Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Do you guys ever even read or listen to anything we say? There are over 70 new remnant house POIS with no path, no loot room, just basic easy shelter with 0-4 zombies. A fixer upper or quick stop for some basics maybe a hidden gem in a few. Not sure why all the crying, its a wip game. I don't see the problem but I'm playing A18. I like the dungeons but there are lots of ruins to explore too.

Yeh we read what you have to say, but like to argue with each other anyway. =)

Mining is fixed in A18. There are huge signs that say COAL HERE DUMMY with an arrow all over the world now. I made them for me, because I am a dummy and coudln't find coal, or any ore tbh.

Doh, I hope that was sarcasm. That will be hell on a PvP server. If it's true that there will be an easy indicator, have the ability to turn it off?

I know this will fall on deaf ears, but when the whining about demolishers doing too much damage and increased blood moon zombie counts commences, please dont give in and nerf everything all to hell.

yep... and that will only happen after they (the players), get to a high GS level. and MM already said they will be doing more damage as MM's encounter is the debut for the demolishers. :)

we really expected more damage but he will get better.

Madmole

You spoke of arc and trajectory earlier regarding weapons.

Will is it planned or does it exist with elevated running entities in A18.

I ask because, presently unless jump is activated, there is no fall arc associated with speed. My visual

example if im being chased

on a roof at higher level than neighboring building i and zombies are running. unless i jump and its a spider chasing me gravity is

almost instantaneous. To test so you can see, use a motorcycle and drive at turbo speed off elevated incline. the arc seems to brief.

Basically can we have a variable for gravitational arc added to xml. Future request.

He will never explode unless the box is shot, and it will be 5k period since there is one condition it explodes, when the player shoots it. Explosions do not hurt terrain except tnt.

Sounds awesome. Will the demolisher spawn in POIs? Might be a hex on SI...

So what's the point of the Demolisher if you're now going to make him just a different skin of the Cop? Having one be a block threat and the other an entity threat seems better to me.

I believe Demolishers do a lot more block damage with their fists than cops do. And cops spit where Demolishers do not. The fact that they both blow up does not make them the same.

The Demolisher in MMs video went through the iron bars at the top of his ramp in a couple hits. That was impressive and scary! I look forward to seeing them and finding ways to mitigate them.

Caz

Demolisher explosion at 5k sounds like another #gate. Taking out full concrete walls by one misplaced shot doesn't sound too great for the average player. 4k could work, taking out pre-damaged blocks, still giving a chance for repairs and/or a little time to relocate for the next boom.

I personally don't mind which you choose, I'll deal, but a friend of mine is going to ragequit..

Nice horde night though, looking better and better - and love the "look and feel" of the demo as is :)

Thanks for the reply. I’m hoping the 70 POIs you mentioned will eliminate my concerns. That combined with not seeing the same POI twice and randomizing trader quests would definitely put things in the right direction. I guess I won’t know until A18 is in my hands :)

Loc

Duplicate pois is still in, that might be 19 before we fix it.

I'm excited to see what you guys settle on. With that said an enemy that requires you to leave your base doesn't sound very fun in a base defense game. Just my 2c

It doesn't require it. You can put 500 rounds in his face or whatever it takes to kill one, or shoot that detonator when he's off in a field and isn't there yet.

@madmole Just giving some feedback referring to non-dungeon POI's. Now before I continue, I want to make it clear that I organize non-dungeon POI's into two distinct categories: bog standard A16 houses, and POI's that have a lot of personality to them but still have somewhat of an "outdated" (but still welcomed, imo) design, such as fire stations, military bases, etc.; I will be discussing the latter in this post. Regarding many non-dungeon POI's (Meaty Burgers, trailer parks, the junk yard, Poopy Pants Daycare, military bases, fire stations, the Adult Movie Theater, etc.), I would just like to express my opinion in that besides the fact they are not "up to date" (dungeon-style crawls), I still believe they hold much value in "modern 7D2D" due to their "unique personalities". Despite the fact that they aren't as interactive as many recently designed/redesigned POI's, like I said, I still believe they hold their ground in terms of worth and interest. And to anyone else reading this, no, A17 has not completely done away with dungeons. Read the examples above.

I'm just curious if you plan on updating these sorts of POI's, or if you share the same opinions on them? (Their justification for sticking around, I mean.)

Not all updates require adding a path.

On the dungeon poi’s, I guess I just role play a bit. The empty, non-dungeon poi’s were either abandoned when zombie apocalypse happened or people didn’t fortify at all. The dungeon poi’s were peoples attempts to fortify against the zombies, putting their ‘goodies’ at end place. The pathway to the loot in the dungeon is the way the zombies broke in and made their way to the loot room where the people were. In this scenario, I’d expect many of these since many people would attempt to keep zombies out.

As for first night place to put my bedroll down...all I need is 4 ladders, 5 wood frames and a hatch to be safe all the way through the first horde night. Build on the side of any big building like the firehouse or survivors building. A non-dungeon house can work for some but with the above method I can have a very safe base needing only a small amount of wood and little to no work. When surviving, you need ingenuity not asking the developers to make it easier for you because you can’t figure out how to be safe. If I have more time, I build on top of a water tower which is safe except for horde night, while building on the side of a building is safe at least through day 7 horde, I haven’t tried day 14 horde but it might even work there.

I’m happy with the changes you have currently explained for A18. I do not want to see fewer dungeons, but more basic buildings I guess are fine though personally I think there’s enough already. This incredible game just keeps getting better.

Doh, I hope that was sarcasm. That will be hell on a PvP server. If it's true that there will be an easy indicator, have the ability to turn it off?

Its just above ground ore deposits like we used to have-- the difference being that these are actually connected to underground veins of the same type. Did the ore deposits above ground in earlier alphas cause problem in PvP servers?

Its just above ground ore deposits like we used to have-- the difference being that these are actually connected to underground veins of the same type. Did the ore deposits above ground in earlier alphas cause problem in PvP servers?

This will be a welcome change, imo. I spent the entire in-game night yesterday searching for a lead vein underground, but alas, all the gravel deposits that contained lead went to nowhere. Smh

Enjoy!!!!

Check out madmole defend his base on day 84 for some super crazy action, and get a first look at the demolisher zombie!

#7DaysToDie

I just had a chance to watch.

Did you find out were they are getting in?

Look first, then shoot.

Please tell me that you are going to add a full size ammo box of 200 rounds to the M-60?

What I don't get is why you kept shooting zombies if they were headed to the blade trap after worried about ammo.

What happened to the blade trap on your right anyway? Too much love from the hoard? :)

You may want to layer your turrets to cover you when you have to back up. That center one is too close and is missing most of the time. Not counting the Giro-copter OFC. Maybe put the 9mm turret on top above the doorway so it can cover you when you have to fall back.

That 9mm turret seems really good and seems to be the most efficient way to kill. The best bang for your buck.

A dart trap by the door maybe would be good.

Having a 9mm as a backup would be good. It may do less damage against them but I know that it has less kick therefor more accurate at close range for head shots. Plus it fires faster than the magnum.

Placing a blade trap on ether side of your ramp would really help cut down on tourism.

Thanks for showing off those Demolishers, they were a real blast. ;)

I might have enough time to read up to present, eventually. :)

It would be interesting if when zombies came across a solid wall, they would attempt to dig under the wall to make a tunnel under it and emerge on the other side (much like in medieval warfare) or if they would try to collapse the wall by digging under it. Future AI change perhaps? (:

Dogs for sure would be cool to see digging if they can't get to what they want

I quit doing art. The game is fun because my focus is now on design and balance. Being a jack of all trades is ok when your a 3 man shop but at some point you have to focus and become awesome at one thing the one that matters the most to you. SOrry not the answer you wanted. I'll see if we can get some back in.

I understand that you are off the texture train. Thank you.

Archived