Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Stating this for a friend...

Can we have some larger POI dungeons with multiple paths in the future? One more straight forward path with a crap ton of zombies to fight through, but also one (or more) paths that are more stealth compatible. It would be fun to fight through a few battles, but if ammo gets sucked up you can switch to the stealth route through part of it. I could see this being a thing for one of the Skyscraper POIs.

What would make the stealth path alluring to the stealth player but not to the "shoot first then ask questions" player?

Oh you're mistaken; I'm not arguing that the old poi's were better, I'm arguing that their design is better to have as a majority. I don't need "Good loot" in every poi, so I'm happy to go into a normal house that has some standard day 1 junk (clothes, few cans of food, maybe a cooking pot) and call it a day.

That's in fact what I want.

I would *love* the dungeon poi's to have special loot I can't get anywhere else, to make them worth the effort, but do you know what I find when I go through those poi's? Clothes, some cans of food, and a cooking pot. Oh yeh and the occasional pile of goodies, certainly nothing I *need*.

And that finite selection of poi's? With the new dynamic block system, it doesn't have to be that way. They could literally have the interior of every building different, if they designed it from a different point of view. Why does a desk have to be limited to open vs closed? Why can't it be a nightstand, a bookcase, a trap, or even a wall?

More to the point though, why does EVERY house have dozens of these pallets inside of them? They're like onions in chinese food... they're cheap, and they fill up the plate.

There are just too many valid arguments against the amount of dungeon poi's. Thankfully TFP agrees with me on this one, and is adding more "generic" ones to the mix.

Lol, they are all avid costco / home depot shoppers who went on a shopping spree a few days after the outbreak of the infection...

...I may joke about them but they definitely add more to the game than they detract. As a POI creator, it adds more detail to the world which is a welcome addition when compared to the limited decor options in previous alphas.

best for demolishers may be delaying terrain tactics. such as barbed wire to slow them down at a distance. then shoot him to explode when the other zeds pile on him. granted this will only work early in the nigh for as he explodes and takes some of the battle field control out, others would come in.

Just dont make demolishers too common, it would really detract from gameplay if every 5th one was a demolish in late game.

It'd be cool if electric fences set off the timer, so that they got through with their fuse lit... :)

Shoot them anywhere but the bomb and they die doing no damage. Shoot the bomb and he blows up. He will certainly cause action from the players, if left unattended he'll punch a hole through your defenses, if you shoot the bomb while he's near your base your base will take a lot of damage. The strategy will be to waste ammo on his head, or lure him away and shoot the bomb. Either way it gets players out of their comfort zone and is balance IMO.

Sounds pretty awesome. My base needs some challenge. As long as there is a method to deal with him like you said then it should get really interesting.

Love the unique zeds btw. The more zed variety (as in abilities) the better :D

Maybe the demolisher only ever walks or jogs. Could try that as a balance to him being a tank.

That would be a good balance, imo. I don't have the time to spend the entire horde night watching out for demolishers. No one does. :p

Another solution is people could just build ramps at strategic points around their bases, not for the zombies to be tricked by, but so that whenever a player sees a demolisher, they can leap off their base, travel off (since they can outrun all zombies anyway), kill the demolisher elsewhere, and use the ramp to get back into the base. (Or they could utilize underground entrances/exits.)

- - - Updated - - -

MM, don't know if you have answered this yet or care to, but I for one would love to see a walk through of your base after the last horde night. I, as well as many others I am sure, are also wondering how those zeds were getting behind you.

You're going to possibly get multiple demolishers per horde at late gamestage hordes. Setting all of that up just for 1-2 kills isn't worth it imo. :)

Intelligent design. No, not that kind, the kind that means you place the poles in such a way that allows for multiple demolishers.

Intelligent design. No, not that kind, the kind that means you place the poles in such a way that allows for multiple demolishers.

And if one of the demolishers is next to one of the poles, and obliterates it? Now you're talking about multiple separate circuits.

For all we know, only projectiles trigger the demolisher's explosives. (Player fire, dart traps, turrets.)

Exactly! Now you get it. Intelligent design.

Like I said, who says that electric fences might trigger the demolisher's explosives? Maybe only projectiles do?

Why not just lure the demolisher away from your base and set him off somewhere off yonder? You'll be able to outrun all the zombies anyway. Just saying.

Going to play devils advocate here. I would like to see another horde night like you had last time with the damage the demolishers do set to what you think they should be *(Just saw faatals post below where he says it is gone from 200 to 5000)*. You did say they didn't do enough damage. With damage increased and if you get a similar amount of them as you did before I dont think there would have been much left to the area of the base you were fighting in. I would guess you would have lost a lot of your work area and the crates that were in it. I really do want to see what we will be up against when we reach the gamestage to get that many of them.

"How are these guys getting through my back door!"

...lube confirmed.

- - - Updated - - -

My only wish is that demolishers destroyed blocks with their explosions and not entities. Reverse it. People care more about their ♥♥♥♥ than their health. It'd be more awesome.

So which part did you consider the bow drop moment? The gyro loss? (That was funny)

Per Joel's request, demo explosion block damage has been increased from 200 to 5000.

The detonation time delay has been reduced from 5 to 2 seconds, which is still long enough to do a melee hit and run away without dying.

Looks very good. I think their games are geared for an amazing short (30 hours?) experience, but after you beat it I doubt there is any replay ability right away.

They actually have a lot to content...I think the first game took us over 120 to complete, but they also generate random quests after that, I think.

Thing is unlike 7 days, it's a prebuild world that gets repetitive after that long.

But they do have some amazingly fun gameplay mechanics that would fit into 7days, which is why I mentioned it.

Btw, loved the 84 video! It's already been mentioned and increasing block damage on the demolisher is a better way to go, I think. He just didn't have the destruction capability to make him a bigger threat.

A concern at this point is the sheer amount of ammo needed...and it looks like the only viable option at that point is the bigger guns that do heavy damage.

I would like to see more block damage from grenades though (easy to change in the xml) and I like you are considering the trajectory arc as a learned skill.

Looking forward to your next horde night, and seeing if you have improved base defenses, and enough ammo.

Per Joel's request, demo explosion block damage has been increased from 200 to 5000.

The detonation time delay has been reduced from 5 to 2 seconds, which is still long enough to do a melee hit and run away without dying.

Do you know if traps also trigger the demolisher's explosives, if hit in the "sweet spot"? (Dart traps, turrets, electric fences, blade traps, etc.)

Archived