To Mod or not to Mod: Why is it even a question?

Roland

What is your stance on modding?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which statement most closely matches your own feelings?

• I am willing to use mods and I create mods for others to use. Mods are the lifeblood of this game's ongoing future.
    • I am willing to try any mod and feel that modding keeps this game enjoyable past the inevitable burnout of vanilla.
    • I am willing to add small modlets that only edit the xml. I like the vanilla experience with just a few minor tweaks or additions.
    • I am unwilling to mod my game until the final version is released and workshop support is added. Then I might try out some mods.
    • I never have used a mod but only because I don't know how. If it was more user friendly I might try some.
    • I never have and never will mod my game. I only want to play the official version released by TFP.
    • I never have and never will mod my game. Modders are not professional game designers and their additions always wreck balance and fun.
    • Other. I'll explain by posting in this thread.

These posts were removed from the A19 Developer Diary thread for being off topic but the questions raised are good and would make for interesting conversation. 

Do you refuse to mod your game and if so why? If you think of yourself as a purist only wanting to play the game that the devs invisioned but what you want added to the game more than anything else is fishing. What would you do if you heard there was a mod that only added fishing to the game and nothing else? Would you add the mod with everything else about your game still remaining vanilla?

Is the reason mostly that you don't know how and are afraid of messing up your game or your computer?

Please reveal the reasons for any personal vows to never use mods so that above and beyond anything else....Guppy can understand. :)

7 hours ago, XCOUNTRY said:

I meant the basic AI that was there a few Alphas ago (17? they talked and walked, but nothing else was hooked up).

The CreaturePack Humans have managed to do a lot with just Unity models/anims and XML. There's also NPCPack Humans that have the same models, but custom DMT scripts so you can do things like hire them and have them patrol your base.

That's probably more than you're going to get from TFP for the foreseeable future, so I suggest checking them out. Both are updated with more stuff on almost a daily basis.

CreaturePack: 

NPCs DMT Mod: 

3 hours ago, Gazz said:

False assumption.

Most players never use mods. You just don't see "most players" being active on a development forum like this one.

i am one of those <jumps around with hands in air> i don't and won't use mods... i feel each alpha (so far) has added more for me, yes i have to get used to changes but i still love the game.

Spoiler

has nothing to do with testing... i just dont need mods in my game

3 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

i am one of those <jumps around with hands in air> i don't and won't use mods...

Hide contents

has nothing to do with testing... i just dont need mods in my game

That mentality makes no sense to me.  You can't say you've never had a "I wish the game did this instead" moment, well you can say it but I won't believe you, so why not try a mod that does exactly what you wish?

"Purity" sake?  I just don't understand it.

I want more zombie variety.  I modded a few dozen in.  It doesn't change the core gameplay, it does change my enjoyment.

I want longer horde nights.  I modded it in.  It *does* change the game play, but also changes my enjoyment.

I don't see the harm in either, and I'm okay with people who don't mod, I just don't get the "I've never modded and I never will, developer vision for life!" mentality.

If you want to go that route, the devs made modding part of the game, so... Help me understand you. 

The "I don't use mods" part is fine, it's the "I won't use mods" part... Like there's some sort of higher calling in not?  I don't get it.  You're burying your head in the sand imo. :)

24 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

you are free to believe/disbelieve anything you want. :)

Hide contents

i still wont use mods on a game i like and if i dont like it i wouldnt play it. i am free to choose my path in life.

I just want to understand you.  

24 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

Hide contents

1 hour ago, Guppycur said:

That mentality makes no sense to me.  You can't say you've never had a "I wish the game did this instead" moment, well you can say it but I won't believe you, so why not try a mod that does exactly what you wish?

"Purity" sake?  I just don't understand it.

I want more zombie variety.  I modded a few dozen in.  It doesn't change the core gameplay, it does change my enjoyment.

I want longer horde nights.  I modded it in.  It *does* change the game play, but also changes my enjoyment.

I don't see the harm in either, and I'm okay with people who don't mod, I just don't get the "I've never modded and I never will, developer vision for life!" mentality.

If you want to go that route, the devs made modding part of the game, so... Help me understand you. 

The "I don't use mods" part is fine, it's the "I won't use mods" part... Like there's some sort of higher calling in not?  I don't get it.  You're burying your head in the sand imo. :)

He has access to A19, so he's never bored, there are new toys every day and mods would certainly never work for him.

47 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

I just want to understand you.  

Usually when someone wants to understand someone else they will ask questions and not just make statements about themselves.

I completely understand why Joe "won't" do mods.  It might be similar to why I won't ever get a divorce.  I am super lucky to be very happy with what I have and will do almost anything to keep it.  (sort of hyperbolistic - but it makes the point.)

And, maybe his allotment of time precludes the possibility of experimenting with mods and continuing to fulfil his obligations/duties to TFP as a REAL tester and or his family, etc.  (New edit: Saw MM's response after I posted this.  It's kind of what I was thinking.  unholyjoe probably has enough to keep him busy and happy.)

Having said that, I have done dozens of mod for this game (including yours) and I do like them for the experience differences, raising my awareness about many things (play, modding, etc. - and as you know I have a HTC Vive VR set and am thinking about that as well as you...)

Just trying to help raise awareness and hopefully build better relationships.

1 hour ago, Guppycur said:

Joe and I get along well, that's not my concern.  I just don't get "I will never try" states of minds, and I would like to.  They fascinate me. 

double and triple checks 2nd name on marriage license of 23 yrs. <wipes forehead> :)

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Trankitas said:

I'm a vanilla snowflake. What did you spect?

Well what's the difference if tfp adds that creature as a zombie as opposed to me doing it?  ...same stats as a spider zombie, only difference is its looks.  No game play change except it's scarier.  

Philosophy? 

...I'm going to understand you vanilla folks one day... ;)

(That means you Joe!) 

5 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

lol i wish it would come out early but that would be as rare as a Flying Feral wight! but im just kinda sad that no new images Pics or News about A19. they could show anything! like the couch model!

They did show the new Steve zombie 2 days ago...but I guess that was then and this is now lol...

5 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

we are a minority :)

It's okay to enjoy multiple flavors...I do. 😀

11 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Well what's the difference if tfp adds that creature as a zombie as opposed to me doing it?  ...same stats as a spider zombie, only difference is its looks.  No game play change except it's scarier.  

Philosophy? 

(That means you Joe!) 

There's no philosophy behind me liking the game vanilla, I just like to play the game the devs want us to play. If they add, i'll play, if I like the addition or not...well, that's other topic.
But answering your question: There's no difference besides that you do the spider skin that matches with your vision of the game, and they have theirs. Nothing else.

12 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Philosophy? 

(That means you Joe!) 

I'm often having some difficulty accepting mod changes because even the greatest of mods often add something weird, unbalanced, OP or just outright annoying to their personal (re)view of the game. Unlike the devs, they don't risk losing their jobs if they make a mess or if people don't like it, they'll just have less downloads.

So on average modders are more likely to add stuff "on a hunch" that nobody wanted or asked.

That's why, with all the reasonable limitations, I see vanilla as more *reliable*.

One example I tried (several alphas ago) was the Starvation mod: it's HUGE and adds tons of content, but in the end with all the rhinos, panthers and wierd stuff it didn't feel like playing 7D2D anymore. 😕

18 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I'm often having some difficulty accepting mod changes because even the greatest of mods often add something weird, unbalanced, OP or just outright annoying to their personal (re)view of the game. Unlike the devs, they don't risk losing their jobs if they make a mess or if people don't like it, they'll just have less downloads.

So on average modders are more likely to add stuff "on a hunch" that nobody wanted or asked.

That's why, with all the reasonable limitations, I see vanilla as more *reliable*.

One example I tried (several alphas ago) was the Starvation mod: it's HUGE and adds tons of content, but in the end with all the rhinos, panthers and wierd stuff it didn't feel like playing 7D2D anymore. 😕

I tend to agree that too many mods make so many changes that inevitably you like some changes and hate others.  That is why im a supporter of single function modlets that make a limited number of changes that the player can choose to accept of reject.  In the creaturepacks, we separate humans from zombies from fantasy characters so you can just add more conventional zombies to the mix with no game changes.  Want overpowered or unconventional zombies?  There is a another mod for that.  If you load a big mod then you get a mix of good and bad. 

Archived