Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

On 6/6/2020 at 4:55 AM, Dethar said:

I know you are in Houston area, so I will assume you have been exposed to many kinds of guns. I will have to disagree with you on functionality. I consider ammo capacity part of that. Except for some customized rifles, I have never seen one with large bullet capacity. Second there is a difference between handling a magnum revolver and desert eagle. 

I must say it is fun to spin the cylinder of revolver before closing it. At least first few times firing one.

Also a thank you for bringing modding Community together. Its best of any game I have played.

There are other places in Texas you probably dont want to smell either. Pasadena Texas comes to mind with all the refineries. It can get pretty bad.

I'd agree that the *real* definition of assault rifles would include higher mag capacity and a full auto mode, but in today's world terms I'd argue that the difference is how scary they look.  The vast majority of "assault rifle" stories we see these days fit the latter.  

And yeh Pasadena smells pretty bad.  :)

As far as guns in the game, it's one area I encourage simplification.  One generic pistol, generic shotgun, generic rifle, generic machine gun, and let mods/ammo types handle the variations. 

So pretty close to how it is now. 

26 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

I'd agree that the *real* definition of assault rifles would include higher mag capacity and a full auto mode, but in today's world terms I'd argue that the difference is how scary they look.  The vast majority of "assault rifle" stories we see these days fit the latter.

If you want to get technical then we don't have any assault rifles in the game. None of them are select fire.

I still have hope the demolishers will get some balance tweaking for A19. 

The fun argument often brought forward, if bits and pieces are streamlined / cut from the game, could apply here as well. 

In its current state, base building fun is - at least for many people - partly reduced by demolishers. First by the amount of damage they do and the repairs necessary, then by the crater moonscape the leave behind. Spending a lot of game time in re-flattening a landscape just for the next demolisher horde feels even more pointless than sticks and raw iron. A cheesy basedesign shouldn't be necessary to make base building worthwhile.

Other than that, the new graphics are looking great and I am looking forward to 7D2D going gold, so there can be a sequel ;)

Vehicles got some attention the last two days:

Added vehicle driving increases food consumption (added vehicles.xml foodDrain (normal,turbo), driving tag and _vehicleFood cvar).

Fixed SDTD-12623 Vehicles remember the player velocity when falling. (a19 bug)
Fixed vehicle physics not transferred when client or server took control (stuck gyrocopters).

Fixed vehicle engine would not stop if broken.

Added players exiting vehicles retain most velocity.
Added vehicles keep full velocity when driver exits and no wheel on ground.

Changed: Driving a vehicle adds 25% to your base food/water drain that you normally lose just standing around. Sprinting a vehicle adds 60% (minibike) to 40% (gyro) of the food/water drain that you would have while sprinting on foot. (Gazz)

Yes, driving vehicles in the dirty, rundown, apocalyptic world now consumes food.

2 minutes ago, faatal said:

Added vehicle driving increases food consumption (added vehicles.xml foodDrain (normal,turbo), driving tag and _vehicleFood cvar).

Fixed vehicle physics not transferred when client or server took control (stuck gyrocopters).

Changed: Driving a vehicle adds 25% to your base food/water drain that you normally lose just standing around. Sprinting a vehicle adds 60% (minibike) to 40% (gyro) of the food/water drain that you would have while sprinting on foot. (Gazz)

Yes, driving vehicles in the dirty, rundown, apocalyptic world now consumes food.

i did not know cars eat!

9 minutes ago, faatal said:

BoHBRMq.gif

7 minutes ago, faatal said:

I assume we can thank the people driving away from horde night for this new silliness? Why else would food usage increase when we use less energy ourselves. ...sigh...

1 minute ago, JCrook1028 said:

I assume we can thank the people driving away from horde night for this new silliness? Why else would food usage increase when we use less energy ourselves. ...sigh...

I challenge you to drive a car down a beat up gravel or dirt road and see how easy it is. My wife and I did last year in a rental car and it was tense. Rock noise, bumping up and down, trying to not hit the big dips that might damage the car. That constant alertness and stress was definitely using calories.

Decaying old roads are not like the streets you are driving on now.

Now the gryo would not fall into that category, but I'd think sitting on a metal frame, looking down at the world with wind blasting you in the face and trying not to crash into something, would be equally stressful.

Joking aside, it's not so bad.  Who doesnt take food with them on long car rides?  Munchies be real people's!  If only we could eat while driving...🤣

Edit: this actually be a fun change so food doesn't stay only a tier 1 problem. 😃👍

2 minutes ago, faatal said:

I challenge you to drive a car down a beat up gravel or dirt road and see how easy it is. My wife and I did last year in a rental car and it was tense. Rock noise, bumping up and down, trying to not hit the big dips that might damage the car. That constant alertness and stress was definitely using calories.

Decaying old roads are not like the streets you are driving on now.

Now the gryo would not fall into that category, but I'd think sitting on a metal frame, looking down at the world with wind blasting you in the face and trying not to crash into something, would be equally stressful.

i would Perfer fixing Engines, car radiators, battery, tires 

but this will do!

4 minutes ago, LibbyA said:

I live in the countryside - believe me, any journey on bumpy, twisted roads takes its toll on the body, no matter how long or short!

I think the tricky part for the devs will be finding that magic number where food consumption while running x distance is not significantly lesser than driving the same distance...

...otherwise it becomes a mini game of I'll just run instead to save food...

12 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

Oh, and horde night was not a factor in that change. Vultures take care of that. 😱

51 minutes ago, faatal said:

Snap

I dont like to jump on a hate-train before i layed Hands on A19 before it is out, but this really sounds like BS.

If you want increase Gas Usage, but 60% more Food Drain?

Cmon Guys...

Yes i read your Story with your vacation Fataal, but Gamewise this doesnt make ANY sense considering you guys took out food Poisening "because it made no fun and felt cheesy"

12 minutes ago, Guppys Fur said:

I dont like to jump on a hate-train before i layed Hands on A19 before it is out, but this really sounds like BS.

If you want increase Gas Usage, but 60% more Food Drain?

Cmon Guys...

Yes i read your Story with your vacation Fataal, but Gamewise this doesnt make ANY sense considering you guys took out food Poisening "because it made no fun and felt cheesy"

It makes perfect sense to me, but if you want to remove it, it is defined in vehicles.xml for each vehicle.

(edit: In A18) Food is important in managing what you do early game to somewhere around mid game.

When I have more food I mine more.

Now in A19, there will be other food aspects you have to think about:

-Going on missions far away need to be reconsidered.

-Non Mission POI clearing near your base, will become a natural choice.

Archived