Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Only thing I can possible see go wrong is, the player 'feeling' like they need to eat more often in the game. If it feels no different then when a player doesn't have a vehicle yet, then eh.

Still seems a little off using the vehicles in this way as an added "food sink" but, who knows, till we know, at this point.

37 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Anybody care to provide a brief explanation on the niche appeal towards Linux and, more importantly, while it's still around? 😛

Extremely customizable so it allows a lot of freedom and there isn't a governing body that decides how you have to use it. The double edged blade side is it's extremely customizable which allows a lot of freedom and there's no governing body to decide on OS wide standards, so developers of software have to account for 400 bajillion variables. 

It's basically just used for servers or by ultra niche turbo nerds who feel like spending 2 hours trouble shooting issues every time they want to log in and do basically anything

If the idea is more centered around stopping the fleeing from Horde Night then perhaps a gradual debuff could be added to increase wear and tear on the vehicle the longer you're driving it at one time, increasing when you sprint for an extended duration? 

If they want to dissuade people driving around on Blood Moons, it would be way more effective to just have some kind of EMP effect on Bloodmoons that disable vehicles but leaves turrets and stuff online. That would make blood moon nights FAR more dangerous and tactical as well, since the great back up "hop on your motorcycle and drive away" would not be an option.  The Bicycle still working would also make stamina perks a lot more relevant and important than they currently are, as those don't scale into mid and late game at all

Food drain while driving doesn't impact blood moon night at all, people who want to drive away from the horde will just buy an extra can of chili from the vending machine and be fine. Seems more like it's just intended to make food more relevant as there's no real concern for food past like day 2

3 hours ago, NukemDed said:

I hit something on the motorbike the other day that made me do a 360 degree skid. that was unexpected. I was on a rampage smacking down any z I could find so was doing all sorts of random controller movements. one day I am going to build a loop de loop and see if a vehicle can go around it. I reckon that would be classy way to build a zombie proof vehicle entrance... I am assuming they cant walk on the roof yet.

Just created an account. I have been playing 7 Days to Die for years and have had a lot of fun with it.

I have a suggestion:

Could you make mods for the 4x4's back part? Maybe extra seats, or an auto turret or manned turret. Say a machine gun sprouting from the tire on top or some car seats strapped on the back. Maybe have it so you can only have one at a time, so you have to choose wisely.

Just a thought.

1 minute ago, MTASTEYO said:

Just created an account. I have been playing 7 Days to Die for years and have had a lot of fun with it.

I have a suggestion:

Could you make mods for the 4x4's back part? Maybe extra seats, or an auto turret or manned turret. Say a machine gun sprouting from the tire on top or some car seats strapped on the back. Maybe have it so you can only have one at a time, so you have to choose wisely.

Just a thought.

welcome :)

4 hours ago, Damocles said:

The physics are not really in conflict with the voxel system, as long as the total speed is not too high (so the chunks can update).

The voxels generate collision meshes (mesh colliders), so the physics can run just fine in conjunction with them - just as is other games with static levels.

Once the vehicles leaves the ground (jumping over a big enough bump) it could in my opinion switch to standard rigidbody physics. This would allow for nice playerbuild stunt parcours, and all kinds of funny moments.

When on ground, and not moving,  the game could flip the vehicle upside again if needed.

No, we have to hold the players hand and that means the vehicle can't tip over and can drive underwater.

As for the food, meh.  Who's in a vehicle that long anyway.  By the time you have a vehicle, you're crates deep in food.  

Guest Rust Buddy

this is unbelievable!

guarinteed this stupid food drain is the dumbed down cop out version of what MM told us months ago how parts of the car would wear out and we’d have to repair it or if we hit something there could be a critical malfunction we would need to repair. 

but when it came time to actually do it they said nope. Let’s just have their food drain instead if using a vehicle—- way easier!!

come on!  Just do a proper food spoilage system instead of using all these weird and lame bandaids to fix the food survival problem in the game. 

candy in a vending machine is nothing to brag about. Having food spoil and crops die and using electricity for fridges to preserve food is something to brag about. 

if my car consumes food can I consume petrol!??!

1 hour ago, SheeleMara said:

If the idea is more centered around stopping the fleeing from Horde Night then perhaps a gradual debuff could be added to increase wear and tear on the vehicle the longer you're driving it at one time, increasing when you sprint for an extended duration? 

Honestly don't see the Appeal in fleeing in the first place. It's Free XP, and in some cases, free loot.

9 minutes ago, Ryfyle said:

Honestly don't see the Appeal in fleeing in the first place. It's Free XP, and in some cases, free loot.

I would guess one of the following applies.

1) just died during bloodmoon horde and rather run away.

2) just logged in to MP server and not prepared for BM horde.

3) unable to disable (e.g. MP server)

4) too lazy to disable and renable..🤣

3 minutes ago, Rust Buddy said:

this is unbelievable!

guarinteed this stupid food drain is the dumbed down cop out version of what MM told us months ago how parts of the car would wear out and we’d have to repair it or if we hit something there could be a critical malfunction we would need to repair. 

but when it came time to actually do it they said nope. Let’s just have their food drain instead if using a vehicle—- way easier!!

come on!  Just do a proper food spoilage system instead of using all these weird and lame bandaids to fix the food survival problem in the game. 

candy in a vending machine is nothing to brag about. Having food spoil and crops die and using electricity for fridges to preserve food is something to brag about. 

if my car consumes food can I consume petrol!??!

Well this is a game where your already loading self loading cartridges with Black Powder and Cast Lead Projectiles, AKM's that fire 7.62 NATO, And meth lab Gasoline. It's simply magical that none of the AK-47's you can craft have yet to explode on their first round due to improper head spacing. Lets not forget that the Mold on Moldy bread is the just the right mold to make Penicillin on a campfire.

9 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I would guess one of the following applies.

1) just died during bloodmoon horde and rather run away.

2) unable to disable (e.g. MP server)

3) too lazy to disable and renable..🤣

How late in the game do you need to be to have that first one happen?

terrible idea adding food consumption to driving, in my opinion.  If its to keep folks from driving off on horde night, just have the electric storm from the blood moon disable vehicles.  If its just a food sink, then remove the amount of food, while improving the quality of it.  In the spirit of open dialogue, I have never been a fan of the amount of micromanagement food takes in this game.  Its probably my biggest pet peeve with the game at this point.

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Anybody care to provide a brief explanation on the niche appeal towards Linux and, more importantly, while it's still around? 😛

Personally, I was using windows 10 all "happy" as could be.  ( I have always had a hatred for microsoft, even if it's not based in reality. )

During one of their automatic updates, something went wrong and my laptop turned into a paperweight.  Rather than try to go about fixing it with the OS that would give me the best results in all things, I went for the option that would turn my brick back into a computer quicker.  Got a flash drive and put a Linux install on it.  Functionality is miserable.  But it's good enough for an internet box.  This potato wasn't good at playing most games anyway.  I'm banished from playing intensive games anyway until I get a new rig, at which time I will be going back to windows, but with a physical disc installation.  So that future bricks can be resolved with minimal time spent on getting full functionality.

3 hours ago, Khalagar said:

From the numbers I've seen for most companies, it's usually something like Linux users are less than 0.1% of the user base and over 20% of the support tickets. I'm honestly a bit surprised this game works on Linux. If they were going to hire full time staff just to support weird things, they would get a way, way, way higher RoI to just hire someone who knows consoles to port the updates to consoles. There's still a weirdly high amount of people who insist on playing the ancient console version, judging by every TFP Tweet having 400 "WHERE'S MY CONSOLE UPDATE" comments

I didn't say that they hired dedicated people to support Linux, I was saying that they probably have people on the team that use Linux.

I know quite a few people, my self included, that after a long day of working with Windows features want to come home to stuff that actually works. 😀

And for the console stuff, it's not the development that's the hard part. It's the publishing restrictions.

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Because I get tired of fixing windows. Also Linux is not niche, it's probably running on every device you own. Yes even your windows PC uses it. 

24 minutes ago, forgetful genius said:

Personally, I was using windows 10 all "happy" as could be.  ( I have always had a hatred for microsoft, even if it's not based in reality. )

During one of their automatic updates, something went wrong and my laptop turned into a paperweight.  Rather than try to go about fixing it with the OS that would give me the best results in all things, I went for the option that would turn my brick back into a computer quicker.  Got a flash drive and put a Linux install on it.  Functionality is miserable.  But it's good enough for an internet box.  This potato wasn't good at playing most games anyway.  I'm banished from playing intensive games anyway until I get a new rig, at which time I will be going back to windows, but with a physical disc installation.  So that future bricks can be resolved with minimal time spent on getting full functionality.

I'm sorry you're computer crashed but if you set it up with a real disk she would fly. Let me know if you need some help, I don't mind helping people convert. 🐧

3 hours ago, SheeleMara said:

I already said it has nothing to do with horde nights. That has been addressed in A19 by the use of Vultures.

8 hours ago, faatal said:

I challenge you to drive a car down a beat up gravel or dirt road and see how easy it is. My wife and I did last year in a rental car and it was tense. Rock noise, bumping up and down, trying to not hit the big dips that might damage the car. That constant alertness and stress was definitely using calories.

Decaying old roads are not like the streets you are driving on now.

Now the gryo would not fall into that category, but I'd think sitting on a metal frame, looking down at the world with wind blasting you in the face and trying not to crash into something, would be equally stressful.

Living in a mauntainous town with heavy snows up to 1 meter high sometimes.. It is not only calories, it takes brain cells if not using them properly.

Good addition and explanation why it is in, have your time guys, and we here can't wait for the release.

Archived