To Mod or not to Mod: Why is it even a question?

Roland

What is your stance on modding?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which statement most closely matches your own feelings?

• I am willing to use mods and I create mods for others to use. Mods are the lifeblood of this game's ongoing future.
    • I am willing to try any mod and feel that modding keeps this game enjoyable past the inevitable burnout of vanilla.
    • I am willing to add small modlets that only edit the xml. I like the vanilla experience with just a few minor tweaks or additions.
    • I am unwilling to mod my game until the final version is released and workshop support is added. Then I might try out some mods.
    • I never have used a mod but only because I don't know how. If it was more user friendly I might try some.
    • I never have and never will mod my game. I only want to play the official version released by TFP.
    • I never have and never will mod my game. Modders are not professional game designers and their additions always wreck balance and fun.
    • Other. I'll explain by posting in this thread.

2 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I'm often having some difficulty accepting mod changes because even the greatest of mods often add something weird, unbalanced, OP or just outright annoying to their personal (re)view of the game. Unlike the devs, they don't risk losing their jobs if they make a mess or if people don't like it, they'll just have less downloads.

So on average modders are more likely to add stuff "on a hunch" that nobody wanted or asked.

That's why, with all the reasonable limitations, I see vanilla as more *reliable*.

One example I tried (several alphas ago) was the Starvation mod: it's HUGE and adds tons of content, but in the end with all the rhinos, panthers and wierd stuff it didn't feel like playing 7D2D anymore. 😕

Well I ask because people are always asking for things to be put into the game is that are relatively easy to mod in, yet there's this weird subculture of "vanilla only", which I don't get.  You're absolutely right that some mods appear to add things just because they can.  But xyth is imo more correct in that now you can literally pick and choose the individual elements you want, especially through modlets.

Truthfully I find that most people who are against mods simply don't understand them enough to know what they can do with them; and that's not an insult, it's just an observation.  Don't want rhinos?  Comment them out.  Done.  Don't know how?  There's a discord for that. 

My anecdotal experience says that once you do mod?  You're hooked.  Can't go back. 

And it's not "on a hunch", modders add what *they* want and if others like it, more power to them.  

Do modders have to worry about the same balance that tfp does?  Of course not.  But I will say, there is a LONG list of things added by modders that eventually get into the game; not accusing tfp of 'stealing the ideas', merely pointing out that obviously it's the 'devs vision of the game too' apparently.  A long list. 

Just now, Gazz said:

There simply is a long list of items on TFP's internal wishlist. That some (or a lot) of it overlaps with what modders have done is inevitable.

100% agree.  I know the video made a little joke, but exactly what you said.  So if it's tfp's vision but modders do it first, is it still 'wrong?'  I think not.

Look.  My pushable shopping cart.  It works, but is definitely not production ready.  Tfp would have to assign time for someone to add an element that changed the leg animation speed to match the movement of the cart.  That's time, as madmole would say, that could be used for bandits.  Modders can get away with a little animation issue, tfp can't.  I get that.  

But, if a little animation issue is no big deal, as it is not for people who use mods, then it's a viable add. 

2 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Nah. Anyone who thinks TFP are competing with modders needs their head examined.

That's not how it works. =P

I dunno, I heard you get told to play mods to get ideas.  I seent it on the internet so it must be true. 😉

31 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

there's this weird subculture of "vanilla only", which I don't get.

speaking for myself (2400ish hours on steam, a couple other hundreds offline) i played mods only on the end of A16 and only a little just for trying something new

i simply find vanilla fun enough for me, just make a couple tweaks on the xml (can't stand to have to wait till morning to return a quest or to grab another :D ) and i could lost myself for hours on end :)

maybe when we get a final version i eventually skip to mod, but for now vanilla didn't annoy me 

MM, welcome back.  Um, does that mean levelled loot is back in full force again, with no chance to find good stuff at early levels?

7 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

YES THANK YOU! I HATE JUST FINDING OP STUFF ON DAY ONE! THANK YOU!

Yes, because it makes so much sense that if you open a cabinet you only find a stone sledgehammer, whereas if I open a cabinet I find a steel one...

So.. much.. sense.. lol. 

5 minutes ago, rewtgr said:

I think that this is called modding....

Literally. ;)

14 minutes ago, rewtgr said:

I think that this is called modding....

i think that almost everyone here that states of playing only vanilla make a couple of tweaks in the xml to adjust to their playstyle

i litterally only change 4 numbers and i consider that playing vanilla, it's like drinking coffee in a ceramic cup or in styrofoam, the drink is the same, but change the flavour 
with a mod instead of coffee you drink a cappuccino

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

I'm pretty damn sure I've said no mod talk in this thread about 500 times. Its GREAT what you are doing but this is NOT the place to talk about it, or even mention it in loose conversation.

But you left for the weekend... What else were we supposed to do?  No #gate for what, a year?  Give us something to fight about! 

25 minutes ago, Sakurambo said:

i litterally only change 4 numbers and i consider that playing vanilla, it's like drinking coffee in a ceramic cup or in styrofoam, the drink is the same, but change the flavour 
with a mod instead of coffee you drink a cappuccino

A mod (short for "modification") is an alteration by players or fans of a video game[1] that changes one or more aspects of a video game, such as how it looks or behaves. Mods may range from small changes and tweaks to complete overhauls, and can extend the replay value and interest of the game.

wikipedia.

maybe you do not understand the diff between an overhaul and a small mod.

I just want to state that if anyone is interested in mods but are only withholding because it seems complicated and intimidating to figure out how to add them, that we have an amazing community of modders and all you need to do is ask and someone will be happy to give you all the instruction you need to get started. There is already a great tool that was created by someone in our community that makes adding a mod simple AND keeps your modded game separate from your vanilla download so that there is zero risk to your vanilla saves and files. 

For those who are wanting to remain true to the developer's intentions let me assure you that their intentions have always been for mods to be a part of the play experience.

6 hours ago, Guppycur said:

.... Modders can get away with a little animation issue, tfp can't.  I get that.  

:D what are you saying!

Come on! haven't you seen the animation we have in vanilla right now?

I'm coming up on 5K hrs in and haven't used any mods* yet because of the alpha factor. I've only submitted a handful of bug reports over the years, but I wouldn't be able to do so if I were using mods. The vanilla experience is still very compelling, and I get to see the true impact of changes as the various versions are released.

I also prefer Coke over Pepsi (Moxie over either).

ST ToS over any of the others (Enterprise as a runner-up).

Conservative over Liberal.

McDonalds over Burger King.

yet...

I like ~both~ ST and SW.

I like ~both~ DC and Marvel (cripes, Marvel fanboys suck btw).

I like Black Sabbath and JS Bach.

I like Eva Green and Amber Heard.

I do prefer Roger Moore over Connery...but only by a tiny bit.

This should prove that I generally prefer the "old fart" option when applicable (i.e. vanilla). 

I anticipate that when the game is released, perhaps even during beta (but probably not) that I'll go mod-happy as with any Bethesda game.

*I have utilized a POI pack at one point.

-Morloc

I would've voted for the first option, if it weren't for the last statement. I love mods, and I think it's great that even someone as unskilled in programming as me can make mods for other users to play with.

That being said, I wouldn't say that mods are the lifeblood of the game's ongoing future, cause that to me sounds like mods are the only thing that will keep the game afloat or interesting as time goes by, which isn't really true imo. While it's true that mods will definitely contribute to the replayability of the game, I think the game has enough content and replayability value in its vanilla version to be perfectly enjoyable without mods.

If I use mods, it's mainly cause there are some aspects of the game I dislike, and would rather change them to my liking; or that I want to try different experiences after so many hours of intended gameplay. However, I do think the vanilla version stands on itself just fine.

Archived