I'm glad I can still play A16

Ac75

Actually, it's the most convenient solution. The vending machines are refilled every day, the food is not expensive if you do quests anyway and it is safe.

You can also find a lot of food in every POI.

And as for necessity, the probability says nothing about whether it happens to you or not and how often it happens to you. 4% only says that it happens on average every 25 meals. But it can also happen twice in a row or after 100 times.

Different definitions of convenient I guess. I find it more convenient to have to eat one, maybe two, things per day rather than 5-10 canned goods. Sure, the difference is small.... but thats why it's a convenience and not a necessity. There is no right or wrong way to do it.

Actually, it's the most convenient solution. The vending machines are refilled every day, the food is not expensive if you do quests anyway and it is safe.

You can also find a lot of food in every POI.

And as for necessity, the probability says nothing about whether it happens to you or not and how often it happens to you. 4% only says that it happens on average every 25 meals. But it can also happen twice in a row or after 100 times.

I never said it wasn't convenient (in fact, it's just another completely fair way to play the game). I just said it was unnecessary and exaggerated if you're doing it now just because of the food poisoning chance, because it is.

Sure, it's a chance, which means everyone has a different experience, but at the end of the day, it doesn't change the fact that it's still just a 4% chance that can be completely avoided altogether through many other methods.

At the end of the day, what I'm saying is that I can't see how it's that big of a bother to anyone.

Different definitions of convenient I guess. I find it more convenient to have to eat one, maybe two, things per day rather than 5-10 canned goods. Sure, the difference is small.... but thats why it's a convenience and not a necessity. There is no right or wrong way to do it.

Now that you can over eat, I usually "over food" myself in the base with steak and potatoes or whatever I made. If something bad happens I can remedy it in the base. On the road I take a stack of canned Sham to keep it up. So far so good.

I keep a stack of bacon/eggs with me, and if I barf, I just eat more of the stack.

BEFORE starting a POI quest.

remember the "everyone make sure you 'go' before we get in the car"?

Same thing.

(and always seem to get cans of food in the POI, so can top up on the low can things, then scrap the cans to save space)

I was worried about food poisoning, but it's really a non-issue.

Ever watch any bushcraft videos on youtube? Those folks cook their meat on flat stones they just hauled out the ground, and the food is often covered with dirt, moss, worms and dead things. Yet once it's been over the fire charring for 10 minutes, it's FINE.

and heavy editing and not once do you see them use the bathroom, of course they'd edit anything negative out, it would invalidate the whole filming to prove it works...even those shows like "naked and afraid" show illness from from bad food and the fact film crews can help between filmings if things get too bad...

and heavy editing and not once do you see them use the bathroom, of course they'd edit anything negative out, it would invalidate the whole filming to prove it works...even those shows like "naked and afraid" show illness from from bad food and the fact film crews can help between filmings if things get too bad...

Next you'll tell me WWF wrestling is fake or scripted or something!

A18 sucks when played on default or greater loot settings. Period. You don't have to acquire food because you just find cans or buy it, many perks feel useless because you already loot everything you need or craft it via schematics. A18 however is great with 50 or less loot. 4% poisoning chance is non-issue when you establish some decent food production (you can't afford feeding yourself with cans only anyway) and both perks and crafting becomes rewarding, while looting and scavenging is still quite enticing. Lootlists still need improvement, but it's just a matter of fine-tuning now.

A16's zombie loot completely ruined the game's item economy. It was essentially an endless automatic loot delivery system and undermined important parts of the game like exploring and crafting. Balancing it was a no-brainer.

I miss LBD too and I am 100% convinced that fixing it instead of replacing it would be the better choice. Unfortunately it's too late for that, but at least the current system is in a much better state than it was when they implemented it.

Don't be just glad : be thankful. TFP is one of the rare devs that let you play in previous versions. And it's a good thing for people who stay stuck on a specific gameplay and don't like the new ones.

I think people would post a version of it somewhere - I'd like to think, at least

That's literally ALL this game ever needed.

The very vocal people who played the game too much already who pushed the notion "You can just craft 100 axes and level up" messed up this games develoment and made some of the best elements and mechanics get redesigned.

All because of people who played the game and exploited it. Newsflash: Not everyone was exploiting the game like you losers were!

Instead, in A17 and A18, killing zombies magically makes you better at doing things and magically able to craft different things.....

....Just by killing a few zombies?

I will never see that as progress for this game. I can't.

That's literally ALL this game ever needed.

The very vocal people who played the game too much already who pushed the notion "You can just craft 100 axes and level up" messed up this games develoment and made some of the best elements and mechanics get redesigned.

All because of people who played the game and exploited it. Newsflash: Not everyone was exploiting the game like you losers were!

Instead, in A17 and A18, killing zombies magically makes you better at doing things and magically able to craft different things.....

....Just by killing a few zombies?

I will never see that as progress for this game. I can't.

While you're "name-calling", let's not forget that it's only a handful of people that enjoyed the "best mechanics" that were in A16; as well as don't forget you can gain XP by building, upgrading, breaking buildings down, wrenching stuff, quests, treasure hunts, mining, digging dirt, looting, some crafting, farming... hmm, isn't that what you like? Bottom line is, this is how a majority of players want (more players than ever, especially during the A16 days), and how the creators of the game wanted it. The game is called 7 Days to Die, and challenges you to survive the horde - not, "Well, there are zombies but they don't really bother you unless you want them to, it's just really a crafting/farm simulator". You can mod the game, change whatever you want. Make it grant you 1,000,000 XP per whatever you want to do. Change the crafting system to dull A16 if you want. In A16 (until you found out that you could have 1,000,000 zombies on insane mode on horde nights and they were defeated by cobblestone walls because of bad AI), it would take literal dozens of hours to level anything. Archery? Millions of arrows. Gun skills? Millions of bullets. Better at wearing armor? Better take damage for the next 10 hours straight. Mining? Better mine constantly for 3 days. You can't even balance that system. So, if I let a zombie or a cactus or barbed wire damage me for 3 hours straight, I magically get better at wearing armor, giving me more damage resistance? Where even is the difference?

But what do I know? Lol Don't be afraid of change, nor don't jump to hatred without opening your mind a bit.

While you’re realizing that killing zombies shouldn’t magically level us up in other skills how about realizing that there is no faction of players that magically controls the devs into making design decisions.

LBD was dropped because the developers didn’t want it or like it. Period. They needed no outside encouragement for that change.

TFP listens to players about balance and adjustments but they only listen to themselves for full design removals or inclusions. LBD is actually proof they are not swayed by public sentiment if they believe it is bad for the game.

Otherwise it would have been back by now along with double the outdoor zombies who would all have loot and be able to be chopped up for bones and rotten flesh using the purple steel fire axe I crafted myself....

Yeah, I much prefer the learn by doing system to the garbage we have now. Just remove crafting from it, and have crafting be level locked or something for tiers. Darkness Falls mod for A17.4 is a good example, it has action skills for: Weapons, armor use, athletics (running/jumping), medical, construction. with crafting skills being lv locked, and the perks for a specific weapon are at 0/20/40/60/80 skill in the weapon. Most players prefer the learn by doing system as far as I can tell. Mind you balancing is probally much easier with the current perk system, though they devs really need to test on nomad or warrior difficulty as adventurer inflates the players damage a bit. Most of the melee weapons other than sledge and club just aren't really viable on higher difficulties due to lack of damage, and more so lack of useful secondary effects.

I still think its funny people don't get the cooked food chance for sickness...I mean, you are living in filthy conditions, using tools to cook you may have used recently to kill a zombie (hunting knife on zombie and deer? cross contamination at the very least...ew) and not once have you washed your hands...ever

any contamination in the water is in every veggie and animal in the world of 7dtd

Not to mention using boiled water from toilets......I dont care how much you boil that......there is always going to be a chance at diarrhea consuming that hahaha

Not to mention using boiled water from toilets......I dont care how much you boil that......there is always going to be a chance at diarrhea consuming that hahaha

I've never seen a game with so many people jumping to defend very obviously broken aspects of the game. I'll never understand how people can defend some of the absolutely terrible changes that have happened.

- - - Updated - - -

While you’re realizing that killing zombies shouldn’t magically level us up in other skills how about realizing that there is no faction of players that magically controls the devs into making design decisions.

LBD was dropped because the developers didn’t want it or like it. Period. They needed no outside encouragement for that change.

TFP listens to players about balance and adjustments but they only listen to themselves for full design removals or inclusions. LBD is actually proof they are not swayed by public sentiment if they believe it is bad for the game.

Otherwise it would have been back by now along with double the outdoor zombies who would all have loot and be able to be chopped up for bones and rotten flesh using the purple steel fire axe I crafted myself....

Nowhere does any of that say the decision was a good decision. It was not, IMO, and in the opinion of many others.

I've never seen a game with so many people jumping to defend very obviously broken aspects of the game. I'll never understand how people can defend some of the absolutely terrible changes that have happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Nowhere does any of that say the decision was a good decision. It was not, IMO, and in the opinion of many others.

Holy crap, dude.... every single post you've made has been a shot at the game. Why are you even playing it, since you so clearly dislike it?

- - - Updated - - -

Then you need to understand that not everyone agrees with your opinion, and that those are don't agree with it, aren't simply doing so because they're "losers".

Yes, LBD has some level of support in the community, so you aren't actually the only one wanting it back, but so does the current system also, which some consider to be superior to LBD. More importantly, the Devs feel it works better, so it's highly unlikely they'll revert to LBD.

Then you need to understand that not everyone agrees with your opinion, and that those are don't agree with it, aren't simply doing so because they're "losers".

Yes, LBD has some level of support in the community, so you aren't actually the only one wanting it back, but so does the current system also, which some consider to be superior to LBD. More importantly, the Devs feel it works better, so it's highly unlikely they'll revert to LBD.

I for one didn't like how LBD was set up. It could of turned out probably great if time was spent on it. I have no issues at all besides some balancing issues and small adjustments of what they have now and really love it. Sure I get more xp killing zombies but isn't that what the game is? At least in my opinion. But I try to only kill zombies that I must kill because I don't want to get my game stage way up. I can still lvl up by crafting, upgrading, looking, mining. So it isn't all about killing zombies. Anyway point is I'm one that loves the way it is over the LBD and I'm glad LBD isn't never coming back in the vanilla version. Also to Ac75 I don't see where it shows it was a bad decision because it was and many feel it was in our opinion of course. ;)

I was meaning hobbyists who go alone and film themselves camping on their own channels. Believe me if they got food poisoning they'd film it because it would be seen as good tv.

I for one didn't like how LBD was set up. It could of turned out probably great if time was spent on it. I have no issues at all besides some balancing issues and small adjustments of what they have now and really love it. Sure I get more xp killing zombies but isn't that what the game is? At least in my opinion. But I try to only kill zombies that I must kill because I don't want to get my game stage way up. I can still lvl up by crafting, upgrading, looking, mining. So it isn't all about killing zombies. Anyway point is I'm one that loves the way it is over the LBD and I'm glad LBD isn't never coming back in the vanilla version. Also to Ac75 I don't see where it shows it was a bad decision because it was and many feel it was in our opinion of course. ;)

I'm in a similar boat - LBD as it was implemented had its issues, but they could have been worked out I think. That said, the new system is growing on me also, so I don't mind it near so much as I did in A17 (#levelgate), and I'm happy to go with this from here on out.

Alpha 17, despite some of it's positives was a huge let down in game play for me. Being mainly a melee guy, the new mechanic was torture to learn, and was too precise (pin point accuracy with a blunt weapon). The skills tree was bethesda boring and uninspired. I didn't care for that at all. And the stamina drain was a thing of hatred.

I tried to enjoy it, but it was to me the most boring game play since I started in Alpha 11. So I quit playing, i started again with some mods, Khaine's Mod kept me going for quite some time and added back a lot of the fun the pimps stripped away. But the boring small flat maps weren't much fun to explore.

But that only lasted for a while, the game still had something missing that previous alphas had.

Alpha 18, much much improved over 17 as far as I'm concerned, however outside of getting infected on the first day and going through 2 massive hospitals and countless buildings and not finding an antibiotic, only to finally find enough to cure me in the huge shamway warehouse complex, I've been pretty bored. And the rng maps, while more variation in height which is nice, are far to small and not much fun to explore or loot. And I think the dungeon Poi's get a bit stale to loot to quickly. It's great there is so many, but it almost takes to long especially if you're looking for one specific item like honey or antibiotics when you're infected.... Although that mechanic is SO much more fun than the a17 version which I despised. It's more like the early alphas with it's stages.

I couldn't stop playing in alpha 11 -16, well to be fair in 16 I did stop a few months before 17 came out because I didn't want to start over when we all thought the new alpha was just around the corner. but then month ticked away month ;)

I'm happy people are enjoying it, I'm glad there is older versions for those that wish to go back. I just find the game is less interesting and I find I can make up an excuse not to play or start again when before it was such a huge draw, Always something I wanted to do to improve the base, or change or find, or finish leveling.

Something about the game play has soured my experience and it isn't as fun or enjoyable as it used to be. For me at least. I don't like the specific item parts (steel tool parts, bat parts? seriously? it's a bat) but I'm sure that can get modded out.

And the getting diarrhea from boiled water did frustrate me as it happened 4 times out of 7 drinks the first day I played. Of course learning you don't drink boiled water and after that it wasn't an issue any more. but still to me that's a goofy mechanic. I can see some arguments make sense for that, but yeah...

Also stack sizes need fixing. Add a bottle for pills, 10 pills in a stack?? I mean that would just sit at the bottom of your pocket and not take up any real room. but yes, of course no way I'm carrying a stack of 500 flagstone blocks either ;)

but anywho, enjoy it, don't, complain for a bit, and play something else until it feels more balanced and fun. :)

PS

I forgot to mention zombie ai, I believe this is one of the main detractors of the enjoyment. It's to predictable and simple to cheat. But at the same time if you don't they all attack one block which makes it lame too. I like dumb zombies, I've always enjoyed the dumb zombie movies, Always could point out what I would do to stop their progress in a movie (or in the walking dead which come on, some dumb decisions in that show - read the comic it's better :) ) but now, they are too smart for their own good and it hurts the game for me.

The only thing I dislike about A18 is its balance. The game feels as if balance is absent from it . Instead what seems to be the case is random ideas clutched together to form the illusion of continuity . Specifically:

-On one point you find insane amounts of food but farming has now been nerfed so much so there is no point in level living off the land more than once. Any IDIOT with a hoe can hoe the land ,add a little bit of water and wait for the crops to grow. The water mechanics were removed , the hoeing mechanics were removed and now we need not 1 not 4 but 5 crops to grow on a very nutrient rich land. If you want to hear my opinion on this is you need to bring back both the water aspect of the game , the hoeing part, the part where you can craft more nutritious land and on top of that to actually care about your land. Ever played zomboid or the forest? Planting is easy. Managing your plants is not.

-The crafty engineer who is also a brute warrior . The very illogical concept where someone who can craft a weapon is necessary able to wield it fine . An idea which is as unrealistic as it is unbalanced . The skill trees need to be different and honestly this is where A16 shined . Being able to craft items was not the equivalent of being able to use them until practice made you perfect .

-Perks that do not require intelligence for farming and cooking . Perks that require to be able to hold more items on your back. Stun batons placed in intelligence. Fortitude perk tree being basically useless when it should be critical for survival .

-The element of building huge bases . Whereas in A16 and even in A17 you could focus on building massive concrete structures in A18 that ability is gone. The crafting materials require at least twice the amount of stone. The wood blocks no longer upgrade to iron which is hard to find but to cobblestone which is easy to find early, yet hard to find late as you are using the stone for concrete. Crafting and filling blocks faster *should* be an ability of a good worker . It is not.

-The exponential growth of skill required to level up. Instead of relying on linear leveling the game uses exponential growth but provides no exponential experience gain like summoning thousands of zombies. Instead you are left to grind for the same weak zombies again and again with silly bridge designs and endless lines of blade traps.

-Random toxic food consumption. A concept which is as unnecessary as it is annoying .

Generally each version feels like one step forward but one step backwards . I think the devs should now stop focusing on adding more content on the game but focus on fixing the completely unrealistic parts of the game.

Archived