Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

What do you guys think about zombies going after live animals? Right now it doesn't make sense that there are zombie dogs. Vultures and zombie bears make sense. They got the infection while consuming infected human meat. Dogs don't generally kill or eat dead humans. Maybe the owner was really neglecting them and turned, then the dog exacted its revenge? Zombie wolves would make more sense. But going back to the original question, if zombies would attack live animals, then the answer to zombie dogs is simple: they got infected by a zombie and turned. It would also help to explain why guts are all over the place.

Zombies go after anything to eat so it would make sense they could catch a dog, turn it, and then that dog could attack good dogs and turn them. I am Legend anyone?

Dogs are also scavengers so for all we know eating dead zombie remains would also cause infection.

Zombies go after anything to eat so it would make sense they could catch a dog, turn it, and then that dog could attack good dogs and turn them. I am Legend anyone?

Dogs are also scavengers so for all we know eating dead zombie remains would also cause infection.

It's awesome to see them off in the distance chasing a deer.

Have you never noticed the claw wounds on the dogs? They were infected by zombie bears in a fight.

Good point.

By the way, wild dogs make no difference between humans and other meat. Both are simply a source of food. And they are not afraid of humans.

Wolves, on the other hand, are very shy animals. They normally avoid humans wherever possible.

Wolves attack zombies in plain sight. A zombie wolf is still warranted. It would still be nice for zombies to attack animals. If hit, the animal becomes infected and their meat would require antibiotics before consuming. It would also make killing an animal and harvesting it more critical before a zombie can come by and scarf it up. And maybe killing an animal can be used as a distraction to get away from a zombie horde. I mean, why should human meat be more preferable then animal meat to a zombie?

Good point.

Wolves attack zombies in plain sight. A zombie wolf is still warranted. It would still be nice for zombies to attack animals. If hit, the animal becomes infected and their meat would require antibiotics before consuming. It would also make killing an animal and harvesting it more critical before a zombie can come by and scarf it up. And maybe killing an animal can be used as a distraction to get away from a zombie horde. I mean, why should human meat be more preferable then animal meat to a zombie?

Game play always trumps realism in all game design discussions. Realism is an abstract at best and a guide for suspension of disbelief, and it loses all its power right there.

I agree with the concept, but is it implemented in game? I don't see zombies going after anything that moves, except me. The deer/pigs/rabbits/chickens all run away, which is really cool to watch. I watch wolves tearing at zombies in the distance (until it sees me, then it's thinking "Now this is gourmet" and comes after me), but never see a zombie attack it or a boar or a bear.

No you can't have something that big where zombies might be attracted, the cows would need to be real entities so the zombies can chase them and eat them and having sustainable meat is a bad idea IMO. A few eggs and feathers might be ok, and its just a box with probably no chickens you can even see in it, so no big performance loss there.

peta 'boxed chicken' tantrum incoming!

#freechicks

I agree with the concept, but is it implemented in game? I don't see zombies going after anything that moves, except me. The deer/pigs/rabbits/chickens all run away, which is really cool to watch. I watch wolves tearing at zombies in the distance (until it sees me, then it's thinking "Now this is gourmet" and comes after me), but never see a zombie attack it or a boar or a bear.

It used to be and was disabled due to constant pathing and combat, which caused more CPU use. Maybe when we get more optimized we can turn it back on.

The farming mod already does all of this and more. IMHO these ideas are best left to modders because they already have them done. If the basic game is balanced then these add ons become beneficial, but the pimps need to get all that balance and groundwork done for those modders.

That is true, of course and I agree with you. Even as I was writing it, I was thinking it was too too for the base game. Thank you for the response and feedback though :)

Just a question: will zombie cops ever return to their former glory, damage or health wise? Currently in A17, they are just regular larger zombies with the ability to puke and explode upon taking x amount of damage, which I find to be a shame, imo. While I don't think they should be absolute tanks, it would be cool if they were just tougher than the average zombie (by at least 2x). Just sharing my thoughts.

...really, this is your personal point of view?!

looks like i missed something about you... :)

I thought you were "proud" of traders, and this is your "fu*ng awesome feature" of the game.

I'm from 1% of those players who believe that traders generally contraindicated in this game ....or, maybe, i'm just 1 person.

No one can please everyone, but one important step is trying to please as many people as possible. Yes, it's unfortunate (for the 1%) that the game has changed in a way that you don't agree with, but if only 1% of people disagree with these changes, that's a big victory.

The chicken 'forge' idea gave me another idea. I know this is may be 'too much' and therefore not worth it, but here it is:

For the chicken forge you have you place the block and it (maybe) takes up a 4x4 area and has a little chicken coop and a low fence. When you put your chickens into it, they spawn in the fenced area with very basic animations and 0 ai. Then you deposit food for the chickens and get back eggs and feathers.

What if you did a similar things with cows? Only instead of producing feathers and eggs it would produce hide and meat?

Just some thoughts. Rough drafting out loud really. Have a great day everyone.

Why are we calling it a "chicken forge" when a "chicken coop" would make so much more sense? :p

It used to be and was disabled due to constant pathing and combat, which caused more CPU use. Maybe when we get more optimized we can turn it back on.

Is there a way to make the world "static" until something interacts with it? Kind of like occlusion. The vast majority of the world is not being interacted with at any given time and those parts would be static. Until the player, entities, events, bullets/explosions cause interaction then they would become voxel.

I don't know anything about programming (yet), I just get crazy ideas from time to time so disregard if this is baloney.

This, coupled with occlusion, would see massive performance gains in theory right?

Archived