To Mod or not to Mod: Why is it even a question?

Roland

What is your stance on modding?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which statement most closely matches your own feelings?

• I am willing to use mods and I create mods for others to use. Mods are the lifeblood of this game's ongoing future.
    • I am willing to try any mod and feel that modding keeps this game enjoyable past the inevitable burnout of vanilla.
    • I am willing to add small modlets that only edit the xml. I like the vanilla experience with just a few minor tweaks or additions.
    • I am unwilling to mod my game until the final version is released and workshop support is added. Then I might try out some mods.
    • I never have used a mod but only because I don't know how. If it was more user friendly I might try some.
    • I never have and never will mod my game. I only want to play the official version released by TFP.
    • I never have and never will mod my game. Modders are not professional game designers and their additions always wreck balance and fun.
    • Other. I'll explain by posting in this thread.

6 hours ago, Guppycur said:

I'd agree, but what sparked this is Joe's "never will".  (Shrug) 

It's not that difficult to understand really.  Look at this way.  Some people like certain types of cars but dont care to install accessories or performance enhancers.  There is nothing right or wrong about it.

At the end of the day they choose to put their time and energy into something else. 😎👍

10 hours ago, Laz Man said:

It's not that difficult to understand really.  Look at this way.  Some people like certain types of cars but dont care to install accessories or performance enhancers.  There is nothing right or wrong about it.

At the end of the day they choose to put their time and energy into something else. 😎👍

Naw you're missing it too, so I must not be being very clear. 

I've zero care or interest in why people don't play a mod.  I have great interest in why people will *never* play a mod.  Like, that there is literally no scenario that would or could happen.

...going to steal this from a comedian...

It's like hitting a woman.  It's easy to say "I'd never hit a woman", but it's a strong statement.  If there's a woman drowning her kids in a tub, she's getting hit.

So as a person going through life, I *try* to avoid never, always, etc, unless there are implied exceptions. 

But here's the thing.  I asked.  There were no implied exceptions, it was a straight "I would never play a mod".

And that makes me curious as to why. 

Am I more clear? 

If this isn't clear then I give up. :)

I used to only use Red's Hud mod to show the character's vitals after those indicators were removed in vanilla. I never wanted to play with any big mods because I have an underlying fear of getting attached to some mod that stops being updated. The modders aren't getting paid after all, so have no obligation to maintain their mod.

That said, I recently tried a mod overhaul because of sheer boredom.  I find the lack of zombies in 7DtD at the moment makes the whole game feel really barren, and I'm hankering after new stuff to loot, so I recently tried 'Darkness Falls'. I was loving it so much - just the right amount of zombies - but I found the game stage rose way too quickly. Before the evening of my first night, my base was overrun by bears, cops and radiated zombies.  So I'm now about to try War of the Walkers. Wish me luck.

One thing I can say is that even with 7 Days to Die not being as fun as it was pre A17, it's still 100% better than any alternative - miscreated, mist, fear the night are all very sub par in my opinion.

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in; I've run a Discord community for survivalist gamers (Minecraft, 7D2D, etc) for a few years. Our servers are always heavily modded, and especially in the Minecraft community, modding is extremely prevalent.

That said, if it's beyond browsing for a Modpack on the Twitch client, hitting install, and logging in ... we know we're going to have issues. Tasks like getting an older version of the modpack, or retrieving a specific version of an extra plugin and dropping it in your mod directory, that modders might consider simple, either confuse people, or they don't want to bother. Never mind debugging a problematic modding issue.

Projects like the 7D2D Mod Loader have made modding exponentially easier, but to the AVERAGE gamer, it's still an arcane and problematic process. I have a friend who has played 7D2D since A15, is computer literate, and had never used mods: felt it was too difficult, didn't know how to do it, and just didn't have the interest, I guess, to learn. I showed him the Mod Launcher, and now he only plays modded.

This is obviously my opinion, but I thought it might be an interesting viewpoint to throw in.

This isn't a knock on people who don't use mods: I mod because I enjoy it; you do what makes the game enjoyable to YOU.

PS: Posted a modified version of the poll on my Discord this morning (just said "any game") and everyone was like "MODS FOR LIFE! FREEDOM!" *facepalm*

On 5/23/2020 at 11:38 AM, Guppycur said:

...going to steal this from a comedian...

Bill Burr is a madman :)

I'll give you a different "never will" Guppy. I will never play "vanilla" 7dtd. If I can't mod the game, it is of little use to me. I don't think I have ever played pure vanilla 7dtd since we could mod the game. For me it is an unsatisfactory experience.

This is just my own opinion which I will guess will be different than many others out there.

To me, many people who say they will never mod may have already. If you have ever changed a setting in a new game then to me you have modded. You have changed the default version of the game. Only if you skip everything when starting the game, to me, are you playing pure vanilla. From my very first time I modded game, changing can stacks of water from 1 to 3, I have been adding mods to game. IIRC, to date my most mods installed at one time were 71. Yes, amazingly they all played nice together lol.

Anyway that is my 5 cents (no pennies in Canada anymore so can't even give you a penny for your thought). To mod or not to mod, that was the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to play vanilla or not, to gather the wraith of others for your decision. To mod -- to change the game we play....etc, etc

Archived