Bring Back the Plains

SlicksGirl

+1 on ability to make highly customized biomes via modding. This would open the path to many interesting new biomes that people come up with.
Up until A16 you could at least utilize, I think 12 different biomes, a couple that were only used in Navezgane. Now there are 5. Just.. why?

I don't think they are 'gone'. If they were removed for optimization, then they will probably be back in the next update. This version obviously had significant graphics overhaul, and they probably didn't complete whatever they were doing with the removed biomes. People need to remember this is still an alpha, not even a beta version of the finished game.

I don't think they are 'gone'. If they were removed for optimization, then they will probably be back in the next update. This version obviously had significant graphics overhaul, and they probably didn't complete whatever they were doing with the removed biomes. People need to remember this is still an alpha, not even a beta version of the finished game.

the terrain blocks and textures are not in 17. just like the icons for maple and birch trees are not in 17.

I think I would prefer a swamp biome at this point. Some muck covered and hillbilly zombies lurking in waist-high water would be neat encounters. Maybe harvest methane gas from the biome as a material to some explosive crafted items. Make mushrooms spawn in higher probabilities here. Throw in some gators/zombie gators that drag your ass underwater.

I remember the first time I stepped out of the forest and looked out over a large Plains biome. It made the game seem so much "bigger" after scrambling through wasteland and forest.

Looking around, I spotted a deer, a few bunnies, a few mineral deposits and my first thought was.. "Oh Yeah! Home base".

Even in Video games, Humans tend to be very "Territorial" by nature; liking to set up a place to return to as a home. Once the Dev's realize that giving the players more options to fill this need, the game will start regaining it's popularity.

Pretty sure someone said they would bring em back in time, just needed to simplify for now cause the game has gone through a lot of changes to get 17 out.

And yes, plains was the best to live in- cause you could actually see the world without overheating (desert) constantly. The only major issue I took with it- is the plains seemed to be 70% of the world in most worlds I genned.

I made this as proof of concept, It's playable but I was limited in what I could do with XML so it doesn't look that good. I replaced the burnt forest biome with this. The distant terrain is horrible looking. I wish the pimps would bring it back because I know they'd make it look super amazing.

https://ibb.co/album/h5RHBF - Original Resolution

plains1.pngplains2.pngplains3.pngplains4.pngplains5.pngplains7.png[/img]

Pretty sure someone said they would bring em back in time, just needed to simplify for now cause the game has gone through a lot of changes to get 17 out.

And yes, plains was the best to live in- cause you could actually see the world without overheating (desert) constantly. The only major issue I took with it- is the plains seemed to be 70% of the world in most worlds I genned.

afQS5fr.png

The is the ONE important detail in madmoles post: the terrain shader can only handle a certain number of textures. Thus, there can only be a certain number of biomes at the same time (at a certain quality level).

We have 5 main biomes currently.

I think that the wasteland and burning forest biomes should be replaced by other, more interesting biomes.

Whats not possible is to simply add more biomes, because people want more biomes. Some need to be replaced.

I made this as proof of concept, It's playable but I was limited in what I could do with XML so it doesn't look that good. I replaced the burnt forest biome with this. The distant terrain is horrible looking. I wish the pimps would bring it back because I know they'd make it look super amazing.

https://ibb.co/album/h5RHBF - Original Resolution

plains1.pngplains2.pngplains3.pngplains4.pngplains5.pngplains7.png[/img]

the distant-terrains looks bad just because you use textures from "Dirt", if you put textures from the plains there everything looked as usual. Well, some more color adjustments. When i did this, i didn't notice any problems with shaders that couldn't be solved. Do not believe them - noodles on ears hang up (i hate it....).

lying won't do any good.

my assets now contain about 40 different textures for terrans, the difficulties are simply due to adjus the color and intensity settings of normal maps.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?86145-HDHQ-Textures-Lighting-Environment&p=958645&viewfull=1#post958645

If you mean the OLD plains, sure.

If you mean that ugly, scrubby one we had in A16 with all the little cactuses and vultures everywhere, forget it, good riddance.

of course... very strange was to see that they have made with plains in A16. There was an opinion that they made it purposely what to show what sh*t they can make.

the distant-terrains looks bad just because you use textures from "Dirt", if you put textures from the plains there everything looked as usual. Well, some more color adjustments. When i did this, i didn't notice any problems with shaders that couldn't be solved. Do not believe them - noodles on ears hang up (i hate it....).

lying won't do any good.

my assets now contain about 40 different textures for terrans, the difficulties are simply due to adjus the color and intensity settings of normal maps.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?86145-HDHQ-Textures-Lighting-Environment&p=958645&viewfull=1#post958645

But there is no "plains texture" in the XML. Unless it got changed to something else.

But there is no "plains texture" in the XML. Unless it got changed to something else.

Yes - they are absent. But some textures (which you do not use, clay as example) can be replaced by old texture from the plains with the help of UABE. This is simple way. Just load your own texture into an existing resource.

In that quote provided by TSBX, Madmole said that plains could be used as a sub-biome. Is that currently the case? I’d rather see plains return as a main biome and for burnt forest to become a sub-biome of forest.

No, they completely removed it from their files, along with the brown maples and birch trees. Why not just leave in there for modders? I have no idea in the slightest. They left a lot of junk in there but take out some really useful stuff. Logics

- - - Updated - - -

Yes - they are absent. But some textures (which you do not use, clay as example) can be replaced by old texture from the plains with the help of UABE. This is simple way. Just load your own texture into an existing resource.

Is there a way I can grab those files without having to re-download 16.4?

No, they completely removed it from their files, along with the brown maples and birch trees. Why not just leave in there for modders? I have no idea in the slightest. They left a lot of junk in there but take out some really useful stuff. Logics

Some trees are still in the resources ... you need UABE to find out their names :).

Is there a way I can grab those files without having to re-download 16.4?

It is useful to have archives of all Alphas.

If the game engine's core can only handle a few biomes seems to be a restriction of the technology... was this a consequence of the new Unity engine? If so, seems like the upgrade had a price (among others that have also been pinned on the unity engine). I know it was a long port, but it makes one wonder if the new engine is even right for the game (it should be, so it's hard to understand how Unity's newer version is less functional than the old).

If the game engine's core can only handle a few biomes seems to be a restriction of the technology... was this a consequence of the new Unity engine? If so, seems like the upgrade had a price (among others that have also been pinned on the unity engine). I know it was a long port, but it makes one wonder if the new engine is even right for the game (it should be, so it's hard to understand how Unity's newer version is less functional than the old).

I think the engine had nothing to do with it. Just like before. I'd say "bad carpenter blames his tools" but that doesn't quite fit our developers. Just who have the bad habit to explain everything not the actual state of affairs and made-up reasons. This isn't the first time.

...maybe it's his character, but still - i like this bearded man :).

Archived