Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

For a variable length bridge, the POIs should also have long enough support columns into the sea-bed, as to not run into structural integrity problems.

They probably should be reaching towards the bedrock even, at least fill up under the pillars. But height is variable too, while the prefab is generally static. So can be tricky without just raising all terrain or get floating bridges.

Now that is not what I wanted to hear :( lol. I was hoping all the kinks got worked out and they would be added in for A18, well maybe A19 RWG then.

Bridges in RWG seem like they would be quite the hurdle to get right.

EDIT: Lol,there I go not reading ahead again.

Its moving papers around on the desk and calling that an accomplishment. If you kill the trader, and another one respawns, why bother? For a simulation? There are 50 supportive tickets from this task you don't see because you aren't a game designer. This could set us back 6 months. Just to humor you I'll post a few:

*Removing land claim allows players to stay at traders on horde night

*Having a destroyable trader fort means players will box him in or land claim him themselves, destroy the stairs, dig a hole under him so he's at bedrock then pour concrete on his head.

*Giving trader defense systems adds more cpu to trader areas, auto turrets, traps, etc all add expense. He might need henchmen, so even more expense and slower FPS.

*If he respawns how does he reach the trader area if its destroyed or new base built there?

*Trader dies and quests are broken, assigning quests to a new ref has to be done.

*Trader kills player, they want to get their stuff back and are in a death loop because auto fire guys is on.

*Someone accidentally fires a gun, they are marked for death

I could go on and make 50-100 foreseeable issues and then we'd get 100's of bugs, all for a pointless simulation here because at the end of the day there is still a trader standing there selling stuff and giving out quests after all that work.

NO thanks, we'll stick to making games not simulations and random ideas that don't really add any value and take 1000's of man hours to pull off and get shippable. BTW, this requires good bandits anyway or "human combat AI", so it would have to wait until then for sure, but I can say we're never going to do it with 99% certainty. We're still a pretty small company so we have to pick our battles very carefully, and we like features that actually add value. This one is a ton of work for very little return other than immersion.

This would completely be a 7D2D 2 thing, but what I'd love to be able to play is a choice based system on if you're a bandit, trader or random player.

Add in factions and a few basic economics and it suddenly gets interesting. If you're a trader, your job (elected straight from the Duke) is to look after the compound, sell to NPCs, repair the base, seek supplies. The Duke sends added supplies to sell via his henchmen (bandits). If you leave the base for too long, base gets damaged too much or you simply don't sell enough items, the Duke gets angry and sends bandits after you.

If you're a bandit, you have to kill who the Duke sends you after (ie, traders who have run away from their duties). Again, disobey him and bandits come after you.

Can even add a few other roles, like become a carpenter and your job is to repair houses for the Duke, be a gardener/hunter/miner, etc. The game offers so many alternative possibilities to how we are currently playing it. Of course, the idea wouldn't be to stay at the role the Duke gives you for long (even though the Bandits will come after you), but I think it would add a lot of feeling to the game.

For a variable length bridge, the POIs should also have long enough support columns into the sea-bed, as to not run into structural integrity problems.

actually... I would love collapsing bridges... if the water is too deep (lets say bridge = 0) at like -10 and is long enough, the bridge either collapses when you get in range or when you drive over it.

Both would be awesome :D

mmhmmm…… laugh it up rock boy.

You are gonna miss making fun of my manhood for the next 9 days when I am in Ireland and probably won't use the internet much. Don't everyone miss me too much! I WILL be back!

i'd like to say it''l be quiet here but someone will step up to take your place..... :)

enjoy your time away from the madness :)

mmhmmm…… laugh it up rock boy.

You are gonna miss making fun of my manhood for the next 9 days when I am in Ireland and probably won't use the internet much. Don't everyone miss me too much! I WILL be back!

About time. Ok, Madmole, SnowDog is gone...you can release the Kraken

Bridges can be a tricky thing to place. They need to area (streets, terrain and water) to be prepared carefully to fit.

I can have a look at that when A18 experimental comes out. Specifically what changed with the world files and how suitable the bridge POIs are for placing them in a generated world.

Madmole mentioned he has seen some in rwg.

@Devs, Q&A T, Anyone at TFP that might have the answer This is going to be a weird question but bare with me. I know nothing of how far the gaming industry has come or is currently on a path towards regarding the topic of my question, I'm simply asking out of curiosity. So I do apologize in advance if this a dumb thing to ask.

Are there any plans for "advanced machine learning and neural networks" for 7D2D zombie AI?

where or why is that a bug.... it's zombie stealth mode. (you know.... like the Predator) :) <grabs pedal bike and pedals away fast while stamina lasts>

btw... i havent seen or bumped into anything invisible lately (in game and current build) if that helps. :)

Translation, occlusion is fixed. :)

- - - Updated - - -

actually... I would love collapsing bridges... if the water is too deep (lets say bridge = 0) at like -10 and is long enough, the bridge either collapses when you get in range or when you drive over it.

Both would be awesome :D

Samsies. Buildings, too. Some fun memories looting a building and it starts collapsing...

All sounds good when it all works as it should but the ROI does seem low based on the amount of work needed. Definitely seems like a lower priority to me.

Yeh no doubt but at least most of the tech is already in the game, it just needs to be repurposed.

- - - Updated - - -

You meant:

"Occlusion is 100% fixed TFPs promise. No taking backsies, if not you all get free mugs."

Mug still feels weird to the touch, gonna use it as a center piece.

With the removal of level gates, the reintroduction of some loot-based progression (with options outside of the foreboding power of RN-Gesus! examples include schematics, books, etc.), and of course, all the new content, I can definitely see A18 being one of the greats. ^^ Great work to you all (ie from you all)!

Yes 18 was fun two months ago, but now is just really fun with all the little balance tweaks and polish we've done.

If shale deposits and gas usage is basically the same as A17 then I'm glad you did that.

In A17, I don't understand why people don't drive motor vehicles all the time.

Keep up the great work, looking forward to playing an A18 agility or strength build... soon! :D

Don't forget fortitude wolverine build, its a ton of fun and when things get nasty pull out ol' painless.

So far the sewing books seem to be the least desired. If you didn't drastically nerf clothes in loot, I'm gonna have them found long before I expect to find the books. Even the bonus skill (about military clothes), which I expect to obtain in the very late game. Only pockets skill seems useful. Does clothes also have random stats?

Other book series are very desired though.

The pockets are awesome. I agree its nothing special, but if we come up with other clothing mod ideas we can make one of the books unlock that and shuffle some things around. Yes clothing has random stats.

I heard Joel's brother in the last stream video say that bandits were coming into alpha 19? Could have been just a mistake since he said it in passing. If so that is big news.

Possibly coming to 19. It depends if we do a small 19 before xmas or a big 19 next spring /early summer.

Watching the last gameplay stream. There seems to be still quite a lot of issues with the object culling. (popping in and vanishing furniture specifically).

It that resolved already?

Probably not, object culling is turned off at the moment to debug the new tree culling.

Question:

From A16 to 17 there were changes about how Blocks worked and Prefabs from Players needed a Converter to work again.

Due to the Blockshape Menu, are we getting Problems again? Are A17 Buildings of Players compatible with A18?

Thanks

I would say more compatible, but there are always thing getting depreciated. No major changes AFAIK.

Archived