Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Nope.

That no to crowd funding the next game or nope your not sure? Curious what model you guys will you the next time around. Imo, the best model is something in between.

For example, 85% core features built while leaving 15% open to community ideas. Maybe charge extra for early access and special early adopter items like cosmetics or items with just a slight advantage to normal buyers when game goes gold.

@madmole question from a PVP guy. in A17 the HUNTER mod was a must have for high level encounters, (i.e. a max stat player fight) and anyone losing said fight had no chance to return to the fight without backup gear sets with said HUNTER mod. what im wondering is if there have been any stat changes to balance this out or if the mod has been removed from A18. personally, i would rather have the players stats account for most of the damage exchange in a fight rather than a mod, or maybe a weapon stat.

additionally, if anyone from the team would like to play on a PVP server and would like someone to show them the ropes, you have a guaranteed spot on my squad.

Ah....back in my youthful days of pie in the sky pimp dreams. Alas, reality has wrung me dry of dreams of trains and zip lines and.....apparently even voxel terrain in some strange alternate timeline.

Oh the disillusionment....

There was a discussion a few pages back that hit home. Friends and I started playing 7 days back before smooth terrain because it was basically Minecraft for adults. We had all of the creativity of Minecraft, but with guns and base killing horde nights.

IMO probably wouldn't be playing it today if it didn't offer that gameplay.

Again why is everyone taking the black and white on this? I said if we made the terrain static, and had voxel buildings we'd have saved tons of time and had 60 fps on potatoes and 500 zeds on screen. Yeah lets cling to mining instead of take the game where it needed to go.

But you'd have a clone of a hundred other games. Nothing unique. I'm very thankful you took the path you did, it led to this unique masterpiece. If you choose to forego the fully voxel world in you next game I'm sure you'll have some buyers. I'm also sure you'll have some who don't. I'd be in the latter group. Shooters ain't my thing.

If you remove voxels you'd be in the same league as Dying Light 2.

You don't want that...

Are you kidding?! DL has ziplines! Roland - you get back here!

BTW - I found/started 7 days to die because I was searching for Minecraft mods... and 'MineCraft' was in the KS info. That was 3+ years and approx 7000 hours ago. Thanks a lot TFP.

Voxel / Not Voxel? Caves / no caves? Would I have tried without those? Definitely. Would I be as addicted?

Minecraft/Skyrim/Tower Defense? Base building Destructible Zombie Survival?

Having an opportunting watching TFP learn and build the game and themselves, and being a very small part of that?

Expanding opportunities and time sinking (not syncing) by playing every major overhaul mod and learning modding myself?

Done.

Its not learning, its being a mindless robot copying someone elses design. I want to try stuff myself, to me that is where all the fun is, and people are trying to steal my fun.

Sorry Joel, wasn't my intention when I gave you that advice. Was just reading older post and saw you mention some issue you might have with fence placement and I went into problem solving mode.

Personally found the game through daughter who watched a youtuber playing the game, she made me watch a few videos then I bought her the game and got myself a copy as there was a dual pack on offer, being playing ever since, bought 3 more copies and now regularly co op with son and her.

I get what MM saying but I think he is airbrushing over the way the community/game has grown due to the long development phase, every alpha has expanded the player base because of the unique overall game.

Think TFP are doing great but MM getting tired by the MF bug delay and is on here a bit too much, reading criticisms and rehashed topics, feeling frustrated by people not reading or focusing on A18.

Personally I want A18 it looks/ sounds awesome but will await with baited breath till it's out, I'm still playing A17.4 so thanks You TFP for the hours of fun may it long continue.

I'm saying if we just made the terrain static and still had fully buildable destroyable voxel houses/pois it would have saved us 3-4 years of headaches. 2 minimum, and the game would be more successful because it would look great, run great, and do 95% of the things you can do now in 1/3 the development time, then think about what we could add without the time wasted on water and voxel terrain. IMO we would have had a better game. How does 500 zombies on screen sound compared to mining, at 200 fps?

I'll take fewer zombies with voxel terrain. There are dozens of games that have lots of content but static terrain.

If that's where the game needs to go... so be it. /shrug

Ah....back in my youthful days of pie in the sky pimp dreams. Alas, reality has wrung me dry of dreams of trains and zip lines and.....apparently even voxel terrain in some strange alternate timeline.

You could ask the Pimps to include the zipline code/xml in a future patch so you can add them via mod. Tracks and trains would be dope though.

Its fine, I know its fun to impart your wisdom on people but I like to do things on my own. Besides A18 is a new beast, old methods might not work.

Well, do non-modded A18 Blood Moon WITH the Demo zombies (5000 damage) turned on and live. That's all the "street cred" you would probably need.

Most experienced players are probably thinking much of a conventional base will be destroyed when the Demo zombies arrive after someone deleted them (and the vultures) from the Day 91 BM.

Tower defense, crafting, looting and questing are the bread and butter to this game. Digging is not a core pillar and mining could easily be done without it as well. You could still use foundation blocks to level out a nice place to live or even flatten vertices of static terrain some and have 95% of the game, without 95% of the trouble.

Anyhow we might add it as an option at some point, and use telemetry to see how many people run that version and base our decisions on facts not emotional responses.

IMO a year after its release, 80% would be playing static terrain version because of better visuals, better FPS and they don't give a crap about mining. We could still plop down "earth blocks" to fill in spots etc and make trenches your just building it up instead of digging down its the same net base, just elevated higher. There could be craters from nukes you fill in and have a "basement" or "bunker".

Again we might not even bother we've solved everything except water already. A18 uses UNity's static terrain in the distance, with just voxels where you are in loaded chunks. So there aren't as much gains to make now as there would have been some years ago.

I think implementing this static terrain, as you are describing it, is going to be a ton of work. Also, of course a lot of people would play it, because your underground world is boring, make it more interesting, more threats and bring back the caves first. Digging is not part of the sauce (yet), because you don't make it so.

Also I would argue that the same thing wouldn't be popular in Minecraft, where the underground is actually fun and part of the core gameplay.

How does 500 zombies on screen sound compared to mining, at 200 fps?

Sounds great, but I presume you are exaggerating. I doubt removing destroyable terrain only, keeping all the destroyable pois would allow you to have 500 on screen. Jeez even AAA games don't have that many on screen. In a multiplayer game also? Lol ;)

"Bait and Switch" tactics on Minecraft players?

TFP didn't have a long term vision, but merely a series of "Elevator Pitch" ideas?

Those are the worst things I can think of, but it still doesn't negate the 1000's of hours of fun I've had.

#NotDisillusioned

Archived