Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I agree on power tools, all power tools are bad in A17, nail gun, auger, never need to use chainsaw, axe is much better. So, not sure if new tools are required or making those better is enough.

Oh, come on. We're getting new weapons and ammo in A18. So why not also new tools ?

Nobody complained about the new weapons and the new ammunition.

Hard to guess with all the changes and I have not done any A17 comparisons. There is definitely room for improvement, but functionality and bug fixing has been higher priority. I can make an 8k map in about 25 mins, but it would depend on your computer speed.

wtf kind of potato are you running on that it takes 25minutes?

Hell yeah i do brother, i was referring to that other guy who seems to insist you added diggers JUST to screw with underground players last year. They were ALWAYS in the cards, but like I mentioned, EA and all. Different things are focused on at different times.

It doesn't mean digging was never going to come back. Thats what I was trying to convince Mr "Its a conspiracy against my play style"

I used to LOVE the diggers in A12 and am glad they are back new and improved.

Ah cool. Yeah you really need to watch out for them early game. I keep thinking the easiest quests are the tier 1 and 2 digs, but most the time someone will drop in on you and there is nowhere to run. I stopped doing the 1 meter straight down hole, I dig a hole with a ramp so I can always escape now, because sure enough they somehow find their way to my location even if I'm only down there for 30 seconds and they were 1/4 mile away that last I checked.

Ok, that is true, it does suck gas slow enough not to be that much of an issue, agree. Although I'm not sure how that works with less gas now in A18.

Lame is in once one has a gas generator that's it, essentially, there's nothing further to work towards. I always made establishing solar power a late game achievement in A16 because it took that long to find, let alone afford, enough solar panels and a solar bank. The benefit is, with a decent battery bank, you can just set it up and never worry about it again. That's the reward. Sure I could occasionally check the gas level and get near the same effect, it just cuts that achievement lineage short is all. One accomplishment level beyond gas would be nice, it worked fine before.

Its still 1000 fuel to fill. To put things in perspective its 10k to fill the 4x4. So 1/10th of a tank to fill a generator and it lasts a long time, at least for me it did, I had 2 lights, a motion light on my garage, a turret and 2 blade traps that I ran part time.

I guess that makes sense, as long as the solar panel/bank thing gets fixed then I am fine with it as is. Agree about not wanting to overcomplicate it all, solar is enough, as long as I can find, or make, a solar bank this time.

I guess there are some performance issues so they are kept rare as hell. I disagree with that, but we need more time to optimize it, then we can make them more available.

Its still 1000 fuel to fill. To put things in perspective its 10k to fill the 4x4. So 1/10th of a tank to fill a generator and it lasts a long time, at least for me it did, I had 2 lights, a motion light on my garage, a turret and 2 blade traps that I ran part time.

i forgot, you said electrical doors etc, now is EVERY door able to be used in that fashion or only certain ones? i think i saw your garage door was able to be used with that motion sensor to open it?

Mr Mole, I have a bone to pick with you.

I am extremely pumped for the release of A18, I am checking the forums at 15:00 every day in work to see your latest comments :D

Another, much larger issue. I bought the game on xBox in 2017 and as a result of getting completely hooked I went out and dropped 1800 notes on a gaming PC purely to this game on PC.

Worth it!

So swapping out your normal armor for a radiation suit isn't bad enough with the up to a plus 200 GS??

That whole area will be for people who no longer care how many times they die. Die 50-100 times (who cares) and come out with stuff that makes the normal game broken...

Needs a rethink.

You make an interesting point, but there are several use cases to consider:

How is a naked guy going to get his stuff back? With no protection it will be nearly insta death in radiation. So unless you have a seriously stocked up pile of rad meds or spare rad suit/ rad modded armor you will never make it back to get your things.

What makes you think you can get your gear back?

A naked guy will have no chance, no matter how hard he tries.

Your assuming +200 gs is going to drop amazing loot. It drops a lot of brown, just a higher chance for better.

Don't forget losing XP each time you die, well you did and it does cap at "buried into the red" I think.

Time wasted, that horde is coming?

Maybe rad zones rot your bed roll pretty fast, so don't forget travel times. Beds might have cool down like RUST if we allow multiple beds and unclaimed bedrolls in the will decay, only claimed beds might persist.

To me I don't see any issues with it. There will be mild radiation in the entire wasteland, and heavy radiation in POIs. A naked won't have a chance.

The issue is that you have to take the time to generate a new world - which, with RWG, is not trivial. (I use that time to get a snack.)

Plus, it removes the notion that your next playthrough will be on the same world as your previous character. You'd be surprised how important that is, half of the fun for me is discovering a new world and living in it.

I'm not saying that you'd be evil if you never implemented "dead is dead" mode. I'm just saying it's not as simple or convenient to start over as you make it sound.

How is making the game delete your save/world going to improve your experience beyond the 2 seconds it takes to delete it? Generating a new world will always take time.

You don't have to generate a new world. Start a new game using that world if you died quickly and hadn't seen much of it. Either way a dead is dead option doesn't do anything two clicks can't do unless I'm missing something.

You make an interesting point, but there are several use cases to consider:

How is a naked guy going to get his stuff back? With no protection it will be nearly insta death in radiation. So unless you have a seriously stocked up pile of rad meds or spare rad suit/ rad modded armor you will never make it back to get your things.

What makes you think you can get your gear back?

A naked guy will have no chance, no matter how hard he tries.

Your assuming +200 gs is going to drop amazing loot. It drops a lot of brown, just a higher chance for better.

Don't forget losing XP each time you die, well you did and it does cap at "buried into the red" I think.

Time wasted, that horde is coming?

Maybe rad zones rot your bed roll pretty fast, so don't forget travel times. Beds might have cool down like RUST if we allow multiple beds and unclaimed bedrolls in the will decay, only claimed beds might persist.

To me I don't see any issues with it. There will be mild radiation in the entire wasteland, and heavy radiation in POIs. A naked won't have a chance.

Maybe the Radiation come and goes like a dust storm

yes. as long as you are not play/testing an old build, then yes you are good to work in that model. Build numbers are important to Dev and Test teams to make sure that bugs/fixes are lined up for the testers.

Sometimes there are benefits to me being half a build ahead of them if there is an NRE or crash we can fix it before they get their daily build.

Oh, come on. We're getting new weapons and ammo in A18. So why not also new tools ?

Nobody complained about the new weapons and the new ammunition.

I hope to add 3 tiers of scavenging tools for the scavenger. Tier 1 is wrench (slowed a bit) Tier 2 is a ratchet (faster a bit than now), Tier 3 is a cordless impact driver. (very fast). The player will fell like a nascar pit man shredding a car in a second with his power tool.

I cannot believe i am seeing so many comments from players complaining about diggers. I have underground bases but know how to get around having any diggers. I can go past 100 days and not have 1 zombie even try and dig. Instead of complaining just work out how to stop it from ever happening. I am that bored with never having any problems underground that in Alpha 18 i will be keeping my base on top

@Madmole

I'm very much interested in trying out the agility build. As someone mentioned, it doesn't have much stuff that helps you during a horde night.

Have you considered giving it some crowd control perks that would fit agility build?

For example:

A 4x4 net you can craft and throw on the ground that slows zombies that walk over it until it degrades (broken by zombies' feet)

A flare (CM had a flare model at some point) that distracts zombies from players for a brief moment.

and madmole is there going to be like Somethings like Resources in the water(no scuba suit cuz that wouldn't make any sense, its Navezgane, Arizona , not Florida)

But maybe some reeds that have strong Fiber to make stuff.

fish like Salmon, Bass , Sturgeon , catfish etc

and maybe some new zombies that live in the water

like a Feral mudman a spider zombie that looks like a feral and runs fast in the water and can fling mud

IDk

but the main question is

will the Lake and river have resources

and will water have better physics

Mr Mole, I have a bone to pick with you.

I am extremely pumped for the release of A18, I am checking the forums at 15:00 every day in work to see your latest comments :D

Another, much larger issue. I bought the game on xBox in 2017 and as a result of getting completely hooked I went out and dropped 1800 notes on a gaming PC purely to this game on PC.

Worth it!

Nice. Yes I buy a new rig for Elder Scrolls/Fallout every time it comes out. Was disappointed with 76, but the new pc is nice regardless.

Maybe when radiation gets added in area like the wasteland

you could get the Armored Hazmat Suit

it has the same strength as iron and protection

but gives you Rad protection

No, we'll make Radiation resistance mods that go into your armor. The suit will have low armor and highest protection so there is risk/reward. A poi deep in the wasteland might require wearing hazmat suit to get there, then switching to armor when you get ready to go in.

Archived