Bring Back the Plains

SlicksGirl

I realize this request may not be fulfilled by the devs at TFP. But maybe if enough players express a desire for having our beautiful golden plains biome brought back into the game, we might stand a chance. (yes i realized it was removed for "optimization" but the maple forest and "swamp" was also removed and I am fine with those gone.)

so if you want the plains biome brought back, please leave a comment and explain why or what it means for you.

:strawberry:

For me the golden fields were home in the game. I parked my base on a bridge in navasgane or a tower in RW right on their edge to enjoy those golden views, which were similar to the valleys in california in the summer where I grew up. I enjoyed picking corn and berries as i skipped through the fields of gold in the game. Personally i'd love to see the maple and oak trees scattered through the plains biome in fields of gold. While i think the birch trees make a lovely contrast to the pine in the forest region.

There were two other biomes too? I wouldn't mind those back too even though I don't know what they are. The more the merrier...

we used to have two forests Maple and pine, maple was warm, pine was cool (snow biome was coldest) and around bodies of water we had a sort of swamp biome that was sort of like the desert but with grass and the sounds of frogs. and then there was the Plains. so really, they removed 3 full biomes. Water, Maple forest, Plains.

we used to have two forests Maple and pine, maple was warm, pine was cool (snow biome was coldest) and around bodies of water we had a sort of swamp biome that was sort of like the desert but with grass and the sounds of frogs. and then there was the Plains. so really, they removed 3 full biomes. Water, Maple forest, Plains.

Is this something that could be brought back with mods possibly? Given what was said about performance it is sadly unlikely they are gonna make a comeback without mods. Madmole has made it clear his intent is to reduce, not increase the complaints about performance lol

Is this something that could be brought back with mods possibly? Given what was said about performance it is sadly unlikely they are gonna make a comeback without mods. Madmole has made it clear his intent is to reduce, not increase the complaints about performance lol

the textures are gone, or at least we havnt found them. until we locate the texture models, probably not. Or at lease, it would take an SDX modders capabilities and probably a mod that has to be downloaded. (rather than server side only) I'll be looking into it again next week.

Plains I liked, because I modded it to serve a particular purpose. I reduced animal spawning in the other biomes, but increased in the plains, then removed the ore generation from the plains. It then became my "go to Biome" for meat, but for nothing else. I did that with all the biomes, gave each of them a specific purpose, to encourage greater variety in my "daily" activities.

Unfortunately, the small number of biomes currently available makes that sort of customisation no longer really viable.

I also loved Plains. It was my favorite biome as well, even though it had no "unique features" (something that could have been fixed). Would have been great to have that be the main biome where things like farms and Old West towns were located. While I did like the two separate tree biomes, I don't miss that split much, really. Just plains. :(

I have never settled on the plains myself but always preferred the maple forests. However, I am currently playing on the Navezgane map and the plains have been replaced by the snow region.

With this the area on which you could settle in pleasant temperatures was massively reduced. In addition, there were some flat areas in the plains where you could build larger bases. Instead I had to remove hills to get enough flat area for a bigger base.

Did they ever give a reason?

I always liked the plains too. Where I always got my coal from.

I'd like to see even more biomes. A proper swamp, better forests, maybe some jungle.

Yes, they called it: - "nobody likes the"...

You need less biomes, more is not "fun"

I'd trade plains for wastelands anytime

There's no point - i don't see actual limits on the number of biomes right now.

Can still easily 10 (maybe more) just add.

I guess they just don't have time for that(the transition to a new engine took all the strength and desire).

It's a pity they just don't talk about it directly. But the lame excuses, holding us for fools.

I think it would be tons helpful if we had a few additional assets added (trees, plants, maybe some new ground types) which, in sum with every other we have, could allow for further diversification.

Like for example you could create:

- a new type of mild temperature forest with less hills, but more diverse trees

- a new snowy hills area, where trees are scarce, but elevation is high

- a new sub biome called oasis, where it sits somewhere in the desert, but has some lush plants, water and a couple trees

- a new sub biome called forest clearing, where it would be a big flat space with only grass and plants

We could go on and on, but i would love to have some kind of mechanic to define which biomes can be next to which, like snow can be only adjacent to forest and wasteland, desert can be next to forest and burnt, etc.

Not only bring plains back, allow modders to use as many different biomes as they want. With different zombie spawns. I heard the reason to reduce biomes was that Joel didn't like how different terrain textures looked when they met each others - I don't even care about different terrain blocks. The above ground decoration makes a biome interesting, and of course the aforementioned zombie population.

Archived