Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I imagine for A18, demolishers would be nearly impossible to kill with only fall damage... but who knows.

50% fall damage (of current health!) makes sure that ALL zombies are nearly impossible to kill with only fall damage. They all will need a further gentle push to meet their maker

ok, back to long cylindrical objects that explode...

Dynamite. snowdog, out of the gutter, we need breathing space.

I think they bounce a bit too much. yes when tossed they do bounce a little, but if you watch MM's video, he night as well be tossing tennis balls. buy an m80 firecracker, they are comparable in density and material. trust me they dont bounce like that. try a road flare. they are lighter and not as dense. they do bounce a bit more than dynamite, and even they dont bounce that much.

Dynamite was using a too big and yet too small box collider. Today I made some changes:

Added dynamite collision cylinders and made spark light bigger and dimmer.

Reduced dynamite, grenade, molotov and pipebomb size and increased or added stickiness.

Decreased molotov buff radius by .3m.

Fixed SDTD-10657 Pinned grenades just sit next to other ones exploding (added Item tag to grenades, molotov and timed charge).

MM,

Has RWG creation times been greatly reduced for 18?

Asking because thought I would generate a new map to play on 17 for the next few weeks and it is now going on 2+ hours and still not done. :)

I have 2700+ hours playing this game. I mainly lurk and read here.

Thanks,

Chris

Hard to guess with all the changes and I have not done any A17 comparisons. There is definitely room for improvement, but functionality and bug fixing has been higher priority. I can make an 8k map in about 25 mins, but it would depend on your computer speed.

More like jack the GS 100-200 above yours and you know you are going to get some amazing loot, but be ready for a glowing sea of radiated badasses. Also be on the time crunch because your hazmat suit would either degrade or leak some radiation in no matter how good it is, putting a finite time pressure on you to get in and out before you die of radiation poisoning.

So swapping out your normal armor for a radiation suit isn't bad enough with the up to a plus 200 GS??

That whole area will be for people who no longer care how many times they die. Die 50-100 times (who cares) and come out with stuff that makes the normal game broken...

Needs a rethink.

Has there been any server optimisations for horde night? AVG server FPS is usually around 35, but can drop to 5 on a horde night. Also, will the maps still be loaded into RAM?

A lot of stuff has changed, like AI uses a completely different character controller and a variety of things have been optimized, so we shall see.

I’m almost gone to please my channel community with this information! =) Can you list some of the most nasty mistakes that still need to be fixed?

Oh no! We are back to 12, but 2 of those are basically done.

There is a thrown spear crash bug, but that should be fixed in the morning.

Navezgane maps try to download.

4 RWG problems.

A loot container bug.

2 sound tasks.

2 design (xml) problems.

Oh no! We are back to 12, but 2 of those are basically done.

There is a thrown spear crash bug, but that should be fixed in the morning.

Navezgane maps try to download.

4 RWG problems.

A loot container bug.

2 sound tasks.

2 design (xml) problems.

So, major stuff for me is 4 RWG and Maps try to download. Rest are not programming bugs and I am guessing will fix in day or two. So you might have working version early next week that give room for proper fixation and packaging.. So 4th October seems very much possible. YAY!!!

50% fall damage (of current health!) makes sure that ALL zombies are nearly impossible to kill with only fall damage. They all will need a further gentle push to meet their maker

No. 50% of the damage calculated by the fall. Say a player fell 20m and takes 80 damage, but that same fall would do 40 damage to a zombie. Then the damage is clamped to 33% + 2 of their max health, which is the actual limiting factor.

I'm just saying that only 10% use electricity, because 90% quit in an hour and 1% of those 10% would know what to do with AND gates and such, so we can't priorize 1% stuff over bandits and going gold.

Umm, that's 0.1% stuff. ;)

Let's just say it's not very many.

And yes, making it a super complicated system is a waste of time in the grand scheme of things.

I wish. In the grand scheme of things, buckle your seat belt and prepare for landing.

This kinda landing?

So, major stuff for me is 4 RWG and Maps try to download. Rest are not programming bugs and I am guessing will fix in day or two. So you might have working version early next week that give room for proper fixation and packaging.. So 4th October seems very much possible. YAY!!!

Already went up to 14, so no one really knows how many we will end up fixing before it ships.

Yeah it takes 2 seconds to say, welp, that guy is dead and not play that save any more or manually delete it.

The issue is that you have to take the time to generate a new world - which, with RWG, is not trivial. (I use that time to get a snack.)

Plus, it removes the notion that your next playthrough will be on the same world as your previous character. You'd be surprised how important that is, half of the fun for me is discovering a new world and living in it.

I'm not saying that you'd be evil if you never implemented "dead is dead" mode. I'm just saying it's not as simple or convenient to start over as you make it sound.

Generally when they bump into railing, it is sideways and they attack or jump it. Digging is separate logic, that just says they can't path to you and you are below, so they dig. It triggers in some cases where I would rather it didn't. Needs research.

Partial blocks will probably always be an issue with the current tech. Block data really could use better info on what they contain (like sub voxels) and getting it quickly in the rotated state.

Could digging be restricted to soft blocks perhaps? Punching and clawing as well. With the demolisher in play and perhaps a pimped wraith or allowing radiated to damage steel as well, that might be enough of a challenge.

That would finally put an end to the idea that flesh and... circulatory fluid... zombies could claw through steel :)

I can imagine concrete, with bones scraping and whatnot, but steel?

When the demolisher comes into play, I'd like to have a base where I can keep the little zombies at bay without effort, and concentrate on the dangerous, bigger and special ones. If I fail that, the little ones could get empowered and hasten my defeat. Mainly shifting the late game towards fighting the special zombies, without having to sacrifice a feeling of superiority, at least regarding the smaller, less dangerous zombies.

Tried to keep it short this time :)

Where is Davega when u need him?

* Raises hand *

- - - Updated - - -

There's beating a dead horse and then... there's whatever it is you're doing.

Pretty sure it's illegal in many countries :)

- - - Updated - - -

I was just thinking the same exact thing lol

Lol I'm honored you are thinking about me. You're making me blush!

- - - Updated - - -

whos that??

It is le moi! The self-professed geologist on the forum here :)

- - - Updated - - -

eating salty nuts

Nah man, I lick all the salt off and sell them on as un-salted nuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, just looked, he is not under my desk

Wait.. If this is not you.. Then who's desk is this??

- - - Updated - - -

I bet he is smiling now, while writing your creditnails on a piece of paper.

Those who survive will beg after. And I am from his team.

#shake

Bro-fist!

More like breaking in to peoples homes and licking there rocks and leaving notes behind saying "If you do not start showing love to these rocks i'll show up every night to lick um if you don't".

Love, makes people do crazy things lol

One man's crazy is another man's job I guess :)

On a related note; Roland, I think you should put new rocks in your home. The old ones have lost their flavor.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn.. It's some ketchup I had to do..

thanks, that shows us a bit more on how much work you guys have put in and how fast.

keep it up

That number was visible in MM's video. Just saying. And as MM said .. not important. Yesterday I was trying a new packaging method in my code and we jump build number from 20 to 50 in 40 minute.. without adding a new feature. Sometime build number jump on just a label change too...

- - - Updated - - -

99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs in the code. Take one down, patch it around 117 little bugs in the code.

It is always my favourite tune.. and keep me in business..he he

Archived