealth.  The primitive bow is a pain in the backside to me, so I never progressed further with the bow.  As such, feathers are worthless.  Interesting that so many of you stick with it.

The primitive bow is actually pretty powerful for a T1 when used properly.  Most of what people hate about the primitive bow is that it has very poor draw strength and so it's range is limited, it has an arc, and until you invest skill points into it the damage is pretty meh.  So a bunch of people who are @%$*#!ty shots with it and don't land headshots and don't skill into it think it's garbage.

But forget about the primitive bow for a bit.  You should try the actual bow and xbows.  Much easier to aim, much flatter trajectory, much higher damage.  And if you learn to use the stealth bow/xbow is the second best POI clearing weapon in the game.  First is Int double turrets.

8 hours ago, e1ghtbit said:

Wouldn't be surprised if you were unknowingly out of turret power range.  Your power range is pretty short unspec'd.

Vultures are a pain in the @%$*#! in A19 but the real question is they are fun or not?

Let me tell you what happen to me and my friends  when we started A19... we spawn in Forrest but as was Nitrogen generated map we already saw the best place to build the base, so we started to walk naked near the point we saw at preview. Not far away we start getting into desert biome and those things start to attack, one of my friends die, so we wait for him there, while we wait another one appears and kill my other buddy, so there I was alone waiting for both of them, I manage to kill two vultures while waiting for them, and another two vultures wake up  when they take the corner at my side and those kill them again.

My friends instead @%$*#!ing about the Overpowered beasts they were laughing, it was fun and its all that matters in a game.

(On side note they were killed twice each at day two by a mini horde of 7 vultures in the city)

14 hours ago, Maharin said:

I've always preferred crossbows over guns, but then I've only started playing again recently and the last version I played seriously was A17.

The arrow drop rate is pretty high atm as well.  I use bows a lot and have not made a single arrow on day 70 because iron arrows are so plentiful.  May upgrade to steel though and will need to make them for that.

As the only bone/feather/rotten flesh delivey service while on top of your fort, I find no problem here!

"Too many bones" is a oxymoron in 7D2D.  😁

Edit: But seriously, they add a good threat (read excitement) to the game!

10 hours ago, diegodgo87 said:

Vultures are a pain in the @%$*#! in A19 but the real question is they are fun or not?

Let me tell you what happen to me and my friends  when we started A19... we spawn in Forrest but as was Nitrogen generated map we already saw the best place to build the base, so we started to walk naked near the point we saw at preview. Not far away we start getting into desert biome and those things start to attack, one of my friends die, so we wait for him there, while we wait another one appears and kill my other buddy, so there I was alone waiting for both of them, I manage to kill two vultures while waiting for them, and another two vultures wake up  when they take the corner at my side and those kill them again.

My friends instead @%$*#!ing about the Overpowered beasts they were laughing, it was fun and its all that matters in a game.

(On side note they were killed twice each at day two by a mini horde of 7 vultures in the city)

That may be fun if you're playing with a group of people that you can communicate with; but it's a completely different experience in single player.

"We laughed at them, so they're a good thing." is not an argument.  That's an avocation for multiplayer.

"They brought my 4x4 to a halt and reduced it to 20% health, caused me to be infected and suffered lacerations after barely traveling into the destroyed biome."  provides information as to WHY they're a problem.

You acknowledge how they can be overwhelming; but, apart from that, it doesn't explain how they render the vehicle that you go to great lengths to craft relatively useless and make certain biomes uninhabitable and difficult to traverse.

On 7/13/2020 at 4:23 PM, Dracula said:

First of all:  I don't want to hear any "get good" or "it's supposed to be hard" excuses.  I hate that if I'm using a minibike; which sucks way too much gas, but that's a separate issue, I will be swarmed by vultures that are faster than me.  I have to periodically stop, wait for them to start to attack, pick them off, get back on the bike, rinse, and repeat. 

They also @%$*#! up horde night; if I'm leading a conga line of zombies; picking them off while running and trying to lure them over spikes, it breaks the flow to stop, circle the sky, kill the vulture, and go back to fighting the horde.  I fought over a dozen of the @%$*#!s on the day 21 horde and all they do is disrupt the flow of combat and make it so I'm looking for a mod to remove them.

OK, I hate to say it, but "get good" and learn to deal with ongoing threats. All I see here is your need/desire to simply dumb down the game from any challenges because the vultures "annoy you".  It's GREAT that they mess up your horde night, especially if you decide to run around outside trying to lead zeds over traps. The game isn't meant to be easy street. 

Sadly, many players like this one require easier settings and lack situational awareness. The same type of folks who complain about sleeper zeds when these folks run through POI's in heavy armor, thinking "Why do all the zeds just swarm to me!" due to all the noise you make while in heavy armor and not taking time to sneak around. 

Many players require blood-moon hordes to only walk or run, so they can line up their shots and feel proud for overcoming such a challenge. Pull up the big boy pants and learn how to play a survival game in the vein it was meant to be played. You will get zero sympathy here over Vultures actually doing what they were designed to do. 

This is the exact type of useless post I didn't want to get.

My point isn't that I can't deal with them; it's that they're not BALANCED and are inconsistent with the game.  Just because they were designed to be overpowered interruptions does not mean that it's a GOOD thing or a positive change.  They weren't bad in A18, but their change in A19 turned them from "interesting game mechanic" to "aggravating nuisance."  If you can't hear them over the engine of a vehicle and don't notice them until they dive-bomb your vehicle; severely reducing its health, the only way to avoid them is random stops to scan the horizon for them; severely reducing the usefulness of the vehicles.

For horde night problems; its not that they're there, it's that after you kill them MORE will spawn and, since you can't see them spawn in you will have no way of knowing when to prepare for a threat.

You seem to be under the impression that I can't defeat them; that is not the case.  The fact of the matter is that there are legitimate issues to their balance and spawning problems in conjunction to their other attributes that make them nothing but an unpleasant detractor from gameplay.

Useless comments like "build a different type of base" or "learn to adapt" do not help anyone and do not lead to a better game.

So I'm sure you guys may have seen the other thread that kinda goes into how much of a pain vultures can be. I just learned there are "spitting vultures"??!! 

I'm told these are the radioactive ones who spit. Of all the complaining about the vultures I don't recall this being brought up?! 

I agree, vultures are a pain, however I can only imagine these fu*kers.......

13 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

So I'm sure you guys may have seen the other thread that kinda goes into how much of a pain vultures can be. I just learned there are "spitting vultures"??!! 

I'm told these are the radioactive ones who spit. Of all the complaining about the vultures I don't recall this being brought up?! 

I agree, vultures are a pain, however I can only imagine these fu*kers.......

They piss me off, too, but they're less of an issue than the dive bombers.  On a vehicle, you can outrun their primary attack and it's not as much of a concern.  They can be a nuisance on horde night, but, again, the vomiting/spitting keeps them at a range where they're more manageable and do less damage.  I was also heavily armored by the time they showed up and, thus, less prone to lacerations, and armed with radiation-removing mods and a decent assortment of weapons.

I've yet to encounter one on a vehicle; but, now, I've also eliminated going to every biome where they spawn.

16 hours ago, Ralathar44 said:

The primitive bow is actually pretty powerful for a T1 when used properly.

I'm playing a jack-of-all-trades build in my first A19 world - just 1 point into all of the freebies. I'm amazed at how effective the T1 bow is with just one point in Hidden Strike. One-shot entire POIs with no fuss. I expect the damage multiplier to be somewhat nerfed in a patch. I would think I'd need 2 or 3 shots with a T1 and stone arrows to take down a Hawaiian shirt even with an initial sneak headshot.

3 hours ago, Outlaw_187 said:

I just learned there are "spitting vultures"??!! I'm told these are the radioactive ones who spit. Of all the complaining about the vultures I don't recall this being brought up?! I agree, vultures are a pain, however I can only imagine these fu*kers.......

These have been in the game for a while, but in A19 they seem to spawn in pretty aggressively if you're on a vehicle during horde night. Otherwise, you probably wouldn't see them until you get to a higher GS. If I read the XML correctly, they first show up in blood moon hordes at GS 74. As mentioned above they can also spawn in the wasteland and, bizarrely, at GS 5,778 (not a typo) in screamer hordes.

9 hours ago, FA_Q2 said:

When the hell is that going to happen, LOL.

Maybe....and only maybe...when the game goes gold. How many hours, zombie kills, non deaths, and rack of experience would it take to reach game stage 5,778?!

Game on!! Gotta be a crazy azz achievement getting up so far in GS

Love your handle by the way...totally didn't get it till my 2nd look. FA_Q2.....good sh*t

10 hours ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Maybe....and only maybe...when the game goes gold. How many hours, zombie kills, non deaths, and rack of experience would it take to reach game stage 5,778?!

Game on!! Gotta be a crazy azz achievement getting up so far in GS

Love your handle by the way...totally didn't get it till my 2nd look. FA_Q2.....good sh*t

I didn't look at the xml, but usually in code comma is used as a list separator, not as a method to make reading numbers easier for humans. So, might this just be gamestage 5 and gamestage 778?

On 7/15/2020 at 7:48 PM, e1ghtbit said:

Are you talking about junk turrets? Only the nearest junk turret will work (until fully perked) and if that turret looks into the other direction it won't shoot. Also not sure if their field of view includes much sky.

If you are talking about fixed shotgun or SMG turrets, there you can set their field of view. If you set that to look up they should be quite effective at vulture-hunting

14 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I didn't look at the xml, but usually in code comma is used as a list separator, not as a method to make reading numbers easier for humans. So, might this just be gamestage 5 and gamestage 778?

Are you talking about junk turrets? Only the nearest junk turret will work (until fully perked) and if that turret looks into the other direction it won't shoot. Also not sure if their field of view includes much sky.

If you are talking about fixed shotgun or SMG turrets, there you can set their field of view. If you set that to look up they should be quite effective at vulture-hunting

I was using powered turrets aimed above my head.  4 of them fully powered.  Not a single shot fired but I certainly had heaps of vultures flying in their range.  I even had it set to shoot zombies and had em all turned on.  I'll try again when I get back around to it.

3 minutes ago, e1ghtbit said:

I was using powered turrets aimed above my head.  4 of them fully powered.  Not a single shot fired but I certainly had heaps of vultures flying in their range.  I even had it set to shoot zombies and had em all turned on.  I'll try again when I get back around to it.

Was the ammo locked in?

I used to hate them!.. now... I LOVE to Hate them! 

Yes, they are pesky and like to irritate us.  That is precisely the point.  What else should you expect in a zombie apocalypse??

Look, keep a pistol or club ready on every roof top, and have same equipped on your bike ride thru Wasteland. 

Kill the @%$*#!s fast - harvest lots of that sweet rotten meat (for Hobo Stew!) and feathers and bones!!  I welcome them now.

[wow, the forum censored me above and it wasn't a swear word... lol]

6 hours ago, meganoth said:

It is not. I added the comma for the post. It's just 5778 in the XML.

<gamestage stage="5778"><spawn group="sleeperHordeStageGS5778" num="85" maxAlive="256" duration="1"/></gamestage>

Archived